PDA

View Full Version : A little more on Cindy Birdsong

test

luke
07-22-2013, 10:43 PM
http://www.soulmusic.com/index.asp?S=1&T=38&ART=2930 Also check out the June newsletter by Sharon Davis. Scroll down a bit for info and interview.

luke
07-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Considering Ms Birdsong's health...I hope she is not being controlled by others.

marv2
07-22-2013, 11:42 PM
I do hope that Cindy Birdsong is alright. She is a great lady. Thanks Luke.

jobeterob
07-23-2013, 02:13 AM
SHARON DAVIS' MOTOWN SPOTLIGHT - JULY 2013
Published: 19 July 2013
Created By: Sharon Davis About Sharon

Thanks so much for all your comments about Miss Cindy Birdsong following my piece last month. And as I mentioned then, I hoped to bring you a bit of an exclusive with her. Thanks to my dear pal Jim Saphin I’m now able to do just that – it’s a chinwag they enjoyed awhile ago, and shared for the first time. I’ll print it in its Q & A form without any interruption from me; a novelty I know!

Jim – You must be aware that many of your recordings didn’t include you or Mary?

Cindy – “Oh yes. The Andantes were featured on many of our songs, although they were credited as Diana Ross and the Supremes. There is a lady who sounded just like me, and another who sounded just like Mary, she had that low register.”

Jim – What about “Someday We’ll Be Together”? Why weren’t you on that recording?

Cindy – “Well, we were supposed to be. At the time of Diana recording the song, Mary and I were out of town and they had the session booked in the studio, and they wanted to get something out as it had been awhile since our last release. So Diana went into the studios with The Andantes, and recorded that song.”

Jim – How did you cope with all the touring, TVshows, etc? How did you manage to keep going through such a fast schedule?

Cindy – “I guess we just got used to it. We didn’t really have time to think about it. We ate and slept whenever we could and just went with the flow. I remember one day arriving home from Alaska, where it had been so cold. Then we had to repack some sunshine clothes and fly off to Florida the very next day.”

Jim – “Tell me, how it was for you when you replaced Florence in the group?

Cindy – “Well, when I first went on stage with them and took her place that second week in Vegas, I had been studying her by record and so I had everything down. Y’know, her routines that Mary had been teaching me. Prior to me joining, I would sit at the back of the room and watch her performance, and I left before the end of the show, so she wouldn’t see me as she didn’t know I was in town. I had heard though Florence did already know that she was to be replaced.”

Jim - So you left because you didn’t want to hurt her?

Cindy – “That’s right, I didn’t, as she was my favourite person. I just loved her so much and I want to tell that in my book too, of how Florence embraced me before the other two did! Everybody used to say how much we looked alike. People would come up to me and say ‘Hey! You look just like that girl in The Supremes’. I stepped right into Florence’s shoes too. Same shoe size, same size dress. All they had to do was hem it in. And if it hadn’t been that way, we would have had to stop and they would have lost some gigs. So, I remember that day…I had a day and a half to learn the whole show, and then I was on stage as a Supreme at The Hollywood Bowl, and that was a big, big gig. And y’know Jim, they didn’t even know that I wasn’t Florence Ballard.”

Jim – Yes indeed Cindy. I remember that well: it was 1967 wasn’t it?

Cindy – “Yes it was.”

Jim – So, when can we expect your book?

Cindy – “Well, tell them that the book is forthcoming, and when I get a chance to go away from here, I will get a chance to start writing. Y’know, I’ve got a lot of things that God gave me. I haven’t written them down yet but they’re in my mind, these new things. I’m glad that the experiences I’m going through right now have happened, as it’s gonna put a little kick to the book. Everything will be positive. It’ll be something to feed off and to help people to do things they wouldn’t do. I’m just gonna pour out from my heart.”

Jim – Everyone keeps asking me about it.

Cindy – “I’ve been saying it for years but this time I’m ready to do it. I like to be in a quiet space to think and reminisce and go back and put all those things down. When I’m talking to someone and something comes up, I say ‘wow! I forgot that myself.’ I want everything to be just right. I think whatever I put in is going to be the truth, and I might use some of my experiences to teach people don’t do that! Because I’ve seen a lot of that in my family, and I wasn’t going to do that but they’re gone, and you have to have a conscience. You have to have a heart, and not to degrade somebody, especially if you love them.”

