PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Rivers Sure Does Love Him Some motown

test

Motown4Ever518
07-05-2013, 08:22 PM
I was as a July 4th Celebration last night, during Johnny Rivers set, he did his two Motown hits, The Tracks of My tears, and Baby I Need Your Loving, very well I might add, as well as playing some nice guitar. Does anyone know if he recorded anything else from West Grand Blvd. Vocally, his versions are never going to make you forget the originals, but I always felt that instead of giving the songs the "treatment" as many others have done in the past, and sadly, will do in the future. There was a respect, accorded the songs, almost reverence.

kenneth
07-05-2013, 11:15 PM
He had such a beautiful voice. I'm happy to hear he's still performing those great songs. I believe he had one of the finest producers back then, and they veered him from folk songs into the uptown R&B starting with his great hit "Poor Side of Town," which could have been a Motown song!

StuBass1
07-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Johnny Rivers was my guest at The Wiltern Theatre when The Funk Brothers performed there following the release of the SITSOM documentary. He is a big Motown fan [[and a big Joan Osborne fan), and claimed to me that either Baby I Need Your Lovin or Tracks Of My Tears [[forget which one) was Motown biggest selling hit recorded by a white artist.

Motown4Ever518
07-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Johnny Rivers was my guest at The Wiltern Theatre when The Funk Brothers performed there following the release of the SITSOM documentary. He is a big Motown fan [[and a big Joan Osborne fan), and claimed to me that either Baby I Need Your Lovin or Tracks Of My Tears [[forget which one) was Motown biggest selling hit recorded by a white artist.

I am going to say, Baby I Need Your Loving, of the two sold better, based on the selling of the song by the artist. Stu Bass, he closed with "Secret Agent Man", my wife who was 5-6-7, at the time did not know it was from a TV series. I was elling a bass playing friend of mine that the band really rocked.

StuBass1
07-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Many have tried to play that opening guitar riff to Secret Agent Man...Other than JR...few have been able to pull it off...

roger
07-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Well Stu .. sales figures are notoriously difficult to determine .. on the Billboard Hot 100 his version of "Baby I Need Your Loving" peaked at #3 in 1967, whereas "Tracks Of My Tears" peaked at #10.

However, if we are talking about just U.S. sales, they might both have been outsold by "You Keep Me Hanging On" by KIM WILDE which got to #1 on The Hot 100 in 1987.

Here in merry olde England I would imagine the biggest "white" version of a Motown song would be the version of "You Can't Hurry Love" by PHIL COLLINS, with "Wherever I Lay My Hat" by PAUL YOUNG, "You Keep Me Hanging On" by KIM WILDE and the version of "This Old Heart of Mine" by ROD STEWART as runners up ..

This would make an interesting thread in its own right.

:)

Roger

kenneth
07-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Following up on my earlier thought, I would love to have heard Jimmy Ruffin sing "Poor Side of Town." He had the voice for that kind of tune...big and anthem-like.

supremester
07-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I never liked JR's Motown covers, although oddly enough, both charted much higher than the originals. Didn't like Poor Side Of Town and although Secret Agent Man was a killer record, it came at a time that the secret agent thing was so overexposed, it made the record a joke to a lot of people. I was not a JR fan at all. In 1983, an oldies revue played to a near empty coliseum and JR followed the tepid responses to: Mary Wilson & The Supremes, Rick Nelson, 5th Dimension and The Grassroots. When they announced JR, I left my friends and went to talk to Mary. She was sitting in the concourse in her Motown 25 non-Black/White or Silver red gown and was agitated because she had not been paid and couldn't find the promoter. Occasionally, she'd ask passersby if they had seen him and eventually she began knocking on doors. I was horrified that an original Supreme had to do this. Meanwhile, I hear the crowd being very very loud inside and when Mary finally saw the promoter and ran after him into a room, I went inside to see if JR had dropped his pants or what. He was rocking that tiny crowd and really nailed his set. I was very very impressed. Plus, he did a few tunes that I actually liked. His Motown covers, like James Taylor's How Sweet It Is, still make me gag, however the guy really knows how to bring a dead crowd to life.
Following up on my earlier thought, I would love to have heard Jimmy Ruffin sing "Poor Side of Town." He had the voice for that kind of tune...big and anthem-like.

