PDA

View Full Version : I suspect too 'old school' for some - video - but if you like harmonizing...

test

MIKEW-UK
08-09-2013, 04:14 PM
The Larks - video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTa_tNpNcyk

MIKEW-UK
08-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Don Julian and The Larks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpl0zmqGOrQ

robb_k
08-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Don Julian's Larks from 1965 is "Old School"? Maybe Don Julian's Meadowlarks from 1954 is Old School. 1964 is "New School" 1970 and newer is "No School".

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
08-09-2013, 06:04 PM
LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE VOCAL GROUP HARMONY!!!!

NEVER too old school for me. Great thread.:cool:

~~Mary~~

daddyacey
08-10-2013, 03:07 AM
School is school. That's what's wrong with the interpretation of music today. Music is an evolutionary artform and must be studied as such. I had the idea when taking music in school that Mozart and the classics did not apply to me ,but as I began to appriciate the orchestration of Motown and the Philly sounds as far back as the 60's and the works of Barry White and Thom Bell etc ,the strings ,the horns ........it all clicked. The voices of the Doo-Wop groups and even Barber Shop harmony has it's place in musics evolution. There's never too much school when it comes to music ... NEVER

splanky
08-10-2013, 07:00 AM
No such thing as too old school for my tastes. Ever. Those harmonies are what i live for. I
just wish whoever added them to youtube wouldn't have stamped them with that "For
Research Only" banner which obstructs the viewing or at least placed it in a lower left or right corner. I guess it's for legal purposes or something. Anyway, I realise it's because of
your age, robb k, and I respect that, but I could never agree that after 1970 there was "no
school"...I think Curtis Mayfield, Smokey Robinson, among others were teaching Master
Classes...If you couldn't get on the grounds or get a hall pass, I'm sorry...The world doesn't
stop if I stop living in it and everything new isn't inferior....

Jerry Oz
08-10-2013, 08:08 AM
That was nice. I was born in '62, so for me ol' skool is anything that came out before I heard it fresh on the radio and was cognizant of what I was listening to. So I'd say before 1966. Vocal harmony will never grow old, though. I enjoyed all three seasons of "The Sing Off" because I was impressed with the harmony and a capella music is so hard to do correctly.

Soul Sister
08-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I agree with Robb.

I love both!

"I Want You Back" is in my record collection.

S.S.