PDA

View Full Version : Randy Crawford-Original Album Series

test

daviddesper
08-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Just saw that Miss Randy is now being featured on that five-album series that you can get for a bargain price. Maybe her collection has been around for a while but this is the first time I have noticed it. Also several artists, including Miss Aretha, are actually getting a Volume 2 released. I really like the concept and you can't beat the price!

I have never actually been a huge fan of Randy because her music is a little soft and subdued for my tastes. However, I recall her being a guest once on Dionne Warwick's short-lived TV series [[Dionne and Friends I think it was called, not to be confused with her hosting gigs on Solid Gold) and on that episode, Randy came across as if she was an absolutely sweet person.

Kamasu_Jr
08-21-2013, 07:36 AM
I have never been that crazy about her voice. It's too trembly and old sounding, but she made some good records. She didn't have a lot of commercial hits in the US. But a lot of people like her.

reese
08-21-2013, 07:44 AM
I think Randy has a great voice. I particularly love her version of KNOCKING ON HEAVEN'S DOOR. But for me, she is one of those artists that I only need a greatest hits cd and/or a live cd.

Kamasu_Jr
08-21-2013, 07:54 AM
I think Randy has a great voice. I particularly love her version of KNOCKING ON HEAVEN'S DOOR. But for me, she is one of those artists that I only need a greatest hits cd and/or a live cd.

Now I liked that one! And nobody sings Street Life the way she does and Who's Crying Now was also good. But I wasn't always knocked out by her choice of material. Her voice was a little quirky to my ears. It depended on what she sang. I feel the same way about Al Jarreau. I can only take him in small doses.

roger
08-21-2013, 11:42 AM
I have never liked her voice either, too tremebly and old sounding, but she made some good records. She rarely had a big commercial hit.

She was HUGE in Britain in the early/mid 1980s Kamasu ..

Her biggest hit here was this one that got to #2 in 1980 ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2rgPqi8Ag

Other major successes were "Almaz" .. #4 in 1986.
"You Might Need Somebody" .. #11 in 1981.
and her version of "Rainy Night in Georgia" .. #18 in 1981.

Indeed she became so popular that if you ever hear "Street Life" [[which got to #5 in late 1979) played on British Radio it is just as likely to be credited to her as it is to THE CRUSADERS.

I saw her live in concert a few years back where she did a very acoustic set with JOE SAMPLE on keyboards and although it was a little more "downbeat" than my usual taste I still thought she was great.

And her L.P.s were steady sellers in the U.K. as well ... :)

Roger

Kamasu_Jr
09-29-2013, 04:27 AM
Last Dance at Danceland is another good tune by Randy Crawford. I listened to her late at night and finally got her.

reese
09-29-2013, 05:08 PM
She recently put out a nice live cd with Joe Sample.

Jerry Oz
09-29-2013, 10:11 PM
I saw her open for Earl Klugh in the '80s and I have liked her since then. "Wrap U Up" is my favorite song by her. I love her voice, personally.

Hotspurman
09-30-2013, 11:12 AM
I loved Randy Crawford, and her debut album is still something of a favourite of mine. And here's a bizarre bit of trivia for you - Randy was born in Macon, Georgia and is American through and through, yet for some reason she was named Best British Female at the 1982 BRIT Awards!