PDA

View Full Version : The Temptations Chronology!

test

marv2
06-23-2013, 07:18 PM
I am always coming across something interesting. Here is page detailing the Temptations chronology. Some of these groupings I wasn't aware of or had forgotten. This is the most detailed listing I've ever seen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Temptations_members

detmotownguy
06-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Nice to see that Otis' and Melvin's estate own the trademark. That way former secondary members cannot steal the legacy from a former member.

thomas96
06-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Nice to see that Otis' and Melvin's estate own the trademark. That way former secondary members cannot steal the legacy from a former member.

Does anyone know the specifics of the deal with Dennis Edwards? He tours under the name "Temptations Revue featuring Dennis Edwards" and he and Otis fought over the name for a while. I wish they would just form one "Temptations." Bruce is a great singer, but it really isn't the same without Dennis while he's still alive.

luke
06-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Why did the Temptations, Vandellas, Miracles and now the Marvelettes obtain their names and Motown prevented the same for the Supremes?

Ryon6
06-23-2013, 10:37 PM
When was Terry Weeks ever considered the lead singer? Barrington, Theo, GC and now Bruce are/were the lead singers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

marv2
06-23-2013, 10:40 PM

I was happy to see that noted. They were the longest serving members.

marv2
06-23-2013, 10:42 PM
When was Terry Weeks ever considered the lead singer? Barrington, Theo, GC and now Bruce are/were the lead singers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would not even be able to recognize Terry Weeks' voice. I did not know he was a designated lead singer.

luke
06-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Why did Richard Street leave? If Ricky Owens had been successful in the Vibrations, what happened in the Tempts? He performed once, correct?

Kamasu_Jr
06-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Otis gives an account in his autobiography of why Ricky Owens didn't work out. But it's Otis' point of view.

marybrewster
06-24-2013, 01:10 PM
I'd be interested to know what provisions have been made in the event of Otis Williams' passing. I suppose the Temptations will continue, with Ron Tyson as the anchor of the group?

Interestingly; in just a few short years, Ron Tyson will have been with the Temptations longer than Melvin Franklin.

marv2
06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Why did Richard Street leave? If Ricky Owens had been successful in the Vibrations, what happened in the Tempts? He performed once, correct?

Richard became ill. He was admitted via a hospital emergency room. He had to have 17 gall stones removed.

Otis was very angry that Richard had missed a show. When he was able to reach Richard [[not knowing he had gone through surgery) he cursed him out! I mean really chewed his out for missing a show.

Afterwards, Richard felt that Otis' lack of compassion was enough to resign from the group in 1992!

zebop
06-24-2013, 03:45 PM
The 1988-1992 lineup was the last Temptations group to me. Even since then, something has been missing somewhere...

I think a Ali-Ollie Woodson, Terry Weeks, Otis Williams, Harry McGilberry and Ron Tyson lineup would have been good.

dvus7
06-24-2013, 06:13 PM
I'd be interested to know what provisions have been made in the event of Otis Williams' passing. I suppose the Temptations will continue, with Ron Tyson as the anchor of the group?

Interestingly; in just a few short years, Ron Tyson will have been with the Temptations longer than Melvin Franklin.

IF that happens!!!I'm pretty sure that the "respective" estates will still control the name "Temptations" and allow Ron Tyson a "license" to tour with the name!! AGAIN, IF that happens!!!

bradsupremes
06-24-2013, 06:25 PM
The 1988-1992 lineup was the last Temptations group to me. Even since then, something has been missing somewhere...

After seeing them perform on "Dancing With The Stars" last year they've become nothing but a shadow of their former self. Let's just say I'm not impressed.

I always laughed at how people got on Mary Wilson's case about having a revolving door of Supremes, yet Otis Williams allowed the revolving door to spin like crazy. 22 Temptations!

Kamasu_Jr
06-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Did Richard Street ever go on record about why he left or was dismissed from the Temptations? I don't suspect Otis Williams ever said what happened.

marv2
06-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Did Richard Street ever go on record about why he left or was dismissed from the Temptations? I don't suspect Otis Williams ever said what happened.

Richard became ill. He was admitted via a hospital emergency room. He had to have 17 gall stones removed.

Otis was very angry that Richard had missed a show. When he was able to reach Richard [[not knowing he had gone through surgery) he cursed him out! I mean really chewed his out for missing a show.

Afterwards, Richard felt that Otis' lack of compassion was enough to resign from the group in 1992!