Kamasu_Jr
07-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Funny story Supremester. I interviewed Johnny Rivers once. He was doing an oldies gig here. He was a nice guy. I wanted to ask him if the rumor was true that he pissed off Elvis by stealing the arrangement to the song [[Memphis) and was banned from visiting Graceland while Elvis was alive. But he was so nice, I didn't want to make him defensive.

soulwally
07-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Of course, Motown's Monitors recorded Poor Side Of Town, officially unreleased until the Ace set [[last year?). Richard Street delivers a typically fine lead on the tune.

stephanie
07-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Supremester! I didnt know you didnt like Johnnys covers. You know my name is Stephanie Campbell-Rivers I love Johnny Rivers!!! He puts on a great show you are right! One of the best guitarists up there with Del Shannon who is another fave of mine. I feel Mr Rivers is respected amongst his peers and although he has a BIG fan base he is underrated. This is one man who should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He had a lot to do with the success of the Fifth Dimension. His best song by far is Summer Rain IMO. I cant imagine why they would have him on a bill with that many people and I am shocked to hear of the Grass Roots not getting a crowd going. This must not have been an oldies crowd when Rob Grill was living [[RIP) lead singer of the Grass Roots their shows always had a big welcome I dont know what kind of promotion this was but I find it odd that Mr Rivers was with these people. I remember I saw the Buckinghams open for him but that was it. Usually he is a one act [[with an opening act) show. Stu thanks for letting me know one of my favorite musical legends is a Motown fan. Can someone confirm what I am about to ask. I heard Johnny Rivers in an interview once and although I am a fan of his I got the impression he could be a little hard nosed. The interviewer asked Johnny how he felt about having hits he didnt write and when he answered the question he sounded upset that the interviewer made it sound like he was just a copycat artist which we know is not all true. Although I will admit a lot of his hits have been done and written by others. He does the best remakes of Van Morrison songs of anyone I have ever heard and I have to say his catalog has aged well.

kenneth
07-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Of course, Motown's Monitors recorded Poor Side Of Town, officially unreleased until the Ace set [[last year?). Richard Street delivers a typically fine lead on the tune.

I forgot that...will have to listen to that again. Street would also be great on this tune.

supremester
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Hey Steph! Well, I'll tell you about that show. It wasn't really poorly promoted, Portland is a weird town [[Barry Manilow was recently cancelled for ticket sales, Brittany gave away 5000 seats but Karen Carpenter and Justin Beiber would sell out in 30 seconds) I went to see Mary and Rick Nelson [[who made me gay: I used to drool at him on TV when I was 5) I don't know why no one went - I recall the tix being cheap. This was right after Central Park and "Women From Mars" [[Ross 83 LP) came out. The show opened with Mary Wilson & The Supremes which was not their finest hour - the arrangements were fast and weird, Mary had her red dress but the other two looked like Target models and, quite frankly, their disorganized set.....well, audience did not like them. A man in the second row actually stood up and plugged his ears during their finale: Someday We'll Be Together. I was really surprised Mary would be doing the leads - this was only 13 years after Ross split and no one expected a lounge act from The Supremes. Ricky Nelson, the love of my life, came out on stage 50 pounds overweight and sweating like a piece of rancid pork. I immediately filed for separation. The 5th Dimension were even worse than MW&TS, but did get the audience going finally on Aquarius. The Grassroots were boring and the harmony of Midnight Confession wasn't there, plus they did an extended River Is Wide that was a bore. No one was going over well and I began to wonder just who these 2500 people came to see......then JR came out and the place went ape shit and paved the way for The Turtles, who closed a pretty good set with their hits sounding like the originals. JR's Motown covers? I can say something positive: I'd much rather hear JR's tracks of My Tears that James Taylors' How Sweet It Is...... Po' Side Of Town had to hurt my ears as this was the best ever summer for music for me. You Can't Hurry Love [[My fave Motown record ever) Beauty is Only Skin Deep [[fave Tempts 45 at the time) Black Is Black, Bus Stop, Summer In The City, Workin In A Coal Mine, 96 Tears, Carla thomas, Jimy Ruffin, reach Out, Wild Thing, Hanky Panky, Wipeout, Sunshine Superman .....it was an awesome time for top 40 - except for Cherish & Windy, I really loved the radio that summer. I didn't know your Rivers came from Johnny, if I had been a few years older, my last name would definitely be Nelson, although I'm currently dating Kris Humphries and we are taking it slow to see where it's going. My 20 year old likes Kris also, but she's used to us liking the same guys. I've told her that Hump is too old for her!
Supremester! I didnt know you didnt like Johnnys covers. You know my name is Stephanie Campbell-Rivers I love Johnny Rivers!!! He puts on a great show you are right! One of the best guitarists up there with Del Shannon who is another fave of mine. I feel Mr Rivers is respected amongst his peers and although he has a BIG fan base he is underrated. This is one man who should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He had a lot to do with the success of the Fifth Dimension. His best song by far is Summer Rain IMO. I cant imagine why they would have him on a bill with that many people and I am shocked to hear of the Grass Roots not getting a crowd going. This must not have been an oldies crowd when Rob Grill was living [[RIP) lead singer of the Grass Roots their shows always had a big welcome I dont know what kind of promotion this was but I find it odd that Mr Rivers was with these people. I remember I saw the Buckinghams open for him but that was it. Usually he is a one act [[with an opening act) show. Stu thanks for letting me know one of my favorite musical legends is a Motown fan. Can someone confirm what I am about to ask. I heard Johnny Rivers in an interview once and although I am a fan of his I got the impression he could be a little hard nosed. The interviewer asked Johnny how he felt about having hits he didnt write and when he answered the question he sounded upset that the interviewer made it sound like he was just a copycat artist which we know is not all true. Although I will admit a lot of his hits have been done and written by others. He does the best remakes of Van Morrison songs of anyone I have ever heard and I have to say his catalog has aged well.

