PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Strong..

test

GrtGzu
09-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Has anybody seen the Sunday paper yet? I'm trying to read about Cleveland news and get the grill started, yet I'm seeing stuff about how Barrett Strong is having problems with getting royalties out of Motown for the "Money" song he wrote...

He did admit that he didn't pay enough attention to his finances, but yet it seems wrong that the info he shoulda had wasn't made available to him until the patent office made some changes a couple years ago...I really hope some sort of agreement can be reached, because that song made TONS of "lootage"...Why would they deliberately take his name off the credits? I need some background info on this, if anyone knows..

Next article up: seems as though you guys got a bunch of dogs running loose and quite wild....[[what in the entire "heck"?)

Heck, I thought it was "just us"....Time to go start the grill before Mr. Gzu gets his shorts in a wad...

Have a Wonderful Holiday....*Gzu...

Motown4Ever518
09-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Has anybody seen the Sunday paper yet? I'm trying to read about Cleveland news and get the grill started, yet I'm seeing stuff about how Barrett Strong is having problems with getting royalties out of Motown for the "Money" song he wrote...

He did admit that he didn't pay enough attention to his finances, but yet it seems wrong that the info he shoulda had wasn't made available to him until the patent office made some changes a couple years ago...I really hope some sort of agreement can be reached, because that song made TONS of "lootage"...Why would they deliberately take his name off the credits? I need some background info on this, if anyone knows..

Next article up: seems as though you guys got a bunch of dogs running loose and quite wild....[[what in the entire "heck"?)

Heck, I thought it was "just us"....Time to go start the grill before Mr. Gzu gets his shorts in a wad...

Have a Wonderful Holiday....*Gzu...

I pray that this is not the case regarding Mr. Strong and 'Money". I seem to recall reading that Mr. Whitfield had assured Mr. Strong that if they partnered up, Mr. Strong would be guaranteed x amount in royalties per year. On the subject, look at some of the lyrics that he wrote, I don't know if he or for that matter Mr. Whitfield get enough credit as songwriters when one is thinking Motown, or for that matter music.

RossHolloway
09-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I would think that Mr. Strong would receive more royalties from his songwriting than from his recording of Money, which was written by Berry Gordy and Janie Bradford. During the late '60s Barrett was Norman Whitfield's primary song writing partner, including the monster hit I Heard It Through the Grapevine. I do wonder how much he gets yearly from his writing royalties.

smark21
09-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Big story in the NY Times about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/arts/music/for-a-classic-motown-song-about-money-credit-is-what-he-wants.html?ref=us

dvus7
09-01-2013, 02:07 PM
I would think that Mr. Strong would receive more royalties from his songwriting than from his recording of Money, which was written by Berry Gordy and Janie Bradford. During the late '60s Barrett was Norman Whitfield's primary song writing partner, including the monster hit I Heard It Through the Grapevine. I do wonder how much he gets yearly from his writing royalties.

From my understanding, Norman was getting around 400,000/yr....I hope that will help you a little!!!!

thisoldheart
09-01-2013, 02:15 PM
he sold his rights for later songs and already spent that money! from nytimes:

"Mr. Strong’s coauthorship of those hits has never been altered at the copyright office, and he said he had received some royalties for them. A few years ago, he said, he relinquished future royalties from his later songs to a third party for a $2 million payment in what he thought was a fixed-term licensing agreement but which turned out to be an outright sale; he invested that money in a recording studio project that has since failed."

dvus7
09-01-2013, 02:35 PM
he sold his rights for later songs and already spent that money! from nytimes:

"Mr. Strong’s coauthorship of those hits has never been altered at the copyright office, and he said he had received some royalties for them. A few years ago, he said, he relinquished future royalties from his later songs to a third party for a $2 million payment in what he thought was a fixed-term licensing agreement but which turned out to be an outright sale; he invested that money in a recording studio project that has since failed."

Whom ever he sold it to got a DEAL for 2 million!!!

thomas96
09-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Whom ever he sold it to got a DEAL for 2 million!!!