Now – my turn! There’s no positive news about Cindy’s book although I’m told she has started it. Certainly, it’s bound to put a different slant on her time with The Supremes, I’d have thought, and to learn first hand about her life with Patti LaBelle, will make compulsive reading. Needless to say, if anything more comes through, I’ll report back. Or, in the meantime, do check out Jim’s website - www.jimsaphin.com. Also, before I leave Ms Birdsong for this time around, thanks to Steve Weaver, here’s a link to her 1987 performance at The Hippodrome, London. And wasn’t a certain Ms Ross in the theatre? Oh yes, I believe she was! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJst_pizjUU

Staying with Steve a little while longer, he sent me the link to watch the video of “Dance With My Father” sung my Scherrie Payne and her daughter Shoshana [[it’s taken from the forthcoming “Supremely Yours II CD). The song is beautifully constructed, and the ladies do such a blinding job – really lovely. Then I glanced at the couple of comments. The first said he wished Steve could convince the much beloved Cindy Birdsong to do something with him. Whereupon Steve replied that he had everything ready for her to be a part of the project. Had chosen a song specifically for her, and was standing in Shoshana’s vocal studio with both Cindy and Scherrie, when out of the blue Cindy’s religious manager exclaimed - “Cindy won’t be recording any secular music today.’ Scherrie and I were gutted. We had the contract and the payment for Cindy’s contribution right there – it didn’t happen.” By all means, check it out for yourself on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiW4cf6HDFM&feature=share&list=UUxKFZTHjR_TbjhkaIiWDJGg
Thank you guys!

And here’s to you Mr Robinson! It seems Smokey is having a bit of a clear out, or, to be more precise, he’s selling merchandise via his website – SmokeyRobinson.com. - that might interest his fans. Just scrolling through, there’s a 20 page book “Words – The Poetry of William ‘Smokey’ Robinson”, previously only available at his one man shows, at $25 a pop. Or, if you’re flush, for $1,000 you can purchase his custom made wine velvet suit and gabardine trousers to match, with gold buttons on the jacket. I’m assuming there’s more than one, aren’t you! Maybe, this will appeal - a set of b/w photographic prints dating back to 1968 at Bimbo’s in San Francisco. A limited edition, all signed by him, at $450 a go, and a 8x10 high quality portrait, signed, for $18. Although this strikes me as being an easy way for his fans to collect his memorabilia, I’m a little uneasy about him, and any artist for that matter, selling their autographs. Most Motown artists I’ve met, and that includes Smokey in the past, have graciously autographed books, record sleeves and so on. I’m wondering now, just how many items Martha Reeves has signed in her life, as I’ve been with her when fans have carried in what appears to be their entire record collection for her to autograph. And I’ve not seen her show any aggravation; quite the contrary because, if she has time, she’ll talk about them as she signs. Another artist who went through a phase of not signing anything was Diana Ross. In fact, I was told not to ask for her autograph when I interviewed her during the nineties. Well, I did – and she did: and with a smile too. I had taken with me a handful of her UK compilations to barter with her if need be, but it never came to that. I gave her the CDs anyway. More recently, didn’t Chris Clark sign a limited number of her single “Dream Or Cry” without increasing the selling price? I do accept that some people pester artists, athletes and so on for autographs then sell them to the highest bidder on the internet. But, I don’t think real fans should suffer because of a few. Or is it more than a minority? Mm - jury’s still out I guess.

Talking of Martha Reeves, she’s back in the UK next month. On 6th and 7th August, she’s at the Fringe Festival, Edinburgh; 9th at Welly’s, Hull, and 10th at The Ritz in Manchester. And as I’ve also mentioned Diana, she’s on the road now. Her touring schedule recently hit Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile, but next month she’s heading for North America for dates in California, New Jersey, Florida and Texas, among others, through to November. However, on 13 September, she will perform at CitySquare’s annual A Night To Remember, raising funds to fight poverty, at the AT&T Performing Arts Centre, Margot And Bill Winspear Opera House, Dallas. Tickets range from £125 to $75 a go. Then, on 2 November, another charity beckons because she’ll give a private performance at The Imperial Ballroom at the Hyatt Regency in Houston, celebrating the 17th annual gala which benefits the Houston Children’s Charity.

And on that note, am going to pour myself a large glass of wine, drink your good health, and take advantage of the cooling evening by sitting in the garden. So, til next time, keep the Motown faith.

ejluther
07-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the info - with all due respect to Cindy her memory of "Someday..." is the story I always heard about "love child" and that SWBT was expressly recorded to be Diana's first solo single....

marybrewster
07-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Well there you have it. All these years we were under the impression Cindy had finished her book and was just waiting for a publisher.

If Miss Birdsong hasn't started her book by now, there will be no book. Plain and simple. "Forthcoming" is just like the new Mary Wilson CD.

I question when this interview even took place. Jim Saphin is known for advertising any meeting he has with a former Supreme over the entire internet; it's been a year or two since he's posted anything with Cindy. Sadly, a lot can happen, like declining health, in a year or two.

