PDA

View Full Version : Pizarro: Mary Wilson Shows Why She's Still a Supreme Talent

test

marv2
07-27-2013, 03:54 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/sal-pizarro/ci_23741040/pizarro-mary-wilson-shows-why-shes-still-supreme

Today's lip-syncing pop stars don't have a thing on Mary Wilson.

Wilson, one of the founding members of the Supremes, opened her set at the Los Gatos Music & Arts Jazz Gala on Tuesday by sauntering through the crowd singing "Baby Love," one of her hits with the 1960s group.

But before she even reached the stage, the audio system cut out, eliminating her background music. Ever the pro, Wilson entertained the crowd with a couple a cappella numbers -- without even the aid of a microphone -- before the system came back online.

The gracious singer, not yet 70, delighted the audience at La Estancia -- the Los Gatos home owned by David Stonesifer and Larry Arzie -- by singing many of the Supremes' hits, plus a few ballads [[it was a jazz gala, after all, celebrating the Summer of Gershwin, she pointed out). She even invited several of the female guests at the outdoor event onto the stage to back her up on a couple numbers.

And then the next day she played a free show at Los Gatos' weekly Jazz on the Plazz, this time without any audio hiccups.

milven
07-28-2013, 08:59 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

stephanie
07-29-2013, 04:17 AM
Wake up Everybody!!!!

marv2
07-29-2013, 06:51 AM
Wake up Everybody!!!!

Hey Steph, we are ! It's only Milven that's asleep at the wheel. LOL!!!

pghmusiclover
07-29-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm puzzled by "...eliminating her background music. " Do they mean it cut off her band? Or did she have pre-recorded tracks?

milven
07-29-2013, 11:05 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Wake up Everybody!!!!

Hey Steph, we are ! It's only Milven that's asleep at the wheel. LOL!!!

No Marv. I was just busting on you by taking your “zzzzzz” quote from a Diana thread and placing it in a Mary thread. It had nothing to do with Mary or the thread. I was just doin’ what you do. :)

I'm puzzled by "...eliminating her background music. " Do they mean it cut off her band? Or did she have pre-recorded tracks?

My guess is that the whole sound system went out. I doubt that she would sing there with tracks. But either way, I like the way she handled it. Very professional. I’ve seen her perform live and many times she pulls the mike away from her and her voice still comes across strong.