PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross & The Supremes On The Political Hot Seat in Ottawa, Canada, August 1968

test

R. Mark Desjardins
08-12-2013, 12:59 PM
During the summer of 1968, I had a summer job at Jasper Park Lodge, in Alberta. My mom, bless her heart sent me a subscription to The Ottawa Citizen to keep me from missing home. I recalled reading a review of Diana Ross & The Supremes performance opening a three day appearance at the Ottawa Exhibition. What stuck out in my mind was a separate article about the press conference where the woman were dogged by reporters questions about race relations in the U.S. and how they saw themselves involved in the struggle for civil rights.701470157016701770187019

Upon my recent trip to Ottawa, I decided to dig as deep as I could for any information of that press conference and came up with a wealth of stories, and photos from the two major Ottawa newspapers at the time, "The Ottawa Citizen," and it's rival, the more conservative and now defunct, "Ottawa Journal." I've also included another press photo to give a flavour of the time and why such pointed questions may have been asked.

NOTE:

I just noticed that the most important article is too hard to read. I have transcribed it here for much easier reading:

"Talented girls,not gold, behind the glitter."

What was billed as an after show press conference with the Supremes Monday turned into a battle among local disc jockeys to see who could ask the most knowledgeable questions about music.

Through it all, the three young ladies smiled sweetly and fielded the often-barbed questions with a professionalism nurtured in four years of road trips.

Despite arguments that their type of Motown sound is dying and insinuations that they are not doing all they should in the civil rights movement, the three young singers remained cool and calm.

Only once did their protective shield of professionalism slip to reveal three weary, hard working girls from big city ghettos.

Silent Gaze

When asked if they had any regrets about spending most of their time on the road, Diana Ross spoke wistfully about her parents, brothers and sisters in Detroit who she seldom sees.

The other two, Mary Wilson and Cindy birdsong nodded agreement then gazed silently over the heads of the reporters and disc jockeys.

But they quickly reassumed their roles as troupers and talked mechanically about the benefits of being popular music stars - travelling, meeting people, doing things they never would have been able to to "and the money."

The money isn't too important to them now because they seldom see it. "When you're on the road all the time there isn't much to spend it on," explained Diana, the featured singer and off-stage spokesman for the group.

About all they can do with their money right now is "wear it," said Cindy, pointing to the Afro-stye clothes they favour in private.

For Diana and Mary, the the original members of the trio from Detroit, their success has resulted in one disadvantage - they have lost close contact with what is going on in the "Afro-American areas where they grew up.

"When we came home in 1967, we found we were unaware of conditions there," said Diana. "People had an uneasy feeling. We were back recently and things still haven't changed.

One result of the tension in the United States is that Negroes have a higher respect for their race. "I know I feel very proud to be a Negro," said Diana.

Asked by an Ottawa TV representative why they are not participating in the civil rights movement, all three responded with a shocked silence.

When the question was rephrased to "Are you involved" in the movement? Mary scornfully put her hand to her black, curly hair and brought it down beside her dark-skinned face.

Diana explained that while they participate in shows in aid of the movement, they are not giving up their careers for it.

Personal problem

They do not actively promote a set of belief because they are not sure they have the right answers, she said. They talk about problems among themselves, but not to their audiences.

After a brief reply to a question about the trio's view of racially troubled America's future, the group's manager brought the press conference to a quick end.

It is interesting to note, that one year after Mary and Cindy NOT being part of press conference [[in Montreal in 1967 for their Expo '67) performances, the entire group is now present for questioning and all the members getting a say.

Sandy Gardiner, the teen editor for The Ottawa Journal, who reviewed their Ottawa appearance had written a three part article on the rise of the Motown Sound, which I had just recalled after my initial visit to the Ottawa Public Library. I remember that Florence wasn't able to meet to join Mary and Diana for the interview because her sister had a baby that day. On a future visit to Ottawa, I will dig the files for those articles circa August, 1965.

Methuselah2
08-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Incredible artifacts, Mark. Holy cow. Thanks so much.

franjoy56
08-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Mark you are a charm, if you could dig up the article with Cindy, Diana & Mary getting equal play in that 1968 interview you will be a triple charm.