I LOVE me some Cindy Birdsong [[is there anyone that doesn't?), but I'm just keeping things real.

milven
07-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info - with all due respect to Cindy her memory of "Someday..." is the story I always heard about "love child" and that SWBT was expressly recorded to be Diana's first solo single....

That's the part that stood out in the interview for me too. The other part that stood out is where she said “...the book is forthcoming, and when I get a chance to go away from here, I will get a chance to start writing. . I haven’t written them down yet but they’re in my mind, these new things."

Her book has been as forthcoming for almost as long as Mary's CD has been forthcoming and in this interview she says that she hasn't even put pen to paper.

Also, has it ever been determined what type of health problem Cindy is having? If it is memory related, she shouldn't attempt to write a book. I'd love to see a book by Cindy, but she is too nice to dish the dirt. It probably will be as un-revealing as Diana's Eye of The Sparrow.

luke
07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
From the article Cindy was recently in the studio with Scherrie.

blueskies
07-23-2013, 11:37 AM
The first said he wished Steve could convince the much beloved Cindy Birdsong to do something with him. Whereupon Steve replied that he had everything ready for her to be a part of the project. Had chosen a song specifically for her, and was standing in Shoshana’s vocal studio with both Cindy and Scherrie, when out of the blue Cindy’s religious manager exclaimed - “Cindy won’t be recording any secular music today.’ Scherrie and I were gutted. We had the contract and the payment for Cindy’s contribution right there – it didn’t happen

rod_rick
07-23-2013, 11:53 AM
The first said he wished Steve could convince the much beloved Cindy Birdsong to do something with him. Whereupon Steve replied that he had everything ready for her to be a part of the project. Had chosen a song specifically for her, and was standing in Shoshana’s vocal studio with both Cindy and Scherrie, when out of the blue Cindy’s religious manager exclaimed - “Cindy won’t be recording any secular music today.’ Scherrie and I were gutted. We had the contract and the payment for Cindy’s contribution right there – it didn’t happen

I may be wrong but if memory serve me correct, The FLOS laid their vocals down about a year ago. BTW The last time I contacted Jim, he hadn't spoken to Cindy in few months, so my thinking it's an old interview, unless it was just completed.

blueskies
07-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I may be wrong but if memory serve me correct, The FLOS laid their vocals down about a year ago. BTW The last time I contacted Jim, he hadn't spoken to Cindy in few months, so my thinking it's an old interview, unless it was just completed.
https://www.facebook.com/SupremelyYours2

REDHOT
07-23-2013, 01:26 PM
As fare as the book goes with Cindy,i'm sure that's not gonna happen,the reasons are,Cindy is not that kind of person,it's things she will never tell,and yes Former Ladies Of The Supremes tryed many times to help Cindy,you're right Blueskies,Cindy socall religious manger always step in and say,Cindy is not gonna do this,Cindy is not gonna do that,but this lady,Cindy's socall manger is not paying Cindy's bills,Former Ladies Of The Supremes were gonna replace Freedie Poole,with Cindy,and had started to work on Cindy's return,but at the last minute Cindy said no,Cindy was gonna get paid for singing on Scherrie Payne And Lynda Laurence Former Ladies Of The Supremes soon to be release cd,but that was also a no,i know many people have tryed to help Cindy,[[and has help her) it's really sad,no one is to blame,not even Cindy Birdsong,I REALLY LOVE CINDY,,i ask all people,who has love for Cindy,PLEASE STAY POSITIVE,PLEASE SHOW LOVE FOR CINDY,PLEASE

rod_rick
07-23-2013, 04:10 PM
As fare as the book goes with Cindy,i'm sure that's not gonna happen,the reasons are,Cindy is not that kind of person,it's things she will never tell,and yes Former Ladies Of The Supremes tryed many times to help Cindy,you're right Blueskies,Cindy socall religious manger always step in and say,Cindy is not gonna do this,Cindy is not gonna do that,but this lady,Cindy's socall manger is not paying Cindy's bills,Former Ladies Of The Supremes were gonna replace Freedie Poole,with Cindy,and had started to work on Cindy's return,but at the last minute Cindy said no,Cindy was gonna get paid for singing on Scherrie Payne And Lynda Laurence Former Ladies Of The Supremes soon to be release cd,but that was also a no,i know many people have tryed to help Cindy,[[and has help her) it's really sad,no one is to blame,not even Cindy Birdsong,I REALLY LOVE CINDY,,i ask all people,who has love for Cindy,PLEASE STAY POSITIVE,PLEASE SHOW LOVE FOR CINDY,PLEASE

I always wondered why Cindy didn't replace Jean or Freddi, now I know. I think that would have been a fantastic move on Scherrie and Lynda's part to have Cindy in their group. This religious manager sounds like she is so heavenly minded, that she is no earthly good. You would think that the Flo's were singing "BootyLicious" by Destiny's Child. Redhot, thanks for that bit of information. I will continue to keep Cindy in my prayers.

marv2
07-23-2013, 05:43 PM

Johnny Bristol recounted the same story about Some Day We'll Be Together, except that he said the Waters Sisters subbed for Mary and Cindy because they were out of town.

longtimefan
07-23-2013, 05:59 PM
What kind if a "manager" dies Cindy need or have?

