PDA

View Full Version : Supremes CD questions

test

ejluther
08-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Just looking for first-hand experiences with these two releases - is there any reason for a fan to buy them? Are the booklets/photos exceptional or anything? I believe I've now got all the tracks on UNRELEASED TRACKS on other official releases and I've got 2 versions of MEET THE SUPREMES [[the expanded version and the recent Soul Jam release but not this one from Hallmark) - thanks in advance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161069518616 [[http://www.ebay.com/itm/161069518616)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181156286483

reese
08-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't recall any recording from the WITH LOVE [[FROM US TO YOU) unreleased tracks cd that hasn't since been released, except for STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS. The version on this cd is the longer version, not the edited one that was included on the REFLECTIONS cd.

I think the MEET THE SUPREMES cd you referenced is just a straight reissue of the original album, but don't quote me.

ejluther
08-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info - how long is the longer version of STAY...? And what's the booklet like for UNRELEASED tracks? Anything substantial? As for MEET, I, too, think it's just a straight reissue I was mainly curious about the booklet and the packaging...thanks again.

thommg
08-02-2013, 12:33 PM
As for MEET, I, too, think it's just a straight reissue I was mainly curious about the booklet and the packaging...thanks again.

Meet The Supremes is a Hallmark release. These are the releases that are done when a recording falls into public domain in Europe. If you have the official release from Universal, you won't find anything different here.

reese
08-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info - how long is the longer version of STAY...? And what's the booklet like for UNRELEASED tracks? Anything substantial? As for MEET, I, too, think it's just a straight reissue I was mainly curious about the booklet and the packaging...thanks again.

In all honesty, I don't remember if there was even a booklet for the UNRELEASED TRACKS cd? It is one of those Marginal bootleg cds. It might just be a single sleeve. The back cover has a small b&w picture of the girls at the Copa. But I don't think any of the Marginal cds had liner notes.

Re STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS, I think the longer version may be a minute or so longer. I'm not at home so I can't check. But it includes an extra verse, nothing earth-shattering. And I can understand why they edited it out as the song itself, while beautiful, is rather repetitive has no bridge, and stays locked in the same groove until the modulation.

ejluther
08-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Just checking to see if anyone knows where I can download this longer version of "Stay In My Lonely Arms" - I've found the LP that features it on eBay but was hoping I could find it digitally - thanks in advance http://www.ebay.com/itm/171072518945?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

marybrewster
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
the "With Love From us to You" CD was a hot one for a while. I'm sure there are a few people on the board that are having a fit that you can pick one up now for $14.00. I think I got "lucky" and only paid around $20.00 for mine. At the time though, many of the tracks were still unreleased. As far as I can remember , there is nothing in terms of liner notes or booklet. I think for the price, it's worth having in any collection.

The $2.50 "Meet" CD is another steal, but a direct, straight release. Perfect for the person that wants the album as is; I much prefer the "Expanded Edition"; great booklet and liner notes, lots of "extras".

mysterysinger
08-08-2013, 07:41 PM
The Marginal bootleg CDs can be picked up for around £5 in the UK now.

mysterysinger
08-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Our friend Hotspurman is responsible for this one

mysterysinger
08-08-2013, 07:48 PM
But Soul Jam are responsible for this one...

Kamasu_Jr
08-08-2013, 08:12 PM
The Soul Jam release of Meet is better, the one to get if you don't have the expanded version. The remastering is pretty good, better than the Hallmark version and the booklet is fun and interesting. A UK company has issued a similar styled disc on the Shirelles. A two on one with Tonight's the Night & Baby It's You. There used to be a time when Meet The Supremes was one of the more collectible Motown albums. People paid $50.00 and up for a VG copy. Now it can be had for $2.50 or less.

Kamasu_Jr
08-09-2013, 08:21 AM
The Marginal bootleg CDs can be picked up for around £5 in the UK now.
The sound and mastering was uneven -making the sound quality inconsistent. Everything that's on it has been released by Motown, Motown UK or Hip O Select.

marybrewster
08-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Our friend Hotspurman is responsible for this one

There's only 2 left at the $2.50 price.....

noel181
08-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Just so people know there are 5 tracks on the Marginal CD that are in MONO and have not been released on any CD that I know of.

They are as follows:
1)Do You Love Me
2)Can't Buy Me Love
3)I Want To Hold Your Hand
4)You've Really Got A Hold On Me
5)Take Me Where You Go [[Version 2 With Strings) [[Taken From The Vault)

If anyone has these on CD in Mono please let me know.

Stay In My Lonely Room [[Alternate Long Version) can also be found on the
Towers Worldwide Celebration "Rare Gems From The Motown Vault"
which is from Motown's Brightest Stars and sound quality is much better.

Kamasu_Jr
08-09-2013, 12:32 PM
If someone has the Unreleased Masters/Tracks CD, wouldn't they have those five tracks in mono? I'm confused.

mysterysinger
08-09-2013, 01:45 PM
If someone has Unreleased Masters CD, wouldn't they have those five tracks in mono? I'm confused.

Which "Unreleased Masters" CD are you referring to here? Thanks.

Kamasu_Jr
08-09-2013, 01:52 PM
The Supremes' Unreleased Tracks disc on Marginal. Never Before Released Masters is a different disc.

thanxal
08-09-2013, 02:32 PM
And...I've yet to see a descent price for "The Never Before Released Masters" CD. I grabbed it in the discount bin at Camelot Music for $4.99 in 1992 or 93. Haven't seen it since except on Ebay for outrageous 'buy it now" prices.

Kamasu_Jr
08-09-2013, 02:46 PM
And...I've yet to see a descent price for "The Never Before Released Masters" CD. I grabbed it in the discount bin at Camelot Music for $4.99 in 1992 or 93. Haven't seen it since except on Ebay for outrageous 'buy it now" prices.

That's one to hold on to. It does sell these days for $40.00 and up. However, it could use some remastering. It's not loud or clear enough for my taste.

reese
08-09-2013, 03:13 PM

I think I paid $13.99 when it was first released. I found it in a college bookstore. It was a good thing that I snapped it up, as I've never seen it again.

thanxal
08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I love Diana's version of "Sweet Thing" and any solo with Flo is a treat in itself.

REDHOT
08-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I want everything from The Supremes from the 70s,Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Jean Terrell Lynda Laurence Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene,LOVE THEM,Please stay positive

Kamasu_Jr
08-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Huh? How did you digress or jump from the original trio to the 70s Supremes? Nobody mentioned them before you did.