PDA

View Full Version : Reminder - MaryWilson and girl groups on now-915 pm saturday

test

luke
08-03-2013, 09:41 PM
PBS ch 13 NYC

marv2
08-03-2013, 09:54 PM
PBS ch 13 NYC

Thanks Luke!

daviddesper
08-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Show was great! First of all Mary Wilson looked SPECTACULAR!!! Whatever she is doing to take care of herself, she should package it and sell it. She looked 15 years younger than her age and was the perfect choice to host this show. So kudos to TJ on that decision.

Great variety of acts. Some very interesting clips and there was a nice variety of soul vs. pop with even some country flavor thrown in. No one act was given any preferential treatment which of course allowed for more to be featured.

My viewing partner, who has watched Youtube and Shindig videos until his eyes bleed, remarked several times "I have never seen ANYTHING by her on video!" so that is more testament to the selection.

For me personally, I enjoyed the Shangri-las clip and it was fun to see The Toys, one of my favorites of that era.

As always with one of these shows, you can't please everyone so there were some notable and disappointing omissions of some who were listed on the CD tracks but did not make it on to the show. Would love to have seen a Dionne clip, maybe the Chiffons, and the Orlons would have been nice.

But all in all a great show. And did I mention how great Mary looked??? Wow!!!

kenneth
08-04-2013, 12:32 AM
I agree, it was a really entertaining show. Seeing some of the stagings and settings from the shows at the time was really fun. Some were inexplicable. What was Dusty Springfield doing in that car with the guy sleeping next to her? Couldn't figure out that one.

My only disappointment was I don't think there were any performances which weren't lip synched. I know hard to come by from back then, but I was hoping there'd be a few. I think every single performance was lip synched to the recording.

Did anyone else spot Darlene Love singing backup on stage to Mary Wells and "My Guy"? Seeing her made me wonder how she felt watching The Crystals "sing" her recording of "He's a Rebel." Though that wasn't featured, seeing her in the background made me recall how long it took her to get any recognition for her great voice - and hit records credited to others!

In Southern California, the 6-CD set is available for a $150 donation. Not a bad price for all that music.

I agree, Mary looked great also.

Kamasu_Jr
08-04-2013, 04:35 AM
I had a rare Saturday night off. I had the program on but went to sleep. I did record it. I would have liked Mary Wilson to have told more personal stories about the girl groups rather than just read from a script. I did notice that the original recordings had been dubbed onto some clips where the performances were live like Respect. I 'd like to know what's on the DVDs. And I like that there are new ways to pledge such as making monthly installments. But I bet you don't get the gifts until PBS has gotten the entire pledge amount.

milven
08-04-2013, 09:06 AM
.. And I like that there are new ways to pledge such as making monthly installments. But I bet you don't get the gifts until PBS has gotten the entire pledge amount.

Interesting point. I never thought of that. And you are probably right.

Mary did look good, but I think she would look better with short hair. Maybe they think that they will look matronly with short hair. They all do it. Diana, Mary, Barbra, Cher, and Tina.

Gladys and Bette have short hair and they look good.

Mary did a good job of hosting. I recorded it and have not finished watching it, but I like what I've seen so far.

Kamasu_Jr
08-04-2013, 09:10 AM
ALL RIGHT! I gots my $150.00 and I IS dynamite! What's on those DVDs?

carole cucumber
08-04-2013, 11:16 AM
ALL RIGHT! I gots my $150.00 and I IS dynamite! What's on those DVDs?

http://wvpt.s3.amazonaws.com/gifts/girlgrooves_150dvd.jpg3 DVD-SET, GIRL GROOVES

Here are 44 hit songs by girl groups and solo female singers in the rarest footage and original performances from back in the early and mid-1960s.

$150
Track Lists: *song NOT in broadcast program
DVD #1 – Girl Grooves [[approx. 45 mins.)

My Boyfriends' Back - The Angels
Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes
I Will Follow Him - Little Peggy March
Heatwave - Martha & The Vandellas
Will You Love Me Tomorrow - The Shirelles
The Leader Of The Pack - The Shangri-Las
Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals
I Only Want To Be With You - Dusty Springfield
A Lover's Concerto - The Toys
I Hear A Symphony - The Supremes
It's My Party - Lesley Gore *
Chapel Of Love - The Dixie Cups *
I Can't Let Go - Evie Sands *
This Is My Song - Petula Clark *
Don't Sleep In The Subway - Petula Clark *
Tell Him - The Exciters *

DVD #2 – Girl Grooves [[approx.. 45 mins.)