No disrespect to Cindy in the least. I just don't understand.

BayouMotownMan
07-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Everybody needs to chill here, Cindy is in good spirits, is having what I'd call normal medical issues for a lady of 73, but some of these reports are inaccurate. She is in no immediate danger but, like many of Motown's alumni, her resources have run low. She needs our prayers and our support. I am happy and proud to say that I have sent money to lovely Cindy through another former Supreme and she was appreciative. A special fund is in the process of being set up to help Cindy with medical costs, living expenses, etc. From every paycheck, I send a little something to Cindy and some other loving fans have done the same.

Cindy Birdsong gave so much to the legacy of the Supremes...and got so little in return. For those of us who love her and can contribute, either thru the HAL Awards of through the fund being setup, please do so. I have nothing against the HAL awards, I just don't like the idea of the money going through a company. Not saying they are doing anything wrong, I just think that most, like me, feel better doing this through a venue which will be announced. Let's pray for Cindy and give her the respect she deserves. Innuendo here will only make matters worse. She is only one of a select few who officially was chosen, and blessed, to be a Supreme.

sophisticated_soul
07-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks for this info BayouMotownMan. Please keep us advised as to when this future venue for monetary gift is set up. I prefer not to go through HAL myself.

BayouMotownMan
07-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks for this info BayouMotownMan. Please keep us advised as to when this future venue for monetary gift is set up. I prefer not to go through HAL myself.

I'd say you can donate with confidence thru HAL Sophisticated, but I prefer to wait for the fund to start whereby Cindy gets the money directly to her through quicker means. Going through a company means deposits, check re-writes, bookkeeping issues, etc. I was just fortunate through my connections over the years that I was able to get the money directly to Cindy. The fund being established will do the same

sophisticated_soul
07-23-2013, 09:13 PM
It would be ideal if the fund could be done through a bank or credit union so funds go directly into an account Cindy can access directly with no middle person.

rod_rick
07-24-2013, 12:51 AM
I'd say you can donate with confidence thru HAL Sophisticated, but I prefer to wait for the fund to start whereby Cindy gets the money directly to her through quicker means. Going through a company means deposits, check re-writes, bookkeeping issues, etc. I was just fortunate through my connections over the years that I was able to get the money directly to Cindy. The fund being established will do the same

Rick Please keep us posted. I don't have much put I would like to send something to Cindy. She's given us so much joy and such a lovely lady. I met her on two occasions and she was so gracious, and at least I can give something for all of the bootleg tapes that I paid others for :)
Please post any information as soon as you get it. Thanks again for posting the information.

ejluther
07-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Johnny Bristol recounted the same story about Some Day We'll Be Together, except that he said the Waters Sisters subbed for Mary and Cindy because they were out of town.
But that doesn't quite fit with the tale that SWBT was intended to be the first Ross solo single until the last minute when Berry made it a DRATS record. Of course a lot of these stories contradict - memories are like that. In 20 Feet from Stardom Merry Clayton says she's also singing on SWBT so there you go...

marv2
07-24-2013, 08:12 AM
But that doesn't quite fit with the tale that SWBT was intended to be the first Ross solo single until the last minute when Berry made it a DRATS record. Of course a lot of these stories contradict - memories are like that. In 20 Feet from Stardom Merry Clayton says she's also singing on SWBT so there you go...

I agree. There is a whole other story that has the Blackberries also involved.

milven
07-24-2013, 09:16 AM
I agree. There is a whole other story that has the Blackberries also involved.

Hmmmmm! I also heard that the Andrews Sisters lent their voices to the project. :D:D

Although I now know that the Supremes were not part of the song, it will always remain my favorite Supremes song. In my mind, when I hear it, I picture Diana, Mary and Cindy singing it on TV.

marybrewster
07-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Didn't Cindy at one point work for the UCLA Medical Department? Certainly she must have paid ?

We all know that the Supremes didn't make the bazillions of dollars that everyone thinks they did. And Cindy only rode high with the group for a few years. Screw the fact she was a Supreme; Cindy is also a human being that has the same rights as everyone else. If hundrends of thousands of people can get free medical, free housing, free food.....so can she. As a US citizen, she is entitled. Screw pride, this is about survival.

