PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Quitters: Should They Have Quit?

test

jobeterob
10-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Celebrity QuittersRelated: WW Features, Beyonce, Jessica Biel, Katherine Heigl, Katie Holmes, Megan Fox, Keanu Reeves

Quitter: Diana Ross

What she quit: The Supremes

Should she have?

Totally, both because Diana Ross emerged as a cuckoo-fantastic superstar and because we would never have gotten "Dreamgirls" had she not parted ways with The Supremes. Ross then conquered cinema as well, overall becoming one of the biggest celebrities of the century. A no-brainer.

abfan
10-20-2010, 02:26 AM
DR maybe too soon......Chaka Khan....was a good decision to quit and go solo

arrr&bee
10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey fun post...ben e king-the drifters,he most likely would've gone solo at some point,but being grossly underpaid made his decision that much easier...smokey robinson-the miracles,i was both surprised and saddened when smokey left the group although they both had success together they might still be churning out hits...curtis mayfield-the impressions,curtis could have stayed because the impressions were never the same without him!

jobeterob
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
I should have posted the URL. Here it is:

http://wonderwall.msn.com/tv/celebrity-quitters-9768.gallery

topdiva1
10-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Did anyone quit a group and fail badly?

jobeterob
10-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Have to think about that, but sadly, not much happened for David Ruffin; Kendricks did quite a bit better. But........he didn't quit did he!

jillfoster
10-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Dean Ford. After leaving Marmalade, he didn't have any real hits... although his songs were good [[and what a goregeous ASS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbUV5pFnRs

jobeterob
10-23-2010, 12:11 AM
In the article, they mentioned some that should not have quit; but I wasn't that familiar with the crowd in their article.

I know they said Beyonce should have bailed.

jobeterob
10-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Katie Holmes and Shelley Long are two they say should not have quit.

arrr&bee
10-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Folks say that-peanut butter an jelly should have stayed together but after thier classic-[the sandwich] they split but they both do well with thire own flavor...hehehehehehhehe!!!

jillfoster
10-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I know... peanut butter and chocolate have gotten pretty popular don't you think? And i've always loved peanut butter and karo syrup.

arrr&bee
10-23-2010, 06:26 PM
i know... Peanut butter and chocolate have gotten pretty popular don't you think? And i've always loved peanut butter and karo syrup.yeah,but karo always hogs the mike!!

jobeterob
10-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Phil Collins, Sting and Frank Sinatra all should have left too.

reese
10-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Did anyone quit a group and fail badly?

Tony Williams from the Platters.

Phillippe Wynne from the Spinners, although I think he made a bit of a comeback by joining George Clinton's stable.

godofwine
12-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Have to think about that, but sadly, not much happened for David Ruffin; Kendricks did quite a bit better. But........he didn't quit did he!

I wouldn't say David Ruffin failed badly. He put out 9 solo album not including the unreleased David album. His biggest problem even while he was wit the Temptations was the drugs. He couldn't or wouldn't kick it. Had he quit the drugs even in the mid 70's when rejoining the Temptations was out of the question he would have had a long career. The fact that not only did he not kick the habit, but would miss or show up late for shows, show up late or miss rehearsals and was TOTALLY unreliable made him a liability for almost his entire career. Nobody churns out that many studio albums and is a failure as a solo act, even if the albums don't sell well.

stephanie
12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Dean Ford should have stayed with Marmalade he was awesome with that band!

luke
12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Ive always wondered why the Miracles never re-united for a tour.

jillfoster
12-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Well... even though she had some success, I would say a big, glaring example of "shouldn't have quit" would be Bonnie Pointer, don't you all think?

godofwine
12-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Ive always wondered why the Miracles never re-united for a tour.
The Miracles, maybe, but the draw was Smokey. It's like The Blowfish having a reunion tour. Hootie was the draw, and now he is doing country. A group/band without it's frontman was struggle to fill seats and won't come close because the sound that they are known for is not there. My friend went to one band in a live concert in Akron and the lead singer was either not there, quit or dead, I don't remember. Either way, he said they sucked. They were horrible. The Miracles need the money from a concert more than Smokey does.

GeeTee(HPK)
12-08-2010, 03:08 AM
James [[JT) Taylor of Kool & the Gang [[or was he asked to leave the group ? )

marxthespot_
12-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Quitter Queen....

blueskies
12-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Well... even though she had some success, I would say a big, glaring example of "shouldn't have quit" would be Bonnie Pointer, don't you all think?

I totally agree on this one. By leaving when she did, she missed out on the Pointer Sisters second wind with all that 80's-early 90's hits, video's and concerts. She had a few minor hits solo, but the Sisters were riding the crest of hit records and lots of exposure. I still keep hoping I'll see her re-unite with her sisters, even for a one-off would be cool.

topdiva1
12-27-2010, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't say David Ruffin failed badly. He put out 9 solo album not including the unreleased David album. His biggest problem even while he was wit the Temptations was the drugs. He couldn't or wouldn't kick it. Had he quit the drugs even in the mid 70's when rejoining the Temptations was out of the question he would have had a long career. The fact that not only did he not kick the habit, but would miss or show up late for shows, show up late or miss rehearsals and was TOTALLY unreliable made him a liability for almost his entire career. Nobody churns out that many studio albums and is a failure as a solo act, even if the albums don't sell well.

All of this information was well written about in Tony Turner's "DELIVER US FROM TEMPTATION" - however some people slammed his memoir, and it's facts about his relationship with his godfather David Ruffin. However it remains the best book to date on the backstage and off stage life of David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, and Dennis Edwards.

captainjames
12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Labelle broke up too soon for me, they were at their peak I think when they broke up.

topdiva1
12-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Labelle broke up too soon for me, they were at their peak I think when they broke up.

A girl here at school saw The Labelle Reunion Concert in Ft Lauderdale Fla and said it was sensational. I wonder if they realize they have a new following for the music they made as Labelle. I am surprised that music is not sampled more.

miss_lish
12-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't think their reunion was overly successful; neither was the new CD.

jobeterob
12-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I forgot about that reunion and that CD; yes, it was a flash in the pan that only lasted a couple weeks. There might be a lesson there. I think a lot of these groups are too old to make much noise anymore; Destinys Child is one thing; Labelle is another.

captainjames
12-27-2010, 09:11 PM
The reunion was good but, I was saying they quit too soon. Love all three but have been partial to Nona.

topdiva1
12-28-2010, 10:35 AM
The reunion was good but, I was saying they quit too soon. Love all three but have been partial to Nona.

Nona looks absolutely fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!