PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross at the Orpheum Theatre: Too good to be true.

test

David J
08-30-2013, 04:42 AM
MUSIC REVIEW | Diana Ross at the Orpheum Theatre: Too good to be true
By Marcus Michalik, TC Daily Planet
August 29, 2013

The way in which Diana Ross made her entrance on Wednesday, August 28 at the Orpheum was so quintessentially Diana Ross in execution that it was almost hard to accept that the person sparkling underneath all those house lights was the real diva in the flesh and not just one of the better impersonators from Rupaul’s Drag Race. It was simply too good to be true.

All the iconic, highly imitated elements were there: a sequined red caftan complete with matching shawl that looked like a high-end bath product, that notorious mane of curls that probably hasn’t changed since 1979, the same megawatt ear-to-ear smile that made her a superstar over half a century ago. Can an image so emblazoned in a mind be this close to reality? She started the night with “I’m Coming Out” because why wouldn’t you kick off your concert with “I’m Coming Out?” She’s Diana Ross, damn it, and she’s here to entertain you.

And entertain she did. Fans looking for Diana deep cuts [[sorry, no “I’m Still Waiting” here) may have been disappointed with what’s clearly been crafted as Diana’s nostalgia tour, but no one in my line of vision seemed upset with the singer’s decision to deliver a streamlined set list of one hit after the other in a brisk and undiluted 78 minutes. In fact, it only took the rest of “I’m Coming Out” and a giddy rendition of The Spiral Staircases’ “More Today Than Yesterday” before Diana busted out a breathless medley of The Supremes’ greatest hits, including “My World is Empty Without You,” “Baby Love,” and “You Can’t Hurry Love, “ each punctuated by Diana yelling out phrases such as “the memories!” and “Who else here remembers this one?” None of the entitled ice queen associations that have plagued Diana thanks to Dreamgirls and the Motown rumor mill were anywhere to be seen, instead Ross radiated warmth and sunshine throughout the entire evening, easily charming a crowd of mostly baby boomers to join her in the hand choreography of “Stop! In The Name of Love.”

Diana’s voice was never in the league of contemporaries like Aretha Franklin, but its one that’s held up remarkably strongly over the years, taking on a new brassy quality in her belting range while still holding on to all the honey-flavored sweetness that made songs like “Come See About Me” as effervescent as they were when they first hit radio. This was more than apparent when Diana made her first costume change [[bedazzled red caftan into a bedazzled blue one, naturally) after a salsa-tinged version of “Love Child” to enter the evening’s disco phase. Beginning with the always-underrated “The Boss,” Diana tackled the song with gusto, sounding youthful and excited, even as she surrendered most of the track’s acrobatic middle 8 to her backing vocalists. The energy continued as Diana made her way through the funky “Upside Down,” the still sexy “Love Hangover,” and most memorably, The Wiz’s “Ease on Down The Road,” the latter of which Diana invited an eager youngster [[one she said reminded her of her friend Michael Jackson) onstage to share a dance with.

The evening cooled down temporarily with a short ballad section that put her nine-piece band to good use on covers of “The Look of Love” and Billie Holiday’s "Don’t Explain,” which Ross shaded with textures far more smoky and lived-in than when she originally took the Oscar-nominated Lady Sings the Blues role in 1972.

The final costume change [[a tangerine ensemble—not nearly as exciting as the preceding sheer-paneled black number and corresponding lime green feather coat that the 69-year-old rocked like a woman 25 years her junior) ushered in a slightly confusing final section full of expected hits [[“Ain’t No Mountain High Enough), noticeable omissions [[“Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody’s Hand)”), and the perplexing decision to finale and encore with Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive.” For a talent as legendary as Ms. Ross, not much makes sense about ending an evening on a song not commonly associated with her, but you can’t argue that it didn't get results. Besides, this is Diana Ross we’re talking about. She’s earned the right to not only survive, but to do whatever the hell else she wants too.

David J
08-30-2013, 04:49 AM
http://stmedia.startribune.com/designimages/155711.gif [[http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/blogs/Artcetera.html?c=155711) A set list & more thoughts on Diana Ross at the OrpheumPosted by: Jon Bream under Music [[http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/blogs/Artcetera.html?c=155711) Updated: August 29, 2013 - 3:26 AM

Email share

your name
your email
recipients email
+ add a comment [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/#) add a comment

http://stmedia.startribune.com/designimages/shareBGBtm.png

http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/user_images/jonbream_1377764806_missross.jpg
Star Tribune photo by Kyndell Harkness

A few more thoughts about Diana Ross’ performance Wednesday at the Orpheum:
* She really knows how to camp it up, like a true diva – whether she was hoisting up her dress by her boobs or licking her fingers and touching her thigh. And did I say no one does grand gestures like Diana does?
· * OK, I wish she’d played a little longer, maybe some more Supremes songs and “Reach Out and Touch” [[as I stated in my review [[http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/221586741.html)); she has been playing “Reach Out” at most of her other shows this year. But at least we didn’t get filler and loved that she started on time [[old-school divas don’t keep their fans waiting) and was finished so everyone could be home by 10 p.m.

