PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue July 2, 9P-12M ET: 14 Years and I've never done a tribute to her!

test

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Howdy, "Nightflight" Listeners! Well...as the headline says..."Nightflight" has been on the air for 14 years. I've done tributes to many great artists of the '60s, and '70s over the years...but I totally missed this remarkable lady. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it just wasn't time. But now it is! The Lady? The Queen Of Soul....Aretha Franklin!! I'll be covering Aretha's music from Columbia and before...and into Atlantic and Arista. This Lady has a quite a long career as we know....and I'll try to address it all...or as much as I can...tonight...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)
Thanks!
John

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Please note...I didn't mention that WOMR has a new webpage and the sound is even better ...www.womr.org And with this change, our podcasts are unlimited ...so over the next few weeks or so, I will be putting back up the "Nightflight" interviews in podcast! Thanks! John

RossHolloway
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Oh, wow this should be a great show. Aretha and brown liquor got me thru some dark days of graduate school at Marquette lol. I don't know if I have enough liquor on hand to get me thru 3 hours tonight. If you're taking song request please play: Good to Me As I Am to You off her Lady Soul album, Prove It from Aretha Arrives and Tracks of My Tears off her Soul 69 album. Those three songs always do it for me.

R. Mark Desjardins
07-02-2013, 02:13 PM
John, this sounds like a fantastic sonic journey you are about to take us on this evening. Hopefully you will have some Aretha extended mixes that you put together to add to our listening pleasure. I have always been fascinated by Aretha's greatly under appreciated "One Step Ahead," recorded while she was on Columbia Records.

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Oh, wow this should be a great show. Aretha and brown liquor got me thru some dark days of graduate school at Marquette lol. I don't know if I have enough liquor on hand to get me thru 3 hours tonight. If you're taking song request please play: Good to Me As I Am to You off her Lady Soul album, Prove It from Aretha Arrives and Tracks of My Tears off her Soul 69 album. Those three songs always do it for me.
Rossholloway....great tracks you requested...and you'll hear them! Thanks!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 03:14 PM
John, this sounds like a fantastic sonic journey you are about to take us on this evening. Hopefully you will have some Aretha extended mixes that you put together to add to our listening pleasure. I have always been fascinated by Aretha's greatly under appreciated "One Step Ahead," recorded while she was on Columbia Records. Mark....thanks for your request...a lovely song I had never heard....I'll definitely play it for you. Remixes? I only have 2...but I'll play them...thanks for asking, my friend!

dba
07-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Great news about the reboot of the WOMR web site. Now I can listen to your interviews as podcasts! Hope you are having a great summer.

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 04:55 PM
From Jimmy's Webb to Aretha's Franklin, that's Nightflight! Good music from all corners of the globe [[not that a globe actually has corners). Would love to hear "Lee Cross" from the Columbia years and "Angel" from the Atlantic years. And of course "Ain't No Way"!:cool:

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Hee hee....globe.....corners....love it!! I got your requests in the oven now....thanks, my friend!!

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Hee hee....globe.....corners....love it!! I got your requests in the oven now....thanks, my friend!!

Nothin' says lovin' like something from the oven!:)

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Great news about the reboot of the WOMR web site. Now I can listen to your interviews as podcasts! Hope you are having a great summer.dba...yes!!! Sort of exciting. Thanks....hope your summer is great for you...but then, you are in NYC....how could it not be!

Glenpwood
07-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Wow! When John announced an Aretha tribute I Jump[[ed) To It because he always works overtime to Get It Right. I'll be here at nine to get the 411 on the hot grooves he's worked up this week! See y'all on the Freeway Of Love in a bit!:D

MotownLover
07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Duper John! Should be a Franklinastic show tonight!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Wow! When John announced an Aretha tribute I Jump[[ed) To It because he always works overtime to Get It Right. I'll be here at nine to get the 411 on the hot grooves he's worked up this week! See y'all on the Freeway Of Love in a bit!:D

Glen Wood...you just CAN'T be beat......glad you're hear!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Duper John! Should be a Franklinastic show tonight!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

Howard...GREAT that you're here.....No...YOU are Arethrilling!

Glenpwood
07-02-2013, 09:19 PM
I tend to always hear En Vogue's version of Giving Him Something He Can Feel instead of Aretha's version on the radio these days so this reminds me what a fantastic and definitive version she did of this....

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Along with Jimmy Mack and Nathan Jones, there was Lee Cross! Thanks John!:cool:

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 09:27 PM
I tend to always hear En Vogue's version of Giving Him Something He Can Feel instead of Aretha's version on the radio these days so this reminds me what a fantastic and definitive version she did of this....

