PDA

View Full Version : New BRENDA HOLLOWAY cd coming from ACE....

test

lakedistrictlad1
08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
I just logged on to ACE's website to see what's new and was thrilled to see a new Brenda Holloway cd coming up.
I can't believe there are still tracks from the vaults on this lady! Can't wait for this one.

http://acerecords.co.uk/when-im-gone-classics-rarities

motown01
08-23-2013, 01:33 PM
This is great. I'm sure the unreleased stuff will be amazing, as has been everything so far by her.

Now, if we could just get her unreleased Music Merchant / HDH sessions released...

carole cucumber
08-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Looks great..[[I assume) the mono version of Tamla-Motown TML 11083 + a few selections from Tamla 257 + [[8) previously unreleased bonus tracks!!!
Keith,
Are you able to say anything about the unfamiliar bonus tracks # 17, 19, 23, 24?

carole cucumber
08-23-2013, 01:41 PM
And, thanks be to God, the cover photo is not the 'violin bow-tie' shot constructed for TML 11083, but rather a very classy out-take from the same photo session.

booty
08-23-2013, 01:54 PM

cdtop-405

RossHolloway
08-23-2013, 02:01 PM
YEA!!!!!!!! This is such good news!

mowsville
08-23-2013, 02:53 PM
this is great news...all good things come to those who wait.

stopinthenameoflove
08-23-2013, 03:52 PM
And, thanks be to God, the cover photo is not the 'violin bow-tie' shot constructed for TML 11083, but rather a very classy out-take from the same photo session.

I'll be buying this! But Carole, you're right that album cover was bl00dy awful first time round!!

superlou
08-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Here's the track list, looks like tracks 17-24 are the previously unreleased songs. Definitely have to buy this one.

1. Together 'Til The End Of Time
2. Every Little Bit Hurts
3. Where Were You
4. I've Got To Find It
5. Unchained Melody
6. Hurt A Little Every Day
7. I'll Be Available
8. You've Made Me So Very Happy
9. I've Been Good To You
10. Too Proud To Cry
11. I'll Always Love You
12. Operator
13. When I'm Gone
14. You Can Cry On My Shoulder
15. Just Look What You've Done
16. Starting The Hurt All Over Again
17. Mr Lifeguard [[Come And Rescue Me)
18. My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down
19. After All That You've Done
20. The Love Line
21. Can't We Be Strangers Again
22. Just Another Lonely Night
23. Where There's A Will There's A Way
24. It's Love I Need

Kamasu_Jr
08-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Just eight previously unreleased songs? I don't see much here to get excited over.

stopinthenameoflove
08-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Just eight unreleased cuts? I don't see much here to get excited over.

You're kidding surely Kamasu? I've bought entire albums with eight tracks on them :)

Kamasu_Jr
08-23-2013, 05:28 PM
You're kidding surely Kamasu? I've bought entire albums with eight tracks on them :)

I'm not. They must be helluva songs...Will this be in stereo or mono? The Brenda Holloway Millenium set was stereo if I remember right. Is there a stereo version of Tell Me Your Story ? I've only seen it on one CD release.

stopinthenameoflove
08-23-2013, 05:31 PM
I'm not. They must be helluva songs... the usual two or three singles and the rest filler. I really did think you were kidding! Oh well!

soulwally
08-23-2013, 05:54 PM
It takes a lot to get Kam in a positive frame of mind.

Motown4Ever518
08-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Nice Work Ace!!!! The covers for the Motown series are all first rate. Unreleased material at 33% works for me. Looking forward to this set.

144man
08-23-2013, 06:07 PM
This is a must-have. Any idea of release date?

Kamasu_Jr
08-23-2013, 06:58 PM
SORRY I just don't go ga-ga for a Brenda Holloway CD of which I already have more than half of the tracks already. And you Brits will only pay half for this CD that Americans will as an import.

longtimefan
08-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Not counting Brenda's solo CD releases [[Anthologies, early years, Motorcity, etc.), numerous unreleased Motown tracks have popped up from time to time on CD releases such as the CELLARFUL series, etc.).

Does anyone have a complete listing of all of her "unreleased" tracks that have so far popped up?

keith_hughes
08-23-2013, 07:07 PM
As usual, eagle eyes have pipped me with the post!

The CD is scheduled for release at the end of October.

I'm not sure what you want me to say about those particular bonus tracks, Carole! They're all great, of course. The running order roughly reflects the recording date order: "Mr Lifeguard" must be one of her earliest Motown recordings, "It's Love I Need" is one of her last.

