PDA

View Full Version : Motown Alumni Small Group Photo

test

JL2648
08-17-2013, 10:26 AM
I attended the Motown Museum fundraiser at the Westin Hotel, Renaissance Center, Detroit in September 1990. This was a wonderful way to meet Motowners in a generally informal setting. I took the attached photo while there. I've identified most shown: Singin' Sammy Ward [[in foreground), Mary Wilson [[behind Sammy), Thomas [["Beans") Bowles [[in glasses and blue coat), Bobby Rogers [[to the right of Beans), Claudette Robinson [[in red, next to man in gray hat) and Marv Johnson [[in white sweater at right). Who is the other lady in red, the man in the hat and the lady in yellow at left [[Kim Weston?)? --Jeff

Methuselah2
08-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Jeff - It's a wonderful shot. Just beautiful. Could the other woman in red--between Claudette and Marv--be Blinky Williams? I'm not certain but it looks like it might be Blinky to me.

westgrandboulevard
08-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Lady in yellow : Frances Nero?

marv2
08-17-2013, 11:24 AM
I was there too. That lady in red next to Claudette is Hattie Littles.

reese
08-17-2013, 11:43 AM
The man in the hat is Charlie Thomas of the Drifters.

detmotownguy
08-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Marv was this the event where there was a card for Mary Wells? Wasn't Martha also there?

marv2
08-18-2013, 02:45 AM
Marv was this the event where there was a card for Mary Wells? Wasn't Martha also there?

Yes! They had the big one made up for Mary Wells as she was suppose to be there but was to ill to attend by this time. That was also the week Mary Wilson and Anita Baker announced that they were putting together a benefit for her.

theboyfromxtown
08-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Lady in yellow : Frances Nero?

Yes it is Frances.

I have a similar shot which includes the fans taking photographs.

theboyfromxtown
08-18-2013, 06:04 AM

It was a HUGE card and I took a photograph of it. Martha did attend but NOT on the same day as Rosalind and Annette.

The VELVELETTES also attended and if you look at the their Anthology CD, one of the pictures included in the booklet came from that exhibition.

JL2648
08-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Martha did attend but NOT on the same day as Rosalind and Annette.
This was a two day event--a Saturday and Sunday. I was there on the Saturday and met Martha. I don't remember seeing Rosalind and Annette so this matches what I recall. Jeff

JL2648
08-18-2013, 07:58 AM
The VELVELETTES also attended and if you look at the their Anthology CD, one of the pictures included in the booklet came from that exhibition.
Is this the photo at the bottom of page 3 [[counting the cover as page 1) of the Anthology booklet? I don't remember seeing them there which is a bummer as the Velvelettes have become one of my favorites. -Jeff

detmotownguy
08-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Yes! They had the big one made up for Mary Wells as she was suppose to be there but was to ill to attend by this time. That was also the week Mary Wilson and Anita Baker announced that they were putting together a benefit for her.

That is the event where Mary and I literally ran into eachother walking around a corner! I told her how much I enjoyed her Lake Tahoeshow [[1989) and she apologized for it being so short. I remember Martha was nottoo happy; not sure why. Hattie Littles was very personable and a lot of fun. Great event!

reese
08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
I attended this event as well. My biggest regret is that I didn't get to meet the Marvelettes. They were slated to appear on Sunday evening, and I had to leave to catch my plane.

theboyfromxtown
08-18-2013, 03:24 PM
I attended this event as well. My biggest regret is that I didn't get to meet the Marvelettes. They were slated to appear on Sunday evening, and I had to leave to catch my plane.

Reese-I stayed all weekend and I don't remember the marvelettes attending. There was a huge picture of them at the entrance but that was about it

theboyfromxtown
08-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Is this the photo at the bottom of page 3 [[counting the cover as page 1) of the Anthology booklet? I don't remember seeing them there which is a bummer as the Velvelettes have become one of my favorites. -Jeff

Jeff- Yes! You are correct, it is that picture.

reese
08-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Reese-I stayed all weekend and I don't remember the marvelettes attending. There was a huge picture of them at the entrance but that was about it

That's interesting, because they were definitely on the schedule for Sunday evening. I gather they must have cancelled. I'm glad I didn't change my travel arrangements
because I briefly thought about doing so.

I arrived in Detroit that Friday morning. After checking into the Westin, I decided to go over to the Motown Museum. The map I had made it seem as if it was walkable, so I did so. It was a very long walk up Woodward to West Grand, but I did get to see a lot of the city including the Fox, and the later Motown building. When I finally made it to the Museum, I became friendly with some of the tour guides. They informed me that I had missed Wanda Rogers by mere minutes.

JL2648
08-18-2013, 04:58 PM
I remember Martha was nottoo happy; not sure why.
My experience with Martha was just the opposite. I had been warned in advance that Martha can be moody and therefore proceed with caution. Yet I found her very friendly and personable, full of smiles and funny, too. Heads up, Roberta! -Jeff

theboyfromxtown
08-19-2013, 06:06 AM
That's interesting, because they were definitely on the schedule for Sunday evening. I gather they must have cancelled. I'm glad I didn't change my travel arrangements
because I briefly thought about doing so.

I arrived in Detroit that Friday morning. After checking into the Westin, I decided to go over to the Motown Museum. The map I had made it seem as if it was walkable, so I did so. It was a very long walk up Woodward to West Grand, but I did get to see a lot of the city including the Fox, and the later Motown building. When I finally made it to the Museum, I became friendly with some of the tour guides. They informed me that I had missed Wanda Rogers by mere minutes.

I guess you missed the pre-exhibition launch with Claudette, Frances and Hattie. Not too many people turned up for that so it meant fans had the undivided attention of those artists.

westgrandboulevard
08-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Well, that verbal hand grenade just has to be the winner of the many 'Oh shame, y'all missed it!!!' moments I've ever heard...LOLOL

reese
08-19-2013, 07:22 AM
I guess you missed the pre-exhibition launch with Claudette, Frances and Hattie. Not too many people turned up for that so it meant fans had the undivided attention of those artists.

I guess so. Was that on Friday? I don't remember that at all. I did end up meeting and getting autographs from Claudette and Frances [[with a lipstick print) on Saturday.

theboyfromxtown
08-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Well, that verbal hand grenade just has to be the winner of the many 'Oh shame, y'all missed it!!!' moments I've ever heard...LOLOL

Behave yourself! :-)

JL2648
08-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Thank you to those that helped identify those in the photo for which I did not previously have. Now I have a sense of completeness here.

Jeff

honest man
08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
JohnXtown have you booked for Ladies OF Motown weekender at Skegness in September Martha,Brenda,Chris Clark etc ,will be there let me know ,meet up again mate,cheers.

theboyfromxtown
08-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Andy

Send me a link with costs etc