The Loco-motion - Little Eva
The Mashed Potato - Dee Dee Sharp
My Guy - Mary Wells
If You Should Lose Me - Barbara Lynn
What The World Needs Now Is Love - Jackie DeShannon
The End of the World - Skeeter Davis
Johnny Angel - Shelley Fabares
You Don't Own Me - Lesley Gore
My Love - Petula Clark
Rescue Me - Fontella Bass
Respect - Aretha Franklin
Baby I Love You - The Ronettes *
Chain Of Fools - Aretha Franklin *
The Shoop Shoop Song - Aretha Franklin *
Don't Just Stand There - Patty Duke *
All I Really Want To Do – Cher *
Baby I'm Yours - Barbara Lewis *
Good Good Lovin' - The Blossoms *

DVD #3 – Girl Grooves [[approx. 30 mins.)

Be My Baby - The Ronettes
Gee Whiz - Carla Thomas
The Shoop Shoop Song - Betty Everett
Jimmy Mack - Martha & The Vandellas *
Needle In A Haystack - The Velvelettes *
The Gong Gong Song - The Ikettes *
It's Gonna Take A Miracle - The Royalettes *
Navy Blue - Diane Renay *
Yes I'm Ready - Barbara Mason
[[Remember) Walkin' In The Sand - The Shangri-Las *

carole cucumber
08-04-2013, 11:27 AM
CD TRACKS

CD #1 – Girl Grooves

One Fine Day - The Chiffons
You Don't Own Me - Lesley Gore
Party Lights - Claudine Clark
My Boyfriend's Back - The Angels
I Hear A Symphony - The Supremes
I Only Want To Be With You - Dusty Springfield
Wonderful Summer - Robin Ward
Give Him A Great Big Kiss - The Shangri Las
Pink Shoe Laces - Dodie Stevens
I Met Him On A Sunday - The Shirelles
Kiss Me Sailor - Diane Renay
Sally Go Round The Roses - The Jaynetts
Where The Boys Are - Connie Francis
Chapel Of Love - The Dixie Cups
Mama Didn't Lie - Jan Bradley
Heatwave - Martha & The Vandellas
Bobby's Girl - Marci Blane
The Boy From New York City - The Ad Libs
Maybe I Know - Lesley Gore
Playboy - The Marvelettes
[[Remember) Walkin' In The Sand - The Shangri Las
Wishin' & Hopin' - Dusty Springfield
Stop! In The Name Of Love - The Supremes
Born Too Late - The Poni-Tails
Broken Hearted Melody - Sarah Vaughan

CD #2 – Girl Grooves

Put A Little Love In Your Heart - Jackie DeShannon
My Guy - Mary Wells
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - The Shirelles
It's My Party - Lesley Gore
The Leader Of The Pack - The Shangri Las
I Will Follow Him - Little Peggy March
That's How Heartaches Are Made - The Marvelettes
Navy Blue - Diane Renay
It's Gonna Take A Miracle - The Royalettes
Follow The Boys - Connie Francis
Jimmy Mack - Martha & The Vandellas
Band Of Gold - Freda Payne
Something's Got A Hold On Me - Etta James
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - Dusty Springfield
Sweet Talkin' Guy - The Chiffons
Tell Him - Patti Drew
Do-Wah-Diddy - The Exciters
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - Dee Dee Warwick
Judy's Turn To Cry - Lesley Gore
Mama Said - The Shirelles
This Old Heart Of Mine - Tammi Terrell
Popsicles & Icicles - The Murmaids
Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart - The Supremes
Nothing But A Heartache - The Flirtations
What The World Needs Now Is Love - Jackie DeShannon

CD #3 – Girl Grooves

Rescue Me - Fontella Bass
Oh No, Not My Baby - Maxine Brown
Yes, I'm Ready - Barbara Mason
I Love How You Love Me - The Paris Sisters
Stay Awhile - Dusty Springfield
After All - The Miracles
I'll Save The Last Dance For You - Damita Jo
The Old Crowd - Lesley Gore
You'll Loose A Good Thing - Barbara Lynn
Helpless - Kim Weston
Pushover - Etta James
My Heart Can't Take It No More - The Supremes
Triangle - Janie Grant
Our Day Will Come - Ruby & The Romantics
The Real Thing - Tina Britt
The Nitty Gritty - Shirley Ellis
Tell Him - The Exctiers
I've Told Every Little Star - Linda Scott
Let Me In - The Sensations
I Know [[You Don't Love Me No More) - Barbara George
I Want To Meet Him - The Royalettes
The Look Of Love - Dusty Springfield
Keep On Loving Me - Frances Nero
You Should Have Seen The Way He Looked At Me - The Dixie Cups
To Sir With Love – Lulu