If it's true...

marv2
09-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Another sad rip off story..........

marymary
09-01-2013, 06:32 PM
I saw this on the front page of the NYT...very interesting. Thought it was odd that the article didn't mention that this type of "retrofitting" of credits and royalties is very common for Motown artists and that so many of them ended their lives practically penniless.

In a letter, Barry Langberg and Deborah Drooz, lawyers for Mr. Gordy, wrote that Ms. Bradford had “erroneously listed Mr. Strong as one of ‘Money’s’ co-writers” in 1959, because “she was inexperienced and confused about the ‘authorship’ section’ ” of the copyright form, and that “when the mistake was discovered, it was rectified.” They enclosed a recently executed affidavit from Ms. Bradford to that effect.

et tu Janie? Let's see the confusing wording that Janie signed off on...

That filing, bearing Ms. Bradford’s signature, designated Mr. Strong as an “author of words & music”

oh yeah I'm sure she misunderstood that legalese...

jillfoster
09-03-2013, 10:39 AM
At his age, he could have just took the 2 million and retired. That's what I would have done.

marymary
09-03-2013, 11:32 AM
At his age, he could have just took the 2 million and retired. That's what I would have done.

Someone already mentioned that above - that is what he did, but he lost the money.

jobeterob
09-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Royalties from any sales of the song would be mimimal these days. If the song was being used in some advertising, there might be a little bit of money.

If he got $2 million out of it someday, whenever, that was great.

The problem always seems to be hanging on to any of the money.

soulster
09-03-2013, 12:44 PM
I notice no one here will say anything about berry Gordy's unethical moves.

marymary
09-03-2013, 01:14 PM

I saw this on the front page of the NYT...very interesting. Thought it was odd that the article didn't mention that this type of "retrofitting" of credits and royalties is very common for Motown artists and that so many of them ended their lives practically penniless.

I didn't mention BG by name but I think it was pretty obvious who is ultimately to blame. And clearly BG & co were responsible for getting Janie Bradford to testify that nonsense about not understanding how authorship credit works.

StuBass1
09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Not uncommon for songwriters, composers, and lyricists to sell off royalties for one time lump sum payments these days. Many have done that, including some very well known writers whose names I will not mention, but would surprise some. I'm also aware of some top songwriters/performers who have been pitched and have refused to sell off their interests in songs, preferring to get paid out over the long haul. I can also say that in some [[even high profile) cases it's worked out disastrously...but I also agree that receiving a lump sum payment and investing it in a risky project in ones advancing years is generally not the smart thing to do.

jobeterob
09-03-2013, 01:41 PM
DETROIT — On the lawn outside Motown Records’ former headquarters here, a historical marker honors the pivotal role that the song “Money [[That’s What I Want)” played in building the Motown empire. With its hypnotic piano riff and unabashedly materialistic refrain, “Money,” recorded in 1959, was the first national success for the label that came to be known as “Hitsville U.S.A.,” giving the fledgling company credibility and a vital infusion of cash.

Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @nytimesarts for arts and entertainment news.

Arts Twitter List: Critics, Reporters and Editors

A sortable calendar of noteworthy cultural events in the New York region, selected by Times critics.

Go to Event Listings »

Enlarge This Image

Fabrizio Costantini for The New York Times
Mr. Strong’s name was struck from copyright documents for “Money," Motown’s first national hit.
Over the years, “Money” has generated millions of dollars in publishing royalties. It was recorded by both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, has been widely used in films and advertisements and is now featured in “Motown: The Musical” on Broadway. But the pianist and singer Barrett Strong, who first recorded “Money” and, according to records at the United States Copyright Office in Washington, was originally listed as a writer of the song, says that he has never seen a penny of those profits.

Unbeknown to Mr. Strong, who also helped write many other Motown hits, his name was removed from the copyright registration for “Money” three years after the song was written, restored in 1987 when the copyright was renewed, then removed again the next year — his name literally crossed out.

Documents at the copyright office show that all of these moves came at the direction of Motown executives, who dispute Mr. Strong’s claim of authorship. Berry Gordy Jr., Motown’s founder, declined requests for an interview, but his lawyers contend that the original registration resulted from a clerical error, and that Mr. Strong passed up numerous opportunities to assert his claim.

