PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross in Chile

test

jobeterob
07-13-2013, 12:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVBQQy-HOZg

Methuselah2
07-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Oh, my! What a great concert video! Many thanks, Jobeterob. Ross has the same excitement, force, and effect that she showed the world over 50 years ago.

Jaap
07-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Are the background singers doing Kirk Franklin's Smile [[around 17 minutes)? Or is it another song? It also sound familiar to that song "When You Smile" that she did at the Royal Albert Hall in 1973...

jobeterob
07-13-2013, 12:13 PM
I wondered what the song was as well.

floyjoy678
07-13-2013, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ylNQFX5kDA

And here is Miss Ross doing an oldie but goodie "Come See About Me".

Jimi LaLumia
07-13-2013, 01:56 PM
"Ease on Down The Road"???...yikes..how often does she do THAT???

smark21
07-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Ease on Down the Road has been a pretty regular part of her set list since the I Love You tour in 2007.

Jimi LaLumia
07-13-2013, 05:41 PM
I saw her at Radio City Music Hall a few years back, that was not part of the program...

Methuselah2
07-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Regarding the song in question:

If my memory is serving me, I believe Ross included Chaplin's SMILE in her setlist when I saw her in 2011. What you're hearing in the Chile video I think is the ending riff that the number goes into--Kirk Franklin's song or When You Smile that Jaap mentioned. But I'm not positive.

LuvHangOva
07-13-2013, 05:52 PM
I saw her at Radio City Music Hall a few years back, that was not part of the program.... I saw several shows during the "More Today Than Yesterday" tour. Just like you Jimi , I was aghast that it was included each time.

skooldem1
07-13-2013, 06:19 PM
"Ease on down the road" was/is a great addition to her set list. It adds some funk to the show. For many African Americans, the movie "The Wiz" is a classic, so to see her sing this song live is a real treat. To me this is one of the better additions to her show that she has made.

1382hitsville
07-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Skooldem, I agree. Last time Diana did a concert in the Netherlands [[2009) it was a great pleasure to hear this song.

Here is a short clip from it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWkzXcLx-1k

ejluther
07-14-2013, 02:17 PM
I was aghast that it was included each time. Why on earth would you be "aghast"?

Jimi LaLumia
07-14-2013, 02:20 PM
i don't hate it, I just thought that she had 'walked away' from 'The Wiz' a long time ago... was it a hit in Chile?

LuvHangOva
07-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Why on earth would you be "aghast"?

Okay okay... Maybe I shoulda said I'm aghast at where they have chosen to place "Ease On Down The Road" within the current concert set list. I'm not aghast that Diana has started doing the song. My issue is the placement not the merits of the song.. It's not my favorite song by her but neither is "it's My House" or "I Will Survive"... But that's no big deal. I realize she probably includes it because her show tries to include highlights from each phase of her career. The Wiz is important to the "Ross Legend". I get it. It's also probably included because they wanted another uptempo song to give the show some energy. I get it. .... HOWEVER ......it always startles me because it's done in a medley with "Take Me Higher.". Other than the fact that they're both up tempo I can't figure out what they have in common. It always seems like an abrupt transition....musically the two songs don't flow together very well [[to me) When she did it during the " i Love You" tour it was NOT stuck in a medley with "Take Me Higher" and i dont remember thinking anything was odd about it. I think it's more about the placement of it in this tour that seems odd to me... It's not the song itself. But, hey it's not the end of the world for me. I've seen Diana in concert countless times and will continue to. The lady is my hero and a major source of inspiration for me.

JohnnyB
07-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Are the background singers doing Kirk Franklin's Smile [[around 17 minutes)? Or is it another song? It also sound familiar to that song "When You Smile" that she did at the Royal Albert Hall in 1973...
Yes, that is Kirk Franklin's Smile. Diana added this song to her show in January. She invited local choirs to perform this song at various US tour dates earlier this year. The choirs remained on stage and sang Ain't No Mountain and Reach Out And Touch as well. A nice addition and she really seemed to enjoy the message of the song.

Jaap
07-15-2013, 03:16 AM
Yes, that is Kirk Franklin's Smile. Diana added this song to her show in January. She invited local choirs to perform this song at various US tour dates earlier this year. The choirs remained on stage and sang Ain't No Mountain and Reach Out And Touch as well. A nice addition and she really seemed to enjoy the message of the song.

Yes, it seems to fit the show quite well... [[and interesting Mahogany moment with that cape)... Thanks for confirming...

jobeterob
07-16-2013, 02:25 AM
So there is a little bit new in each show.