CD #4 – Girl Grooves

Respect - Aretha Franklin
Anyone Who Had A Heart - Dionne Warwick
Easier Said Than Done - The Essex
The End of the World - Skeeter Davis
The Shoop Shoop Song - Betty Everett
Don't Say Nothing Bad About My Baby - The Cookies
My Love - Petula Clark
Good, Good Lovin' - The Blossoms
The Loco-Motion - Little Eva
Johnny Angel - Shelley Fabares
The Kind Of Boy You Can't Forget - The Raindrops
Maybe - The Chantels
Don't Just Stand There - Patty Duke
My One & Only Jimmy Boy - The Girl Friends
Baby I'm Yours - Barbara Lewis
Mr. Lee - The Bobbettes
I Can't Stay Mad At You - Skeeter Davis
Gonna Make Him My Baby - April Young
Since You've Been Gone - Aretha Franklin
Opportunity - The Jewels
You're Absolutely Right - The Appollas
Don't Make Me Over - Dionne Warwick
A Walking Miracle - The Essex
I'm Blue The Gong Gong Song) - The Ikettes
You're No Good - Betty Everett
Sixteen Reasons - Connie Stevens
The Plea - The Chantels
I Can't Let Go - Evie Sands

CD #5 – Girl Grooves

South Street - The Orlons
The 81 - Candy & The Kisses
Mashed Potato Time - Dee Dee Sharp
Wah-Watusi - Orlons
Society Girls – The Rag Dolls
Gravy - Dee Dee Sharp
Cross Fire - Orlons
To Know Him Is To Love Him - Teddy Bears
Rock Me In The Cradle Of Love- Dee Dee Sharp
Don't Hang Up - Orlons

CD #6 – The Ronettes & The Crystals Original Hits

Be My Baby - The Ronettes
Baby I Love You - The Ronettes
Walking In The Rain - The Ronettes
Do I Love You - The Ronettes
Why Do Lovers Break Each Other's Hearts? - Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans
[[Today I Met) The Boy I'm Gonna Marry - Darlene Love
He's A Rebel - The Crystals
He's Sure The Boy I Love - The Crystals
Then He Kissed Me - The Crystals
Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals

My question is ... why not 5 cd's as cd #5 & #6 are so short and the selections could have been put onto 1 cd.?

Kamasu_Jr
08-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Thank you Carole. I made my pledge to WKNO here in Memphis. I was told that members or pledge makers would get the premiums while they were making the monthly installments.

Kamasu_Jr
08-04-2013, 11:41 AM
With the installment plan, can you imagine how much your local PBS station will get from you IF it has other shows or gifts you want later on? And it's tax deductable. Please pledge to your local PBS affiliate.

kenneth
08-04-2013, 11:47 AM
What's interesting about the very short sets on CDs 5 and 6 is that CD 5 is exclusively Cameo-Parkway [[except possibly for the Teddy Bears track) and CD 6 is exclusive Phil Spector productions. Perhaps they had to separate those tracks due to some contractual obligation? Methinks this is a question for Mr. Lubinsky!

Kamasu_Jr
08-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Are the Spector produced songs in stereo?

kenneth
08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Are the Spector produced songs in stereo?

Another good question for Mr. Lubinsky. I believe the Spector tracks could be heard in true Stereo, but of course Spector preferred Mono. One of his box sets is called Back to Mono for that reason. I think it enhanced his Wall of Sound.

marv2
08-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Another great program. Mary was superb as usual and looked amazing. Thank you TJ for all the work you put into these special tributes. Now I have some ordering to do!

Marv

Kamasu_Jr
08-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Uh huh. Sure.

tjl
08-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks all - - Mary was one of the best hosts we've had, she was really right for this show.

On the cd configs - it all has to do with licensing ownerships and arrangements. Sorry, no new stereo on the Cameo/Parkway material or the PS stuff. But Tom Moulton did a wonderful new stereo mix of "Yes, I'm Ready" on the CD set as well as "Stay Awhile" on the cd set.

zani57
08-05-2013, 05:06 AM
TJ --
Your shows are great. I watch them over and over, when they repeat.I'm hoping this '60s Girls My Music Special receives multiple airings for years to come. Earlier this year, our local PBS SoCal in Southern CA aired the "Hullabaloo" My Music Special and I thought it was great. It was scheduled to air and each time PBS SoCal pulled it and ran some brain power program in its place. Was there a problem with the licensing? I wanted to see the show again and was planning to donate to get the gift combo package. Did this program get pulled?
Thank you, TJ. Please keep these great shows coming!

Thanks all - - Mary was one of the best hosts we've had, she was really right for this show.

On the cd configs - it all has to do with licensing ownerships and arrangements. Sorry, no new stereo on the Cameo/Parkway material or the PS stuff. But Tom Moulton did a wonderful new stereo mix of "Yes, I'm Ready" on the CD set as well as "Stay Awhile" on the cd set.

tjl
08-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Hullabaloo has nothing to do with licensing - sounds like a local scheduling decision for the local market.