BayouMotownMan
07-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Mary, Cindy does get her SSI. I don't think you realize how paltry that is. Paying rent, insurance deductible, transportation, etc, is costly. Cindy worked in a lab during the early 80s. In fact, if memory serves me, that's where she was when she did Motown 25. She hid her identity and worked as Cindy Hewlett

marv2
07-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Didn't Cindy at one point work for the UCLA Medical Department? Certainly she must have paid ? .

Yes, but that was many, many, many years ago in the early 80's.

rod_rick
07-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Mary, Cindy does get her SSI. I don't think you realize how paltry that is. Paying rent, insurance deductible, transportation, etc, is costly. Cindy worked in a lab during the early 80s. In fact, if memory serves me, that's where she was when she did Motown 25. She hid her identity and worked as Cindy Hewlett
Mary
Another thing to consider is depending on how much documented income you receive you may not qualify for many of the benefits you mentioned.

REDHOT
07-24-2013, 06:00 PM
BayouMotownMan did you just mention Cindy get's SSI? If this is true,some friend you are,how could you tell her personal business,and call yourself a friend,and also telling us here,you gave money to Cindy,and to make sure Cindy got it,you gave it to another supreme,that gave the money to her,i think is WRONG,WRONG,WRONG and again you call yourself a friend of Cindy's,maybe it's just me,i would NEVER tell any of my FRIENDS personal business,NEVER

BayouMotownMan
07-24-2013, 06:12 PM
RedHot, with few exceptions, Americans over 62 collect their SSI. I didn't give an amount. Go start trouble elsewhere

REDHOT
07-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Trouble?again you are telling Cindy's personal business,it's not for you to tell,you call yourself her friend,it's WRONG,WRONG,WRONG i'm finish with it.

marv2
07-24-2013, 06:28 PM
BayouMotownMan did you just mention Cindy get's SSI? If this is true,some friend you are,how could you tell her personal business,and call yourself a friend,and also telling us here,you gave money to Cindy,and to make sure Cindy got it,you gave it to another supreme,that gave the money to her,i think is WRONG,WRONG,WRONG and again you call yourself a friend of Cindy's,maybe it's just me,i would NEVER tell any of my FRIENDS personal business,NEVER

Most decent people wouldn't . I am sure Cindy would not appreciate this!

captainjames
07-24-2013, 07:08 PM
I am very concerned but I am also disturbed about this as well.

jobeterob
07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
What is SSI?

I thought it was like Canada Pension which even the Prime Minister and Jimmy Pattison qualify for.

But from the reaction here, it appears it must be more like "welfare" or the kind of assistance Florence Ballard must have got.

A few months back, I think it was Soul Sister who posted saying that so many fans assume their favorite singer has oodles of money stashed in several bank accounts, many cars and lots of houses. And often the truth is they don't own a house, could use a few good paying gigs, and are not well heeled.

This should not be a surprise to regular posters on SD.

Sadly, it is life. Dionne Warwick just went broke. Aretha Franklin has been chased by hundreds of creditors. The Jacksons were involved in hundreds of law suits and some of them went bankrupt. Mary Wilson lives in Las Vegas with her daughter. It is not all Rolls Royces and mansions and million dollar deals.

smark21
07-24-2013, 08:47 PM
SSI is a Federal government program for disability that a person must qualify for due to need. It’s a different program than Social Security, in which all retirees can receive if they pay into it during their working lives. Also if a spouse of a Social Security recipient can receive survivor’s benefits upon the passing of their spouse, even if they weren’t employed during their working lives. I get why RedHot is upset as to reveal that someone is on SSI in a public forum is a violation of privacy, unless Cindy Birdsong gave permission. Either that, or Bayou has the two programs confused.

BayouMotownMan
07-24-2013, 09:02 PM
In this country we pay Social Security taxes out of our salaries. This entitles every American to have some type of income from the government after the ages of 62 or 65, depending on their circumstances. This is NOT welfare, it is money paid. I am about 8 years from SSI...and I'm worried it will not be there.Now that being said, the amount of money a person receives is determined by the amount of money paid into that system as I understand it. Surely you all have heard of the challenges the government is having over keeping this system from going belly-up. It's on the news constantly. This is merely some renegade fans trying to stir something for the pleasure of doing it. Cindy Birdsong is a citizen of this country and is entitled to her SSI. However, as is the case of the elderly, you've heard people say it's not enough to live on. This whole thread is about Cindy and her current situation. If you want to contribute to help her do so through HAL or wait until the fund set up for Cindy is announced. Trying to discredit me over something this ridiculous I will not answer to again. It's about CINDY, not RICK. Fortunately several have already messaged me for information on helping this sweet lady. I doubt any of the troublemakers here will be among them

