PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross Project: Red Hot Rhythm & Blue TV Special

test

jobeterob
07-03-2013, 01:22 PM
DIANA ROSS PROJECT
A TRACK-BY-TRACK ANALYSIS OF THE DIVA'S DISCOGRAPHY
Main menuSkip to contentHomeMY PLACE: About Me/ContactPost navigation← Older postsJun

Diana Ross: Red Hot Rhythm & Blues [[1987 Television Special)

Although Diana Ross is an acknowledged master of live performance, an award-winning actress, and – of course – one of the most successful vocalists in the history of recorded music, her achievements in television have often been overlooked in recent years. There’s an understandable reason for this; while her movies are available on DVD and the majority of her solo albums easily obtainable, her landmark television specials have been largely unseen since initial airing. This is unfortunate; beginning with 1971’s Diana! and continuing through the next several decades, Miss Ross created some striking and creatively challenging programs for the small screen, often to critical acclaim and big ratings.

Diana Ross: Red Hot Rhythm & Blues was, perhaps, Miss Ross’s last great television special, an interesting mix of music, fiction and documentary that bridged her early, acting-focused specials and her later taped-concert programs. Aired in May of 1987 to promote her final RCA album [[of the same title), the special was billed as a celebration of R&B music. In a way, it is; Miss Ross performs some nice soul classics [[including songs not featured on the album) and gives an overview of the story of popular African-American music from gospel to rap. However, she certainly doesn’t eschew pop music, offering stunningly staged performances of songs including Leonard Cohen’s “Summertime” and Bob Dylan’s “Forever Young” — not to mention the pop ballad and then-current single “Tell Me Again” — along the way.

The real treat for fans in Red Hot… is that we get double the Diana; Diana Ross plays dual roles in the hour-long special. Along with being Diana Ross “the Star” [[looking about as glamorous and gorgeous as she ever did during the 1980s), she’s also playing Bertie Pickett, a fictional R&B pioneer visiting Diana Ross during the filming of the special. In full age-makeup and grey wig, Miss Ross convincingly plays the wise old women looking back on her own career. There are some incredibly touching moments [[albeit some awfully corny ones, too) as Bertie Pickett remembers both the successes and disappointments of her life. It may be a “minor” acting performance, but it’s a strong one, and continued evidence of her skills as an actress.

The highlights here are many; for fans of the Diana Ross discography, it’s nice to hear some rare songs here that never show up anywhere else. She sings a spirited, full-bodied version of Arthur Conley’s “Sweet Soul Music” – a performance so good that it easily deserved as place on the namesake album. She is really belting here, displaying a lot of fire exactly where fire is needed [[seriously — why didn’t this song show up on the album instead of something like “Stranger In Paradise,” which conceptually didn’t fit at all?). She and Billy Dee Williams also do an energetic, razzle-dazzle version of “Baby, You’ve Got What It Takes,” a song that, interestingly, had been recorded by the Supremes and Four Tops shortly after Diana left the group [[Diana shines here, while Billy pretty much talks his way through this one, but it’s a thrill to see the duo together more than a decade after they co-starred in Mahogany). She and Broadway legend Bernadette Peters both turn in versions of “Tweedle Dee” for a nice segment illustrating the practice of white artists recording competing versions of African-American recordings.

The major musical highlight here, however, is Diana’s stunning rendition of the gospel song “Ninety-Nine And A Half” alongside a full choir and the legendary Little Richard. This is one of the great hidden treasures of Diana’s recording career, a rip-roaring vocal workout that proves the incredible power and range she possesses – but doesn’t always choose to display. It’s obvious Miss Ross must have liked her performance on this song, too – she later featured it on her 4-CD box set Forever Diana: Musical Memoirs.

While the TV special didn’t do much to help the album [[first single “Dirty Looks” missed the pop charts, despite its video being prominently featured here), it remains an incredibly successful document of Diana Ross’s talent for music and performance. She is both funny and moving here, not to mention in fine voice throughout. There’s a long list of guest stars, too, including Etta James and LL Cool J, which makes it enjoyable viewing. It’s the kind of TV special that really only could have been made when it was – and will never be made again – which is exactly why Diana Ross: Red Hot Rhythm & Blues deserves to be preserved and made available to the public again.

By Paul • Posted in Television Special • Tagged Diana Ross: Red Hot Rhythm & Blues [[1987 Television Special)

Methuselah2
07-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks for posting this review, Jobeterob. A very interesting read.

motownlover1964
07-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Hello Board,

I found a website that offers a lot of DVDs/CDs as respects Diana. I bought the DVD of "Red Hot Rhythm and Blues" a year or so ago. The quality was quite good. My copy contained all the commercials but easy enough to fast forward through them. I remember seeing this when it was first on the air, taped it and somewhere along the way lost the tape. It was really good to see it again.

