PDA

View Full Version : ANTHOLOGY - the VINYL ALBUMS

test

Kamasu_Jr
07-07-2013, 09:55 PM
The series first appeared around 1973, some of the first volumes had illustrated booklets while later sets did not. I've seen Stevie Wonders with both titles Looking Back and Anthology. The Anthology had a booklet. I assume this version is a bit more collectable.?

reese
07-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I would think that Stevie's ANTHOLOGY is more collectable, as it was supposedly withdrawn upon Stevie's orders after 200,000 copies had already been printed. I snagged one a couple of years ago. I was struck by how it is exactly the same as the LOOKING BACK collection, except for the latter having no booklet. I don't get the point of the withdrawal.

mickeymac
07-08-2013, 02:39 PM
I have the LOOKING BACK copy, never even seen the ANTHOLOGY. Those Motown Anthologies are great. If you see them, grab them. I have them all except the Michael Jackson, Grover Washington and the Commodores. Lots of Michael's solo stuff is on the J5 Anthology. Not really a big fan of the Commodores and Grover, but thats just me.

soulster
07-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I have the LOOKING BACK copy, never even seen the ANTHOLOGY. Those Motown Anthologies are great. If you see them, grab them. I have them all except the Michael Jackson, Grover Washington and the Commodores. Lots of Michael's solo stuff is on the J5 Anthology. Not really a big fan of the Commodores and Grover, but thats just me. I think Kam is talking about the vinyl originals, not the CDs.

booty
07-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Grover Washington Jr.'s "Anthology" came out in 1981 on Motown 961. The Commodores 2LP set, "Anthology" appeared in 1984 on Motown 6044ML2, and Michael Jackson's "Anthology" was a single album on Motown 5402 [[Mid-Price series) around 1992.

masterblaster
07-10-2013, 06:53 AM
I bought The Undisputed Truth Anthology many years ago. It was a French pressing and I donm't think issued in the USA but I may be wrong.

Ngroove
07-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Only vinyl anthology I own myself, is Gladys Knight & the Pips - listening to it now - incredibly scratched up, poppy, skippy some places, overall sounds more like AM radio quality than FM, assumably and understandably due to wear and age. Otherwise, have also seen Temptations / Four Tops / Smokey Robinson & the Miracles' "From the Beginning" / Supremes Greatest Hits / Diana Ross / Stevie Wonder's "Looking Back" in secondhand stores, flea markets, ect, but sorry, am willing to buy some anthologies of all-time favorites, but only in CD form, which is crisper in sound, just ordered a Marvin Gaye [[1986) a few days ago. I have bought a few "Greatest Hits" in vinyl before, but I mostly got my turntable primarily to own and play actual albums of origination; just found an actual "Diana Ross Presents the Jackson Five" album not so long ago: woo-hoo.

soulster
07-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I owned The Temptations 3-LP anthology on the proper Motown label. It was pressed by RCA because it was on Dynaflex. I wasn't happy that it was virtually all stereo. It wasn't until 1995 that I was able to own most of the mono singles on CD.

mickeymac
07-10-2013, 05:17 PM
I think Kam is talking about the vinyl originals, not the CDs.

I too was talking about the vinyls

soulster
07-10-2013, 05:41 PM
I too was talking about the vinyls
Grrrrrr! There is no "s" on the word vinyl!:mad:

Kamasu_Jr
07-10-2013, 06:20 PM
I wonder why some of the vinyl Anthologies had booklets and some [[Jackson 5, Marvelettes, etc.) did not?

reese
07-10-2013, 08:19 PM
I wonderrwhy some of the vinyl Anthologies had booklets and some [[Jackson 5, Marvelettes, etc.) did not?

Maybe those full-color booklets were getting too costly to produce. When they brought booklets back for the Supremes and Tempts 25TH ANNIVERSARY collections, they were in black and white.

johnjeb
07-10-2013, 09:50 PM
I have all the Anthologies except Grover and Commodores and the single volume imports.

I just got the Stevie Anthology a couple of years ago off eBay and have had the Looking Back since it was released. I had my hands on his Anthology when it first appeared years ago in discount bins at Woolworth's but it was a hot August day and I didn't want it sitting in my car all day. When I went back later in the week all the copies were gone. I hunted for it for years in used record stores without any luck.

Although The Marvelettes Anthology did not have a booklet I think the inside cover was the most creative and fun. I was disappointed that it wasn't pictured in their recent CD collection.

