PDA

View Full Version : Supremes a Go Go

test

davidh
07-25-2013, 06:34 PM
hello SDF, just curious as Supremes Go Go is one of the Supremes most successful albums and one of the fans favorites over the years.
Now I like about only half of these tracks including the two singles but there are some tracks that just seem watered down to me. which is strange to me when the girls rock out on Love Is An Itching In My heart.
I have heard that only half of these songs were produced by HDH while others are produced by other producers such as Frank Wilson.
I suppose its me but this is one album I just cant get into. so to you fans out there that like this album, why? what are yr favorite tracks?
I do like Get Ready, This Old Heart,Shake Me Wake Me

vgalindo
07-25-2013, 06:37 PM
I totally agree with you. This is my least favorite studio album. But it did go to #1. My favorites being "More HIts" and "Sing Holland Dozier and Holland" should have made it to the number one slot.

captainjames
07-25-2013, 06:47 PM
lol to be honest at that time I remember I had to have album because of the pictures and I did not care what they were singing. A' Go Go was big that term at least.

blueskies
07-25-2013, 07:02 PM
A Go Go sort of got up and went for me. Never played it much, but, liked the album cover.

thanxal
07-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I like it. It was the first Supremes album I listened to first to last track repeatedly. Symphony is now in that category as well as Jimmy Webb and the self-titled album. I think I like A Go Go because the filler tracks are largely covers and I like hearing different versions of well known songs. I also like that Mary gets a lead. But the biggest reason is Itching. It remains tied with Stoned Love as my favorite Supremes song.

smark21
07-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Goes to show that just because something goes #1 it doesn’t mean it’s all that good. Love is Like an Itching, You Can’t Hurry Love, and Shake Me Wake Me are the standouts, but most of the songs are indifferently arranged and performed.

Kamasu_Jr
07-25-2013, 08:57 PM
I like it, especially since I got that high definition version released by Culture Factory. It doesn't sound watered down to me. Guess I am the only one who has these discs because I haven't seen any other comments or reviews on them.

davidh
07-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Heatwave and Same Old Song from Sing HDH are out takes from Go Go lp. the cover is nice. my fav lps r Sing HDH and Love Child

reese
07-25-2013, 09:46 PM
A GO GO was always the Supremes album that I wanted. My kindergarden teacher brought it to our Halloween party that year, and I was fascinated. Later I saw it in a record shop, and couldn't buy it because I forgot to bring my money. Over the years, it became the Supremes album that I had to have. Finally in 1981, I got a copy.

Personal story aside, there isn't a song on it that I totally dislike. My true faves are LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART [[although I hate the kazoo mix), SHAKE ME WAKE ME, BABY I NEED YOUR LOVING, and PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE. The only song that I can do without is probably THESE BOOTS...

mowest
07-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Funny, but my favorite track on the album is the cover of the Nancy Sinatra hit!
What bothers me about the album is the instrumentation. It sounds second-rate compared to Funk Brothers' usual output. I guess "watered down" is a good way of putting it.

davidh
07-25-2013, 10:23 PM
I read somewhere that 6 tracks were done in LA and 6 in Detroit with hdh? guess we will get the details when /if the deluxe A GO GO comes out

mowest
07-25-2013, 10:49 PM
I read somewhere that 6 tracks were done in LA and 6 in Detroit with hdh? guess we will get the details when /if the deluxe A GO GO comes out

That could certainly account for differences in the instrumentation.

jobeterob
07-26-2013, 01:10 AM
It doesn't really have the quality of More Hits but it is a fun, good hearted, fast paced album. It isn't a surprise it went to #1 in it's day. Itching and Shake Me Wake Me are good.

lakedistrictlad1
07-26-2013, 05:01 AM
I've always loved this album. It sounds cohesive. You can put it on and let it play all 12 tracks and there's no let up in pace or style. It's seriously groovy. I can't wait for the expanded edition since there are so many bonus tracks around this time frame.