Kamasu_Jr
06-24-2013, 08:00 PM
And I assume this came from Richard Street?

marv2
06-24-2013, 08:36 PM
And I assume this came from Richard Street?

Yes! That is how he explained it to his family some of whom I know personally and for about 40 years now.

dvus7
06-24-2013, 08:47 PM

I always felt that the absense of Melvin had something to do with Mr. Sreet leaving!!!!!

marv2
06-24-2013, 09:32 PM
I always felt that the absense of Melvin had something to do with Mr. Sreet leaving!!!!!

No, in the case of Richard it was either quit or be fired. Otis rules with an iron fist. That's why everyone is gone from the group [[in my opinion.......)

TheMotownManiac
06-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Because a Motown employee came up with the name on company time. Had Mary enlisted the help of The Supreme Supreme, Original Founding Member, Group Leader and Voice Of The Hit's: and Diana Ross plus founding member Flo Ballard together, they may have had a case for joint ownership. I'm sure Berry's thinking was "why would the name only belong to Mary? There were four Supremes at the time.
Why did the Temptations, Vandellas, Miracles and now the Marvelettes obtain their names and Motown prevented the same for the Supremes?

marv2
06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Because a Motown employee came up with the name on company time. Had Mary enlisted the help of The Supreme Supreme, Original Founding Member, Group Leader and Voice Of The Hit's: and Diana Ross plus founding member Flo Ballard together, they may have had a case for joint ownership. I'm sure Berry's thinking was "why would the name only belong to Mary? There were four Supremes at the time.

None of what you just wrote is true. Oh and all Janie Bradford did was put a bunch of names in a bowl. "The Supremes" name had already been in the public domain and used by other groups , one was male. Berry was thinking....... LOL!!!!!!

luke
06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Ruby and Romatics had been initially called the Supremes. as well as a male gospel group.

marv2
06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Ruby and Romatics had been initially called the Supremes. as well as a male gospel group.

That is very true. This guy is on the wrong board. This is a Motown Forum yet he constantly tries to degrade and devalue the accomplishments of some of Motown's biggest stars, artists etc. Can you help me understand that?

jobeterob
06-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Marv, no one could help you understand; you know it all already. MM just doesn't buy your version. It's kind of like Republican vs Democrat; all the positions are already staked out.

Otis and Melvin's estate will never let go of rights to the name Temptations. Royalties from CD sales are minimal these days but touring and the rights to use the name have some value. No one is naïve about giving up rights any more.

Mary Wilson gave up rights to the name Supremes to Motown/Universal. They know the value of the name too and allow anyone that had any connection to the name to exploit it ~ and perhaps sell some music. Hence, if you were related to somebody that sang behind the curtains, you can now appear in parking lots and old folks homes using the name if you'd like.

luke
06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Marv sorry I cant. Dont get it. Well maybe I do but Im trying not to go there. Youd think with Ralph moving and all this kind of thing could cease at least for awhile.

dvus7
06-25-2013, 01:36 PM

@MotownManiac...How and why did you turn this "temptations" conversation to a "supremes" conversation??? I think that you are "out of order!!"

marv2
06-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Marv sorry I cant. Dont get it. Well maybe I do but Im trying not to go there. Youd think with Ralph moving and all this kind of thing could cease at least for awhile.

Luke, no problem buddy. It would take some sort of scientist or psychologist to explain this strange behavior here. I don't hold out much luck for any type of clinical explaination soon..........LOL! The people that start all this stuff about who isn't on Supremes records don't care about Ralph! What they care about is belittling the accomplishments of some very hardworking, talented people in order to build up one who's career died years ago!

marv2
06-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Exactly, so it was not like Janie came up with that name from scratch!

marv2
06-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Marv, no one could help you understand; you know it all already. MM just doesn't buy your version. It's kind of like Republican vs Democrat; all the positions are already staked out.

Otis and Melvin's estate will never let go of rights to the name Temptations. Royalties from CD sales are minimal these days but touring and the rights to use the name have some value. No one is naïve about giving up rights any more.

Mary Wilson gave up rights to the name Supremes to Motown/Universal. They know the value of the name too and allow anyone that had any connection to the name to exploit it ~ and perhaps sell some music. Hence, if you were related to somebody that sang behind the curtains, you can now appear in parking lots and old folks homes using the name if you'd like.

You are right about Otis Williams and David English' [[aka Melvin Frankin's) estates not giving up the name "The Temptations" anytime soon.

