PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross...... Better Than Ever????

test

supremester
08-28-2013, 06:52 PM
For those who saw this tour - am I crazy or has she gotten better? I swear last night she literally devastated Milwaukee - and she knew it! She sounds great, looks beautiful and performs with ease, care and fun. Tonight is my 9th and last [[I don't want to appear obsessive) of the tour....wow wow wow was she on fire last night! http://expressmilwaukee.com/article-21694-diana-ross-@-the-riverside-theater.html

jillfoster
08-28-2013, 07:34 PM
For those who saw this tour - am I crazy or has she gotten better? I swear last night she literally devastated Milwaukee - and she knew it! She sounds great, looks beautiful and performs with ease, care and fun. Tonight is my 9th and last [[I don't want to appear obsessive) of the tour....wow wow wow was she on fire last night! http://expressmilwaukee.com/article-21694-diana-ross-@-the-riverside-theater.html

No. Nobody ever gets better in their old age. Everyone... no matter who it is, is always best when they are in their prime, meaning their 20's and 30's. you saw her 9 times? Yeah... that is like a bit obsessive. I would never want to see anyone that often in one year, it destroys the "Specialness" of it.

jobeterob
08-28-2013, 08:04 PM
It would be hard to beat the Diana of 1979 to 1982 or the Diana of 1964 to 1967.

The difference is that in those days [[the early years as a young lady) [[the later years as a mature entertainer), Diana knew she was hot and knew she was special and it showed.

These days there is nothing left to prove and she's having a lot of fun.

thomas96
08-28-2013, 08:52 PM
I saw her Boston show and she was absolutely amazing.... But to say she's 'better than ever' is stretching it. Loved her the most when she was with the Supremes and during her early solo career. She was so beautiful in the early '70s [[though she always has been, I didn't love many of the Supremes era hairstyles).

Jimi LaLumia
08-28-2013, 09:07 PM
she very well may be better than ever.. with MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL bolstering her legacy, Berry Gordy not bossing her around, and various ex Supremes not tormenting her like harpies in a Greek tragedy, she is FINALLY comfortable in her own skin, accepting her place in the time line.. only ones who won't 'get' that are the haters who don't want to 'get' it,and we really don't care about them anyway, do we?

antceleb12
08-28-2013, 09:18 PM
No. Nobody ever gets better in their old age. Everyone... no matter who it is, is always best when they are in their prime, meaning their 20's and 30's.

That's a matter of opinion. Actually, many opera stars are in their "prime" when they get older - not younger. Same with Patti LaBelle, in my opinion. Better as she got older. Shoot, even Diana's voice didn't come into its own until years after she left the Supremes!

reese
08-28-2013, 09:21 PM
I have my favorite eras of her career, but I will say that Diana of 2013 is definitely one of them. Just the pure ease of entertaining that she displayed. I saw the Boston and Providence shows and the only complaint I had is that they were too short. The Boston show was particularly special to me, as it took place in the same theatre that I first saw her as a kid, back in 1977.

milven
08-28-2013, 09:46 PM
I saw her Boston show and she was absolutely amazing.... But to say she's 'better than ever' is stretching it. ..

I'll agree with that. But I will say that she is much better now than she was a few years ago.
For me , her lowest point was in July 2002 at Westbury in Long Island. Knowing now what she was going through in her personal life, she probably should not have been performing then. I also remember seeing her on Letterman and American Idol quite a few years ago and I was not impressed with her voice. [[Although I just watched the IDOL video and it is not as bad as I remember)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzX71lRZp9w

Better than ever ? Like you said, that may be stretching it. But I have seen her about five times over the last few years, and each year, she sounds better than the year before. I saw her in Newark a few weeks ago, and her Supremes songs were right on point. She was relaxed, charming and maintains her beauty and still knows how to captivate an audience. She still is absolutely amazing.

jobeterob
08-28-2013, 11:37 PM
She seems very keen and very alive these days.

Anyone remember that after her American Idol performance, she made some comment about "should she be voted off the show?" Lots of times you know if you knocked it out of the park or just gave some middling performance.

milven
08-29-2013, 12:26 AM
..Anyone remember that after her American Idol performance, she made some comment about "should she be voted off the show?" ...

No, but at the end of the clip above, he asked her "Who's going home?" Diana pointed to herself and said "Me !".

jobeterob
08-29-2013, 12:58 AM
No, but at the end of the clip above, he asked her "Who's going home?" Diana pointed to herself and said "Me !".

