PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Oct 19, 9P-12M ET: Live! Q & A with Harry Weinger!!

test

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Hey there, Folks! Join me tonight for ANOTHER visit by Harry Weinger, Vice President of A&R at Universal Music, LIVE on this very special full release day of the new Tammi Terrell compilation "Come On and See Me: The Tammi Terrell Solo Collection"!

Harry will join me to talk more about this wonderful 2 cd set that has meant so much to him, as producer and mixer. He also agreed to talk about his career and his accomplishments as a producer of so many remarkable projects and cds. Harry also has been kind enough to take questions from folks at SDF. I thought that you folks would have some great questions to ask Harry...questions I couldn't think of myself.

So please post your questions here [[and be kind...I might have to screen them if you're not) and join me for Harry's second live visit to "Nightflight"...tonight...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and 91.3 Orleans and webcasting live worldwide in digital stereo at
www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org)

And tonight...no phone calls please.
Thanks!
John

Harry Weinger in the Motown Vault

daviddh
10-19-2010, 02:45 PM
wow, sounds like a date,!!! cant wait . ahhhh , motown ,the sound of young america

RossHolloway
10-19-2010, 02:52 PM
I've got a couple of questions for HW and it goes back to something he said during his last visit about Motown Mondays. HW stated before the acts perfomed in Detroit, the acts did their show [[as a sort of warm up?) in Cleveland and that these performances were also recorded. So my questions are these: who were all the acts that performed? who opened for whom [[we know that Tammi T. opened for the Miracles)? And in the past HW had made mention of the fact that the Marvelettes performance during MM was edited for radio broadcast, so is there a complete recording of their performance from the Cleveland concert?

copley
10-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Questions for Harry.

1. Will Ashford & Simpsons 'lost' Motown album ever see the light of day or have they permanently blocked its release?

2. Will Hip-O releases ever again be sold direct from the site to the UK?

3. What's happening with TCMS12?

I hope that you will both say 'hi' to all the folks on Motown Treasures. I'll be recording the show.

Thanks.

sophisticated_soul
10-19-2010, 05:38 PM
John - Do questions for Harry have to relate to the [[superb) Tammi collection and Motown in general, or can we pick Harry's brain about other artists and labels that UMe controls?

JimBagley
10-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Can I ask Harry about the very delayed shipping and the subsequent crappy treatment I have received from Hip-O concerning the Tammi collection?

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Joe...Hey! I would think definately other artists under UMe.

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Can I ask Harry about the very delayed shipping and the subsequent crappy treatment I have received from Hip-O concerning the Tammi collection?

No Jim...sorry...I don't think that's Harry area...we are talking about music tonight...not marketing. Thanks!

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
wow, sounds like a date,!!! cant wait . ahhhh , motown ,the sound of young america

hey, Baltimore!

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I've got a couple of questions for HW and it goes back to something he said during his last visit about Motown Mondays. HW stated before the acts perfomed in Detroit, the acts did their show [[as a sort of warm up?) in Cleveland and that these performances were also recorded. So my questions are these: who were all the acts that performed? who opened for whom [[we know that Tammi T. opened for the Miracles)? And in the past HW had made mention of the fact that the Marvelettes performance during MM was edited for radio broadcast, so is there a complete recording of their performance from the Cleveland concert?

Hey there Ross!

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Questions for Harry.

1. Will Ashford & Simpsons 'lost' Motown album ever see the light of day or have they permanently blocked its release?

2. Will Hip-O releases ever again be sold direct from the site to the UK?

3. What's happening with TCMS12?

I hope that you will both say 'hi' to all the folks on Motown Treasures. I'll be recording the show.

Thanks.

Thanks Copley!

jobeterob
10-19-2010, 07:13 PM
I am still working and while I can connect again, I'm not going to make it home early enough to hear much of this. Damn!

I just wanted to say..........John Perrone, don't bail out on us totally and join that establishment! Let Jim Bagley ask his question.........just once. Harry doesn't need to be hit on the head with a hammer [[that's already been done); but one question, asked once, by one person is fair. No?

And Jim's as decent a man as you get.

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 07:16 PM
I am still working and while I can connect again, I'm not going to make it home early enough to hear much of this. Damn!

I just wanted to say..........John Perrone, don't bail out on us totally and join that establishment! Let Jim Bagley ask his question.........just once. Harry doesn't need to be hit on the head with a hammer [[that's already been done); but one question, asked once, by one person is fair. No?

And Jim's as decent a man as you get.

Rob...sorry you'll miss the show. I don't know exactly what you mean by joining the "establishment"....Jim's problem is not what Harry deals with...and, even though i sympathize with Jim's problem, this isn't a consumer compaint show. It's a music show. It's not Harry's area of expertise.

sophisticated_soul
10-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Rob...sorry you'll miss the show. I don't know exactly what you mean by joining the "establishment"....Jim's problem is not what Harry deals with...and, even though i sympathize with Jim's problem, this isn't a consumer compaint show. It's a music show. It's not Harry's area of expertise.
I think there is a big difference in "going establishment" and showing the appropriate respect one deserves. The kind of respect that you have always shown the people you interview. Jim Bagley is a very decent guy. I like him. But his issue has nothing to do with Harry.