· * Unlike Beyonce, Miss Ross managed to change outfits three times and keep concertgoers occupied with either her fine band vamping on a song or having her three backup singers perform. It was relatively seamless and painless. Valerie and Lisa were outstanding vocal soloists. I wish Miss Ross would have mentioned the surnames of her accompanists. She called the singers “my voices.”

· * Her four horn players could play but they sure couldn’t dance [[together) despite their choreographed steps.

· * Going from Billie Holiday’s slow “Don’t Explain” to Frankie Lymon’s peppy “Why Do Fools Fall in Love” was a jarring transition.

· * In my review, I gushed about her four outfits. But I didn’t have space to mention her stylish hand fans [[color coordinated with each outfit, naturally). She needed the fans. She worked up a sweat under those lights in those gowns.

· * The woman in the front row, center, had bigger hair than Miss Ross.

Here is Diana Ross’ set list from the Orpheum:

I’m Coming Out/ More Today Than Yesterday [[Spiral Staircase)/ My World Is Empty without You/ Baby Love/ Stop! In the Name of Love/ You Can’t Hurry Love/ Touch Me in the Morning/ Love Child/ costume change to electric blue outfit: The Boss/ Upside Down/ Love Hangover/ Ease on Down the Road/ costume change to feathered coat and black gown The Look of Love [[Dusty Springfield)/ Don’t Explain [[Billie Holiday) Why Do Fools Fall in Love [[Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers)/ costume change to Dreamsicle orange outfit Theme from Mahogany/ Ain’t No Mountain High Enough/ I Will Survive [[Gloria Gaynor).

David J
08-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Diana Ross at the Orpheum Theatre, 8/28/13
By Natalie Gallagher
Published Thu., Aug. 29 2013 at 9:00 AM

Diana Ross
Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis
Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Oh, Diana Ross. Even at the ripe age of 69, she's still reminding us that there was a time before Beyonce. Indeed, without Diana Ross, we might not know to call these modern starlets "divas."

At her show last night at the Orpheum Theatre, Ross was all diva, and she wasn't shy about it. With four very purposeful costume changes, massive glittery chandelier earrings, a positively regal mane of hair, a bright smile, and flanked by a 12-piece backing band, Ross commanded the stage and the willing audience with all the style and charisma that you would expect of Motown's finest.

The set was relatively brusque -- a clipped 75 minutes that showcased Ross's genre-spanning career, from a nostalgic opening set featuring Supremes-era hits up through her solo classics. The entire night was a fast-paced journey, and the crowd at the sold-out Orpheum was on its feet for the majority. Strangely, though, while some things could have lasted longer, nothing felt rushed. At this point, Ross knows exactly what her audience wants -- all the hits, a little bit of everything, plus some razzle dazzle -- and she's more than willing to deliver.
Diana_Ross_Steve_Cohen1.JPG
Photo by Steve Cohen

Ross opened the night with the appropriate "I'm Coming Out," wrapped up in a striking red gown that was vaguely reminiscent of a Circus-red candy apple. "Stop! In the Name of Love" was particularly joyful, with the chorus booming around the theatre. During "Ease Down the Road," Ross spotted a pint-sized kid with moves halfway up the center row and called him to the stage with her. He was passed over from adult to adult in the VIP section before he made it centerstage, where Ross invited him to show the people how it's done. With enough cuteness to cause a toothache, the mini-Michael Jackson [[as Ross called him) spun off into a little childlike choreography before Ross thanked him and reined the show back in again.

For a jazzy interlude, Ross changed out of a svelte navy dress [[with some daring cut-outs down the side) to an even tighter little black number with a bright neon green feather coat. In this ensemble, she performed a stunning version of Billie Holiday's "Don't Explain," and while it might not have been the high-energy point of the evening, it was the moment when Ross's vocal power was most comfortable. She might not be able to hit the high notes that earned her a spot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but her voice has a sultry fullness to it that suits the jazz stylings she pulled off beautifully.

There's something about Ross on stage, the way she holds her arms out, lifts them up after a song, raises her beaming face in triumph, like she has just experienced the best moment of her life and is totally fulfilled. As her musicians and back-up singers each take their turn for a solo, Ross introduces them jubilantly, dances delightedly, her thousand-watt smile never breaking.