But no, Mary did not give up rights to the name "Supremes to Universal/Motown". She came to an "understanding" with Berry Gordy in 1990 [[before Universal ever came into the picture), giving up the rights at that time.

jobeterob
06-25-2013, 06:33 PM
And Berry/Motown gave it up to Universal. So, that is who has the "word" now.

marv2
06-25-2013, 07:31 PM
And Berry/Motown gave it up to Universal. So, that is who has the "word" now.

Exactly...........

I think Berry still had control of the name when MCA/Boston Ventures bought Motown Records from him in 1988.

zebop
06-27-2013, 01:02 AM
After seeing them perform on "Dancing With The Stars" last year they've become nothing but a shadow of their former self. Let's just say I'm not impressed.

I always laughed at how people got on Mary Wilson's case about having a revolving door of Supremes, yet Otis Williams allowed the revolving door to spin like crazy. 22 Temptations!

It's a lot of Temptations, a lot. I'm barely interested in them, they've been making wrong moves for quite some time.

TheMotownManiac
06-27-2013, 02:59 AM
EVERYTHING I write is true. ALWAYS. If I am speculating, I will say so. This WAS Berry's argument and it IS what won the suit for MCA. You may not like it, but Janie Bradford "provided" the name to Flo and that is that, fair or not. What is totally untrue is what you posted yesterday in the Jean Terrell thread [[comment #64) "Yes after years and years and millions of dollars, Mary struck a deal with the devil in 1990 hehehehehehehe bub bah to the "Supremes" name for a good chunk of money. " that is YOUR quote and it totally untrue - so untrue, that you have stated just the opposite on the same subject today. Now personally, I don't care one way or another. I could list a top 50 of similar statements of questionable veracity by you - but hell, that's part of your charm! I only bring this up as you accused me of posting falsehoods and, really, that's your specialty if it is anyone's. But I tell ya what, you don't accuse me of lying without proof, and I won't provide proof of yours - fair enough? As REDHOT says, "Please stay positive" .......as Roberta says, "Yours with every good wish" .......... as Diana Ross says, "Go for your dreams - they're YOURS - just reach!" ..... as Mary Wilson says, "Please keep Diane and me out of your petty squabbles" as Dionne Warwick said [[when Carol Bayer sager and Liz suggested donating the proceeds of TWFAF to AMFAR) "Do I have to? I just gave to 'We Are The World!"
None of what you just wrote is true. Oh and all Janie Bradford did was put a bunch of names in a bowl. "The Supremes" name had already been in the public domain and used by other groups , one was male. Berry was thinking....... LOL!!!!!!

TheMotownManiac
06-27-2013, 03:11 AM
Everything I have said is about Motown - nothing but. I'll help you understand, but first you have to know what Motown IS , I guess because this is about the ownership of the name Supremes [[a Motown group) Mary Wilson [[a Motown artist 34 years ago) ............ Please tell me which of Motown's greatest stars and artists I am constantly degrading and provide an example for all to see or rethink your misstatement. Now YOU, FREQUENTLY degrade Motown's biggest female star ever and a global pop icon. Maybe you should try to understand THAT and hold yourself to the same standard to which you try, unsuccessfully, to apply to others.
That is very true. This guy is on the wrong board. This is a Motown Forum yet he constantly tries to degrade and devalue the accomplishments of some of Motown's biggest stars, artists etc. Can you help me understand that?

TheMotownManiac
06-27-2013, 03:13 AM
Actually, Luke in comment #4 [[above) brought The Supremes into the convo.
@MotownManiac...How and why did you turn this "temptations" conversation to a "supremes" conversation??? I think that you are "out of order!!"

arrr&bee
06-27-2013, 12:12 PM
While i can respect otis for keeping the temps name alive i too wish that dennis would come back,we all have our favorites in anything and for me these are the temptations...eddie-david-al-paul-otis-melvin-dennis-ali-damon-glenn-richard...temptations forever!!

marv2
06-28-2013, 08:36 PM
While i can respect otis for keeping the temps name alive i too wish that dennis would come back,we all have our favorites in anything and for me these are the temptations...eddie-david-al-paul-otis-melvin-dennis-ali-damon-glenn-richard...temptations forever!!

I am in agreed with you here JAI. After the Tempts you listed left the group, I honestly lost track of the members. The last recording I have from them is "Stay". But yep, Temptations Forever!!!