Sorry to those who would have liked more previously unreleased. The notion was to put out the original LP - which has never been issued digitally - in its rare stereo format. The bonus tracks are what they say - a bonus. Yes, there are TONS of unreleased Brendas in the Vaults, I'm happy to say. It'll be a while before that well runs dry.

The next Ace/Motown CD will be more like 50/50 released/unreleased. And we plan to make the one after that ALL unreleased, for a change.

Keep the faith and get ready to cash in your pension funds ... With luck, Motown Select's TCMS V12B will be following hot on the heels of Brenda.

longtimefan
08-23-2013, 07:13 PM
As usual, eagle eyes have pipped me with the post!

The CD is scheduled for release at the end of October.

I'm not sure what you want me to say about those particular bonus tracks, Carole! They're all great, of course. The running order roughly reflects the recording date order: "Mr Lifeguard" must be one of her earliest Motown recordings, "It's Love I Need" is one of her last.

Sorry to those who would have liked more previously unreleased. The notion was to put out the original LP - which has never been issued digitally - in its rare stereo format. The bonus tracks are what they say - a bonus. Yes, there are TONS of unreleased Brendas in the Vaults, I'm happy to say. It'll be a while before that well runs dry.

The next Ace/Motown CD will be more like 50/50 released/unreleased. And we plan to make the one after that ALL unreleased, for a change.

Keep the faith and get ready to cash in your pension funds ... With luck, Motown Select's TCMS V12B will be following hot on the heels of Brenda.

Are you saying there will be two more Brenda CDs?

Kamasu_Jr
08-23-2013, 07:16 PM
See my making my observation is not gonna stop you Brenda fans from getting more music from your precious Northern soul queen. There is more coming. But would we have found out there is lots more had I not griped? Probably not.

stopinthenameoflove
08-23-2013, 07:18 PM
See my making my observation is not gonna stop you Brenda fans from getting more music from your precious Northern soul queen. There is more coming. But would we have found out there is lots more had I not griped? Probably not.

What a bitter and self-righteous post

carole cucumber
08-23-2013, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=keith_hughes;185618]As usual, eagle eyes have pipped me with the post!

The CD is scheduled for release at the end of October....
The notion was to put out the original LP - which has never been issued digitally - in its rare stereo format. The bonus tracks are what they say - a bonus. [QUOTE]

Thanks, Keith.
As you have mentioned on several occasions that your preference is to issue ALL mono or ALL stereo cd's, should we assume that the bonus tracks are also stereo versions?

carole cucumber
08-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Not counting Brenda's solo CD releases [[Anthologies, early years, Motorcity, etc.), numerous unreleased Motown tracks have popped up from time to time on CD releases such as the CELLARFUL series, etc.).

Does anyone have a complete listing of all of her "unreleased" tracks that have so far popped up?

Going here http://www.dftmc.info/artists/ah.htm and scrolling down to Brenda Holloway, you should be able to compile the list you desire [[as well as seeing titles for a few tracks still in the vaults).

carole cucumber
08-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Keith,
Which is the correct title for a selection on Disc 2 of Brenda's [[U.K.) Anthology

"Don't Judge Me" [[listed in booklet and on back cover) or "Baby Before You Judge Me" [[listed at DFTMC)?

carole cucumber
08-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Are you saying there will be two more Brenda CDs?

I'm reading it to mean that the next 2 planned Ace/Motown cd's [artist[[s) currently not disclosed] will be of that make-up , not that the next 2 Ace/Motown cd's will be Brenda Holloway cd's.

Kamasu_Jr
08-23-2013, 08:05 PM
What a bitter and self-righteous post
Call it whatever you want. As a consumer expected to spend my money on this CD, I CAN ask all of the questions I please. I don't brown nose and act overly grateful just because some CD is getting released. I didn't say don't buy this, I just wanted to know if it will be worth my money.

stopinthenameoflove
08-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Call it whatever you want. As a consumer expected to spend my money on this CD, I CAN ask all of the questions I please. I don't brown nose and act overly grateful just because some CD is getting released. I didn't say don't buy this, I just wanted to know if it will be worth my money.

