PDA

View Full Version : The Motown Musical revisited 7/27

test

franjoy56
07-28-2013, 02:27 PM
I finally got to view the Motown Musical for the first time last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I noticed they switched some of the timeline song performances and facts around. I will not go into the review because it was said before on the Official Motown Musical cite. But i do want to say the young lady who portrayed Diana Ross was fabulous she had her persona down to a tee the walk mannerisms and speaking voice.

Each perfomance of the acts were like watching the real thing although many of the key artists only got one performance The Marvelettes, Martha and The Vandellas, Jr. Walker and The All Stars. Gladys Knight & The Pips, Mary Wells got 2 songs

The opening of the Temptataions and Four Tops together opened the show with a fabulous display of dancing and singing together in interwoved movements.

The timeline of Florence Ballard's exit from the Supremes in this show was at the 1967 Copa performance where Cindy was introduced into the Group. And the original Supremes performed five songs including Buttered Popcorn [[performed by Flo's character Sydney Morton) was dismissed as a novelty piece of nothing, while Up the Ladder to the Roof played on the radio in the lobby where Ms Ross was getting ready for a show, was intended to be a thorn in her side so it was turned off swiftly. The story line sequences that took place were thrown in between many performances.

enjoyed the latter 1970's Motown performances of the these performers like Rick James, and the Jackson 5., the Commodores and Tina Marie. But clearly this was a show that showcased the talent and artistry of both Diana Ross as Motown's Superstar and Berry Gordy's Motown CEO to make Motown the biggest black entertainment venture that catered music to all people., and I truly enjoyed it. The costumes of all of the performers were top notch especially Ross/Supremes. The finale featured both Berry Gordy followed by Diana Ross and back to back individual solo performances.

kenneth
07-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks for your review Franjoy56. Interesting critique.

paul_nixon
07-30-2013, 04:50 AM
Hoping to catch the show when Im over in October

Jimi LaLumia
07-30-2013, 05:23 AM
this will be on Broadway for many years, and, eventually, a major movie release...