RossHolloway
07-11-2013, 09:30 AM
@johnjeb- was there a big difference between Stevie's Anthology and the Looking Back record?

Kamasu_Jr
07-11-2013, 03:01 PM
There was no difference in the songs on Anthology and Looking Back. The big difference was Anthology had a photo booklet and Looking Back did not.

tamla617
07-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I have a few [[all second hand) IMO the booklets are worth their weight in gold. Having said that I haven't got the Stevie booklet! I got the 1st in a rush and hadn't checked it [[idiot!) Think I learnt from that? Nah! I bought another one, forgetting about the 1st cock up I didn't check for the booklet.NO BOOKLET! I've never seen one. I take it there was one. Anyone got a picture of it?
The Jr Walker Anthology is my Favourite. Until I saw an earlier post I hadn't realised there was an Undisputed Truth anthology. I'll have to go searching!

tamla617
07-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Grrrrrr! There is no "s" on the word vinyl!:mad:

We back in school? Figure of speech/slang as in the plural [[of) vinyl I would think.

stopinthenameoflove
07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I have all the Anthologies except Grover and Commodores and the single volume imports.

I just got the Stevie Anthology a couple of years ago off eBay and have had the Looking Back since it was released. I had my hands on his Anthology when it first appeared years ago in discount bins at Woolworth's but it was a hot August day and I didn't want it sitting in my car all day. When I went back later in the week all the copies were gone. I hunted for it for years in used record stores without any luck.

Although The Marvelettes Anthology did not have a booklet I think the inside cover was the most creative and fun. I was disappointed that it wasn't pictured in their recent CD collection.

The inside cover of The Marvelettes Anthology is superb!

Kamasu_Jr
07-11-2013, 07:08 PM
A lot of the photos inside the jacket of the Marvelettes' Anthology were small or inside the fold or crease. I hoped Motown would have reprinted some of them in Forever Vol. 1 or other Marvelettes' discs, but they've only reused a few.

144man
07-12-2013, 03:49 AM
We back in school? Figure of speech/slang as in the plural [[of) vinyl I would think.

I agree. During the Olympics, we talked about how many golds we had won.

tamla617
07-12-2013, 11:49 AM
I agree. During the Olympics, we talked about how many golds we had won.

We did. Didn't we do well!?

762rob
07-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Yes, the inside cover was "Marvy" great assortment of photos and I loved the rabbit's foot!
Just bought myself a sealed copy on eBay.

144man
07-13-2013, 06:00 PM
We did. Didn't we do well!?

We certainly did!

MIKEW-UK
07-14-2013, 04:41 PM
I THINK THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME TO BUY SOUGHT AFTER VINYL AT INCREDIBLY LOW PRICES

STEVIE WONDER ANTHOLOGY 3 X 12" VINYL RECORD LP WITH BOOKLET 1977

JUST SOLD EBAY £6.00 PLUS POSTAGE £4.50
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEVIE-WONDER-ANTHOLOGY-3-X-12-VINYL-RECORD-LP-WITH-BOOKLET-1977-/290941562935?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=KUGLnfRY19oecCyaj3beaQZsyvg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

theboyfromxtown
07-16-2013, 03:28 PM
There's an 8 track version of Stevie's Anthology on ebay at present.

I somehow dont think it would have come with a booklet.......!! LOL

rovereab
07-16-2013, 04:21 PM
It's interesting that in the UK we had a mix of US sleeved 3 LP Anthology sets, e.g. The Supremes and SR & The Miracles, and UK sleeved 2 LP Anthology sets, e.g. The Temptations and Marvin Gaye [[which includes a different mix of You're A Special Part Of Me).

I wonder how the decision was made about which artist/group had 3 LP and 2 LP sets?

reese
07-16-2013, 05:06 PM
It's interesting that in the UK we had a mix of US sleeved 3 LP Anthology sets, e.g. The Supremes and SR & The Miracles, and UK sleeved 2 LP Anthology sets, e.g. The Temptations and Marvin Gaye [[which includes a different mix of You're A Special Part Of Me).

I wonder how the decision was made about which artist/group had 3 LP and 2 LP sets?

Not sure how it worked from country to country. In the US, I think it might have come down to how many single releases an act had. For instance, Gladys and the Pips only had enough single releases to fill a double album, and that's even including a couple of b-sides, plus four album tracks.