And yet you didn't ask ask any questions! Just a lot of 'me' and 'my' and a bit of 'your precious Northern soul queen'

mysterysinger
08-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Great news about this CD. What caught my eye was the track "Just Another Lonely Night", an awesome song as done by the Fantastic Four [[and it will have to go some to beat that). Looking forward to hearing Brenda's version. Yes I would buy pretty much anything on this lady but would really welcome her "Every Little Bit Hurts" album with original artwork which is very attractive. ACE are certainly spoiling us with these releases. Thank you.

longtimefan
08-23-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm reading it to mean that the next 2 planned Ace/Motown cd's [artist[[s) currently not disclosed] will be of that make-up , not that the next 2 Ace/Motown cd's will be Brenda Holloway cd's.

Carole,
That's actually how I read it, too. I am sure that Keith will clarify. Thanks!

Kamasu_Jr
08-23-2013, 09:23 PM
And yet you didn't ask ask any questions! Just a lot of 'me' and 'my' and a bit of 'your precious Northern soul queen'
Go back to the first post, bright boy. That looks like a question to me. And the last time I checked, I was free to post my opinions just like everyone else.

caliluv
08-24-2013, 03:13 AM
I'll be getting this cd too for the extra music. I just wish the stereo version of "All I Do" gets released sometime soon.

wedgeville
08-24-2013, 04:35 AM
An absolutely gem of a release - and a must have. Yes, some of the tracks from the "Artistry" LP were included on the Anthology, but to get it all in stereo is a bonus. Love the Temps version of "Just Another Lonely Night", and wouldn't have thought anyone could top the emotive vocals of Paul Williams, but we're talking Brenda Holloway here...
Would have liked to see "Can't Hold This Feeling Back" included as one of the unreleased tracks. Can't believe this masterpiece hasn't seen the light of day yet. However, with a hint of more Brenda to come, it may get a release . . . eventually.
Great cover by the way...

Wayne

keith_hughes
08-24-2013, 04:41 AM
Carole, you're quite right: I didn't mean to imply that the next two Ace CDs following The Artistry will both be Brenda comps.

"Don't Judge Me" is what the song is called on the tape box, but on the filing card that's crossed out and replaced by "Baby Before You Judge Me". I can't find the song under either title at BMI!

Yes, personally I prefer all mono or all stereo collections. But this one was complicated. For a start, it seems that the multi-track tape of "Every Little Bit Hurts" never reached Detroit, and when Motown made the stereo version of her first LP, they created a "fake stereo" version of the track. We don't feel that "fake stereo" tracks are acceptable in 2013, so we've reverted to the mono version. The bonus tracks on the CD were only mixed for mono back in the day, and we thought people would rather hear the original mixes to hearing new stereo mixes.

mowsville
08-24-2013, 05:40 AM
I would buy a cd if it only had 1 unreleased track let alone 8...cant wait for this one..great artwork Keith.

lakedistrictlad1
08-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Blimey! - 6 messages Kamasu. That's 6 times you've logged on to tell us your not buying this CD. I think Keith H will sleep OK.

762rob
08-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Now that the TamlaMotiwn anthology is OOP and extremely expensive on the resale market, this will be a welcome release.
I'll buy it to support the program, and future releases.

longtimefan
08-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by longtimefan
Not counting Brenda's solo CD releases [[Anthologies, early years, Motorcity, etc.), numerous unreleased Motown tracks have popped up from time to time on CD releases such as the CELLARFUL series, etc.). Therefore, does anyone have a complete listing of all of her "unreleased" tracks that have so far popped up?

carole cucumber
Going here http://www.dftmc.info/artists/ah.htm and scrolling down to Brenda Holloway, you should be able to compile the list you desire [[as well as seeing titles for a few tracks still in the vaults).

Thanks, Carole. I have gone to DFTMC [[great site!) and, of course, none of the unreleased tracks on this new Ace release appear there.

I am still wondering if other tracks that were once "unreleased" and have now come out on various compilation are indeed all on that site? My question remains: Does anyone have a complete list of Brenda's tracks that are now on CD?

Thanks in advance!

carole cucumber
08-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Carole. I have gone to DFTMC [[great site!) and, of course, none of the unreleased tracks on this new Ace release appear there.

I am still wondering if other tracks that were once "unreleased" and have now come out on various compilation are indeed all on that site? My question remains: Does anyone have a complete list of Brenda's tracks that are now on CD?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

DFTMC does not list vault tracks not yet officially released; once "The Artistry of Brenda Holloway" is released , tracks 17-24 will be added. DFTMC does, however, list tracks that have found their way into collector's hands via acetates.
It also lists tracks that have appeared on compilations such as A Cellarful of Motown, etc. You should have no trouble compiling the list you desire utilizing the fine work of DFTMC's authors.

