PDA

View Full Version : Black Ivory - Don't Turn Around

test

no_place_like_motown
07-12-2013, 06:31 AM
I'm a huge fan of sweet soul, in particular the years 1965-1974. I have many fond memories of so many great s.s. songs.

Here's one of my favs from Black Ivory: "Don't Turn Around" from 1971

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxLAcKUqMrA

splanky
07-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I knew those cats , no place. I grew up with them in my neighborhood. The lead, Leroy Burgess lived in my building, he and his sister Renee who sometimes sang background
on their releases. I have a lot of fond and some crazy memories of those times...

no_place_like_motown
07-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Hey Splanky did you ever get to hang out with them? I bet they had stories like many of their peers in the music biz. I remember hearing that BI would get into beef with other groups at times. Not sure if that's true or not.

I was definitley a fan of their music and it would be cool to create a thread with some of my favs by them at some point. Some other great songs that come to mind are "Will We Ever Come Together" and "You And I [[Have An Understanding)." I used to play those 45's to death!!

splanky
07-13-2013, 10:12 AM
no place, They were older than me and my crew. We were the kids in the 'hood they poked
fun at or sent on errands. We sometimes dissed them to each other with "Yea, they got
some hits but they ain't the Temptations." When I got older Leroy would chill for bit with
my boys , get a little buzz but he didn't care for our obcession with Funkadelic. Funny , many
years later, long after they'd disbanded I remembered Leroy becoming fixed on Prince. I
remember hearing him playing Scandalous from Prince's Batman soundtrack over and over
and over again. People could hear it in the streets pouring out of his apartment window.
It was kinda weird seeing somebody out and about and having their 45's upstairs in your
record collection , liking it so much but never telling them because you know they already
know! LOL!!! That was Leroy...

splanky
07-13-2013, 10:19 AM
BTW, you have good taste because I've always thought of this as Leroy, Stuart and Russell's
masterpiece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAYNof-NqwM

no_place_like_motown
07-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks for sharing your memories about Leroy & BI, Splanky. It's funny how he didn't care for Funkadelic but get's hooked on Prince, who can be funky as hell, although "Scandalous" could probably fall under the category of "bedroom classic" - that's one hot song!

Yeah, "Will We Ever Come Together" once I start playing that song I'm fixated - I just wanna hear it over and over.

Kamasu_Jr
07-22-2013, 04:43 PM
They have a current album Continuum.

daddyacey
07-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Leroy Burgess.........is BAD-ASS. He has written and or produced some of the greatest music of the 70's-80's. I have always said that his style of piano playing and arrangements have the sound of a Broadway Musical drenched in Funk.
"Fly Girl" , "Over Like A Fat Rat" ,"Weekend" ,"Let's Do It , "Get Down Friday Night" , .........all of those have amazing keyboard parts that just...flow.

I'm gonna play me some Leroy right now while it's early in the evening cause ,It gets kinda loud round here when I get into his groove.

daddyacey
07-23-2013, 01:52 AM
BTW, you have good taste because I've always thought of this as Leroy, Stuart and Russell's
masterpiece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAYNof-NqwM

Yes thats true but I wonder how it would have sounded if they did the arrangement instead of Patrick Adams. After Leroy left the group and hooked up with the Aleems and Sonny Davenport and James Calloway , you could hear the influence from working with Patrick , ,,,,Leroy took it to another distinct level. The team of Burgess ,Davenport and Calloway are one of the most important writing /production and performing teams of the last 40 years.

daddyacey
08-20-2013, 02:38 AM
I just bought a CD of Leroy's ,LOGG project on SALSOUL. I have been trying to replace a lost vinyl copy for years and the last CD release was years ago ,and long out of print from CHARLY. I knew Jose Rodriguez [[R.I.P) ,who mastered the original vinyl release and he had said that he took a good while to master it because there was so much going on in the stereo masters. This new release is remastered from the original stereo master tapes and has the 12" versions also. Great sound and a nice booklet and package reissued by Big Break Records [[CDBBR0235). See ImportCD.com. I highly recommend this CD for new and old L.B. fans.

no_place_like_motown
08-20-2013, 08:36 AM
It's a nice CD. "I Know You Will" and "You've Got That Something" were spun in the NYC clubs and bring back some cool memories of hangin' out with the crew 'til the wee hours of the morning!

I also own "Leroy Burgess Anthology, Vol I: The Voice" and "Vol. 2: The Producer" which may be worth checking out for those who enjoy late 70's/early 80's club tunes.

daddyacey
08-24-2013, 12:09 AM
It's a nice CD. "I Know You Will" and "You've Got That Something" were spun in the NYC clubs and bring back some cool memories of hangin' out with the crew 'til the wee hours of the morning!

I also own "Leroy Burgess Anthology, Vol I: The Voice" and "Vol. 2: The Producer" which may be worth checking out for those who enjoy late 70's/early 80's club tunes.

And also.... "LEROY BURGESS..throw back: harlem 79-83 , CD SBPJ 34 , released by PASSION MUSIC , 2007 , an U.K. import.