PDA

View Full Version : Martha & Vandellas Got to Record & Relase DANCING IN THE STREET By Accident

test

milven
07-07-2013, 12:48 PM
In a new book coming out Thursday July 11th by Mark Kurlanshky [[titled "Ready For A Brand New Beat: How Dancing in the Street Became the Anthem for a Changing America"), it says that Martha was hanging around Motown studios the day that Mickey Stevenson, Ivory Joe Hunter and Marvin Gaye had laid down the track to a song they'd just written. Martha stepped up to the mic and threw down a take. Then she did another. She looked up to the control booth and saw the men reacting "as though something special just happened".

The story became Motown legend. But it wasn't that simple. The author of the book says that everything Martha believed about that recording sesssion wasn't true and no one told her. He wonders if , even now, she is aware of the full story.

Martha always claimed that Marvin had chosen her to sing " Dancing". What she didn't know was that the songwriters only wanted a demo. They intended to pass it along to Mickey Stevenson's wife, Kim Weston, for whom the song was written.

According to the author, after Martha recorded the song, in the control booth Marvin and Ivory Joe were confronting Mickey as to who would get the song.

The next time Kim heard the song, it it was on the radio being sung by Martha, who, without knowing, had essentially stolen it from her.

We keep learning new stuff about Motown every day. Roberta, did you know this story about your First Lady of Motown?

Book is available Thursday on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-For-Brand-New-Beat/dp/1594487227/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373215233&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=readty+for+a+brand+new+beat

Roberta75
07-07-2013, 04:39 PM
In a new book coming out Thursday July 11th by Mark Kurlanshky [[titled "Ready For A Brand New Beat: How Dancing in the Street Became the Anthem for a Changing America"), it says that Martha was hanging around Motown studios the day that Mickey Stevenson, Ivory Joe Hunter and Marvin Gaye had laid down the track to a song they'd just written. Martha stepped up to the mic and threw down a take. Then she did another. She looked up to the control booth and saw the men reacting "as though something special just happened".

The story became Motown legend. But it wasn't that simple. The author of the book says that everything Martha believed about that recording sesssion wasn't true and no one told her. He wonders if , even now, she is aware of the full story.

Martha always claimed that Marvin had chosen her to sing " Dancing". What she didn't know was that the songwriters only wanted a demo. They intended to pass it along to Mickey Stevenson's wife, Kim Weston, for whom the song was written.

According to the author, after Martha recorded the song, in the control booth Marvin and Ivory Joe were confronting Mickey as to who would get the song.

The next time Kim heard the song, it it was on the radio being sung by Martha, who, without knowing, had essentially stolen it from her.

We keep learning new stuff about Motown every day. Roberta, did you know this story about your First Lady of Motown?

Book is available Thursday on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-For-Brand-New-Beat/dp/1594487227/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373215233&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=readty+for+a+brand+new+beat

I believe whatever the First Lady of Motown Records Dr martha Reeves say is the truth Milven. Martha was saved and is a sister in Christ so I know for a fact Martha wouldnt lie. Now Miss Martha may not know that the producers wanted the song for Kim Weston but imo Kim Weston wouldnt have made Dancing in the Streets the worldwide hit and motown Anthem that Martha did. Martha Reeves version of this song is the only one that should have ever been released and Mr Berry Gordy knew that. Only Marthas voice could have done that song justice and if Miss Kim Weston feel that Martha stole it from her then Miss Weston is wrong imo.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

milven
07-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Perhaps you read the post wrong. It said she unknowingly stole it. She had no idea that she was just doing a demo for Kim Weston. So when she told the story, she was telling it as it was told to her. That is not a lie.

And, I think it is a great compliment to your First Lady of Motown , that Marvin and Ivory Joe knew instantly that it should be Martha's song and not Kim's. Even Mickey finally agreed after he was confronted by the other two men.

After Martha recorded it, she made it her own and it has been hers since.

Roberta75
07-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Perhaps you read the post wrong. It said she unknowingly stole it. She had no idea that she was just doing a demo for Kim Weston. So when she told the story, she was telling it as it was told to her. That is not a lie.

And, I think it is a great compliment to your First Lady of Motown , that Marvin and Ivory Joe knew instantly that it should be Martha's song and not Kim's. Even Mickey finally agreed after he was confronted by the other two men.

