PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross performs for only a litte over an hour in Providence RI

test

smark21
08-12-2013, 07:56 AM
This was posted in the Ross Hollywood Bowl thread, but I thought this deserves its own thread. Last night Diana Ross performed in Providence Rhode Island. According to the review, the show last a little over an hour. The show is getting shorter and shorter. Here’s a link to the article.
http://www.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/content/20130811-concert-review-diana-ross-delivers-decades-worth-of-big-hits-in-high-energy-concert-at-ppac.ece

Note the response from Joey Tutalo below, though I suspect he’s exaggerating about everyone booing Diana Ross at the end of the show, he has a point about the shortness of the performance. If Diana Ross is only able to perform for an hour, then at the very least she should have an opening act so people can get their money’s worth for a night out.

reese
08-12-2013, 08:47 AM
I was at this show. It is certainly true that it was a short show, especially considering what she used to do. Since I had seen the Boston show a few nights before, I knew what to expect. But since it started earlier [[7pm), I was hoping that she might do a bit more. No such luck. By 8:20 or so, with a reprise of I WILL SURVIVE, it was all over.

Most people stayed at their seats until it was clear that the crew was breaking down the stage. Unlike Boston, on the way out, I also heard a bit of grumbling about the length. But there was no booing. Most were commenting on how good she looked or how she didn't sing this or that.

David J
08-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Last Best Show: Diana Ross at the Wang Theatre
Saturday, August 10, 2013
PrintEmail Comments [[2)
By:
Bill Brotherton

Love was in the air at the Wang Theatre Friday night as the legendary Miss Diana Ross brought her "Summer Greatest Hits Tour" to town, her first Boston concert in more than three years.

The show was exactly as advertised, packed with hits from both her Supremes days and her prolific solo career. A near capacity crowd was delirious with joy, and the diva, 69 years young, looked and sounded great.

At 7:55 p.m., the lights dimmed as ushers frantically tried to get concertgoers to their seats. At precisely 8 p.m., Ross' 12-piece band kicked in and the original Dreamgirl waltzed onto the stage to the sounds of "I'm Coming Out."

"Maybe she wants to be in bed by 10 o'clock," joked the woman behind me. How prophetic. The show was over by 9:20; patrons were likely disappointed by the show's length but there were few complaints about the entertainment that took place during those 80 minutes.

A series of Supremes songs early in the set was a highlight. In rapid succession, Ross delivered rousing renditions of "My World is Empty Without You," "Come See About Me," "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Stop in the Name of Love," "You Can't Hurry Love" and a sublime "Love Child." This was no mashed-up medley, Ross and her band performed every song in its entirety.

Ross' disco-era music got a quick overview. The best moments were during "Upside Down," with four horn players going wild; it had fans dancing in the aisles. The diva herself shimmied and shook what the Good Lord -- and maybe a plastic surgeon -- gave her.

Her film career was well represented. "Ease on Down the Road" from "The Wiz" was a fan favorite, as was a smokey, jazzy cover of Billie Holliday's "Don't Explain," from her Oscar-nominated role in "Lady Sings the Blues." An abbreviated "Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)" was merely a tease.

The night's pinnacle was a stirring "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," which remains one of pop music's high points. The Detroit native should have ended the evening with this song, rather than the lukewarm run-through of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive." The encore was a pleasant "Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody's Hand)" but something with more oomph was needed, maybe "Love Hangover" "I Hear a Symphony" or "Reflections."

For the fashionistas reading this, Miss Ross rocked four ensembles: a glittery red gown with multi-ruffled jacket, a spangly floor-length blue number, a sexy, revealing black formal gown, and, finally, a fab tangerine-colored hooded outfit.

With 51 years in showbiz to cover, it's understandable that Ross couldn't include every hit. I, and most of her adoring audience one assumes, just wished for a few more of her greatest hits. After all, you can't hurry love.
- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/guestlisted/2013/08/last_best_show_diana_ross_at_the_wang_theatre#stha sh.A8YxXPFC.dpuf

David J
08-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Regarding the length of the show - 80 minutes with no intermission was fine with me. I guess the screen was for Hollywood only. I took a quick look at the memorabilia & walked away empty handed for good reason - nothing to buy.