When Ross re-emerged for the final segment of her show, featuring the power tracks "Do You Know Where You're Going To" and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" [[this time in a fantastically glittery pastel orange gown), Ross looked out at the crowd and watched the faces.
Diana_Ross_Steve_Cohen2.JPG
Photo by Steve Cohen

"I love when they put the lights like this," said Ross, meaning the house lights that had been lifted, "Because I can see your faces and your eyes and your smiles, and it's like we're sharing what goes in and out. I can feel your energy from here."

Ross closed out the night with a cover of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," and did a brief reprise as an encore. The song was managed much like a queen bestowing goodwill upon her loyal subjects, and the audience was left without a doubt that Ross, the ultimate diva, is also, after over 50 years in the business, the ultimate survivor.

Critic's bias: Who isn't familiar with -- and an automatic fan of -- Diana Ross?

The crowd: A glorious age-spanning mix of die-hard Diana Ross enthusiasts, who knew all the lyrics to all the songs without fail.

Overheard in the crowd: "I would totally wear that dress."

Set list: Some of these warped into medleys, so feel free to leave corrections in the comments.

I'm Coming Out
More Today Than Yesterday [[Spiral Staircase)
My World Is Empty Without You
Baby Love
Stop! In The Name Of Love
You Can't Hurry Love
Touch Me In The Morning
Love Child
Upside Down
Love Hangover
Take Me Higher
Ease On Down The Road
The Look Of Love [[Dusty Springfield)
Don't Explain [[Billie Holiday)
Why Do Fools Fall In Love [[Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers)
Do You Know Where You're Going To [[Theme from Mahogany)
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
I Will Survive [[Gloria Gaynor)

RossHolloway
08-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Why does every review have to include details on what she wore? Who cares what she wears? I've always thought that was strange the way "journalist" always wrote about that. And I've grown tired of so many journaslists always trying to compare Diana Ross to Aretha Franklin. Both women are iconic. We never read about the comparison between Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger or Bono to Bruce Springsteen.

reese
08-30-2013, 10:30 AM
I always expect to read about Diana's wardrobe in a review. It is a huge part of her persona, and many people do care.

But I do agree that the comparisons with other vocalists are ridiculous. I think it is very limiting to think that every black female vocalist has to sound like she just stepped out of church. I'm not knocking that. I totally love what Aretha does, or what others like Gladys and Patti do. But I love what Diana does as well. It would be great if artists could just be appreciated for their own unique gifts as opposed to being subjected to comparisons. But that's life.

ejluther
08-30-2013, 12:16 PM
People care what she wears because she cares about what she wears - multiple costume changes are proof of that and probably the main reason it gets mentioned so prominently. As for male performers and what they wear, most reviews I read seem to take note of stage outfits, be they male or female.

R. Mark Desjardins
08-30-2013, 02:16 PM
In a way, Diana Ross' constant touring of the past three years mirrors the scene in "Lady Sings The Blues," when her manager gets the wild brainstorm of her "going out on the road" to get great reviews to come back to NYC to play Carnegie Hall.

In this case however, C.H. is really a metaphor for Miss Ross to earn the respect back as a real performing artist and earn a recording contract. I firmly believe she has the juice in her, and the fire in her belly to have a top selling record one more time. Maybe not a dance orientated recording to appeal to young music fans [[who don't 'buy" music anymore), but to a more adult audience who is hungering for our Diva to get us shaking our bootys one more time!

smark21
08-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Glamour and gown changes are part of the Ross live package. So it makes sense for her gown changes to be reviewed. I wish her shows had more musical substance. Her show is fun fluff, but there’s not much substance beyond the Lady Sings segment and that jarring transition to the dated Why Do Fools seems to be saying “Enough serious singing, back to escapism and fluff.” I wish she would do a 4-6 song segment of doing Lady Sings material and some of her more reflective ballads to show how deep she can be as an interpreter. “Don’t Explain” is always the highlight of the set because it’s about artistry and her way with a lyric and telling a story.

As for touring, she’s doing it because she loves to perform. I don’t think she’s shooting for another recording contract. And if she does record again, she’s not going to get another pop single hit. She’s aged out of the pop market 25-30 years ago. An album could do well sales wise, if marketed right, but not a single. If she were to try to compete with Miley Cyrus and do a twerk song, she would make a bigger fool of herself than Miley is doing right now.

hobocamp
08-31-2013, 01:39 PM
I was at the Orpheum show, and she was really on fire, with a total command of the audience. I splurged and bought second-market tickets and managed to get the closest I've ever been at one of her shows [[2nd row Orchestra pit). It was so nice to be at eye-contact distance - an experience I'll never forget. And it was extra special because I took a friend who'd never experienced one of her live shows - she too was blown away.

The 75 minutes went by way too fast - I sort of felt like a kid on the day after Christmas once the show was over.
Tom