PDA

View Full Version : An Evening with Diana Ross

test

warehserat2911
08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
I wonder if this stage show was ever filmed. It had to be my proudest moment as a Diana Ross fan to see how far she had come from the skinny lead singer of The Supremes. I remember sitting in the audience at NY's Palace Theatre with a permanent smile on my face throughout this tour de force. I would love to get my hands on a copy of this show.

milven
08-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I wonder if this stage show was ever filmed. It had to be my proudest moment as a Diana Ross fan to see how far she had come from the skinny lead singer of The Supremes. I remember sitting in the audience at NY's Palace Theatre with a permanent smile on my face throughout this tour de force. I would love to get my hands on a copy of this show.

That would be nice, but the best I can do is post some of the Playbill so you can relive your good memories of the show

warehserat2911
08-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks Milven. Believe it or not, I still have my original Playbill from the show. The closest thing I've seen to a filmed version of the show is the telecast from Japan.

captainjames
08-07-2013, 08:35 PM
warehserat2911,
I am almost 200 % percent it was recorded, the problem is can it be restored ??? Berry Gordy was no dummy and I am sure even Motown The Musical has been recorded. There are some things Mr. Gordy may love having all to himself [[Just my opinion).

warehserat2911
08-07-2013, 08:36 PM
I saw the show twice. First time in the orchestra and the second time in the balcony. I remember leaving my seat in the balcony and coming down to the stage and Diana actually holding my hand and singing to me. It was a moment I will never forget!!

warehserat2911
08-07-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm sure Berry has a lot of archival footage on film. I wish he release some of the things he has on film for all of us Motown fans.

BayouMotownMan
08-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm sure it was recorded as well as were many, many concerts by Ross, the Supremes and just about every act signed to Motown. The artists would study their performances to make whatever changes in body language, wardrobe, etc needed for refinement.

This show as the basis for her 2 hr TV special in early 1977.

REDHOT
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
I remember going to see this show in Chicago,this was when Diana was at the top of her game,or should i say Motown was at the top of they're game lol,what ever it was,i still think this show,An Evening With Diana Ross was THE BEST show Diana ever did,[[to me)Diana was really bring it,she even won a Tony Award for this show,love it to the end lol,Please stay positive

reese
08-08-2013, 07:44 AM
According to the show's director Joe Layton, Motown and Berry had nothing to do with this show. It sprang out of many discussions between Joe and Diana, who were both going through a difficult time: her soon to be dissolved marriage, and his recently-deceased wife. Later on, according to Gil Askey, Berry made Diana put THE LADY IS A TRAMP into the show, even though she was sick of doing it by that point.

I saw the show in February of 1977. It was the first concert I ever went to, and since I was a kid, it totally spoiled me for the concerts that I attended thereafter because I thought it was what a concert was supposed to be.

Shaqueetha_Jackson
08-08-2013, 10:03 AM
According to the show's director Joe Layton, Motown and Berry had nothing to do with this show. It sprang out of many discussions between Joe and Diana, who were both going through a difficult time: her soon to be dissolved marriage, and his recently-deceased wife. Later on, according to Gil Askey, Berry made Diana put THE LADY IS A TRAMP into the show, even though she was sick of doing it by that point.

I saw the show in February of 1977. It was the first concert I ever went to, and since I was a kid, it totally spoiled me for the concerts that I attended thereafter because I thought it was what a concert was supposed to be.

It wasn't postive for rednot to give the credik for this show to motown was it

REDHOT
08-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Come on Reese,Diana was under contract with Berry Gordy's Motown,who do you think put up the money for the show?i didn't put anyone down,like i said it was Diana's BEST show ever,to me,i too wish Motown had recorded the show for dvd,at lease we have the tv Special,Please stay positive

reese
08-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Come on Reese,Diana was under contract with Berry Gordy's Motown,who do you think put up the money for the show?i didn't put anyone down,like i said it was Diana's BEST show ever,to me,i too wish Motown had recorded the show for dvd,at lease we have the tv Special,Please stay positive

I was speaking creatively.

REDHOT
08-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Trust me,Motown's Berry Gordy had everything to do with An Evening With Diana Ross, creatively as well,and it's not a bad thing,they were behind Diana 100%,no matter what,Please stay positive

Roberta75
08-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Trust me,Motown's Berry Gordy had everything to do with An Evening With Diana Ross, creatively as well,and it's not a bad thing,they were behind Diana 100%,no matter what,Please stay positive

Im sensing some recent resentment towards Diane Ross from you Redhot. I thought you love ALL former Supremes? Everything ok with you my dear?

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

supremester
08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Dear Redhot; According to Gil, this show's concept began with Diana wanting to make her show a bit more theatrical and add a bit of acting somehow. Gil said Mr Gordy and Diana were not seeing eye to eye at the time, and he wasn't around much. Diana and Joe Layton spoke about what she wanted to do, the aspects of her life she wanted to be represented, and then they brought Gil in to work with Joe on songs and arrangements. Berry was not involved at all until he heard from Shelley and Mike Roshkind the money she was spending on it - and wanted the mimes out. He wanted Somewhere and Lady Is a Tramp in. Motown funded nothing but movies for Diana, everything came out of her account. Every ad, every eyelash, every donut at every planning session. EVERYTHING [[and, them some.)

