PDA

View Full Version : Neglected 45's

test

wonder_woman
07-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Clarence May - Come What May [[1985)
Lonne Givens - Dreams [[2005)
Royce Javan - "What's your Situation" [[1986)
First Class - Coming Back to You [[1977)
Bobby Story - Right Place/Wrong Time [[1982)
Theryl - Open Up Your Heart [[1988)
Charles Johnson - Good Good Lovin' [[1980)
Willie Clayton - Running In & Out Of My Life
War - The World Is A Ghetto [[1972)
Freddie north - She's All I Got
Al Wilson - Show & Tell [[1973)
Spanky Wilson - Don't Joke With The Hungry Man

Kamasu_Jr
07-17-2013, 07:03 PM
What do you mean by neglected? At least four of the records you listed did well nationally and regionally in the U; War, Willie Clayton, Freddie North and Al Wilson all charted high.

soulster
07-17-2013, 08:55 PM
War - The World Is A Ghetto [[1972)
Al Wilson - Show & Tell [[1973)

Since when were these two singles ever neglected? They are stone-cold classics.

arrr&bee
07-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Alone with no love[the contemplations]...only a fool[clyde mcphatter]...i'm still waiting[patti labelle and the blubelles]...never could you be[the impressions]...i'm not in love[dee dee sharp].

wonder_woman
07-18-2013, 05:43 PM
neglected because I haven't played these wonderful 45 singles for several years, just been buried in a big pile of 45's on my book-shelf, had time to dig them out and play these gems and decided to give them a mention, I loved hearing Theryl & Spanky Wilson again.

soulster
07-18-2013, 06:34 PM
neglected because I haven't played these wonderful 45 singles for several years, just been buried in a big pile of 45's on my book-shelf, had time to dig them out and play these gems and decided to give them a mention, I loved hearing Theryl & Spanky Wilson again.

Okie-dokie: they are your forgotten singles. That's clearer.

Honestly, I'm such a collector that I don't think I ca come up with anything i've forgotten about, but I could come up with a list of songs I think the majority of people have forgotten about.

robb_k
07-20-2013, 02:51 AM
Show and Tell by Al Wilson has been played a lot on Oldies radio stations over the last many years. I wouldn't say it's been forgotten.

daddyacey
07-22-2013, 01:55 AM
As collectors and fans of the music and or genre if based on radio air play as a point of reference and based on region some of these are indeed neglected and in some cases unknown to some people. So called classic soul radio in this day ,auto programmed by P.D.'s that have no true real knowledge of the history of the music other than "charts" as a reference source and being "wet in the earhole" because they are 30 years old or younger ,have no clue of these being in existense. Other than Al Wilson - Show & Tell [[1973) and War - The World Is A Ghetto [[1972), I'm not familiar with the other tracks listed. First Class was a regional [[N.Y. N.J. Philly) group way back in the 70's. Not even a lot of DJ's in the so called Disco era know that they did the original "Turn The Beat Around" before Vicky Robinson. That's the reason that forums like these are so great ,because you learn something new every day. 45's fall into this because if they were not national releases less people know of them. For example the classic "Ready Made Family" by Creative Funk , "Funky 4 Corners" by Willie and the Magnificents and others from the N.Y N.J and Philly region.

Just curious ,wonder_woman what region are you from?

roger
07-22-2013, 05:02 AM
As collectors and fans of the music and or genre if based on radio air play as a point of reference and based on region some of these are indeed neglected and in some cases unknown to some people. So called classic soul radio in this day ,auto programmed by P.D.'s that have no true real knowledge of the history of the music other than "charts" as a reference source and being "wet in the earhole" because they are 30 years old or younger ,have no clue of these being in existense. Other than Al Wilson - Show & Tell [[1973) and War - The World Is A Ghetto [[1972), I'm not familiar with the other tracks listed. First Class was a regional [[N.Y. N.J. Philly) group way back in the 70's. Not even a lot of DJ's in the so called Disco era know that they did the original "Turn The Beat Around" before Vicky Robinson. That's the reason that forums like these are so great ,because you learn something new every day. 45's fall into this because if they were not national releases less people know of them. For example the classic "Ready Made Family" by Creative Funk , "Funky 4 Corners" by Willie and the Magnificents and others from the N.Y N.J and Philly region.

Just curious ,wonder_woman what region are you from?

Interesting post there Daddyacey, and I for one didn't realise that "Turn The Beat Around" was first done by FIRST CLASS. :)

Here in Britain we have some incredibly dreary "Pop Oldies" radio stations that have playlists based on Chart hits and where "lesser" hits get totally neglected. I think these stations are aimed at people with fading memory as frequently the announcers say things like "do you remember where you were when you last heard this?" when the reality is that they played it the previous day. Or maybe it is the announcers themselves who are losing their marbles. :)

What makes it even worse is that these stations back up their programming formats with "Market Researchers" who go out on the streets and ask people what they like to listen to. In such circumstances most people are just going to reel off a list of the same old big hits, the researchers don't seem to be able to cope with people who say they want to hear something they haven't heard in ages.

A handful of U.K radio stations have three or four hours a week devoted to "Soul Oldies" programs. These are usually presented by enthusiasts, so seldom suffer from this.

However with the "Soul Oldies" programs we have another phenomenon, in that sometimes the presenters of these shows are so keen to play some obscure treasure that they overlook records that were HUGE in their day, presumably on the basis that they are "Too obvious".