That was it. You have a better memory than I do.

supremester
08-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Well, I think she is much better now than in the late 70's -91......just my personal opinion. The top 5 performances of hers that I've seen have all been 2004 and after. 9 times spoils it for you, but not me. Definitely not. Every night is special with Miss Ross.
No. Nobody ever gets better in their old age. Everyone... no matter who it is, is always best when they are in their prime, meaning their 20's and 30's. you saw her 9 times? Yeah... that is like a bit obsessive. I would never want to see anyone that often in one year, it destroys the "Specialness" of it.

David J
08-29-2013, 04:12 AM
Well, I think she is much better now than in the late 70's -91......just my personal opinion. The top 5 performances of hers that I've seen have all been 2004 and after. 9 times spoils it for you, but not me. Definitely not. Every night is special with Miss Ross.

You tell them Gregg, every moment with Ms Ross is very special indeed, whenever she comes to the UK, I try to go and see her concerts as many times as I can, and every concert always holds a special and different experience for me because for me there's nothing like been surrounded by fellow Ross fans basking in the amazing talent that is Ms Diana Ross, cause I never know when I will be seeing her next in concert.

The last time Diana was here was well over 5 years ago and we European fans are dying to see her tour in UK/ Europe soon, it's been way too long.

David J
08-29-2013, 06:40 AM
A NEW REVIEW.;)

Review: Diana, a diva's diva, reigns Supremely at Orpheum [[http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/221586741.html&ct=ga&cd=MTU1ODA5MjY5MjA5NDczNDI2NDU&cad=CAEYAw&usg=AFQjCNGJd3axeHS7tN0T_kpxfAIvn0jqfQ) Minneapolis Star Tribune

smark21
08-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Is she as physically agile as she was in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s? I doubt it. I know at Hollywood Bowl she was moving a bit gingerly, especially on the stairs. Can she hit the notes like she used to? No. Her voice has suffered some erosion, though it’s in no danger of becoming like Martha Reeves. Can she deliver 2-3 hour concerts? Nope, 90 minutes is her max. I think she’s in good performance shape for this time of her life and she’s enjoying herself on stage. But she’s not the same Diana Ross that performed in the rain in Central Park.

Sotosound
08-29-2013, 08:11 AM
No. Nobody ever gets better in their old age. Everyone... no matter who it is, is always best when they are in their prime, meaning their 20's and 30's.

Hmmm. Is that always the case?

What about the late Frank Sinatra, who delivered some of his finest performances in his 40s? And that was also after he'd damaged his vocal cords. One of his best recordings IMHO was "It Was A Very Good year", recorded when he was 50.

One's voice might change with age, and one's range might drop with age, but any mechanical losses can easily be outweighed by the better ways in which a singer uses their voice and range as they get older and more experienced, both in singing and in life.

Moreover, a male singer's voice can sometimes peak in their 40s. Listen to Levi Stubbs and the Four Tops singing "I Believe In You And Me". Levi has all of his range, plus a beautiful depth and richness to his voice that weren't evident in his 30s and 40s, plus the way that he sings is exquisite; mixing softer vocals, falsetto vocals and a reach into his upper register in such a beautiful way.

And what about Tina Turner, who's vocals acquired a new richness and emotional depth in her 40s?

On the other side are loads of singers who have destroyed or partly destroyed the tools of their trade through drug abuse, excessive smoking, excessive drinking etc. but that's about attitude, not age.

ejluther
08-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Great points - the idea of "better" is always subjective, no matter who the artist is. For instance, I'm a big Billie Holiday fan and, unlike some of her fans, absolutely prefer her latter-day recordings [[although her voice at the very end is another debate altogether - while I appreciate it and find a lot of meaning in it, it's hard to listen to). I find it's often the depth and maturity of life experience that an artist can bring to the song that makes all the difference. While I loved seeing Diana on this tour my only real critique would be for her to drop a bit of the audience interaction and find some more deep moments [[like in "Don't Explain") to really connect with the song and not worry about connecting with us so much. But that's nitpicking, really, as she was terrific...