Glen....I wholeheartedly [[great Scrabble word) agree with you!!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Along with Jimmy Mack and Nathan Jones, there was Lee Cross! Thanks John!:cool:

No Johnny Raven??

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 09:33 PM
"Lee Cross" was recorded in New York on February 8, 1964 and first released in 1965.

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 09:34 PM
"Lee Cross" was recorded in New York on February 8, 1964 and first released in 1965.

Thank you!

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 09:37 PM
No Johnny Raven??

Don't forget John Henry!:D And think there was quite a few of those guys. Can we say Johnny Angel? He was the leader of the pack!:p

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Don't forget John Henry!:D And think there was quite a few of those guys. Can we say Johnny Angel? He was the leader of the pack!:p

But he would get so angry!!!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 09:39 PM

And SOOOO many Bills...Laura's and JMC's and the 5th Dimensions'

kenneth
07-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Just tuning in...

If you haven't played "Take a Look," would you be able to?

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Just tuning in...

If you haven't played "Take a Look," would you be able to?

Welcome Kenneth!! Haven't played it....but i will add it to the list for you...surely!

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 09:52 PM
And SOOOO many Bills...Laura's and JMC's and the 5th Dimensions'

But Bill never seems to have a last name?:confused:

kenneth
07-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Love that "Baby Baby Baby" song...sounds like Carolyn Franklin in the background. I think she wrote some songs that Aretha sang, on her early Atlantic albums.

kenneth
07-02-2013, 09:56 PM
I love her Columbia material though when I was young I thought it was awful. But I've come to really appreciate it and the way she approached the standards. I guess she can sing anything.

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 09:58 PM
But Bill never seems to have a last name?:confused:

Well...there's "Carousel"s Billy Bigalow's "My Boy Bill"

Kamasu_Jr
07-02-2013, 10:08 PM
How to Murder Your Wife?

carole cucumber
07-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Master of Eyes [[The Deepness Of Your Eyes) is track #10 on the Hey Hey Hey The Other Side Of The Sky album.

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 10:10 PM
The unedidted version of "Chain Of Fools" was the version that was used on the quad album Best of Aretha. In the quad version prominent horns were added.

R. Mark Desjardins
07-02-2013, 10:12 PM
John;
You've certainly have a groove going on tonight with your spotlight on Aretha. Aretha's most recent recording on her own label, "A Woman Falling Out Of Love," which had an undetected defect in the initial manufacturing process, and caused a recall, effected sales. In my opinion, this recording has a lot to offer and it unfortunately fell between the cracks. If you ever get a chance to hear it, you'll be amazed! Meanwhile, a great show!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 10:24 PM
How to Murder Your Wife?

............................Huh?

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Master of Eyes [[The Deepness Of Your Eyes) is track #10 on the Hey Hey Hey The Other Side Of The Sky album.

Thanks so much, Carole!!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 10:27 PM
The unedidted version of "Chain Of Fools" was the version that was used on the quad album Best of Aretha. In the quad version prominent horns were added.

Thank you, Joseph!!!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 10:28 PM
John;
You've certainly have a groove going on tonight with your spotlight on Aretha. Aretha's most recent recording on her own label, "A Woman Falling Out Of Love," which had an undetected defect in the initial manufacturing process, and caused a recall, effected sales. In my opinion, this recording has a lot to offer and it unfortunately fell between the cracks. If you ever get a chance to hear it, you'll be amazed! Meanwhile, a great show!

Thank you, Mark!!!!

carole cucumber
07-02-2013, 10:34 PM
How about 'First Snow In Kokomo' also from "Young, Gifted & Black'?

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 10:42 PM
How about 'First Snow In Kokomo' also from "Young, Gifted & Black'?

Sure, Carole....you're on the list!!!

R. Mark Desjardins
07-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks for playing Aretha's "One Step Ahead." Amazingly, this single never made it on any of her Columbia albums. However it was finally included as an "extra" on the recent Aretha Columbia boxset. Check out the many hip-hop remixes of his posted on youtube. Proving that Aretha has always been "one step ahead!"

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks for playing Aretha's "One Step Ahead." Amazingly, this single never made it on any of her Columbia albums. However it was finally included as an "extra" on the recent Aretha Columbia boxset. Check out the many hip-hop remixes of his posted on youtube. Proving that Aretha has always been "one step ahead!"

Check and double check!

RossHolloway
07-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Finally! Thanks MJ!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Finally! Thanks MJ!

Mr Patience!!! And I mean that! [[*smile)

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Such a beautiful song. Thank you John!:cool:

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Such a beautiful song. Thank you John!:cool:

My pleasure, my fine bucko!

RossHolloway
07-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Oh...Midnight.. I just got your Soul 69 joke..I'm telling Ms. Franklin about you when I see her.