It's impiortant to remember that the stations have many shows they need to run [[and re-run) to pay for what they provide 365 days a year. So, in general, when a show is aired again-and-agan-and-again - - it means more people join in and support the cause every time the shows repeat. For the lesser viewer supported shows, not so much repeating.

Please remember - - if not for the station and the pledgers of all their shows [[not just mine), we could not have made [[or continue to make) any of our shows. It's like Martha Reeves once shared that Ronnie White shared with her, every one [[or show as I see it) has it's 15-minutes. It's not all that different from making hit records back in the day really. Some shows hit big - others, not so much - I've had the biggest of hits and flops along the way, I'm just thankful I could have the opportunity to work on all of them.

Thanks again for the kind words, I'd promsie to think about an all girls 60s sequel - - but with so few existing early 60s girls footage [[no Chiffons big hits, no Orlons big hits, anywhere we could find -- - so much missing from the 1960-65 era). I think the show and dvd set for Girl Grooves, offers a lot.

Keep in mind, Mary Wilson was a driving reminder for me to get the Girl Grooves show done. Whenever I would see her [[going back to before I made Doo Wop 50 and 51), she always reminded me how important it was for us to do a show like this in this format. It took us a while to get there - - but we did, thanks in big part to Mary's kindness for what it is we do in our "My Music" series.

Before this, I felt it important to keep a constant presence of female singers throughout a show, in our live shows especially. So this was an experiment to try an "all themed" girl singers show and package. Partly, I guess because I got tired of people telling me of the unwritten "old radio" rule that dj's couldn't play two girl group songs back-to-back often. I figured, as Sam Cooke sang - it was time to change that, at least on tv if I could.

As for Dionne, there's much more I want to do with her - thankfully, the Burt Bacharach show we did was very popular. so this gives me and my co-producers [[Jim Pierson and Paul Brownstein) a good chance to try and explore putting together something similar just for her great songs that didn't fit in Burt's show [[starting with some of her later material and earlier standards and classics she's performed over the years).

Then of course, I still have my "Miracles" fantasy show......meantime, more Girl Singers of the 60s that didn't make this show or dvd, are on the short list for our releases next year.

luke
08-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Superb show tj. Are there performances on the dvd that didnt make the show? The quality of the clips was amazing. Most bizarre-Skeeter Davis' hair and the set she was singing on!! The moon-end of world? Jackie De Shannon and Barbara Mason knocked me out! And Mary Wilson just perfect! Were you and Mary together or separately filmed?

JohnnyB
08-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Superb show tj. Are there performances on the dvd that didnt make the show? The quality of the clips was amazing. Most bizarre-Skeeter Davis' hair and the set she was singing on!! The moon-end of world? Jackie De Shannon and Barbara Mason knocked me out! And Mary Wilson just perfect! Were you and Mary together or separately filmed?
This show hasn't aired in my area yet. I'm curious--were any performance clips of The Supremes shown during the broadcast? If so, which clips were used?

Roberta75
08-05-2013, 03:42 PM
This show hasn't aired in my area yet. I'm curious--were any performance clips of The Supremes shown during the broadcast? If so, which clips were used?
I Hear a symphony was included JohnnyB.

Roberta

Kamasu_Jr
08-05-2013, 03:47 PM
That tired clip of the Supremes singing I Hear A Symphony and standing in front of musicians who don't play from Hullabaloo was used, plus a short clip of the trio singing Where Did Our Love Go from Hullabaloo 64 was shown. I said the clips were "tired" because there appears to be no more footage of the original Supremes that we haven't seen.

marv2
08-05-2013, 05:30 PM
There are appearances from foreign television plus all that stuff Berry has and clips in the archives of local Detroit Television and other local broadcast stations.

JohnnyB
08-05-2013, 09:11 PM
That tired clip of the Supremes singing I Hear A Symphony and standing in front of musicians who don't play from Hullabaloo was used, plus a short clip of the trio singing Where Did Our Love Go from Hullabaloo 64 was shown. I said the clips were "tired" because there appears to be no more footage of the original Supremes that we haven't seen.

Thank you both for the response.

kenneth
08-05-2013, 09:15 PM

That was a funny clip! The Supremes all looked great and the choreography was fun to watch, but having those musicians there - just sitting there - was odd. The one elderly, heavyset musician they kept focusing on looked like he was sleeping! I kept thinking they'd fake playing or something, but I guess they were just props!

daviddesper
08-06-2013, 12:14 AM
TJ:

Most definitely bring on a Dionne special!!!!! That would be "MUST SEE TV" in this household!