After Martha recorded it, she made it her own and it has been hers since.

I sincerely apologize Milven. I did misunderstand you. Please accept my apology.

Dancing in the streets sure is Marthas song and Motowns anthem and it still get people excited almost 50 years later.

Fondly,

Roberta

reese
07-07-2013, 10:13 PM
There have been so many stories about this record. I read an interview with Kim Weston where she said that Martha got the release because she and Mickey Stevenson had had a disagreement. Another time she mentioned that since MY BABY LOVES ME was a hit, Mickey got to produce the followup as well, which she said was DANCING. Of course, this can't be true since MY BABY LOVES ME was actually released almost two years after DANCING.

The upcoming book sounds as if it may be interesting.

supremester
07-08-2013, 12:20 AM
You can't go by what artists say 100%......as we know.........Mary Wells claimed, to her manager, that "Berry Gordy spent the millions he made off My Guy and used it to make Diana Ross a star" which, of course, is BS and, like the "My Baby Loves Me " story, impossble, but people don't ever think they'll get checked up on when they tell their lies. LOL

reese
07-08-2013, 07:53 AM
You can't go by what artists say 100%......as we know.........Mary Wells claimed, to her manager, that "Berry Gordy spent the millions he made off My Guy and used it to make Diana Ross a star" which, of course, is BS and, like the "My Baby Loves Me " story, impossble, but people don't ever think they'll get checked up on when they tell their lies. LOL

I don't necessarily think it is always a case of people lying. I think many stars have done so much and achieved so much that they can't remember every minute detail. Practicially every autobiography that I've ever read has had some factual errors that true fans would have caught in a heartbeat. Now of course in some cases, there is selective memory as well.

BigAl
07-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I remember reading an interview with Kim a few years back where she maintained that she was unaware for years that "Dancing" had ever been specifically earmarked for her. She said something to the effect that Mickey might have suggested it to her "for about five minutes," but that she didn't think anything more about it until the stories about its being for her started circulating some years later.

RossHolloway
07-08-2013, 12:03 PM
What are the chances that Martha would be called into a studio to do a demo for another artist at that point in her career?

reese
07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
What are the chances that Martha would be called into a studio to do a demo for another artist at that point in her career?

I've seen an interview with Martha where she says she first heard the song as demo'd by Marvin Gaye. So Marvin did a demo for Martha, and then Martha did a demo for Kim? Rather interesting.

supremester
07-08-2013, 02:09 PM
When Mary says "Me n Diane n Flo recorded Someday We'll Be Together" isnt not true, but I don't call that a lie , like when Ross says she recorded Im Gonna Make You Love Me with Marvin Gaye - is, like Mary's, a slip of the tongue and age and they don't sweat this stuff like we do. Mary Wells' Muy Guy Milions? That's total BS and made up to create victimhood. It's a lie. To me, anyway. She went from being the biggest black female star to losing that title to Ross in just a few very short months.
I don't necessarily think it is always a case of people lying. I think many stars have done so much and achieved so much that they can't remember every minute detail. Practicially every autobiography that I've ever read has had some factual errors that true fans would have caught in a heartbeat. Now of course in some cases, there is selective memory as well.

marybrewster
07-08-2013, 02:53 PM
I've heard various versions of this story throughout the years. With no offense to the writer, it's doubtful he has the correct story, unless it came from the lips of Mickey Stevenson, Ivory Joe Hunter and Marvin Gaye. Unfortunately, Ivory Joe and Marvin are no longer with us; maybe Mickey was interviewed for this book? That might give this version some credibility. Might.

motony
07-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Mary Wells never said that statement above.Motown did make millions off "My Guy" the single & the LP and the Marvin Gaye duet as Mary did not get any royalties from those as she left the co.Motown did use the money it made off the hitmakers espcially Mary Wells & the Marvelettes to build up the others, that is NOT a lie.

theboyfromxtown
07-08-2013, 06:10 PM
marybrewster

May I respectfully point out that it was Ivy Jo Hunter and not Ivory Jo Hunter. They are 2 different people. As far as I am aware, Ivy Jo is still with us.

luke
07-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Kim Weston has always said it's news to her that Dancing in the Street was intended for her.