BayouMotownMan
07-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Thank you Smark, I indeed may have confused them. It's not something I have ever looked into.

sophisticated_soul
07-24-2013, 09:55 PM
There are three types of Social Security, SSN, SSD and SSI. SSN is what we are all entitled to apply for [[and which I currently recieve) at retirement age. What you recieve is based on your peak working years and length of employment. SSD is for folk who must retire early for disability [[physical or mental) but are not yet retirement age. What they recieve is again based on their peaking earning years and years of employment. If the amount falls below the basic Social Security rate they may recieve additional monies from SSI. SSI is primarily for people who either didn't work very much or not all and cannnot work at all now [[for reasons of physical or mental disability). The amounts for SSI are fairly standard and not very much.

marv2
07-24-2013, 10:35 PM
What is SSI?

I thought it was like Canada Pension which even the Prime Minister and Jimmy Pattison qualify for.

But from the reaction here, it appears it must be more like "welfare" or the kind of assistance Florence Ballard must have got.

A few months back, I think it was Soul Sister who posted saying that so many fans assume their favorite singer has oodles of money stashed in several bank accounts, many cars and lots of houses. And often the truth is they don't own a house, could use a few good paying gigs, and are not well heeled.

This should not be a surprise to regular posters on SD.

Sadly, it is life. Dionne Warwick just went broke. Aretha Franklin has been chased by hundreds of creditors. The Jacksons were involved in hundreds of law suits and some of them went bankrupt. Mary Wilson lives in Las Vegas with her daughter. It is not all Rolls Royces and mansions and million dollar deals.

Ok, I am now very tired of your continuous posting that Mary Wilson lives in Vegas with her daughter as if they were living together as paupers or something. First of all Mary's house would be classified as a "mansion" just about anywhere on Earth!

Secondly, there is certain thing called family traditions. I am sure you remember that Mary's mother, Johnnie Mae Wilson lived with Mary for a good portion of her latter years. What the Hell is wrong with that?

I seriously doubt that Dionne is broke or that Aretha has hundreds of creditors. Do you have strong enough nerves to discuss Diane openly?

milven
07-24-2013, 10:52 PM
... there is certain thing called family traditions. I am sure you remember that Mary's mother, Johnnie Mae Wilson lived with Mary for a good portion of her latter years. What the Hell is wrong with that?

I seriously doubt that Dionne is broke or that Aretha has hundreds of creditors. ..

Well Johnnie Mae probably needed financial help from Mary and it is to Mary's credit that she provided for her mom. But I don't think that you are saying that Mary is now in that position. I know some families that have three generations living under one roof. But they do it because of financial need.

You know a lot about Mary. Is the home in Vegas really her daughter's as many say, or is it Mary's home and she is providing for her family?

REDHOT
07-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Come on guys,STOP IT LOL

marv2
07-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Well Johnnie Mae probably needed financial help from Mary and it is to Mary's credit that she provided for her mom. But I don't think that you are saying that Mary is now in that position. I know some families that have three generations living under one roof. But they do it because of financial need.

You know a lot about Mary. Is the home in Vegas really her daughter's as many say, or is it Mary's home and she is providing for her family?

What I am saying, is what I wrote! Read it again if you could not understand it the first time.....!!

jobeterob
07-25-2013, 02:29 AM
What I am saying, is what I wrote! Read it again if you could not understand it the first time.....!!

LOL, what it means is he is afraid of the truth.

marv2
07-25-2013, 02:32 AM
LOL, what it means is he is afraid of the truth.

What it means is that even Cindy Birdsong thinks you're stupid!

milven
07-25-2013, 08:06 AM

Even with my limited education – after all, I am only a high school graduate – I fully understood what you wrote. So I suppose that if someone has a conversation with you in person and they ask you a question to either clarify or carry the conversation further, you would reply “What I said is what I said ! “ And then you would call them stupid. I don’t think I would have any friends if I acted like that.

I paid you a compliment by stating that you seem to know a lot about Mary and then asked you if Mary lives in her daughter’s house - as I keep reading here – or if her daughter lives in Mary’s house; but, you just dismissed the question and told me to read it again.

And please don’t reply to my question by calling me stupid. In the past five days, you have called five people stupid. [[You did it again a few posts up). To many people, that is the most offensive term to call someone. I asked the question because I am ignorant on the subject and asked you to share your knowledge on the subject. There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.

While I would not call your decision not to share your knowledge with someone who asks you a question an act of stupidity; it is, at the least, not an act of kindness.