For example .. I don't think I've heard any of the following 3 records played on British radio in at least the past 30 years, even though they all made the U.K. Top 10 ...

ROY "C" - "Shotgun Wedding"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLo5kngQBbM

SHOWSTOPPERS - "Ain't Nothing But A Houseparty"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvrAce0fK4Q

HAMILTON BOHANNON - "Disco Stomp"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3tuJ4qFmxY

Roger

Incidentally Daccyacey FIRST CLASS had one 45 issued in Britain back in the day .. "Me And My Gemini" on All Platinum, though the record company had to change their name to BALTIMORE FIRST CLASS as there was a successful "Pop" act with the same name back then.

soulster
07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Thing of it is, soul music, until the late 70s, was always regional. I have also never heard of most of the songs on that list, and i'm here in the U.S..

Sotosound
07-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Interesting post there Daddyacey, and I for one didn't realise that "Turn The Beat Around" was first done by FIRST CLASS. :)

Here in Britain we have some incredibly dreary "Pop Oldies" radio stations that have playlists based on Chart hits and where "lesser" hits get totally neglected. I think these stations are aimed at people with fading memory as frequently the announcers say things like "do you remember where you were when you last heard this?" when the reality is that they played it the previous day. Or maybe it is the announcers themselves who are losing their marbles. :)

What makes it even worse is that these stations back up their programming formats with "Market Researchers" who go out on the streets and ask people what they like to listen to. In such circumstances most people are just going to reel off a list of the same old big hits, the researchers don't seem to be able to cope with people who say they want to hear something they haven't heard in ages.

A handful of U.K radio stations have three or four hours a week devoted to "Soul Oldies" programs. These are usually presented by enthusiasts, so seldom suffer from this.

However with the "Soul Oldies" programs we have another phenomenon, in that sometimes the presenters of these shows are so keen to play some obscure treasure that they overlook records that were HUGE in their day, presumably on the basis that they are "Too obvious".

For example .. I don't think I've heard any of the following 3 records played on British radio in at least the past 30 years, even though they all made the U.K. Top 10 ...

ROY "C" - "Shotgun Wedding"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLo5kngQBbM

SHOWSTOPPERS - "Ain't Nothing But A Houseparty"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvrAce0fK4Q

HAMILTON BOHANNON - "Disco Stomp"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3tuJ4qFmxY

Roger

Incidentally Daccyacey FIRST CLASS had one 45 issued in Britain back in the day .. "Me And My Gemini" on All Platinum, though the record company had to change their name to BALTIMORE FIRST CLASS as there was a successful "Pop" act with the same name back then.

Agree about "Shotgun Wedding". That was so popular that we made it a hit twice in the UK, with a re-issue in the 70s on UK Records. Fabulous track with a wry sense of humour. Sadly, it doesn't seem to appear on UK 60s or 70s or soul CD compilations ever.

Agree about "Disco Stomp" as well. Great track and love the "Noooo Yooooork City" bit towards the end. This doesn't seem to turn up on UK CD compilations either.

As for "Ain't Nothing But A Houseparty", it doesn't get much airplay but it does appear on loads of 60s pop and 60s soul collections, probably because it's cheap to licence, being a one-off hit. Great track, however. [[Hello Roger St Pierre)

As for really neglected 45s, I'd love to hear someone play "Soul Mate" by Good Bread Alley or "Breakin' Down [[Sugar Samba)" by Julia and Company. "Soul Mate" is really an off-beat one-off track but "Breakin' Down" is just hot, hot, hot.

daddyacey
07-23-2013, 03:26 PM
"{First Class was a regional [[N.Y. N.J. Philly) group way back in the 70's. Not even a lot of DJ's in the so called Disco era know that they did the original "Turn The Beat Around" before Vicky Robinson."}

I'm sorry but I have to correct that statement. The group that made "Turn The Beat Around" first was "Touch Of Class". I went and checked the LP's I had for both groups and found my error. "Touch Of Class" was a group that was on the Roadshow label in 1979.

roger
07-23-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm sorry but I have to correct that statement. The group that made "Turn The Beat Around" first was "Touch Of Class". I went and checked the LP's I had for both groups and found my error. "Touch Of Class" was a group that was on the Roadshow label in 1979.

Aha TOUCH OF CLASS .. now this is one neglected 45 ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNrXYed3O7w

Roger

daddyacey
07-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Wow....that's from 76 , it was recorded at Sigma in Philly.

roger
07-24-2013, 03:44 AM
Wow....that's from 76 , it was recorded at Sigma in Philly.

Actually "I'm In Heaven" is from the tail end of 1975. It even got a release in the U.K. on Midland International [[distributed by R.C.A.), it got some airplay as well. AND there was an "I'm In Heaven" L.P. which is well worth tracking down.

However .. the full length version of "I'm In Heaven" did appear on a C.D. called "Disco Discharge, Diggin Deeper" a couple of years back ..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003905M4W?tag=berniesdiscomusi&camp=15309&creative=331469&linkCode=st1&creativeASIN=B003905M4W&adid=00PYZAVMQRKHEBZ0VXNW&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.discomusic.com%2Fcds-more%2F14674_0_3_0_C%2F

Incidentally I think that video on you-tube is them lip-synching over the record some 20 years later.

TOUCH OF CLASS also did a remake of this neglected 45 on that first L.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foCTnnLMHvc

Roger