PDA

View Full Version : Robin thicke sues gaye family over "blurred lines"

test

glencro
08-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Now that's a twist http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/robin-thicke-sues-marvin-gayes-family-blurred-lines_n_3767108.html

nosey
08-21-2013, 10:50 PM
I can see the similarities; especially the beat. It also sounds like something Prince would put out.

daddyacey
08-23-2013, 11:25 PM
"The suit claims the Gaye family is alleging that "Blurred Lines" and Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" "feel" or "sound" the same,"

Well the sound and the groove is similar

"and that the "Gaye defendants are claiming ownership of an entire genre, as opposed to a specific work."
I didn't see where the Gaye's said that , besides that's a stupid thing to claim. The only one who could claim ownership of a "sub-genre" ,is James Brown and that would be Hip-Hop in its fetal stage and in some ways......FUNK.

"As for Funkadelic, there's said to be claimed similarity between Thicke's hit and Funakedlic's "Sexy Ways."
"But there are no similarities between plaintiffs' composition and those the claimants allege they own, other than commonplace musical elements," states the lawsuit. "Plaintiffs created a hit and did it without copying anyone else's composition"

B.L. contains "elements" of both compositions that belong to the same genre ,yet don't sound or feel the same. So if you mix two elements of the same genre ,then you are actually making a new "original" genre.........If I understand their logic.

yeah , o.k.

Cosmic Truth
08-24-2013, 03:04 PM
It's so similar to Got To Give It Up, it sounds like a sample. if it isn't a sample, then he's ripped off the song.

I couldn't see the similarity between Blurred Lines, and Sexy Ways though.