RossHolloway
07-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Aretha's Columbia material makes me think that they were trying to turn her into a cross between a Dionne Warwick and a Nancy Wilson. It's nice, but I think the true Aretha shows up in her early work at Atlantic.

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 11:04 PM
John, "Love All The Hurt Away" is the duet Aretha did with George Benson, that I was trying to think of.:cool:

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Oh...Midnight.. I just got your Soul 69 joke..I'm telling Ms. Franklin about you when I see her.

I don't know WHAT you're talking about, Rossholloway. [[*wink)

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:14 PM
John, "Love All The Hurt Away" is the duet Aretha did with George Benson, that I was trying to think of.:cool:

Thanks, Joe!

carole cucumber
07-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Thanks for Kokomo.

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 11:15 PM
"Church. Take you home". - Piano Man

carole cucumber
07-02-2013, 11:16 PM
How about I Knew You Were Waiting [[For Me).

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks for Kokomo.

No, Carole.....thank YOU for "Kokomo".....it was perfect. You know...every now and then....there's a perfect song....that is one of them. I really appreciate it!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:21 PM
"Church. Take you home". - Piano Man

....................[[*smile)

carole cucumber
07-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Since you're on the duet portion of the show, 'It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be " [[with Whitney) might be a good follow-up

RossHolloway
07-02-2013, 11:25 PM
A version of I'm Wandering is used in a Lexus car commercial that was on tv just recently. The version is by Kristina Train and it's quite exceptional. I didn't know that it was co-written by BG!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Since you're on the duet portion of the show, 'It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be " [[with Whitney) might be a good follow-up

I think I'm overbooked......

carole cucumber
07-02-2013, 11:39 PM
'So Swell When You're Well'- a great Fats Domino cover

Glenpwood
07-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Amazing lineup tonight as always John, gotta check out after Angel finishes due to early work meeting, have a great holiday and weekend! Take care everybody!

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Painfully beautiful. Thanks John.:cool:

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Folks....this show has been such a pleasure for me....your requests were all so amazing ....really touching.....I thank you for being there....couldn't do it without you....have a great week!!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Painfully beautiful. Thanks John.:cool:

Oh...Joe.....i knowwwwwwww.............

kenneth
07-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks Johnny! Great show as always. The versatility of Aretha is amazing. I have to start playing more of her music again.

carole cucumber
07-02-2013, 11:46 PM
I think I'm overbooked......

Then please consider it for your Aretha Tribute part 2... and Border Song [[Holy Moses). I know it's Aretha's night, but i wonder if there's a Jean Terrell & the Andantes/Supremes version of this Elton John/ Bernie Taupin composition in the vaults.

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Amazing lineup tonight as always John, gotta check out after Angel finishes due to early work meeting, have a great holiday and weekend! Take care everybody!

Glen....thanks!!!!! Have a great 4th....[[*I forgot!!)

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks Johnny! Great show as always. The versatility of Aretha is amazing. I have to start playing more of her music again.

Thank, Kenneth!!!!!

midnight johnny
07-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Then please consider it for your Aretha Tribute part 2... and Border Song [[Holy Moses). I know it's Aretha's night, but i wonder if there's a Jean Terrell & the Andantes/Supremes version of this Elton John/ Bernie Taupin composition in the vaults.

I'll be we can find out who knows [[*wink)

sophisticated_soul
07-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Unexpectedly delightful! Another one out of the park! Thank you mi amigo. Thanks to all and everyone have a safe and happy 4th.:cool:

midnight johnny
07-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Unexpectedly delightful! Another one out of the park! Thank you mi amigo. Thanks to all and everyone have a safe and happy 4th.:cool:Thank YOU too, Joseph....Happy Independence Day!!

Kamasu_Jr
07-03-2013, 09:41 PM
............................Huh?

You know I was going to throw one at you from left field! Aretha recorded this back in her Columbia days. There was a film with Jack Lemmon with the same title. I don't know if there's a connection. It's a funny song and Ree sings the hell out of it. It can be found on her Complete Columbia box.

midnight johnny
07-03-2013, 10:21 PM
You know I was going to throw one at you from left field! Aretha recorded this back in her Columbia days. There was a film with Jack Lemmon with the same title. I don't know if there's a connection. It's a funny song and Ree sings the hell out of it. It can be found on her Complete Columbia box.I wished you had clarified....I would have found it and played it!

Kamasu_Jr
07-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Check it out on the Columbia box, then you can play it on Aretha Part II.

midnight johnny
07-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Check it out on the Columbia box, then you can play it on Aretha Part II.

Well...thank you, Kamasu Jr!