PDA

View Full Version : Twilight of the Gods: The Rise and Fall of the Recording Industry

test

jobeterob
08-06-2013, 07:39 PM
http://music.cbc.ca/#/Inside-the-Music

Podcasts of CBC's 5 part series.

jobeterob
08-06-2013, 07:40 PM
About Playlogs

Twilight of the Gods: rise and fall of the recording industry

posted by Carole Warren on Jul 19, 2013

Starting this week, Inside the Music is re-running the five-part series Twilight of the Gods; veteran producer and broadcaster Robert Harris' insightful examination of the record industry.

Click on the link to go to the original post by Robert Harris and listen to each show.

Part One [[July 21) is especially interesting to any one - come on, admit it! - who has a box, or two of old RCA Victor 33 1/3 recordings sitting in a basement or garage, waiting for a visit to the dump, but you just can't do it.

LISTEN
audio [[54:00)Part One of Twilight of the Gods: The Dawn

Part Two [[July 28) sees the record industry look outside its classical music roots to jazz and country music; in the process, it literally creates American popular culture.

LISTEN
audio [[54:00)Part Two of Twilight of the Gods: New Directions

Part Three [[August 4) includes an extended interview with the late record industry Mega-God, Don Kirshner. Robert Harris booked the "way-too-small for Kirshner" meeting room beside my cubby hole during one of his interview sessions. There was so much noise [["Gotta take this - it's L.A. calling," or "Hold on, I've got Madonna on my other phone") coming through the walls, I didn't get much done that day. Fascinating stuff though.

LISTEN
audio Part Three of Twilight of the Gods: Kings and King makers

Part Four [[August 11) While the 80s and early 90s epitomized the most excessive aspects of the record business, the end of the decade saw new and industry changing technology enter the scene. Remember Napster? The little company that could. Until it couldn't.

LISTEN
audio Part Four of Twilight of the Gods: The Ecstasy and the Agony

Part Five [[August 18) More questions than answers here. And many of those questions involve copyright: who owns what, for how much and for how long. A boon for lawyers at least.

LISTEN
audio Part Five of Twilight of the Gods: What next?