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Blimey! - 6 messages Kamasu. That's 6 times you've logged on to tell us your not buying this CD. I think Keith H will sleep OK.
If you read all 6 messages you did not see me say I wasn't buying this set. Go over all of the messages and show me where I said I'm not buying this. Some of you guys assume way too much and think you know everything about someone else when you don't. If you mind your own business and quit sniping at me because I think and speak for myself, we'd all be fine.

stopinthenameoflove
08-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Go back to the first post, bright boy. That looks like a question to me. And the last time I checked, I was free to post my opinions just like everyone else.

Your first post is a statement with a question mark at the end. I do see you edited your second post to add a question. I'm certainly not questioning anyone's right to post their opinions here

luke
08-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Im all confused. Was the Artistry album/cd ever released in US? If not this is great news for Yanks who can order it,right?

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Your first post is a statement with a question mark at the end. I do see you edited your second post to add a question. I'm certainly not questioning anyone's right to post their opinions here
I still asked questions...lots of them. It's my right. You can't tell me how to think or whether I can edit a post or not or if I should be grateful about some CD. It's ridiculous for you to tell me how and what I should feel. Move on, we will not agree on this.

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Im all confused. Was the Artistry album/cd ever released in US? If not this is great news for Yanks who can order it,right?

It was not released in the US in the Sixties. But some form of it was released on the Brenda Holloway Motown Anthology and there was a mono album with that title in the UK [TML 11083]. I think this will be a stereo, but I am not sure because a few bozos have taken offense because I have an opinion and questions. And yes you can order it if you like.

stopinthenameoflove
08-24-2013, 06:00 PM
I still asked questions...lots of them. It's my right. You can't tell me how to think or whether I can edit a post or not or if I should be grateful about some CD. It's ridiculous for you to tell me how and what I should feel. Move on, we will not agree on this.

I have not told you how to think or whether you can edit a post. Neither did I tell you how or what you should feel, so I'm not being 'ridiculous'. What you did not do was ask any questions until you were challenged after stating your right to ask them! You tell me to 'move on' after I log in and see you describing me disparagingly as 'bright boy'? I'll not describe how I see your behaviour and will leave you to it.

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Basically, in essence you were telling me how I should feel and what I should think. Why did you think you needed to respond to my statement or question? I realize by your being from another country and culture, you can't see just how offensive you were. It's not your place to challenge me. I'M not your child.

stopinthenameoflove
08-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Basically, you did tell me how I should feel and what I should think. Why did you think you needed to respond to my statement or question? You should have minded your business. It's not your place to challenge me. I'M not your child.

It's a discussion board. For discussion, hence a response to your statement [[not question). No, you are quite correct you're not my child - but you are acting like a child.

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 06:22 PM
And you didn't answer my question. Why did you feel that what I stated needed challenging? Why did you care so much what I posted on a discussion board? Is it going to stop you and others from buying a CD? NO.

stopinthenameoflove
08-24-2013, 06:25 PM
GO pass out somewhere.

That's just rude.

stopinthenameoflove
08-24-2013, 06:37 PM
That's just rude.

I see you edited your post to remove the rude comment. Thank you. It was reported though.

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 06:54 PM
I corrected myself. It was wrong. I said something like some others do here on the forum and I know better. I should learn to stop responding to things some of you say. Some of will say "day" if I say it's night. We will never see things the same way and that's just the way it is.

144man
08-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Just eight previously unreleased songs? I don't see much here to get excited over..

It's quality - not quantity.

144man
08-24-2013, 07:27 PM
I would buy a cd if it only had 1 unreleased track let alone 8...cant wait for this one..great artwork Keith.

I agree entirely.

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 07:30 PM

It's quality - not quantity.

That remains to be heard whether those 8 songs are quality or not..

144man
08-24-2013, 07:33 PM
That remains to be heard whether those 8 songs are quality or not...

Brenda could sing the telephone book and make it sound good.

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 07:53 PM

Brenda could sing the telephone book and make it sound good.
To you she could. What was I saying about everyone, including me, having a different opinion?

robb_k
08-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Great news! Despite my having perused The Motown Vaults from 1973-1980, I still haven't heard all of her unreleased cuts. I can't wait.

ralpht
08-24-2013, 08:26 PM
I guess I came in a little late on this one. Glad to see you guys are cool with each other now. Kam, you've been around here a good while, and you have an impeccable reputation, but that one was a little over the top.

144man
08-24-2013, 08:28 PM
To you she could. What was I saying about everyone, including me, having a different opinion?.

Well, it would be a pretty boring world if everyone shared the same opinions. There'd be no need for forums for starters.