What it means is that even Cindy Birdsong thinks you're stupid!

marybrewster
07-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi BayouMotownMan-

By reading your posts, I am under the impression that you have some sot of relationship with Miss Cindy, outside of a casual fan. I'm wondering if anyone has ever talked to her about selling her autograph, much like Smokey Robinson does on his website. I would guess a nice Supremes era photo, with signature, could fetch $10 - $15? I know there are several of us here on SDF [[and elsewhere, myself included), that would love to purchase one, and in the process, help Cindy financially. Being a Christian woman, Cindy must surely know that the Lord helps those who help themselves. Also, by being proactive and fending for herself, it wouldn't come across as "charity".....just a thought.....

jobeterob
07-25-2013, 11:18 AM
From Mary herself, and only for Marv:

Mary Wilson: No. Florence never had a personal relationship with Berry.

My daughter is doing very well; she and her husband have three children and I live with them. Florence's daughters are doing very well considering they had to grow up without their mom or dad and were raised by their family. They all call Diane and I, Auntie Mary and Auntie Diane.

BayouMotownMan
07-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Thank you Jobeterob. His response to this should be worth another laugh

BayouMotownMan
07-25-2013, 11:30 AM
I will pass that idea along Marybrewster, it is certainly a good one. My objective with the initial post I made was to merely get a gauge on how many fans were truly interested in contributing to assist her. From there of course, it was taken in a different direction

johnjeb
07-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Many people confuse Social Security, an earned benefit program based on an individual's wage history, with Supplemental Security Income [[SSI) an assistance program for which an individual must qualify based on need. SSDI is different and also need based.

As part of my job I often ask people if they receive SSI. Many senior citizens will say yes. When I clarify that SSI is not Social Security they then answer that they do not receive SSI.

Cindy may have mistakingly told someone that she was receiving SSI when she meant to say Social Security.

I do not know this for sure but if Cindy is receiving SSI then she may have to declare any extra "income" received, similar to what is expected of someone who is receiving unemployment compensation. If she is receiving Social Security then that is hers rightfully earned during her career.

I am no expert but thought that this might clarify it for some. If I have provided incorrect information I hope someone can correct.

Each time I become confused with a topic, such as this, I just take comfort by reminding myself that at least I know the difference between a Vandella and a Marvelette!

marybrewster
07-25-2013, 12:55 PM
You're welcome BMM. I think everyone will agree on one thing: Cindy is one of the most beloved of all Supremes. If I could help, I certainly would.

BayouMotownMan
07-25-2013, 12:56 PM
No it was I johnjeb that misclarified SS with SSI, I didn't know the difference.

Every American is entitled to SS as most everyone pays into it. Diana Ross is a wealthy woman, but she is entitled to hers as well. Many people in Diana's position donate their monthly endowment to charities. I'm not saying this is the case, but I have heard this from people I have spoken to on this matter. Some people really don't need it, but if they don't use it...well now I wonder what happens in this instance. LOL

BayouMotownMan
07-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Just saying a prayer is helpful Marybrewster

REDHOT
07-25-2013, 04:03 PM
I know what you are trying to do,and you know who i'm talking to,but i'm just gonna leave it alone lol,Come on,maybe Mary said it,in some interview,but i know 100%,Mary own's her house in Vegas,who live's with her,i don't know,and don't care,Mary works all the time,it is good she has someone living with her[[if she does),she works all the time,touring,never home,back to Cindy Birdsong, LOVE Cindy on the TOUCH album cover.

Penny
07-25-2013, 04:27 PM
I know what you are trying to do,and you know who i'm talking to,but i'm just gonna leave it alone lol,Come on,maybe Mary said it,in some interview,but i know 100%,Mary own's her house in Vegas,who live's with her,i don't know,and don't care,Mary works all the time,it is good she has someone living with her[[if she does),she works all the time,touring,never home,back to Cindy Birdsong, LOVE Cindy on the TOUCH album cover.

Please Stay Positive!

Penny:cool:

REDHOT
07-25-2013, 04:41 PM
LOL That's right,PLEASE STAY POSITIVE

marv2
07-25-2013, 05:37 PM
From Mary herself, and only for Marv:

Mary Wilson: No. Florence never had a personal relationship with Berry.

My daughter is doing very well; she and her husband have three children and I live with them. Florence's daughters are doing very well considering they had to grow up without their mom or dad and were raised by their family. They all call Diane and I, Auntie Mary and Auntie Diane.

For Jobeterob,

You don't know what the freak you are talking about as usual. Mary Wilson had that house built! She spend tons on renovations once she had it built near that golf course! That house/mansion is hers! Yeah Kessa, big dude, Mia -Marie, Marc Anthony and the baby lived with HER! She is selling it because Kessa and the kids are moving out.