Mr. Strong said he learned of the alterations only late in 2010 and has been struggling ever since to have his authorship officially reinstated. At stake: his ability to share in the lucrative royalties from the song’s use. But his efforts have been blocked by a provision of copyright law that says he relinquished his rights by failing to act in a timely fashion to contest Motown’s action.

Mr. Strong’s predicament illustrates a little-known oddity in the American copyright system, one that record and music publishing companies have not hesitated to exploit. The United States Copyright Office, a division of the Library of Congress, does not notify authors of changes in registrations, and until recently the only way to check on any alterations was to go to Washington and visit the archives personally.

“For 50 years, I had no idea about any of this,” Mr. Strong, 72, said in an interview here, in which he acknowledged his lack of business acumen. “It was hidden from me. So how do they expect me to have acted to protect myself? It’s crazy and unfair.”

The long and complicated tale of “Money” begins, in Mr. Strong’s telling, with a simple but mesmerizing piano riff that came to him more than half a century ago as he was working as a session musician in a recording studio here. He was 18, a Mississippi native who had grown up in Detroit dreaming of a music career and had just been signed to a contract with Mr. Gordy, who was both his label president and his personal manager — an arrangement unthinkable today because of its inherent conflict of interest, but not unheard-of at the time.

“We were doing another session, and I just happened to be sitting there playing the piano,” he recalled. “I was playing ‘What’d I Say,’ by Ray Charles, and the groove spun off of that.”

As Mr. Strong was polishing the riff, the recording engineer, Robert Bateman, recalls becoming increasingly animated. “And when I get excited, the very first thing I do is call Berry,” Mr. Bateman said at an event at the Hard Rock Cafe in 2010. “ ‘Whoa, Berry, you’ve got to hear this, you’ve got to hear this, you’ve got to hear this.’ ”

“Anyway,” Mr. Bateman added, “it all emanated from Barrett Strong.”

The guitarist on the “Money” sessions was Eugene Grew, who recalls taking musical direction from Mr. Strong. “We sat there, practicing, and Barrett said, ‘Do this,’ and, ‘Do that,’ ” Mr. Grew said in an interview here. “It’s a real simple figure, over and over. Barrett showed me what to play and then Berry came by.”

Once the instrumental track was recorded, Mr. Strong said, Janie Bradford, who had written songs with Mr. Gordy for Jackie Wilson, helped on the lyrics. But Mr. Strong said he also contributed words.

On Nov. 12, 1959, Motown’s new song-publishing company, Jobete Music, of which Mr. Gordy was the sole owner, registered “Money [[That’s What I Want)” with the United States Copyright Office. That filing, bearing Ms. Bradford’s signature, designated Mr. Strong as an “author of words & music,” with Ms. Bradford also getting a credit for words and Mr. Gordy for words and music.

jobeterob
09-03-2013, 01:46 PM
For a Classic Motown Song About Money, Credit Is What He Wants
Published: August 31, 2013
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Save
Print
Single Page
Reprints

[[Page 2 of 2)

Early in 1960, “Money” was issued under Mr. Strong’s name. It rose to No. 2 on Billboard’s rhythm and blues chart, peaked at No. 23 on the pop charts and eventually sold nearly a million copies.

Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @nytimesarts for arts and entertainment news.

Arts Twitter List: Critics, Reporters and Editors

A sortable calendar of noteworthy cultural events in the New York region, selected by Times critics.

Go to Event Listings »
Then, in August 1962, Jobete filed an amended copyright on “Money,” instructing the copyright office to remove Mr. Strong’s name. Under procedures in place at the copyright office then [[and still in effect today), Mr. Strong had three years to contest that filing — which he said he would have done had he only known of it.

Mr. Strong’s case may stretch back decades, but the potential for other artists to find themselves in a similar bureaucratic limbo remains written into copyright law. The copyright office has begun digitizing its vast archive, which includes handwritten filings dating back to the 19th century, and that should improve access for all copyright holders. But the process has been proceeding slowly.

“I think he’s got an uphill battle,” said June M. Besek, executive director of the Kernochan Center for Law, Media and the Arts at the Columbia University School of Law. “It’s really a statute of limitations issue. He could be depicted as someone who did not conscientiously pursue his rights.”

