PDA

View Full Version : White glove treatment

test

arrr&bee
07-06-2013, 12:48 PM
It's s-a-t-u-r-d-a-y,so here goes...name groups that wore white gloves in thier stage routine...martha and the vandellas-the manhattans-the unifics...what cha got???

westgrandboulevard
07-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Little Anthony & The Imperials...?

ps where's the hooch hidden...:)

Soul Sister
07-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Not Little Anthony.

"THE MANHATTANS" featuring "Smitty" really made it famous!

The Unifics copied it and steps from The Manhattans quite a bit.
A few others too!!

THE MIGHTY MANHATTANS ~

S.S.

Kamasu_Jr
07-06-2013, 03:07 PM
The New Christy Minstrelfolks.

westgrandboulevard
07-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I mentioned Little Anthony/Imperials, as there was a story I once read way back in UK music press, about Dionne Warwick being a bit of a practical joker.

She was appearing with the Shangri-Las and, I seem to recall, Little Anthony & The Imperials were mentioned, but maybe not necessarily on the same bill.

The male group [[the Imperials, I thought), as part of their act, performed a routine in blackout, except just their gloved hands, which showed up when a certain spotlight was used on them. Dionne was supposed to have switched the gloves one time - so the story goes - and they performed literally in the dark.

Is that story just a myth - or true, but perhaps another group, maybe The Manhattans, and not The Imperials?

westgrandboulevard
07-06-2013, 03:13 PM
PS. Seem to think The Supremes lip-synched 'Where Did Our Love Go' on UK/BBC Top Of The Pops show, wearing long white evening gloves......?

Kamasu_Jr
07-06-2013, 03:43 PM
The Supremes wore long, white gloves on the Hollywood Palace when they performed Stop! In the Name Of Love.

Soul Sister
07-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Females wearing long gloves with gowns was a totally different thing than male groups doing a stage routine to love songs.

S.S.