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 08:45 PM
You are right Ralph. I know better and corrected myself. But I always think about what you said about unreleased material. There was a reason why some things were vaulted. But now, companies are profiting from this stuff, which is their right, but everybody doesn't have to think it's great. That was my point.

144man
08-24-2013, 08:49 PM
A lot of the stuff was not released not because it wasn't great but because there was so much of it that it would have flooded the market.

stopinthenameoflove
08-24-2013, 08:54 PM
You are right Ralph. I know better and corrected myself. But I always think about what you said about unreleased material. There was a reason why some things were vaulted. But now, companies are profiting from this stuff, which is their right, but everybody doesn't have to think it's great. That was my point.

Oh Kamasu! You never made that point at all. Or even hinted at it. You did say this though: 'I don't brown nose and act overly grateful'. Which now seems a bit rich.

Kamasu_Jr
08-24-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm now using my ignore option. Please do the same for me. You are continuing to try and provoke me by picking over something I am done discussing with you.

luke
08-24-2013, 09:35 PM
I have to agree with Kam. I cant keep spending money on the "Best of the Lollipops." I like that point about things often being unrleased for a reason. Brenda is my fave Motown soloist but it has to be quality for me to consider it[[and a great booklet). Ive also said before WE are doing record companies a favor by purchasing their product.

longtimefan
08-24-2013, 10:18 PM
A lot of the stuff was not released not because it wasn't great but because there was so much of it that it would have flooded the market.

That was Motown's business model in the 60s, i.e., to over record artists in order to perfect their craft; to "practice" varying sounds and techniques; and, to create a pool of tracks to select from when assembling an album. I am sure they had no thought that one day 40-50 years later, they would release these tracks.

Many LPs from that era had room for a couple of additional tracks, yet many were left in the vaults.

I truly believe that the synergy of recording nearly 24/7 on West Grand Boulevard was a key ingredient is building and refining the Motown sound!!!

paul_nixon
08-25-2013, 05:28 AM
Of all the Brenda unreleased's I haven't heard a single duff one, there have been those that could be described as 'OK' but Brenda's OK is other artists wonderful. And then there are some truly amazing tracks that hopefully someday someway will find their way out of the darkness.

144man
08-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Not all of Motown's released material was wonderful. And a couple of the previously unreleased tracks on Brenda's Anthology were in my opinion better than the established versions.

brother_love
08-25-2013, 01:07 PM
I did not think the sound on Brenda's Anthology was all that great so I'm looking forward to hearing Ace's mastering of all of these tracks. Plus, Ace always goes on beyond the call of duty when it comes to their booklets. Brenda is one artist that I will buy anything that maybe issued on her especially if it contains unreleased tracks.

soulwally
08-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Well done, stopinthenameoflove.

no_place_like_motown
08-26-2013, 09:04 AM
More Brenda! Alright!! I agree with the poster that said they would buy the CD even if there was just one unreleased track by BH. Being treated to 8 unreleased tracks has certainly made my day! Can't wait until October...

Cadeho
08-27-2013, 12:16 AM
I can't wait! I'm sorry the interest in the real meat of Motown is not huge in the US... or it seems. So many compilations here seem to have the exact same songs over and over and over. Why aren't we as interested in what is kind of NEW music from artists that sometimes are not around anymore to make new material? I am so glad I became a classic Motown fan and was able to ride a wave of releases before they became unattainable. I am sorry I was too young in the 80s and 90s to catch a lot of the rereleases. It's going to a great Christmas!

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
08-27-2013, 03:18 AM
Yay, I'm so excited about getting 8 more Brenda Holloway vault songs!

If you have Brenda's 2CD Motown Anthology, then these are the rest of the Motown songs you'll need that have been released on various compilations:

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! THE MOTOWN SOUND
Lonely Boy

TAMLA MOTOWN CONNOISSEURS
Tell Me Your Story

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN!
All Your Love
How Can I
My World Is Crumbling
Who You Gonna Run To
Trapped In A Love Affair

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 2
Crying Time

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 3
You’re Walking Out With My Heart
We’ll Keep On Rolling
Going To A Go-Go

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 4
My Baby Moves Me
Little Miss Loser

MOTOWN SINGS MOTOWN TREASURES
Ooo Baby Baby

FINDERS KEEPERS: MOTOWN GIRLS 1961-67
Don’t Turn Your Back On Me

robb_k
08-27-2013, 04:34 AM
Has "Love Woke Me Up This Morning" yet been "officially" released on CD? That was my favourite vaulted song of hers.

roger
08-27-2013, 04:51 AM
Has "Love Woke Me Up This Morning" yet been "officially" released on CD? That was my favourite vaulted song of hers.