In a letter, Barry Langberg and Deborah Drooz, lawyers for Mr. Gordy, wrote that Ms. Bradford had “erroneously listed Mr. Strong as one of ‘Money’s’ co-writers” in 1959, because “she was inexperienced and confused about the ‘authorship’ section’ ” of the copyright form, and that “when the mistake was discovered, it was rectified.” They enclosed a recently executed affidavit from Ms. Bradford to that effect.

In a separate letter, Nansci LeGette, the director of one of Mr. Gordy’s production companies, noted that Mr. Strong later signed songwriting agreements with Jobete and Mr. Gordy in which he failed to assert authorship rights to “Money.” Those “multiple transactions conducted by Barrett Strong over the years indicate that without any doubt, he did not himself believe that he was a co-writer” of the song, the letter stated.

Mr. Strong, however, said that he repeatedly asserted his rights as a writer directly in conversations with Mr. Gordy when “Money” became a hit. In retrospect, he said, he believes his name may have been removed from the songwriting credits because Mr. Gordy had come to see him as a troublemaker.

“I wasn’t getting any statements, so I started asking not too long after the record came out,” he recalled. “You couldn’t ask too many questions back then, because they’d say: ‘You’re being a bad boy. You’re getting smart.’ But I kept inquiring, and Mr. Gordy told me, ‘Don’t worry about statements and things, you’ll make your money on the road.’ On the road to what?”

Unable to generate a follow-up hit and sensing that Motown’s future resided with emerging stars like Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson and Little Stevie Wonder, Mr. Strong concluded he had to look elsewhere to make a living. “I had to take care of my kids,” he said, “so I went and got myself a job at Chrysler, on the production line.”

In the mid-1960s, Mr. Strong returned to Motown as a staff songwriter at the urging of his friend, the record producer Norman Whitfield; he rushed over to the studio every afternoon when his shift at the auto plant was over. Together, Mr. Strong and Mr. Whitfield wrote a string of hits that led to them being inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2004: “I Heard It Through the Grapevine,” “Just My Imagination” and “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” among them.

Mr. Strong’s coauthorship of those hits has never been altered at the copyright office, and he said he had received some royalties for them. A few years ago, he said, he relinquished future royalties from his later songs to a third party for a $2 million payment in what he thought was a fixed-term licensing agreement but which turned out to be an outright sale; he invested that money in a recording studio project that has since failed.

Music royalties are generally divided into two categories, one for the performance of a song and the other for the composition itself. Sales of recordings may have plummeted since the late 1990s, but the songs themselves — or snippets of them — have increasingly become the soundtracks for TV shows and movies, advertisements and ring tones. Broadway can provide yet another revenue stream: Besides “Money,” the Broadway show “Motown: The Musical” features more than 50 other songs from the label’s catalog, and a two-CD soundtrack has been released.

In 2009, Mr. Strong had a stroke, limiting his ability to play the piano and sing. He now lives in a retirement home here, and hopes that by recouping rights to “Money” he will more easily be able to pay his medical bills and residence fees. But he also wants his accomplishments properly remembered.

“Songs outlive people,” he said, with a mixture of sadness, resignation and anger. “The real reason Motown worked was the publishing. The records were just a vehicle to get the songs out there to the public. The real money is in the publishing, and if you have publishing, then hang on to it. That’s what it’s all about. If you give it away, you’re giving away your life, your legacy. Once you’re gone, those songs will still be playing.”

jobeterob
09-03-2013, 01:48 PM
This is pretty much the Florence Ballard Story all over again.

“I think he’s got an uphill battle,” said June M. Besek, executive director of the Kernochan Center for Law, Media and the Arts at the Columbia University School of Law. “It’s really a statute of limitations issue. He could be depicted as someone who did not conscientiously pursue his rights.”

reese
09-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Interestingly enough, Sam Moore [[of Sam and Dave) has been quoted as saying that he actually wrote MONEY.

jobeterob
09-03-2013, 02:22 PM
So now this money is going to whomever owns Jobete these days. Who do we think owns it now?

thomas96
09-03-2013, 03:40 PM

While I have the utmost respect for BG for bringing us this amazing company, I can't say I believe BG cared one bit about the music or for his artists/employees. He took advantage of all these young talented kids so that his wallet would get bigger and bigger. He only looked out for #1.