Flo's kids is another story for another time.

REDHOT
07-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Marv is right,Mary had her house built from the bottom to the top,she's trying to sell it,i do know that,that house would too big for a single person,when she sell's the house,i hope Mary move's back to Los Angeles,that where most of her friends live,Please stay positive

marv2
07-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Redhot, I know what he was trying to do too and it never works with me which is why he hates me.
I also know that Mary owns that HUGE house [[10,000 sq. ft.). She owns other properties as well.

Yes Cindy looked gorgeous on the "Touch" album cover.

marv2
07-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Marv is right,Mary had her house built from the bottom to the top,she's trying to sell it,i do know that,that house would too big for a single person,when she sell's the house,i hope Mary move's back to Los Angeles,that where most of her friends live,Please stay positive

That's right and thank you Redhot! That house is a mini mansion! I hope she moves back to New York![[wink, wink...LOL!) Yes by all means, Please Stay Positive [[and always tell the truth!)

blueskies
07-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Yes Cindy looked gorgeous on the "Touch" album cover. I know a little off topic, but, they ALL looked gorgeous! My very favorite album cover!

jobeterob
07-26-2013, 01:14 AM
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19990216&id=ZNFOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3x8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=5715,11153

There's a little newspaper tidbit on Aretha Franklin and the million dollars in lawsuits totalling $1 million.

REDHOT
07-26-2013, 02:52 AM
Cindy,the topic is about Cindy Birdsong,i agree Blueskies,when i first met The Supremes Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong and Jean Terrell,one thing i notice was how BEAUTIFUL Cindy was,always super nice to the fans,Please stay positive

jobeterob
07-26-2013, 11:24 AM
When you live with someone at their home, you say you live with them. That is what Mary Wilson said. When they live with you at your home, you say "they live with me". Mary did not say that. Perhaps a poor choice of words, but they were hers.

Some people can't cope with the idea. Just like they couldn't cope with the words about Stop in the Name of Love: "the next day, it was rerecorded by the Andantes, who got the release": from the Complete Singles, Diana Ross and the Supremes.

But rationalizing is necessary for some people and if it gets you through the night, you gotta do it.

BayouMotownMan
07-26-2013, 11:40 AM
To me the question is simple. If you say Mary Wilson lives in a mini-mansion, then has the person actually seen it?

blueskies
07-26-2013, 02:32 PM
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/mary-wilsons-house/

BayouMotownMan
07-26-2013, 03:16 PM
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/mary-wilsons-house/

Wow, I had no idea that Mary lived that unprotected. Very nice home whomever is the owner

REDHOT
07-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Thanks Blueskies,for setting the record straight,these people with they're cheap tricks lol,and they know who i'm talking about,i'm gonna stay positive,back to the topic,Cindy Birdsong,Cindy was the person that told me,as far as The Supremes go,you can't change history,Cindy was point on,LOVE HER

jobeterob
07-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Here is the blurb that goes with the picture:

The singer, best known as a member of the Motown soul and pop group "The Supremes", lives here at the Anthem Country Club. She was the only Supreme who remained in the group from the time it was formed in 1959, as "The Primettes", until the very end, when the group was disbanded in 1977. She purchased the 6-bed, 5.5-bath, 7,291 sq ft home in November of 2002 for approx. $904K, according to public records.

So perhaps she does own it. Would be interesting to know the assessed value today because that was a very hard hit market in the downturn.

blueskies
07-26-2013, 06:58 PM

The singer, best known as a member of the Motown soul and pop group "The Supremes", lives here at the Anthem Country Club. She was the only Supreme who remained in the group from the time it was formed in 1959, as "The Primettes", until the very end, when the group was disbanded in 1977. She purchased the 6-bed, 5.5-bath, 7,291 sq ft home in November of 2002 for approx. $904K, according to public records.

So perhaps she does own it. Would be interesting to know the assessed value today because that was a very hard hit market in the downturn.

http://www.greatlasvegashomes.com/anthem-country-club.php

marv2
07-26-2013, 09:29 PM

That house has been expanded. She had a MAJOR renovation done since then. It is much closer to 10,000 sq. ft. now. You are talking about 11 years ago when Mary first left New York for Nevada.
Ain't no perhaps. We had already told you the other day that she owned that house! You seem to have a problem with that for some reason. She was going to buy this 3.4 million brownstone in Harlem before she made the decision to move from NY .

rod_rick
07-26-2013, 11:01 PM

How did we get on Mary's house when this thread is about Cindy Birdsong?

marv2
07-27-2013, 12:31 AM
How did we get on Mary's house when this thread is about Cindy Birdsong?

When Jobeterob posted what he did in post #33 here.