LuvHangOva
08-29-2013, 10:12 AM
EJ .. I respectfully disagree. I've seen Diana Ross countless times ... Most times from near the stage.... But years ago from the nosebleed area too. I have always been in awe of her ability to fill a room with her charisma no matter how large or small the venue. The only time I felt differently was one of the "I Love You Tour" shows.. At that show from the very first number she seemed remote, "colder" and less engaged than normal....a reviewer of that show made the extremely snarky comment that she seemed "fresh as formaldehyde" HIS WORDS NOT MINE... Even tho thoughts of taxidermy did cross my mind. It was like an old Twillight Zone or Night Gallery episode and some strange, chilly , aloof entity had inhabited the body of Diana Ross. I kinda expected Rod Serling to enter from stage left, cigarette in hand... Thankfully this was a one time thing. She was back to her legendary, fabulous self next time I saw her, whew!!

I think one of Diana's greatest gifts is her ability to connect with her audience. Berry Gordy once said he realized she could use her eyes in such a way that she could look into a camera... Flirt a little bit and everyone watching would feel like it was meant for each one of them individually. Mr Gordy was right on target. I hope she never loses her gift for connecting with her audience. Many performers would kill to have this gift that Diana has naturally.

Some performers seem like mere dots on a big stage but Diana Ross can fill a whole room from the same spot on that very stage. And yes, her voice [[ especially in Detroit) sounded stronger and clearer to my ear than she has in a loooong time.

ejluther
08-29-2013, 11:24 AM
I agree that she's great at connecting the audience and that it's a wonderful gift - I just wouldn't mind if she waved/interacted less and really dug into a song more every once in a while because that, too, is a way to connect with an audience, that's all. Like I said, it's just a subjective nitpick and I loved her show...

jobeterob
08-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Is she as physically agile as she was in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s? I doubt it. I know at Hollywood Bowl she was moving a bit gingerly, especially on the stairs. Can she hit the notes like she used to? No. Her voice has suffered some erosion, though it’s in no danger of becoming like Martha Reeves. Can she deliver 2-3 hour concerts? Nope, 90 minutes is her max. I think she’s in good performance shape for this time of her life and she’s enjoying herself on stage. But she’s not the same Diana Ross that performed in the rain in Central Park.

I agree with this analysis. Diana Ross is not going to fly across the stage like she did when she hosted the American Music Awards in the 80's.

But for some, the warmth and the charisma might be greater as she cruises to age 70.

LuvHangOva
08-29-2013, 08:31 PM
I agree that she's great at connecting the audience and that it's a wonderful gift - I just wouldn't mind if she waved/interacted less and really dug into a song more every once in a while because that, too, is a way to connect with an audience, that's all. Like I said, it's just a subjective nitpick and I loved her show...

Agreed ... I would just hate to have her "trade" one for the other. Let's have em both. I admire her interaction and connection and I'm spellbound when she "digs deep" as with "Don't Explain"

supremester
08-30-2013, 02:55 AM
Her band members told me it was perfect at sound check, but the monitors were not working and she couldn't hear and tried to engage others to help her out. At the break, she wanted to re shoot the song but there wasn't time.

ejluther
08-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Let's have em both. Deal! I'm just showing my personal bias, that's all...cheers!

jobeterob
09-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Diana Ross Wows In Curacao

August 31, 2013

There were no surprises at Diana Ross' opening night performance Friday at the Curacao North Sea Jazz Festival, and that's just how her adoring audience wanted it.

From the opening notes of "I'm Coming Out," naturally, to the close of "I Will Survive,"[[of course) the Queen of Motown's pure tones hit the mark with this crowd who had come to hear familiar favorites.

Most everyone stood, or should I say, danced, throughout the concert to Diana's greatest hits, including "Stop in the Name of Love," "Love Child," and "Touch Me in the Morning," which included an especially sultry saxophone riff.

Ross was generous with the crowd and with her band mates and backup singers, giving all a chance to shine.

And the audience did indeed sing, nearly everyone seemingly knowing the words to all the songs.

Despite the overwhelming heat and humidity, even during the beach side, nighttime concert on this Caribbean Island 50 miles off the coast of Venezuela, Ross performed with her signature big hair and made five costume changes of glittery and bright evening gowns.

No surprises, no problem.

LuvHangOva
09-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Hey Greggie looks like your analysis was spot on!!
This reviewer is of the opinion that the Orlando show--- same setlist as usual ---was better the other night than it was a couple of years ago. Sounds like a Ross Renaissance is underway!!