Kamasu_Jr
08-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Very interesting reading. I had my dad read it. He noted that this was from August, 1968 about four months after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King here in Memphis. He said the Black Power movement was strong in the US and there were disturbances on college campuses by black students demanding changes such as black studies courses. A lot of black entertainers were being asked to give their opinions of civil rights, race relations and their views on politics and the war SO the grilling or pointed questions the Supremes received was typical of the time. Black entertainers were no longer getting a pass by simply saying they were just entertainers when it came down to race relations; People - especially other blacks - wanted to know where they stood on Civil Rights, politics and the black power movement. A little Militancy was cool and expected. It was around this time that the Supremes were being heavily criticized for not being black enough by whites and blacks. They would release Love Child later that year to show that they were down and Mary and Diana occasionally began wearing afros to show they were proud to be black.

marv2
08-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Mark, this has been some of the best and most interesting material I've seen on the Motown Forum this year. Thank you!

Marv

marybrewster
08-13-2013, 09:52 AM
What a wealth of information; thank you SO MUCH for sharing!

One interesting thing I noticed:

Several "official" [[or publicity) photos of the DRATS were included in this article; photos I had always assumed were taken in mid-to-late 1969. Being this article was printed in 1968, that's obviously not the case.

With that being said, does anyone know what "sessions" were among the last "offical" pictures of Diana, Mary and Cindy?

reese
08-13-2013, 10:46 AM
What a wealth of information; thank you SO MUCH for sharing!

One interesting thing I noticed:

Several "official" [[or publicity) photos of the DRATS were included in this article; photos I had always assumed were taken in mid-to-late 1969. Being this article was printed in 1968, that's obviously not the case.

With that being said, does anyone know what "sessions" were among the last "offical" pictures of Diana, Mary and Cindy?

Re some of the article's publicity photos, I think many of them were taken in 1967 by Kreigsmann. They are wearing the same wigs worn during Cindy's first Ed Sullivan show.

Re later photos, I have seen some pictures circa 1969 with the girls posed on a fake street set. They are wearing the gowns used when they sang NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE on Ed Sullivan. In another shot, they are wearing the orange pantsuits from their last appearance on THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE.

luke
08-13-2013, 11:45 AM
I wonder if Cindy got in trouble again for speaking!

marv2
08-13-2013, 01:10 PM
I read somewhere that the Supremes got a similiar grilling in the U.K. when Jean was in the group. That's how the rumor got started that Jean was a member of the Black Panthers LOL!

Canada was close to home, so I am not surprised by the line of questioning they received.

Kamasu_Jr
08-13-2013, 02:24 PM
The media began insinuating the Supremes with Jean were robots who just gave the same answers all of the time and that they had no opinions on politics, race relations or the women's movement. It had to be frustrating for Jean, who was used to speaking her mind. Jean did say she supported some of the Black Panther Party's programs for urban children.

BigAl
08-13-2013, 03:25 PM
This would have been about a month after Diane went on the stump for Humphrey and was so ill-prepared for the press conference alongside him that she looked dumb and took all kinds of grief for it. I suspect that perhaps the gals might have been told not to get too deeply into political/social topics thereafter and possibly ended up looking bad anyway. Probably a no-win situation for them.

smark21
08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I just finished reading the new book “Ready for a Brand New Beat” which is about “Dancing in the Street” and how it’s the anthem of the 60s. The author briefly discusses what he calls the “Motown Bubble” where its artists were often disconnected from the details of what was going on politically during the time as they were so busy with their careers. According to the author, when he sat down to interview Martha Reeves in 2011 for the book and he brought up SNCC, Martha said that this was the first she had ever heard of this important and influential 60s activist group. No doubt the Supremes were caught in the Motown Bubble as well, as the Humphrey endorsement press conference showed.

marv2
08-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Yet, they were very central to the movement in terms of their image and inspiration to some Black Youth during the era:

marv2
08-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I just finished reading the new book “Ready for a Brand New Beat” which is about “Dancing in the Street” and how it’s the anthem of the 60s. The author briefly discusses what he calls the “Motown Bubble” where its artists were often disconnected from the details of what was going on politically during the time as they were so busy with their careers. According to the author, when he sat down to interview Martha Reeves in 2011 for the book and he brought up SNCC, Martha said that this was the first she had ever heard of this important and influential 60s activist group. No doubt the Supremes were caught in the Motown Bubble as well, as the Humphrey endorsement press conference showed.

That is not all true. I know for a fact that just about all the Motown stars knew or had met many nationally known Civil Rights Activists.

Supremes weren't in a bubble. They all had family members that were either involved in the movement or supporting it. Mary's brother Roosevelt was even a Black Panther in the 60's. The Humphrey Endorsement was a publicity stunt, nothing more. When it came to the grass roots movement in Civil Rights.......they all were VERY aware.