PDA

View Full Version : New U.K Release CD featuring 'Anna' 'Harvey' 'Tri-Phi' recordings...

test

lakedistrictlad1
07-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Apologies if this has been mentioned and i've missed it - but this new release from 'Jasmine' in the U.K may fill a few gaps in people's discography. Not strictly Motown of course - but all part of the family tree!

Various Artists
A Family Affair - Motor City Roots

Disc 1
THE ANNA RECORDS STORY
1. HOPE AND PRAY - THE VOICEMASTERS
2. OOPS I'M SORRY - THE VOICEMASTERS
3. NEEDED [[FOR LOVERS ONLY) - THE VOICEMASTERS
4. NEEDED - THE VOICEMASTERS
5. THE HUNCH - PAUL GAYTEN
6. HOT CROSS BUNS - PAUL GAYTEN
7. LET'S GO TO A MOVIE BABY - JOHNNY AND JACKEY
8. LONELY AND BLUE- JOHNNY AND JACKEY
9. I'LL GET ALONG SOMEHOW- LARRY DARNELL
10. MONEY [[That's What I Want) - BARRETT STRONG
11. OH I APOLOGISE- BARRETT STRONG
12. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU - TY HUNTER & THE VOICEMASTERS
13. DO YOU WANT TO SEE MY BABY - HERMAN GRIFFIN & THE MELLO-DEES
14. SO GOOD - RUBEN FORT
15. I FEEL IT - RUBEN FORT
16. ALL I COULD DO WAS CRY PT 1 - JOE TEX
17. ALL I COULD DO WAS CRY PT 2 - JOE TEX
18. HOY HOY - JOHNNY & JACKEY
19. NO ONE ELSE BUT YOU - JOHNNY & JACKEY
20. TIGHT SKIRTS AND CRAZY SWEATERS - THE CAP TANS
21. I'M FREE - TY HUNTER & THE VOICEMASTERS
22. EVERYTIME - TY HUNTER & THE VOICEMASTERS
23. I'LL NEVER BREAK YOUR HEART PTS 1 & 2 - JOE TEX & THE VIBRATORS
24. LET'S TALK IT OVER - LAMONT ANTHONY
25. THE POP EYE - LAMONT ANTHONY
26. I'M IN LOVE - DAVID RUFFIN
27. ONE OF THESE DAYS - DAVID RUFFIN
28. AIN'T IT A MESS - JOE TEX
29. BABY YOU'RE RIGHT - JOE TEX

Disc 2
THE HARVEY STORY
1. ORANGE DRIVER - EDDIE BURNS
2. HARD HEARTED WOMAN- EDDIE BURNS
3. TWIST LACKAWANNA - JUNIOR WALKER AND THE ALL STARS
4. WILLIE'S BLUES - JUNIOR WALKER AND THE ALL STARS
5. IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME - THE FIVE QUAILS
6. GET TO SCHOOL ON TIME- THE FIVE QUAILS
7. MEAN AND EVIL - EDDIE BURNS
8. THING TO DO - EDDIE BURN
THE TRI-PHI STORY
9. THAT'S WHAT GIRLS ARE MADE OF - THE SPINNERS
10. HEEBIE JEEBIES- THE SPINNERS
11. CARRY YOUR OWN LOAD - JOHNNY AND JACKEY
12. LOVE [[I'M SO GLAD) I FOUND YOU - THE SPINNERS
13. SUD BUSTER- THE SPINNERS
14. SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER - JOHNNY AND JACKEY
15. BAD WILLIE - SHORTY LONG
16. WHAT DID SHE USE - THE SPINNERS
17. ITCHING FOR MY BABY - THE SPINNERS
18. SHE LOVES ME SO - HARVEY & THE SPINNERS
19. WHISTLING ABOUT YOU - HARVEY & THE SPINNERS
20. MIDNIGHT SESSION PT 1 - THE MERCED BLUENOTES
21. I'VE BEEN HURT - THE SPINNERS
22. I'VE GOT YOUR WATER BOILING, BABY [[Gonna Cook Your Goose) - THE SPINNERS
23. I'LL BE HERE - SHORTY LONG
24. TOO SMART - SHORTY LONG
25. DO YOU SEE MY LOVE FOR YOU GROWING - JOHNNY & JACKEY
26. ANYWAY YOU WANTA - HARVEY [[formerly of The Moonglows)
27. SHE DON'T LOVE ME - BOBBY SMITH & THE SPINNERS
28. TOO YOUNG, TOO MUCH, TOO SOON - BOBBY SMITH & THE SPINNERS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motor-City-Roots-Various-Artists/dp/B00CUEM156/ref=sr_1_77?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1374755504&sr=1-77

RossHolloway
07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Wow. That looks like a nice collection.

johnjeb
07-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Is this a complete singles collection or just selections from each label?

I was surprised to see Money by Barrett Strong, but now that I think about it I might have [[or had) it in my collection. I know I have it on a Tamla lines label. Not at home now to verify.

lakedistrictlad1
07-25-2013, 11:01 AM
I have to say I've been waiting a lifetime to hear the original version of the Supremes 'Someday we'll be together'.

It's such a short soundbite on Amazon but it sounds great!

