PDA

View Full Version : mary wells question

test

the_classic_master
10-22-2010, 12:04 AM
i was putting my 60's show together and i ran across the amazing two lovers history song. i played this song about 7 times, i remember someone post a video performance on youtube, but it's no longer there. anyway, my question is who were the musicians on this track? were the meters involved on this track? that guitar twang in the beginning sounds like their guitarist[[i don't know his name)and the horns sound like they're from memphis[[like some of bobby womack early stuff has anyone else notice that? )i'm sure someone here have deatail and i'm curious to find out, thanks in advance!

Kamasu_Jr
10-22-2010, 08:13 AM
i was putting my 60's show together and i ran across the amazing two lovers history song. i played this song about 7 times, i remember someone post a video performance on youtube, but it's no longer there. anyway, my question is who were the musicians on this track? were the meters involved on this track? that guitar twang in the beginning sounds like their guitarist[[i don't know his name)and the horns sound like they're from memphis[[like some of bobby womack early stuff has anyone else notice that? )i'm sure someone here have deatail and i'm curious to find out, thanks in advance!

Two Lovers History was co-written by Mary Wells and although it shows a southern soul influence. I believe it was recorded in New York City in 1968 where Mary was based at the time. The guitarist on the record is probably her then-husband at the time Cecil Womack. Cecil trails Mary's vocals on the song, so it has that Bobby Womack or Womack brothers feel. Two Lovers History was the B-side of The Doctor and it appears on Mary's album Servin' Up Some Soul released on Jubilee Records.
The entire album was good - in my opinion- one of Mary's best because she co-wrote most of the songs and got back to the basics-a more soulful approach. I thought the music was heavily influenced by not only the Womacks, but by Sam Cooke & Curtis Mayfield as well.
Randy or Tony Russi, the forum's other Mary Wells experts, can probably supply more details if they see this thread.

randy_russi
10-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Well,kamasu is correct. Two Lovers History was written by Mary and Cecil Womack and featured as the B side of her
first Jubilee single, The Doctor, also written by Mary and Cecil. It is a very well produced record and received heavy
airplay in southern soul areas. Cecil and Mary later produced the song on the Valentinos, which featured Curtis
on lead and was issued on 45rpm on Jubilee.
I think Two Lovers History was her best non-Motown work. It could've been and should've been a monster hit.

randy_russi
10-22-2010, 12:25 PM
By the way, kamasu is also right that the recording was done in NYC, March 1968.

Kamasu_Jr
10-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Well,kamasu is correct. Two Lovers History was written by Mary and Cecil Womack and featured as the B side of her
first Jubilee single, The Doctor, also written by Mary and Cecil. It is a very well produced record and received heavy
airplay in southern soul areas. Cecil and Mary later produced the song on the Valentinos, which featured Curtis
on lead and was issued on 45rpm on Jubilee.

I learned something Randy. I didn't know the Valentinos covered Two Lovers History. I've never heard their version.

randy_russi
10-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Yes, it is also produced by Mary & Cecil. Mary & Cecil also wrote/produced another Jubilee single for the Valentinos
called Tired Of Being A Nobody b/w The Death Of Love.
I can't recall the B side of Two Lovers History by the Valentinos, however.

topdiva1
10-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I understand that Mary Wells was a very nice person to her fans.

abfan
10-22-2010, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y36ODY0udUE

topdiva1
10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks for posting this - what a shame how the companies did her in the end. She was a great star in her day.

motown_david
10-23-2010, 04:03 AM
Mary Wells was THE best with her fans. I was lucky enough to meet her on several occasions when she toured England and she always made time to meet us. Such a lovely person indeed.

randy_russi
10-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Peter Benjaminson's book on Mary is in the final stages, but probably won't be available until the fall 2011.

Kamasu_Jr
10-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Peter Benjaminson's book on Mary is in the final stages, but probably won't be available until the fall 2011.

I'm looking forward to the Benjaminson biography. Hopefully Hio O will do for Mary Wells what it did for Tammi Terrell and reissue her Motown albums. We're also trying to get the producers of UNSUNG interested in doing a profile on Mary & Carla Thomas, two unsung ladies of soul if there ever were.

midnightman
10-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Mary and Cecil did a lot of compositions and productions, particularly for the Valentinos. Mary also co-wrote their "Sweeter than the Day Before".

randy_russi
10-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Mary & Cecil also wrote "Superstar" recorded by Bobby Womack on his "Check It Out" lp for United Artists in '74.

randy_russi
10-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Also by Mary & Cecil:

Dee Dee Sharp--Just As Long As I Know You're Mine

Laura Lee--Sat-Is-Fac-Tion

David Oliver--Summer Love

the_classic_master
10-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Mary and Cecil did a lot of compositions and productions, particularly for the Valentinos. Mary also co-wrote their "Sweeter than the Day Before".

WOW! i loved that song! i just got hip to that song a few years ago. she's more talented than i thought. i'm really looking forward to this book of hers.

randy_russi
10-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Well, as I think everyone knows, Mary wrote her first single, "Bye Bye Baby", as well as several lp cuts on Motown--
"Drifting Love" on "The One Who Really Loves You" lp and "Stop Right Here" on the Two Lovers lp. The latter was
cowritten with Melvin Franklin of the Temptations.
She and Cecil also wrote her best single on the Atco label, "Set My Soul On Fire" and its B side "Coming Home".
This single should have been a HUGE hit for her, but received no promotion from the Atlantic group.
However, it did hit the top ten in Singapore.

midnightman
10-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Mary and Cecil also co-wrote "The Doctor".

randy_russi
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Yes, they wrote all her Jubilee singles and lp cuts as well:
Can't Get Away From Your Love
Woman In Love
Don't Look Back
Never Give A Man The World
Mind Reader
Dig The Way I Feel
Love Shooting Bandit
Sweet Love
It Must Be
Mr. Tough
Hold On
Sometimes I Wonder
Love & Tranquility

They also wrote "I'm Changing My Ways" which was on the Epic lp, but Mary & Cecil had recorded and produced
an earlier version which was far superior to the one issued on the Epic album produced by Greg Perry.

Of course, there are many, many unreleased recordings as well as published songs co-written, which were
published by their own Welwom Publishing.

midnightman
10-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Cool. They wrote a bunch of stuff.