It is on CD2 of her "Motown Anthology" released in 2005 ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Motown-Anthology-Brenda-Holloway/dp/B0002Z9YGO

Roger

longtimefan
08-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks, Buttered Popcorn. That is exactly the list I was asking for!!!!

snakepit
08-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Delighted that this LP is being released as I miss the 'correct' running order of the tracks. A favourite LP of mine, and now I can expect to hear the tracks I remember in the right sequence.
As a young man, new to Motown , I came across this LP in a shop on the Isle of Wight whilst on summer camp with Boys Brigade [[happy days).I Must have changed my mind a few times and spent about half an hour deciding if I would buy this LP from an artist I didn't really know....but the Tamla Motown label convinced me to buy it...and a very wise choice I made. In fact life changing....
And with bonus too...excellent issue from Ace.
The "After all you've done" was on SDF recently...sounded like a gem from Smokey...can't wait for full version

Kamasu_Jr
08-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Good story Snakepit. If it's good enough for Snake, then it's good enough for me. Snake, theboyfromcrosstown and Grapevine are true Motown & soul music scholars, whose taste I've always respected.

snakepit
08-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Good story Snakepit. If it's good enough for Snake, then it's good enough for me. Snake, theboyfromcrosstown and Grapevine are true Motown & soul music scholars, whose taste I've always respected.

thank you Kamasu.
The UK LP was always a rare 'collectors" item.....anybody aspiring to collect all Motown LPs had difficulty with this issue.
My main Motown buddy , who was collecting UK LPs bought my copy, after I had made the decision to sell all my vinyl. He adorned his walls at home with all his UK album covers.
I distinctly recall him telling me that I was welcome to visit him..........and reacquaint myself with my old album!
However, sadly, he left his matrimonial home, and I've not see him OR Brenda's cover for many years!

mr soul
09-06-2013, 04:14 PM
At last I've been able to Pre-order from Amazon UK.

kenneth
09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
I didn't find Kamasu's response above especially snarky...I assumed he was just being a little sarcastic. Not a big deal.

I buy almost everything Ace/Kent puts out on Motown or King/Federal/Deluxe related artists. [[Actually, I guess I really buy all of them.) Anything that they put out is mastered absolutely beautifully. As much as I love the Hip-O material, I don't think their mastering is up to that of Ace/Kent.

Even the Mary Wells 2-fer was worth buying, although I already have the original LPs, as well as the Motown 2-fer [[one LP was different, I believe, but I think both were on different Motown 2-fers). Hearing the Monaural so crisp and clear on the new CD is like hearing the songs anew.

So of course I'll be getting the Brenda Holloway - even if it didn't have the unreleased tracks, I'd still be buying it.

theboyfromxtown
09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
http://acerecords.co.uk/the-artistry-of-brenda-holloway

Kamasu_Jr
09-09-2013, 04:58 PM
I didn't find Kamasu's response above especially snarky...I assumed he was just being a little sarcastic. Not a big deal.

I buy almost everything Ace/Kent puts out on Motown or King/Federal/Deluxe related artists. [[Actually, I guess I really buy all of them.) Anything that they put out is mastered absolutely beautifully. As much as I love the Hip-O material, I don't think their mastering is up to that of Ace/Kent.

Even the Mary Wells 2-fer was worth buying, although I already have the original LPs, as well as the Motown 2-fer [[one LP was different, I believe, but I think both were on different Motown 2-fers). Hearing the Monaural so crisp and clear on the new CD is like hearing the songs anew.

So of course I'll be getting the Brenda Holloway - even if it didn't have the unreleased tracks, I'd still be buying it.

Thanks Kenneth. I usually support most soul releases from Ace/Kent even when I am critical. My comments didn't ruin or stop anything.

nabob
09-09-2013, 07:17 PM
It was not released in the US in the Sixties. But some form of it was released on the Brenda Holloway Motown Anthology and there was a mono album with that title in the UK [TML 11083]. I think this will be a stereo, but I am not sure because . . . . And yes you can order it if you like.One of our cousins from across the water made a cassette for me years ago [[about 2000) that included both the music and the surface pops in stereo. Your question forced me to fire up the cassette deck which has been dormant for more years than I can remember.

