PDA

View Full Version : Gladys Knight & The Pips - Expanded Editions Coming Soon

test

calvin
07-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Visions - 2cd Deluxe Edition
http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/COMING-SOON/55/Gladys-Knight-And-The-Pips-Visions_2-CD-Deluxe-Edition/3480

Life - Expanded Edition
http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/COMING-SOON/55/Gladys-Knight-And-The-Pips-Life_Expanded-Edition/3481

I also got an email announcing:
ALSO COMING SOON - SEPTEMBER 2013
Gladys Knight And The Pips - Imagination - 1973 Expanded Edition
Gladys Knight And The Pips - I Feel A Song - 1974 Expanded Edition
Gladys Knight And The Pips - 2nd Anniversary - 1975 Expanded Edition
Gladys Knight And The Pips - The One And Only - 1978 Expanded Edition
Gladys Knight And The Pips - In The Beginning - 1974 Expanded Edition
Gladys Knight - Gladys Knight - 1979 Expanded Edition

calvin
07-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Info on the other 6 releases above, including track lists, can be found here:

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/newsdetail.php?nid=229

milven
07-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for posting this info. Love this group. Notice that bonus track on Imagination is 7" version of Midnight Train. Did not know there was a difference between the two. Do remember an instrumental on b side of earlier Midnight Train 7 "

reese
07-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks for posting this info. Love this group. Notice that bonus track on Imagination is 7" version of Midnight Train. Did not know there was a difference between the two. Do remember an instrumental on b side of earlier Midnight Train 7 "

I was just getting ready to ask about this. I remember my aunt having a 45 of MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA that had an instrumental version on the b-side. But I've never seen one since.

The single edit of GEORGIA had a chorus edited out. On the full version, the group sings the chorus twice before moving on to the "My world, his world..." part.

calvin
07-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Under the track lists they write:
* Please note extra tracks maybe added to the bonus material, all depends on master tape availability !!

So this instrumental b side might still be added to the cd. Perhaps it's still possible to get them to add a track or two if you have any special requests:
requests@funkytowngrooves.com

milven
07-23-2013, 03:43 PM
I was just getting ready to ask about this. I remember my aunt having a 45 of MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA that had an instrumental version on the b-side. But I've never seen one since.

The single edit of GEORGIA had a chorus edited out. On the full version, the group sings the chorus twice before moving on to the "My world, his world..." part.

I never noticed the edit in the 45 version. But I've been singing along to the LP version for decades and know the Pips part by heart. Your aunt may have a collector's item. The instrumental was only on the initial release of the 45. Don't know how many were pressed, but I got the single the day it came out and it had the instrumental. They replaced the instrumental with another song from the LP .

reese
07-23-2013, 03:52 PM
I never noticed the edit in the 45 version. But I've been singing along to the LP version for decades and know the Pips part by heart. Your aunt may have a collector's item. The instrumental was only on the initial release of the 45. Don't know how many were pressed, but I got the single the day it came out and it had the instrumental. They replaced the instrumental with another song from the LP .

Every pressing I've seen [[except for my aunt's) had WINDOW RAISIN' GRANNY on the b-side.

milven
07-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Every pressing I've seen [[except for my aunt's) had WINDOW RAISIN' GRANNY on the b-side.

I hope they put the instrumental on the expanded version. I wonder why it was the "B" side to begin with. My guess is that every song on the LP had hit potential and they didn't want to waste any as a "B" side, so they put the instrumental on the "B" side. I guess they had second thoughts about that.

I don't know if it is rare, but I can't find it on You Tube. And not finding something on You Tube is kind of rare.

Kamasu_Jr
07-23-2013, 05:07 PM
I saw a couple of copies of Midnight/ instrumental on Ebay. I hope to get the 2nd Anniversary and Gladys Knight discs.

nabob
07-23-2013, 08:09 PM
I was just getting ready to ask about this. I remember my aunt having a 45 of MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA that had an instrumental version on the b-side. But I've never seen one since.Money was tight during college days. So singles weren't being purchased - only albums. I vividly remember seeing the instrumental on the flip side, but I've never been able to find a copy. This fell on me about a month ago. Lacking the gifted ears of many SD posters, I'm not sure if this is the original track.

http://youtu.be/eg8MCYZBjc0

milven
07-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Money was tight during college days. So singles weren't being purchased - only albums. I vividly remember seeing the instrumental on the flip side, but I've never been able to find a copy. This fell on me about a month ago. Lacking the gifted ears of many SD posters, I'm not sure if this is the original track.

This is the link that you tried to post. The group singing background on this is not THE PIPS.
They sound very vanilla-ish. Probably one of those karioke records

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8MCYZBjc0

pghmusiclover
07-23-2013, 10:20 PM
I am very excited about the Gladys Columbia solo album. I think all of the other albums have been on CD before, except for that one [[though I'm not positive about "Life"). I'm surprised they are not releasing the Buddah solo album "Miss Gladys Knight" [[which I have on a Japanese CD).

jack020
07-24-2013, 01:51 AM
Miss Gladys Knight was released in the UK by Sequel records in 1994 together on 1 cd with The One And Only.

calvin
07-24-2013, 04:55 AM
I contacted Funky Town Grooves and mentioned this instrumental B-side of MTTG. Tony replied that they held back on listing it as a bonus track until they're sure that the track is complete and the tape is correct. The mastering, btw, will be done at Battery Studios in NYC.

Also, the email I gave above for requests was from their website but not correct. I have corrected it in yesterday's post above, it should be:
requests@funkytowngrooves.com

vgalindo
07-24-2013, 09:26 PM
I am also very excited. I have all Gladys knight and Pips albums on CD. The only one I don't have is the "Life" Album. I also thought Gladys' Columbia solo album was never released on CD. But I did find a copy of it on CD last year. I was really surprised because I didn't even know it was released on cd. I love this album.

vgalindo
07-24-2013, 09:27 PM
I will be buying most of these since they contain so many bonus cuts. Very exciteing..

calvin
07-31-2013, 05:24 PM
@milven, reese - the track list now has the instrumental version of Midnight Train to Georgia as a bonus:

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/PRE-ORDER-CDs/58/Gladys-Knight-And-The-Pips-Imagination_Expanded-Edition/3474

milven
07-31-2013, 08:11 PM
@milven, reese - the track list now has the instrumental version of Midnight Train to Georgia as a bonus:

Calvin, thank you for the original info and for this update. I just pre-ordered a copy . I remember getting the 45 the day it was released, played it all week - both sides, and then gave it to someone because all record shops had sold out. The next day, I wanted to replace it but noticed that the instrumental was no longer the B side. I kept up the search for that B side and finally gave up. Glad to have it coming soon on CD

calvin
08-10-2013, 06:37 AM
I should mention, for those thinking about buying these, that Funkytowngrooves has a summer discount code you can use to get 25% off. I've ordered from them before so I got the code by email, but I guess it could also work for first-time buyers. Not sure if it will work outside the UK, but you can try. The code is IND25, which you enter when placing the order. I hope it still works. This lowers the price from $11.99 to $8.99. A couple of these [[Life, Visions) are 2-cd sets but they're also $8.99 with the discount. [[Prices are all quoted in USD but they seem to distribute from both the US and UK, UK customers can choose to pay in GBP.)

milven
08-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Calvin, it works here in the states too. I saw the code as I was ordering last week. It brought the price down to $8.99 + 3.00 for shipping. If this is coming from UK, that is quite a bargain.
Also, it showed the price in dollars and pounds.