PDA

View Full Version : Perfections on the "Big B" label

test

acooolcat
10-23-2010, 07:14 AM
A copy of the 45 is/was on eBay, billed as Detroit.

Does anyone know anything about this group or label?

acooolcat
10-24-2010, 12:25 AM
It went for 255 US dollars...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200532012993&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You can hear the song - it does sound Detroit.

robb_k
10-24-2010, 12:11 PM
IF they ARE a Detroit group, wouldn't they then likely be the same Perfections that were on Choker Campbel's Tri-City Records? The pressing looks like a Detroit pressing from 1967-69. I never heard of Ronald Magring. Downstream Music looks familiar. I don't remember a connection to Detroit, but I can't remember where I saw Downstream Music. I agree that it DOES sound like a Detroit recording, and something like The Tri-City Perfections [[1971). I had read on some forum that Big B was a Baltimore label, but I have also seen it listed as a Detroit label [[maybe there were Big B labels during the '60s)?

acooolcat
10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Robb

A group called The Perfections had two 45s on the SVR label around 1966 - #1005 "Am I Gonna Lose You" and - #1006 - "I Love You, My Love".

I think there was also an unreleased song called "Love Twine."

I don't know if these two [[or three) groups were related in any way.

acooolcat
10-25-2010, 09:00 AM
1668 Here it is.

davie gordon2
10-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Graham, I don't think the Perfections on Big B have any connection to the group on S.V.R. or any of the other Perfections groups [[ there were at least 8 different groups of that name).

The Big B group were from somewhere in the midwest but I don't yet know exactly where - Indiana I suspect.
Downstream Publishing crops up on records by Bull and The Matadors and The Profiles who were both from St.Louis but it's possible that's another publisher of that name.

I've been trying to figure out the origins of that Big B record for years but haven't been able to pin down anything exact other than it's from 1969 and is definitely an RCA custom
pressing from the midwest - great record anyway.

There was another Big B label but that dates back to 1958 - the chances of them being connected are, I would think, very remote. The Perfections' Big B label seems to have been a
one-shot ... I've yet to find anything else on the label.

davie gordon2
10-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Fred Moss who wrote the A-side of the Big B single had a solo single on Vanessa which was a St. Louis label so it now looks definite that The Perfections on Big B were from St. Louis or
thereabouts. I wonder if, like many St. Louis groups, they recorded in Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P3lHw_hRPw

acooolcat
10-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Cheers, Davie... I had my doubts about it being Detroit.

robb_k
10-25-2010, 09:50 PM

Graham, I don't think the Perfections on Big B have any connection to the group on S.V.R. or any of the other Perfections groups [[ there were at least 8 different groups of that name).

The Big B group were from somewhere in the midwest but I don't yet know exactly where - Indiana I suspect.
Downstream Publishing crops up on records by Bull and The Matadors and The Profiles who were both from St.Louis but it's possible that's another publisher of that name.

I've been trying to figure out the origins of that Big B record for years but haven't been able to pin down anything exact other than it's from 1969 and is definitely an RCA custom
pressing from the midwest - great record anyway.

There was another Big B label but that dates back to 1958 - the chances of them being connected are, I would think, very remote. The Perfections' Big B label seems to have been a
one-shot ... I've yet to find anything else on the label.

You have reminded me of where I saw Downstream Music,-on The Profiles' record on DUO Records. As you pointed out, they were a St. Louis group [[Profiles also on Bamboo[[and Scepter?)). I think it's unlikely that a 1969 record would have a DIFFERENT music publisher with the same name only 2-3 years apart. I suspect that these Perfections are a St. Louis group that recorded in Chicago, and had their records pressed at RCA Midwest [[Indianapolis?). That label design looks like so many hundreds of Chicago labels from that period [[although Detroit records pressed there look like that as well.

Who was the owner of Duo Records? Maybe he was the same owner of Downstream Music? If his name started with a "B", maybe he was also the owner of Big B?

acooolcat
10-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Forgot about this one.

robb_k
10-27-2010, 04:32 AM

Forgot about this one.

Isn't that the Michigan group that was on Tri-City? Aren't J. Coleman and J. Ashford Detroit's Jim Coleman[[Sir Rah) and Jack Ashford?

acooolcat
10-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Robb - this could well be the Trei-City group... who knows?