The link is below:
http://www.ioffer.com/search/items/diana%20ross%20dvd

You have to create an account with "ioffer" but it was hassle free and easy to set up.

Kamasu_Jr
07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
IOffer is a great source to find things. If fans stop in there and do searches for Diana Ross, the Supremes or dozens of other artists, they will be surprised at what they will find being offered. But some more advice, the more you pay for an item, the better quality it will probably be. If you get something cheap, you will get what you pay for. And read the se'ller reviews and ratings.

jobeterob
07-04-2013, 02:02 AM
From another poster:

It was also nominated for 4 Emmys and won two.

It also won its time slot in the Neilsen Ratings.

Diana had already announced to RCA that she was not interested in resigning so that's probably why "Dirty Looks" was not promoted at radio.

Oddly, they then released "Tell Me Again" as a single supposedly due to some radio programmers reacting to it as she closed the special.

supremester
07-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Oh, is THAT why they released Tell Me Again? My bf and I always thought someone at RCA had early on-set Alzheimer's. I guess they had to release SOMETHING, but there are no radio friendly tracks on the set, except Dirty looks for R&B. I think Shine and Summertime had the best chances to go Hot 100 - and then only very poor chances at that. I enjoyed a lot of the show and applaud Miss Ross, The Queen Supreme of All Things Supreme, for bringing attention to the racism so prevalent in the music industry.

jobeterob
07-04-2013, 11:19 AM
They had to be nuts to think Tell Me Again would be a big hit. Shine or Summertime were better choices.

But Diana had a 25 year run of hits, was 43 years old, had been around forever ~ she was "old" and that's tough to be in the music industry.

reese
07-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I thought RCA released TELL ME AGAIN because Diana had a special attachment to the song, as it was written by her minister, Wintley Phipps, and performed at her wedding to Arne Naess.

In any event, I love the song, but don't think of it as a single. RCA [[or Diana) was stupid not to release the Luther Vandross song ITS HARD FOR ME TO SAY. It might not have crossed over, but after the #12 placing of DIRTY LOOKS, I think R&B radio would have jumped on it.

JohnnyB
07-04-2013, 04:30 PM
I thought RCA released TELL ME AGAIN because Diana had a special attachment to the song, as it was written by her minister, Wintley Phipps, and performed at her wedding to Arne Naess.

In any event, I love the song, but don't think of it as a single. RCA [[or Diana) was stupid not to release the Luther Vandross song ITS HARD FOR ME TO SAY. It might not have crossed over, but after the #12 placing of DIRTY LOOKS, I think R&B radio would have jumped on it.

R&B radio stations in Dallas played It's Hard For Me often after the album's released. I KNEW it would be released as the next single... And was shocked beyond belief when TMA was chosen.

jobeterob
07-04-2013, 07:54 PM
It's Hard For Me To Say was always very popular; I dont care for that kind of Diana Ross song. I'm not sure it would have been a hit but it would have definitely been better than Tell Me Again.

If I had made the choice, I would have chose Shine; then likely It's Hard For Me To Say even though I don't like it and then Summertime.

The best song by a long way is Summertime but I don't know that it was ever single material for the radio.

alanbill1074
07-05-2013, 03:57 AM
The Shep Pettibone mixes of Shockwaves were amazing but completely lost on the public. There was no push on them at all, and it was an obvious attempt to mimic Chain Reaction.

I could understand why it was passed over in the US given Chain didn't do much there, but in the UK it should have been huge instead of stiffing at #76. I just don't remember it getting any airplay and the absence of a video was a big mistake. I guess by then everyone was beyond caring about making the project a success.

Tell Me Again was a very poor single choice. I love the album as a collective but it definitely wasn't a project made with an eye on the singles market.

ejluther
07-05-2013, 09:54 AM
The Shep Pettibone mixes of Shockwaves were amazing Any chance you know where I can find these [[in a digital format)? I've never had much luck trying to track them down...

JohnnyB
07-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Any chance you know where I can find these [[in a digital format)? I've never had much luck trying to track them down...

The mention of Shockwaves reminded me of another curiosity regarding the choice of singles for RHR&B - Mr. Lee! Does anyone believe this was a good choice for single release? A song ultimately omitted from the US LP release becomes a single release in the UK? The Shockwaves remix was a much better choice IMO.