Kam, let it go. Like you, I've passed on a lot of music that just wasn't what I wanted. I usually try to buy to support future releases, but if there's something about the package which is not appealing the money gets spent elsewhere.

The bonus tracks on the CD were only mixed for mono back in the day, and we thought people would rather hear the original mixes to hearing new stereo mixes.I got lost in a cultural disconnect trying to understand whether the bonus material will be stereo or mono. SORRY!

RossHolloway
09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Looks like sound clips for this cd are now up!

http://acerecords.co.uk/the-artistry-of-brenda-holloway-with-bonus-tracks-from-the-motown-vaults

theboyfromxtown
09-30-2013, 05:33 PM
A very different version from Marvin Gaye of It's Love I Need

soulwally
10-01-2013, 08:26 AM
I've finally ordered this now, and looking forward to it immensely. In anticipation I got out the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics CD [[1991), as I hadn't played it in its entirety in a while.
I passed on the double anthology, reasoning there would be too many LA cuts, but I regret this now. And, of course, you can't get hold of a copy unless you're cashed up.
I'm looking forward to the now-legendary Ace remastering, as Greatest Hits... is a bit of a mish-mash, soundwise, some stereo, some mono.
There's some distortion on Hurt A Little Everyday, and listening to the sound clips, it still sounds to be there [[on the horns, it seems to be).
I used to have a mono copy of the original The Artistry of Brenda Holloway, which I sold for no little money, and Together Till The End Of Time sounded great on there. I didn't like how it sounded on Greatest Hits..., so I'm hoping the version on the new CD will be more pleasing to these ears.

mysterysinger
10-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Given that only a small proportion of Brenda Holloway's output saw release, and even less was really successful and provided income, and given that recording fees and such were deducted from artist royalties even if the tracks were not released - how much money does Brenda still owe Motown?

RossHolloway
10-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Given that only a small proportion of Brenda Holloway's output saw release, and even less was really successful and provided income, and given that recording fees and such were deducted from artist royalties even if the tracks were not released - how much money does Brenda still owe Motown?

I remember reading a quote from Brenda on this very issue and she basically said that she will never be able to pay all the recording fees that she still owes to Motown.

mysterysinger
10-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Heck that's really bad. Let's start a campaign or something. Better still, let's buy her CDs.

roger
10-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Heck that's really bad. Let's start a campaign or something. Better still, let's buy her CDs.

I totally agree mysterysinger .. and .. as Amazon.co.uk currently have this up for pre-order at £9.99 [[which is almost £3 less than Ace are charging via their website) I have just put in my order ... :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Artistry-Of-Brenda-Holloway/dp/B00EZPWJSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381406152&sr=8-1&keywords=brenda+Holloway

Less than £10 for 8 previously unreleased BRENDA HOLLOWAY tracks seems good value to me!!

Roger

no_place_like_motown
10-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Less than £10 for 8 previously unreleased BRENDA HOLLOWAY tracks seems good value to me!!

Roger

You got that right, Roger! :)

theboyfromxtown
10-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Woo hoo.....my copy has arrived!

booty
10-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Woo hoo.....my copy has arrived!

Where did you order your copy from?

longtimefan
10-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Where did you order your copy from?

I am curious, too. It is scheduled for release in the UK on October 28th.

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
10-20-2013, 12:13 AM
I need it now! lol! There are so many different releases coming out this fall, that I've had to decided which ones to get now and which ones to wait for, and Brenda's is one that I will be getting as soon as I can!:D

R. Mark Desjardins
10-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Just a thought to share with other Tamla/Motown music fans in North America about the high cost of UK imported CD's. I have ordered several CD's from AmazonUK or even waited just a while shortly after release and found a "near new" used copy on that site. The postage rates are very reasonable and the delivery amazingly fast.

booty
10-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Mine arrived today - ACE!

theboyfromxtown
10-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Absolutely loving this new Ace cd

superlou
10-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Ordered mine from Dusty Groove on Friday, shipped Saturday. Should be here end of week.

RossHolloway
10-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Ordered mine from Dusty Groove on Friday, shipped Saturday. Should be here end of week.

I ordered mine from Dusty Groove also, but got an email saying that it was out of stock.:mad:

theboyfromxtown
10-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Cant you order from amazon.co.uk?

RossHolloway
10-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Cant you order from amazon.co.uk? Good idea, I will try and cancel my order with Dusty Groove and see if I can't. I know amazon.com has the title for release in mid-November.