Methuselah2
07-26-2013, 05:21 AM
A' GO-GO, to my ear, was the first hits-laced album of The Supremes to include what sounded like lackluster 'filler' cuts. I found it a huge disappointment in the recording sound and quality, tempo of each of the well-known songs, and instrumentation of all except its 2 included hits. And that same process seemed to extend to the SING H-D-H album, also. It simply sounded like fast knock-offs, quick takes, possibly even demos. By that point, the Supremes' name alone was pretty much enough to guarantee a purchase among their devotees. But some of us looked at our record players in bewilderment at what we were hearing on these albums. The Motown assembly-line process of producing the sound on its singles certainly worked, and rightly so. But the assembly-line approach to Supremes' lps--that is, fill 'em up with what's readily available in order to get 'em out in the market--didn't do The Supremes any favors, nor the buying public. I've always felt MORE HITS was the last great album by The Supremes--each cut seemed to get the full treatment. It even had a 4th possible single release with MOTHER DEAR. But even so, this album has a serious flaw--its inclusion of ASK ANY GIRL: it's a terrific tune--no doubt about it--but duplicating it on a subsequent album was not necessary. If it had just been an alternate take, it would have justified its inclusion on MORE HITS and been something very special just by being a different take. It would have been a nice 'wink' at the Supremes' devoted, interested fans.

bradsupremes
07-26-2013, 11:50 AM
I do enjoy this album although it's uneven concerning the tracks switching between LA and Detroit tracks. I think it would have been a better album if they swapped out a few of the LA songs and placed several of the unreleased Detroit tracks in their places.

For example...

SIDE ONE
01.) Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
02.) This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You)
03.) You Can't Hurry Love
04.) Shake Me, Wake Me [[When It's Over)
05.) Baby I Need Your Loving
06.) Just A Little Misunderstanding

SIDE TWO
01.) Mother Dear
02.) Come On And See Me
03.) Put Yourself In My Place
04.) I'll Turn To Stone
05.) Come And Get These Memories
06.) In My Lonely Room

Kamasu_Jr
07-26-2013, 12:33 PM
I do enjoy this album although it's uneven concerning the tracks switching between LA and Detroit tracks. I think it would have been a better album if they swapped out a few of the LA songs and placed several of the unreleased Detroit tracks in their places.

For example...

SIDE ONE

SIDE TWO
01.) Mother Dear
02.) Come On And See Me
04.) I'll Turn To Stone
06.) In My Lonely Room

I see what you mean, but In My Lonely Room, Come On and See Me and Just A Little Misunderstanding are all my least favorite Supremes covers. Those songs were done better by others. The only song on a Go' Go that is a drag to me is Sloopy.

thommg
07-26-2013, 12:44 PM

The fact that the tracks were recorded in two different cities with two sets of musicians makes so much sense. I couldn't figure out why some of the tracks had a punch to them and some didn't. Now we know! While this was not my favorite Supremes album back then [[I think Sing HDH held that title), I played it a lot. And you only had to wait about 6 months to get a new album back then so more music was always on the way.

longtimefan
07-27-2013, 10:15 AM
It is an understatement to say that we truly hope SUPREMES A GO GO is released as an expanded edition by HipO / Motown. I feel certain that the remastering and inclusion of alternate takes will yield real goodies! I wonder what the chances are of getting this release? Harry?

davidh
07-27-2013, 12:29 PM
i agree Brad Supremes . haven't heard Little Misunderstanding for a while. have to go and have a listen

thisoldheart
07-27-2013, 03:20 PM

For example...

SIDE ONE

SIDE TWO
01.) Mother Dear
02.) Come On And See Me
04.) I'll Turn To Stone
06.) In My Lonely Room
i think you have created the perfect supremes a go-go album. so what are you putting in the h-d-h album to fill in the gap you made by grabbing "i'll turn to stone"?