oldiesmusicfan
07-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Supremester - your "Ricky Nelson, the love of my life, came out on stage 50 pounds overweight and sweating like a piece of rancid pork. I immediately filed for separation" made me laugh out loud. Thanks for my giggles for the day!

Stephanie - have to agree about Summer Rain and I'm adding Look To Your Soul which didn't do nearly as well on the chart. Some other favorites of mine by Johnny Rivers -

It'll Never Happen Again
Tunesmith
Going Back To Big Sur
Something's Strange
What's The Difference
Softly As I Leave You

He really mined a lot of other singers' catalogs besides The Four Tops and and Van Morrison - Chuck Berry, Arthur Alexander, James Taylor, Harold Dorman, Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Huey "Piano" Smith & The Clowns, Kingston Trio, Glen Campbell, Bobby Goldsboro, Frankie Ford, Sam Cooke, Paul Evans...........

And he knew who could write a good song - Tim Hardin, Jimmy Webb and so many more. But he could write also!

I'm NOT a big fan of remakes, but he does succeed on the charts doing them that's for sure.

And regarding Poor Side Of Town, the song was also done nicely by Al Wilson [[Billboard Pop Chart 1/18/69, reached #75, didn't chart R&B) and this is a really nice slower version.

Oldies

stephanie
07-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Oldies music fan I can tell you are a Rivers fan you mentioned Going back to Big Sur! One thing I like about Mr Rivers is that his albums are not full of filler. Do you have the Outside Help album there is a song on there called Ashes and Sand it makes me cry. Have to listen to Al do Poor side of Town. Johnny did a version of Als hit the Snake. Supremester you are like my mother she loved Ricky Nelson and thought that George Harrison was the sexiest Beatle. I can see what Portland sees in Miss Carpenter but Justin Bieber [[oh gosh) You have a great pick of people you like in th 60s I loved the Turtles and they STILL sound like their records on those Happy Together tours. Hey I like baby James but Im with you I don't like his version of How Sweet it is To be Loved by You either. He is another one that has tons of fans and I like Fire and Rain and all of his other things he is an original. Your list reminded me of the great songs 66 was a good year I must say. I have 5 Petula Clark albums here and she is another one who had great songs Color My World, Dowtown, My Love, She had many hits which Tony Hatch did a great job producing. Have you seen her she looks great for her age!!! Oldies - Look to your Soul had to grow on me I didn't like it when I first heard it. I did my balance beam routine to Summer Rain in high school and they laughed at me but I don't care.

supremester
07-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Oldies & Stephanie: Have you seen and committed to memory perhaps the best I Love Lucy: "L.A. At Last!" ? If so, let me know, and I'll tell you about my version of William Holden at The Brown Derby, only it's Ricky Nelson at Denny's 1974. Oh, I left out Hungry, Wouldnt It Be Nice, Alfie [[Cher), The Pied Piper and I Saw Her Again - funny, there's no Beatles, Hermans Hermits or those fast burn Gary Lewis & The Playboys near hits . Talk about promotion, Jerry lewis must have been VERY friendly to PDs to get some of his son's records added so quickly and heavily. I remember laying on my bed before dinner on a warm summer day listening to KISN and thinking "it'll never get any better than this"........and, in some ways, it didn't.
Supremester - your "Ricky Nelson, the love of my life, came out on stage 50 pounds overweight and sweating like a piece of rancid pork. I immediately filed for separation" made me laugh out loud. Thanks for my giggles for the day!