144man
11-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I can't stop playing "After All That You've Done", the sort of track that attracted me to Motown in the first place. Pure magic.

johnny_raven
11-01-2013, 11:00 PM
I was just notified that my order is on it's way along with the Thelma Houston / Jerry Butler 2 fer.

theboyfromxtown
11-02-2013, 05:28 AM
I can't stop playing "After All That You've Done", the sort of track that attracted me to Motown in the first place. Pure magic.

It amazes me how it was just left in the vault at the time.

mowsville
11-02-2013, 07:34 AM
It is a wonder how many recordings were vaulted that are absolute gems...Im playing Brenda's version of "my smile is just a frown" over and over...im not usually a fan of the L.A cuts but this is just amazing...I would have to say that this Kent/Ace release is the best yet...keep em coming :-)

keith_hughes
11-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Thank you, mowsville. Maybe now is the time to apologise for the incorrect running order on the booklet track list. My fault, I proofed the copy in a hurry as I was rushing off on holiday.

It's certainly our intention to bring you more unreleased Brenda. Finders Keepers Volume 2, anyone?

Keith

Roger Polhill
11-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Thank you, mowsville. Maybe now is the time to apologise for the incorrect running order on the booklet track list. My fault, I proofed the copy in a hurry as I was rushing off on holiday.

It's certainly our intention to bring you more unreleased Brenda. Finders Keepers Volume 2, anyone?

Keith

You betcha Keith 3 & 4 too.I`ve just been advised that mine is on the way.

mowsville
11-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Hey Keith im sure I speak for most that a small mistake like that is nothing compared to what was on the actual disc...as the big man said " it's what's in the grooves that count"...MORE unreleased Brenda????....Finders Keepers Vol 2????..bring it on...bring it on :-)

theboyfromxtown
11-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Oh ma gawd....I didn't even notice the incorrect running order.

So Keith...there is at least one good reason to getting old and having to update glasses, it means not being able to pay attention to detailed liner notes and track listings!

I'm loving this cd still. My favourites are still It's Love I Need, The Love Line and After All That You've Done. BTW< does anypne find Patrice's background voice on Mr LIfeguard a little too piercing!I

144man
11-03-2013, 07:26 AM
The running order's correct on the back cover, so no real problem.

762rob
11-03-2013, 01:06 PM
It's great to have the " Artistry" album back in print, the TamlaMotown CD being OOP and prohibitively expensive. Too bad Universal let it go, I remember how we all eagerly waited for it to appear at the time.
Thank you Keith for taking up the slack, let's get IvyJo and Blinky out there too.
Love the stereo cuts on "Artistry" so unique! I had all the Tamla 45s in the 60's.
Found them in boxes in the basement of the record store where I was working!

MotownLover
11-04-2013, 12:47 AM
I received my copy here in California the other day and had a listen. I knew of all the previously released material of Brenda's, but had never heard the bonus tracks. I would say that the newly released tunes are ok but nothing really stood out as really exceptional or that would deserve additional listening, IMHO.

MotownLover
11-04-2013, 12:49 AM
I received my copy here in California the other day and had a listen. I knew of all the previously released material of Brenda's, but had never heard the bonus tracks. I would say that the newly released tunes are ok but nothing really stood out as really exceptional or that would deserve additional listening, IMHO. I really enjoyed the booklet though. Very well written with all the details we Motown obsessed fans would be interested to read. Great job! And, yes, we need similar releases on Blinky and Ivy Jo Hunter!

soulwally
11-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I've been 'living' with my copy for a few days now.
First of all, it sounds sublime, apart from Hurt A Little Everyday, a tune I mentioned higher up the thread. It's still got distortion on some of the instruments - is there not a 'clean' take around? I don't know about these things [[apart from what my ears tell me), but how can everything on, say, I've Got To Find It, sound so crystal clear, and 'Hurt', probably recorded in the same studio on the same equipment, not be up to scratch?
Of the previously-unreleased cuts, Just Another Lonely Night is head and shoulders above the others, and Can't We Be Strangers Again offers itself as the most un-Motown Motown [[albeit LA) production ever.
Brenda's voice is so much better on the Detroit cuts, where Frank and Smokey et al have got her to sound more like a soul singer, against the LA tracks, where I think she sounds much too overwrought at times.
But to thanks to all at Ace for another marvellous CD.

motown01
11-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Just Another Lonely Night is perfection.

Nice to hear the original version of Can't We Be Strangers again as well - I prefer Brenda's to the Blinky / Edwin version.

soulwally
11-08-2013, 06:04 AM
Got to add I like Love Line as well - Staunton and Walker doing a Smokey!