PDA

View Full Version : New book out on "Dancing in the Streets"

test

smark21
07-05-2013, 07:32 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/books/ready-for-a-brand-new-beat-looks-at-a-martha-reeves-oldie.html?ref=arts

Motown4Ever518
07-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Not one of my all time favorite songs, I will purchase when the price is right, if I can't wait till then, there is always the local library. The reference to the dish cleaning scene in the movie "The Big Chill", was I believe the Temptations "Ain't To Proud To Beg". When people who get paid to review, don't double check facts, it diminishes the music, and insults the audience.

nabob
07-05-2013, 07:07 PM
When people who get paid to review, don't double check facts, it diminishes the music, and insults the audience.Reading the article, the uninitiated who weren't around would never know that Mickey Stevenson and Ivy Hunter also had their hands in this masterpiece. The lesson is "believe half of what you see and little of what you read".

Motown4Ever518
07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Agreed. Since the review was in the NY Times, I am sure the Times management would have covered the purchase of the reviewer going to see Motown The Musical, the relevance being that here we are all these years later enjoying this song on "The Great White Way". Who knew?

milven
07-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Reading the article, the uninitiated who weren't around would never know that Mickey Stevenson and Ivy Hunter also had their hands in this masterpiece. The lesson is "believe half of what you see and little of what you read".

In today's paper, I was reading an interview with the author and he does mention Mickey Stevenson and Ivory Joe Hunter in the interview. He also gave an interesting back story on how Martha accidently recorded the song which was meant for someone else.

I did not know this thread was here or I would have posted his comments here instead of starting a new thread.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?9522-Martha-amp-Vandellas-Got-to-Record-amp-Relase-DANCING-IN-THE-STREET-By-Accident