REDHOT
08-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Roberta,i said it,and i meant it,i love all the former SUPREMES,the things i said are true,i didn't make it up,i am happy that Berry Gordy's MOTOWN was behind Diana.you see,it was Berry Gordy pushin' promotin' and investing money into Diana's career,i don't blame her at all,all this was coming to her,and she took it,if i was in her shoes,maybe i would have done the same thing,[[or maybe not)i just see things different,i don't need to put Diana or Mary down to make a point,sure i love Mary the most,and i have said there's even some things i don't like about her,but in the end i will always tell the truth,i don't dislike anyone here,not even Marv,how could i dislike someone i never met lol,Please stay positive p.s there are some things i just won't say lol

Roberta75
08-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Roberta,i said it,and i meant it,i love all the former SUPREMES,the things i said are true,i didn't make it up,i am happy that Berry Gordy's MOTOWN was behind Diana.you see,it was Berry Gordy pushin' promotin' and investing money into Diana's career,i don't blame her at all,all this was coming to her,and she took it,if i was in her shoes,maybe i would have done the same thing,[[or maybe not)i just see things different,i don't need to put Diana or Mary down to make a point,sure i love Mary the most,and i have said there's even some things i don't like about her,but in the end i will always tell the truth,i don't dislike anyone here,not even Marv,how could i dislike someone i never met lol,Please stay positive p.s there are some things i just won't say lol

im glad you are okay my dear. Thanks for your response dear RedHot.

Goldstar have half price Natalie Cole tickets. http://www.goldstar.com/e/72540

Do you want to go to the Hollywood Bowl to see Miss Cole with me and my cousins?

Half price tickets are only $16 so please send me a message if you want to go with us.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

stephanie
08-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Funny Supremester I thought Motown funded this. I am assuming Ross made a good return on this. Listening to the album is one thing but actually seeing it is even better. I was not hot on the mimes either but it was a great show.

warehserat2911
08-09-2013, 09:10 PM
I loved the mimes and I thought putting Diana together with Joe Layton was a stroke of genius. Diana and Joe Layton together were pure magic!

Roberta75
08-09-2013, 09:43 PM
I loved the mimes and I thought putting Diana together with Joe Layton was a stroke of genius. Diana and Joe Layton together were pure magic!

Diane Ross is a great performer. My all time favorite will always be the First Lady of Motown Records Dr martha Reeves but Diane is in my top 5.

Roberta

REDHOT
08-10-2013, 02:52 AM
Hey Roberta,sorry i didn't get back to you sooner,i already got my Ticket to see Natalie Cole,i'll be there lol,As far as female singers,the Natalie Cole,and the late Syreeta are number 1,i also like Thelma Houston,she was the first female singer at Motown to win a Grammy in 1975 for You Been Doing Wrong For So Long,she won another Grammy in 1977 for Don't Leave Me This Way,love me some Scherrie and Freda Payne,everyone here knows i LOVE Mary Wilson 100%lol,Please stay positive

no_place_like_motown
08-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Hey Roberta,sorry i didn't get back to you sooner,i already got my Ticket to see Natalie Cole,i'll be there lol,As far as female singers,the Natalie Cole,and the late Syreeta are number 1,i also like Thelma Houston,she was the first female singer at Motown to win a Grammy in 1975 for You Been Doing Wrong For So Long,she won another Grammy in 1977 for Don't Leave Me This Way,love me some Scherrie and Freda Payne,everyone here knows i LOVE Mary Wilson 100%lol,Please stay positive

Thelma was nominated for YBDWFSL in'74 in the Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female category but Aretha won the grammy that year for "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing." Thelma's only grammy win was for DLMTW in 1977 for Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female.

REDHOT
08-10-2013, 11:52 AM
OK, i could be wrong lol,but one thing i'm not wrong about,Thelma Houston is the first female singer at Motown to win a Grammy,i'v always thought that Diana should have won a Grammy for Ain't no Mountian High Enough,Please stay positive

no_place_like_motown
08-10-2013, 01:18 PM
OK, i could be wrong lol,but one thing i'm not wrong about,Thelma Houston is the first female singer at Motown to win a Grammy,i'v always thought that Diana should have won a Grammy for Ain't no Mountian High Enough,Please stay positive

Some may agree or not since Gladys Knight was the lead singer of a group, but she was actually the first female vocalist at Motown to win a grammy for "Neither One Of Us" in 1973.

Roberta75
08-10-2013, 02:16 PM

No problem my dear RedHot i just wanted to check to see if you was going and had a ticket.

See you at the Bowl for Miss Cole.

Fondly,

Roberta

REDHOT
08-10-2013, 08:54 PM
will do Roberta,REALLY Noplacelikemotown,i dissagree BIG TIME,Gladys Knight And The Pips won a Grammy,for Neither One Of Us,not Gladys Knight,as a solo,let's give it up to Thelma Houston,she really is the first lol,Please stay positive