PDA

View Full Version : The Church Street Five/A NIGHT WITH DADDY "G" [[Parts 1&2)/1960 + One More Big Part

test

Methuselah2
06-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Written by:
· Gene Barge--aka Daddy "G", heard playing sax,
· Frank Guida, &
· Joseph Royster

Thank you, AmnonDooWop, for posting both Parts 1 & 2 of this sensational piece of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MisEdV89Yp8

WHICH WAS ADAPTED AND VOCALIZED WITH LYRICS INTO . . .

U.S. Bonds/QUARTER TO THREE [1961]

Written by:
· Gene Barge,
· Frank Guida,
· Gary Anderson--aka U.S. Bonds/Gary [[U.S.) Bonds/Gary "U.S." Bonds/Gary U.S. Bonds, &
· Joseph Royster

Thank you, Jrocuts, for the HQ posting of this great tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMdoX2EOqE

Nothing But Soul
06-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Great timing, Methuselah. Just yesterday morning, I heard Pat St. John play both "Quarter to Three" and "A Night With Daddy G" back to back on his 50s on 5 show on XM Radio. It was no surprise to hear "Quarter to Three" [[after all that was a number one record and they play it frequently on the 50s channel), but only Pat St. John would dig up "A Night With Daddy G" and play it.

As I understand it, "A Night With Daddy G" became quite popular in Philly, because Hi Lit, a local DJ, used it as his theme song.

Methuselah2
06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
NBS - Thanks for mentioning Pat St. John. I'm not familiar with him or his show but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Nothing But Soul
06-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Methuselah, I was glad to see you bringing attention to "A Night With Daddy G." Gene "Daddy G" Barge moved to Chicago in the mid-sixties to work for Chess Records [[session player, producer, songwriter, A&R man). I lived in Chicago for seven years in the late 70s and early 80s, and I was fortunate to see Daddy G gigging around town several times. He's still active today at the age of 86.

When it comes to Pat St. John, I'm a huge fan because I love music trivia, and he is a master at that. Pat was raised in Detroit, where he started his career as a DJ. He has satellite radio shows both weekday mornings [[except Monday) on the 50s channel [[which actually plays music up through 1963) and weekday evenings on the blues channel. Obviously, because of the hours involved, a lot of his shows must be pre-recorded rather than done live.