Stephanie - have to agree about Summer Rain and I'm adding Look To Your Soul which didn't do nearly as well on the chart. Some other favorites of mine by Johnny Rivers -

It'll Never Happen Again
Tunesmith
Going Back To Big Sur
Something's Strange
What's The Difference
Softly As I Leave You

He really mined a lot of other singers' catalogs besides The Four Tops and and Van Morrison - Chuck Berry, Arthur Alexander, James Taylor, Harold Dorman, Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Huey "Piano" Smith & The Clowns, Kingston Trio, Glen Campbell, Bobby Goldsboro, Frankie Ford, Sam Cooke, Paul Evans...........

And he knew who could write a good song - Tim Hardin, Jimmy Webb and so many more. But he could write also!

I'm NOT a big fan of remakes, but he does succeed on the charts doing them that's for sure.

And regarding Poor Side Of Town, the song was also done nicely by Al Wilson [[Billboard Pop Chart 1/18/69, reached #75, didn't chart R&B) and this is a really nice slower version.

Oldies

luke
07-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Sorry but I think a soul singer needs to sing these Motown songs. Otherwise it's like fingernails on a blackboard to my ears.

StuBass1
07-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Sorry but I think a soul singer needs to sing these Motown songs. Otherwise it's like fingernails on a blackboard to my ears.

Then your implication is that the material is not strong enough to cross genres to which I'd completely have to disagree...

motony
07-09-2013, 04:51 PM
although I never bought Johnny Rivers records I thought he did a good job with both "Baby I Need Your Loving" & "Tracks of My Tears" back in the day when the sun went down I was forced to listen to POP radio as the local Soul station was only on Sun Up to Sun Down. Johnny Rivers was one of a handful of what I called Pop artists that I liked listening to. The writers & Jobete were sure happy with his "covers".

marv2
07-09-2013, 05:00 PM
I like Johnny Rivers. He is a good singer and a really great musician. I always viewed his recording of Motown hits as reprises because they were so laid back compared to the originals. I prefer his remakes over James Taylor's any day!

Motown4Ever518
07-09-2013, 07:07 PM
I saw James Taylor in concert once, and maybe I saw a concert on PBS, I agree with marv2, his HSIITBLBY, always sounded contrived to me, as if his producer suggested it as a means to broaden his appeal. He had a good sized hit, and HDH appreciated the deposit into the bank account, but James Taylor was/is an original.

luke
07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Marv explained it better. There are some good versions of songs but then I think of Phil Collins...

marv2
07-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Marv explained it better. There are some good versions of songs but then I think of Phil Collins...

Luke, now you're talking! Phil Collins did a decent job on "You Can't Hurry Love". He stuck to the original arrangement and the instrumental track was kicking!!!! That guy Donnie Elbert did some decent covers I must say.

marv2
07-09-2013, 10:21 PM
although I never bought Johnny Rivers records I thought he did a good job with both "Baby I Need Your Loving" & "Tracks of My Tears" back in the day when the sun went down I was forced to listen to POP radio as the local Soul station was only on Sun Up to Sun Down. Johnny Rivers was one of a handful of what I called Pop artists that I liked listening to. The writers & Jobete were sure happy with his "covers".

You see with Johnny Rivers, you could tell that he REALLY liked the music of Motown and was honest enough to know he could not copy it convincingly, so he gave it his own brand of sublime soul. That's why his covers worked.

luke
07-09-2013, 10:36 PM
I think we need a whole new thread-covers that worked and covers that didnt! I like Donnie E too. Fun and bouncy!

marv2
07-09-2013, 10:49 PM
I think we need a whole new thread-covers that worked and covers that didnt! I like Donnie E too. Fun and bouncy!

That is exactly how I would describe Donnie Elberts version of Motown hits. fun and bouncy! New thread anyone?

robb_k
07-10-2013, 06:13 AM
He had such a beautiful voice. I'm happy to hear he's still performing those great songs. I believe he had one of the finest producers back then, and they veered him from folk songs into the uptown R&B starting with his great hit "Poor Side of Town," which could have been a Motown song!
Yes, it could. Jimmy Webb worked for Johnny Rivers Music. Co., writing some songs for Johnny, The Fifth Dimension, and other artists of his, all produced by ex-Motowner, Marc Gordon. I suspect that Rivers signed Webb on the behest of Gordon. Webb had worked with Gordon for Jobete Music's L.A. office. "The Poor Side of Town" sounds like a Jimmy Webb Motown song, probably because he helped Rivers write it, or, at least polish it, despite the fact that Rivers is listed as its sole writer.