144man
07-25-2013, 12:34 PM

There are complete listings for Anna, Harvey and Tri-Phi on http://seabear.se

RossHolloway
07-25-2013, 12:35 PM

I was surprised to see Money by Barrett Strong, but now that I think about it I might have [[or had) it in my collection. I know I have it on a Tamla lines label. Not at home now to verify.

According to the liner notes in TCMS Volume 1 for the single Money it states, " Early orders for the Tamala single were so immense that BErry licensed "Money" to big sister Gwen's Chess distributed Anna Records.." There is also a picture of the single on the Anna label next to the liner notes. And of course the 45 single in the front of the box set is a copy of the Tamala single.

johnjeb
07-25-2013, 02:06 PM
There are complete listings for Anna, Harvey and Tri-Phi on http://seabear.se

Thanks 144man for the link. I am on vacation and using my Kindle Fire which doesn't have my favorites. I will try to look at that site but might be better off waiting for when I get home tonight.

johnjeb
07-27-2013, 07:03 PM
According to the liner notes in TCMS Volume 1 for the single Money it states, " Early orders for the Tamala single were so immense that BErry licensed "Money" to big sister Gwen's Chess distributed Anna Records.." There is also a picture of the single on the Anna label next to the liner notes. And of course the 45 single in the front of the box set is a copy of the Tamala single.

Thanks RossHolloway. I do have the Anna single but not the original Tamla single. I do have the Tamla single from TCMS Vol. 1, The Tamla lines single by Barrett that I have is Whirlwind.

I just can't remember what I have or had in my collection through the years. I have sold or given away many records in recent years. Some rare things I still keep - for now. Just today I went to a used record shop, that specializes in vinyl, to get some prices.

This Anna-Harvey-TriPhi Collection looks interesting but I may add it to my wish list for Christmas.

mysterysinger
12-06-2015, 10:46 PM
This was another release involving Harvey records [[from our friends at Hallmark)...

fatmaninthethirdrow
12-07-2015, 06:05 AM
As ever no Letha Jones

keith_hughes
12-07-2015, 05:51 PM
ah, for Letha you need this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G3HPSNS?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_co_p15_d0_i2

[[only one side, but it's a start)

longtimefan
12-08-2015, 02:09 AM
I have to say I've been waiting a lifetime to hear the original version of the Supremes 'Someday we'll be together'.

It's such a short soundbite on Amazon but it sounds great!

If you go o YouTube and type in JOHNNY AND JACKEY SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER you can hear the whole song. Enjoy!!! ...after so many years!

fatmaninthethirdrow
12-08-2015, 05:08 AM
No, I dont.....as you very well know!

fatmaninthethirdrow
12-08-2015, 05:12 AM
Does anyone anywhere have a copy of the supposed alternate pressing of Letha on Anna 1113
"Black Clouds"?

theboyfromxtown
12-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Have u checked Lars Nilsson's thread or asked him?

lg_nilsson
12-08-2015, 02:10 PM
My thread was removed! Link is: http://www.clubsoul.net/soulpower.htm

MIKEW-UK
11-23-2020, 04:45 PM
Sometimes, I like to recap. I have been listening to a lot of Shorty Long. I so highly rate Johnny Bristol. Lamont Dozier is my number one vocalist. Spinners. That's why I delve back into this album. Maybe it's the first Motown Album foundation?? Just look at the talent involved.

This album is on Spotify if you would like to listen.

A Family Affair - Motor City Roots

https://open.spotify.com/album/0Q06258tiP8dkuHvOQPjvW?si=iCO7Q4n2QjSyYrY-RQwyFA

MIKEW-UK
11-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Listening again to this, I just have to imagine how these artists, who I have to believe were living on the edge of poverty, could be motivated to deliver such goods.

David Ruffin, Bobby Smith, Lamont Dozier, Johnny Bristol , Shorty Long, Jr.Walker, Ty Hunter, The Voicemasters, etc etc, it really belies belief that that these starving guys could end up as powerhouses of Motown. I guess the backstory is how familiar these struggling artists must have been with each other, never for one moment imagining they would be famous and celebrated to this day across the globe

booty
11-24-2020, 05:52 AM
[QUOTE=fatmaninthethirdrow;315074]Does anyone anywhere have a copy of the supposed alternate pressing of Letha on Anna 1113
Letha Jones review from Witchcraft in the City. Apparently "Black Clouds" was released a week after the first issue.

booty
11-25-2020, 06:47 AM

The were 2 volumes of the releases from Anna Records issued in 2018 by Hallmark that included all releases except for Black Clouds.

18433 18434

144man
11-28-2020, 04:17 PM
I have never seen a copy of "Black Clouds" and do not know anyone who has one.

144man
11-30-2020, 09:32 AM
Satisfaction Guaranteed/ River of Love - Keith Moss [[Harvey 122) was unreleased.
As far as I know, these two tracks have never emerged anywhere.

[DFTMC]

snakepit
12-05-2020, 01:22 AM
Were the Anna, Harvey, Tri Phi Detroit recordings utilising Motown's musicians. [[ Who would later be the Funk Bros) , and were they recorded at Hitsville once it had been acquired for Tamla in 1960?