PDA

View Full Version : Comics - Marvel vs. DC

test

nomis
10-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Which was your favourite? Hands down for me Marvel - The Xmen,The Avengers,Spiderman,Fantastic four,Alpha Flight..I dont know much about DC once I was hooked on The Marvel franchise I never gave DC a thought,Also growing up in Liverpool then moving to New Zealand I think Mavrel was better distributed than DC,I never saw them in the shops as much,One of my parents threw out my comic collection when I left home I was gutted [[a New Zealand phrase meaning heartbroken)Ive had to start recollecting my favourite stories..Im a big fan of John Brynes illustrations I think hes a brilliant artist..wonderful memories

robb_k
10-22-2010, 12:08 AM
I never liked ANY of that superhero stuff, and I had many of the 1940s comic books. I did like Disney, WB, MGM, Walter Lantz, Walt Scott and Animal Comics [[including Walt Kelly's Pogo) 1940s and 1950s "Funny Animal" Comics, as well as "Classics Illustrated" and a few of the EC line, as well as "Prince Valient", Turok, Son of Stone" and some adventure comics, as well as "Asterix"[[French), "Suske en Wiske" [[Belgian [[Flemish)), Many of the "Eppo" comics [[Dutch), "Panda"[[Dutch), "Sjors En Sjimmie" [[Dutch), "Douwe Dabbert" [[Dutch), "Gnuff" [[Danish) and others.

The funny animal comics inspired me to a career in drawing and writing funny animal comics and animation.

robb_k
10-22-2010, 12:10 AM
I did like The Fantastic Four [[at least those on Ric Tic and Soul Records).

paladin
10-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Very funny Robb, yeah I like all the Marvel titles for the most part, in fact as I am typing this in a Silver Surfer T Shirt.
"A Blind man Shall Lead Them" FF & Daredevil remains a fav of mine to this day......Avengers, Thor, X men, Conan [[ loved Barry Smiths art) John Busema, Gene Colan, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby.......

We talked about this once or twice on the old forum and I can remember bringing up Adam Strange & Green Lantern [[DC), also on DC BlackHawks, Metal Men, etc...etc....yes it was good to be young......

Oh yeah Nomis, I was gutted by my grandmother.....I owned all the origin issues for the main Marvel Characters....out with the trash.....

pshark
10-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Why choose when you can have the best of both worlds.This is a little tough but I'll give the edge to DC.
And I definitely like movie versions of the DC superhero better than the Marvel heroes.
If you included MAD Magazine to this popularity contest then that would be my pick.
Btw, I have a super power. I have the ability to change channels without getting out of my chair:D
http://www.supermantv.net/wallpaperbattles/spiderman/superman_vs_spiderman.jpg
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/11043/batman-vs-hulk-vf-2b.jpg

arrr&bee
10-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa!!!

arrr&bee
10-22-2010, 05:23 PM
i did like the fantastic four [[at least those on ric tic and soul records).
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa!!!

arrr&bee
10-22-2010, 05:25 PM
I was a dc comics kid til jr.high those guys were cool!

robb_k
10-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Anybody remember the Jackie Robinson and Willy Mays comic books [[when those players were hot in the late 1940s and earl 1950s)? I had those, and a Gordie Howe comic book.

I also really liked those sports star stories on the back covers of Dell comics in 1952-54 as Wheaties adverts. They had several players in various sports [[baseball, Football, Hockey, Basketball, track & field) [[Ted Williams, Stan Musial, George Kell, Ferris Fain, Johnny Mize, Ralph Kiner, Bob Feller, Marty Marion, Gordie Howe, Sid Abel, Max Bentley, Terry Sawchuk, Red Kelly, Bob Waterfield, Yale Lary, George Mikan, Bob Davies, etc.).

I wonder if there were any comic books about music stars, like Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Ray Charles or Nat Cole? I seem to remember something like that in the early 1950s.

timmyfunk
10-23-2010, 10:55 PM
While I love both entities, I'm gonna have to side with DC. And movie-wise, it's gonna take Marvel a pretty long time to match the excellence of "The Dark Knight".

chidrummer
10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Sometimes I'm still a big kid. And I still have over 200 Silver Age comics to prove it [[how else was a guy to learn how to read?). I'd give the edge to DC only because Marvel was going for realism and I wanted pure escapism. Plus, the never ending stories drove me crazy. I'll probably pick up a copy of the new graphic novel in a couple of days just because of all the hype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Earth_One

mrclemma
10-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Make Mine Marvel! D.C. was too candy-ass while Marvel was more intelligent. My faves were Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Avengers and Daredevil. Oh yeah, also Nova and Omega the Unknown. I also liked the reprints of the sci-fi and horror comics from the '50s.

nomis
10-30-2010, 03:58 AM
Make mine Marvel to!