I met Mr Strong a little while ago and he was very grumpy about a lot of things going on these days in his life and in the world. I'd have to take his side in all that. I wish BG would help out some of his former employees who made his dream come true. With all the money he made during the tenure of the company, selling it, and now with Motown the Musical, he could help out every single person from the company that needs a little help without putting a dent in his bank account. Every time I think about this topic, I can't help but think about the beginning of "Standing in the Shadows..." when Joe is saying how they were left out of the dream. It breaks my heart to think about it.

thomas96
09-03-2013, 03:43 PM
So now this money is going to whomever owns Jobete these days. Who do we think owns it now?

Doesn't EMI own it all now?

dvus7
09-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Royalties from any sales of the song would be mimimal these days. If the song was being used in some advertising, there might be a little bit of money.

If he got $2 million out of it someday, whenever, that was great.

The problem always seems to be hanging on to any of the money.

@ jobeterob....Tell me your logic "that 2 millions ...that was great"!!! Entertaining to say the least!!!LOL!!LOL!!

jobeterob
09-03-2013, 05:56 PM
@ jobeterob....Tell me your logic "that 2 millions ...that was great"!!! Entertaining to say the least!!!LOL!!LOL!!

If Barrett could get $2 Million in cash for his writing credit and singing credit on Money, I'd take it and run..............and I'd save the money tightly to my bank account.

marv2
09-03-2013, 06:05 PM
There are recorded, videotaped interviews with former Motown personnel where that state that Barrett Strong co-wrote "Money".

dvus7
09-03-2013, 06:21 PM
If Barrett could get $2 Million in cash for his writing credit and singing credit on Money, I'd take it and run..............and I'd save the money tightly to my bank account.

The song "Money" was not apart of the deal!!!!!Does that schew your logice now???? Why do you think NOW he is attempting to lay claim????

144man
09-03-2013, 06:49 PM
The fact that Barrett Strong's name doesn't appear as composer on the 1959 record labels tends to corroborate that it was not intended to be on the copyright form.

jobeterob
09-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Not a bit; the later copyrights would cover his share of IHITTG, likely one of the most valuable copyrights in the Jobete catalog.

Two million dollars for Money today is a gold mine.

But sadly, as the Law School Professor says, he's got an uphill battle. This will take years and years even if he goes to and engages a lawyer and it doesn't sound like he has even done that.

The claim is going to be against Jobete because they have been keeping all the money.

Unless maybe Berry feels bad because many of his former employees have not done well ~ and coughs up something. And if Mirage is right, Berry will not do that.

With these kinds of claims, maybe the right approach is to go public with them and perhaps hope to embarrass those with millions and a reputation to lose; because the legal route here will be brutal, costly, lengthy and probably unsuccessful.

marymary
09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
The $2M figure was not related to Money, it was for his share of royalties for the songs he co-wrote w/ Norman Whitfield. There's no $ figure on Money [[so far), however if the best he could get for ALL those was $2M I can't see just Money exceeding that.

That being said...IMO he got ripped off...$2M for all those songs? Was his royalty share so pitifully low that $2M made sense? Those are some of the most valuable songs of ALL TIME, $2M sounds like a pittance.

dvus7
09-04-2013, 03:51 PM
The $2M figure was not related to Money, it was for his share of royalties for the songs he co-wrote w/ Norman Whitfield. There's no $ figure on Money [[so far), however if the best he could get for ALL those was $2M I can't see just Money exceeding that.

That being said...IMO he got ripped off...$2M for all those songs? Was his royalty share so pitifully low that $2M made sense? Those are some of the most valuable songs of ALL TIME, $2M sounds like a pittance.

@ marymary....I totally agree with you!!! Barrett Strong GOT RIPPED!!

jobeterob
09-04-2013, 06:34 PM
If Barrett Strong contributed significantly to Money, he definitely got ripped. And he isn't the only person from Motown who has asserted he did not receive proper credit.

But to legally try and assert that 50 years after the fact will be just about impossible to prove in Court.