Nothing But Soul
07-10-2013, 05:46 PM
"The Poor Side of Town" sounds like a Jimmy Webb Motown song, probably because he helped Rivers write it, or, at least polish it, despite the fact that Rivers is listed as its sole writer.

Your theory that Jimmy Webb helped Johnny Rivers with "The Poor Side of Town" sounds very plausible to me, Robb. The opening track on the Rivers album [[Changes) that included "The Poor Side of Town" was "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", so it's clear that Rivers was working with Jimmy Webb at the time. My guess is that JR would probably have released "By the Time I Get To Phoenix" as his next single after "Poor Side of Town" if Glen Campbell hadn't beaten him to it.

smark21
07-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Hey Steph! Well, I'll tell you about that show. It wasn't really poorly promoted, Portland is a weird town [[Barry Manilow was recently cancelled for ticket sales, Brittany gave away 5000 seats but Karen Carpenter and Justin Beiber would sell out in 30 seconds) I went to see Mary and Rick Nelson [[who made me gay: I used to drool at him on TV when I was 5) I don't know why no one went - I recall the tix being cheap. This was right after Central Park and "Women From Mars" [[Ross 83 LP) came out. The show opened with Mary Wilson & The Supremes which was not their finest hour - the arrangements were fast and weird, Mary had her red dress but the other two looked like Target models and, quite frankly, their disorganized set.....well, audience did not like them. A man in the second row actually stood up and plugged his ears during their finale: Someday We'll Be Together. I was really surprised Mary would be doing the leads - this was only 13 years after Ross split and no one expected a lounge act from The Supremes. Ricky Nelson, the love of my life, came out on stage 50 pounds overweight and sweating like a piece of rancid pork. I immediately filed for separation. The 5th Dimension were even worse than MW&TS, but did get the audience going finally on Aquarius. The Grassroots were boring and the harmony of Midnight Confession wasn't there, plus they did an extended River Is Wide that was a bore. No one was going over well and I began to wonder just who these 2500 people came to see......then JR came out and the place went ape shit and paved the way for The Turtles, who closed a pretty good set with their hits sounding like the originals. JR's Motown covers? I can say something positive: I'd much rather hear JR's tracks of My Tears that James Taylors' How Sweet It Is...... Po' Side Of Town had to hurt my ears as this was the best ever summer for music for me. You Can't Hurry Love [[My fave Motown record ever) Beauty is Only Skin Deep [[fave Tempts 45 at the time) Black Is Black, Bus Stop, Summer In The City, Workin In A Coal Mine, 96 Tears, Carla thomas, Jimy Ruffin, reach Out, Wild Thing, Hanky Panky, Wipeout, Sunshine Superman .....it was an awesome time for top 40 - except for Cherish & Windy, I really loved the radio that summer. I didn't know your Rivers came from Johnny, if I had been a few years older, my last name would definitely be Nelson, although I'm currently dating Kris Humphries and we are taking it slow to see where it's going. My 20 year old likes Kris also, but she's used to us liking the same guys. I've told her that Hump is too old for her!

Ricky Nelson was quite good looking in his prime, but I prefer his good friend Kent McCord of Adam-12 fame. http://blogs.villagevoice.com/dailymusto/kentricky70s.jpg

supremester
07-11-2013, 01:17 AM
were Rick and Kent friends? "FRIENDS???" Well, at least we don't have to fight over who gets who[[m)! However, the only reason I watched Adam 12 WAS yummy Kent McCord, can you guess why I watched Destry? However, I drooled at the last 5 minutes of Ozzie & Harriet every week - although I was 4 and didn't exactly know why I was drooling, but I figured that out a few years later.
Ricky Nelson was quite good looking in his prime, but I prefer his good friend Kent McCord of Adam-12 fame. http://blogs.villagevoice.com/dailymusto/kentricky70s.jpg

smark21
07-11-2013, 07:55 AM
were Rick and Kent friends? "FRIENDS???" Well, at least we don't have to fight over who gets who[[m)! However, the only reason I watched Adam 12 WAS yummy Kent McCord, can you guess why I watched Destry? However, I drooled at the last 5 minutes of Ozzie & Harriet every week - although I was 4 and didn't exactly know why I was drooling, but I figured that out a few years later.

Well if you have the cable channel ME TV, you can watch Adam 12 repeats and savor Mr. McCord. The show is also on Hula. As for me, I bought all 7 seasons of Adam 12 on DVD,lol. McCord was on Ozzie and Harriet as one of Ricky’s frat brothers, which is how they became friends.