midnightman
07-09-2013, 03:50 AM
I believe Martha's account. Even Kim said she doesn't think the song was for her anyways. There's also too many different accounts on who wrote what on "Dancing". Ivy Joe claimed until he died that Marvin had asked for credit after giving the song its title, Mickey Stevenson claimed he was discussing the song with Marvin and disguised it as a "sad ballad". When Marvin read the opening words [["calling out around the world, are you ready for a brand new beat?") he said "man this ain't no ballad, this is a dance song" and Marvin finished the lyrics for him, including adding in the cities [["in Chicago, down in New Orleans, in New York City, Philadelphia, PA, Baltimore and DC now, can't forget the Motor City [[Detroit)"). Marvin and Mickey are said to have added melody and then Ivory changed the musical composition to how we hear it now [[Martha said Marvin's demo was completely different).

According to Martha, she was also the only Vandella present. Apparently Rosalind and Betty didn't record background vocals on the song. It was Marvin, possibly Martha and another woman who sung background. Marvin played drums on it.

theboyfromxtown
07-09-2013, 04:04 PM
There still appears to be confusion with Ivy Jo Hunter and Ivory Jo Hunter. It is IVY JO HUNTER that has a best song award for Dancing in the Street

Velvelette Cal Street witnessed Rosalind and Betty recording background vocals for the song. Cal had taken Betty to the studio because Betty was too nervous to go on her own.

The song had a different title when Marvin Gaye recorded it - I Just Got To Cry.

motony
07-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Martha was correct there were no Vandellas there when she put on her lead vocal.theboyfromcrosstown is correct that Rosalind & Betty[[her first recording as a Vandella) came in later.Everyone at Motown knew they had somethin special with this recording.One of the most exciting records ever.Singles, 45 were the big deal in the 60's, LPs were certainly secondary.

marv2
07-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I had always heard that Marvin was suppose to record the song. He wanted to record it as a love ballad. Thank God Martha, Rosalind and Betty got to record it. It became an anthem of some sort.

theboyfromxtown
07-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Martha was correct there were no Vandellas there when she put on her lead vocal.theboyfromcrosstown is correct that Rosalind & Betty[[her first recording as a Vandella) came in later.Everyone at Motown knew they had somethin special with this recording.One of the most exciting records ever.Singles, 45 were the big deal in the 60's, LPs were certainly secondary.

Cal Street said that to me too. Everybody that was involved in the recording just knew it was gonna be a HUGE record.

midnightman
07-09-2013, 09:26 PM
There still appears to be confusion with Ivy Jo Hunter and Ivory Jo Hunter. It is IVY JO HUNTER that has a best song award for Dancing in the Street

Velvelette Cal Street witnessed Rosalind and Betty recording background vocals for the song. Cal had taken Betty to the studio because Betty was too nervous to go on her own.

The song had a different title when Marvin Gaye recorded it - I Just Got To Cry.

Hahaha Ivy Jo. Yeah I get them confused lol :)

midnightman
07-09-2013, 09:27 PM
I had always heard that Marvin was suppose to record the song. He wanted to record it as a love ballad. Thank God Martha, Rosalind and Betty got to record it. It became an anthem of some sort.

Well someone did say the original title was "I Just Got to Cry" lol

midnightman
07-09-2013, 09:28 PM
I also heard from Martha that Marvin sung background vocals on there too. Can that be corroborated because I clearly heard a male voice singing along to Rosalind and Betty.

bradburger
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
There still appears to be confusion with Ivy Jo Hunter and Ivory Jo Hunter.

Yes, IVY JO HUNTER!

It is IVY JO HUNTER that has a best song award for Dancing in the Street.

And he deserverd it!

One of Motown's unsung writers and prouducers in my opinion.

I seem to recall one of the interviews with R.Dean Taylor in the 1986 Channel 4 'Motown Story' documemtary saying something to the effect of "Ivy Hunter, he wrote that song, but if you take a look at the credits.....".

I don't have TCMS 1964 or the M&V 50th Anniversary Singles set, but out of interest for those that do, what does the session log info in the track annotations of each set say about this song?

After all, you here all the stories over the years of how these tracks started out and who they were intended for etc. which is all very well, but as someone once the said, "The session logs don't usually lie!"

Cheers

Paul