MotownSteve
10-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi John,
Looking forward to the show.

JimBagley
10-19-2010, 08:04 PM
As Harry is pretty high up in the company, I would disagree that this is of no concern to him. Poor customer service affects current and future sales which affect the ability to create more product in the future. But I'll leave it alone. Have a great night everybody.

Jim

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
As Harry is pretty high up in the company, I would disagree that this is of no concern to him. Poor customer service affects current and future sales which affect the ability to create more product in the future. But I'll leave it alone. Have a great night everybody.

Jim

Jim...it has nothing to do with "high" in the company. It isn't his area...there is a marketing and consumer area of Universal.
It is THEIR job to deal with customer issues. And again...I am not asking Harry to share his time to talk about those kinds of issues. Sorry that you don't seem to understand....but you don't seem to understand. Enough said....sheeesh!

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi John,
Looking forward to the show.
Hey MotownSteve!

carlo
10-19-2010, 08:33 PM
In response to Jim's comments/question, I think we all have had different problems with Hip-O Select's customer service. I have made my own fair share of complaints on this forum in regards to the customer service, however, I have never placed the blame on HW or any of the other members of the team that we all love and adore [[and I mean that). I agree with M.J. They are not to blame.

I have had defective issues with Hip-O Select/Motown product on two different occasions and both times HW kindly went out of his way to help me.

My question is: What are his views on a Supremes reunion?

TOTALLY KIDDING!!! :p:p:p

Wish I could tune in tonight, but I have to go to bed, as I have an early day tomorrow. All the best...

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey, Carlo...thanks for your support...and humor! Sorry you'll miss the show. Take care...John

lovechild
10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Hey JP
Logged in and ready for HW2

Have a good show!

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Jim...I just emailed Harry....he gave this email as to where you should register your complaint/issue....
classic.motown@umusic.com
John

lovechild
10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
hey JP - say hello from rainy San Diego to Harry :)

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 09:07 PM
hey JP - say hello from rainy San Diego to Harry :)

Hey TONE! Will do! Any questions for him? I will have him for a couple of hours......

daviddh
10-19-2010, 09:13 PM
John, hello from Baltimore.! i have so many questions and i cant think of one yet! i know that doesnt make sense but it does to me.i look forward to the show with Harry. david

sophisticated_soul
10-19-2010, 09:15 PM
My question[[s) for Harry: The Orlon's final two singles were recorded for ABC Paramount. I would love to know if there is more in the vaults by The Orlons, but my question is, is there any possibility of the four released songs being put on a compilation or be made available as downloads?

daviddh
10-19-2010, 09:16 PM
actually, i do have a question. could Harry explain the process of picking what artists or artists album gets selected to be remastered and re-released. just curious. and thank Harry for bringing us the motown sound and for keeping the music alive.

lovechild
10-19-2010, 09:21 PM
mainly just congratulate Harry on the awesome work he is doing and what is in store that we might be interested in for the future?

MotownSteve
10-19-2010, 09:22 PM
? for Harry. Several years ago I email him about a Fantastic Four 2 cd set. He said it was a good idea and that has been the end of it. Any chance we will see it in the next year or less?

positivesoul
10-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Will be listening as long as possible 2nite MJ! After that will be taping. LOVED the ending on "Give In"!!! Enjoying the other cuts too.

daviddh
10-19-2010, 09:26 PM
can Harry talk about what Supremes song or songs were found for the upcoming Scherrie Payne/Supremes cd? or give us some info about the cd collection.

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Will be listening as long as possible 2nite MJ! After that will be taping. LOVED the ending on "Give In"!!! Enjoying the other cuts too.

PS....it wil be great to have you as long as you can be had, buddy! [[*chuckle)

positivesoul
10-19-2010, 09:28 PM
For HW... why haven't Hearts Of Stones been featured on any of the compilations??? Great songs! Any chance in future?? Whole cd should be officially released in US. THANKS

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Guys...thanks for the questions....keep 'em coming!!!

RossHolloway
10-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey I'm late getting home from dinner. Did he answer the question regarding Motown Mondays? Can someone fill me in?

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 09:36 PM
.....not yet..

RossHolloway
10-19-2010, 09:37 PM
New Question: Does HW decide what albums get put up on I-Tunes that aren't released in traditional cd format? And what can we look forward to in the near future?

RossHolloway
10-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Sweet! I was driving like a mad man on the highway trying to get home! Greetings from Atlanta!!

daviddh
10-19-2010, 09:53 PM
is all the motown tapes [from detroit] now in new york , or in one area now

sophisticated_soul
10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Fascinating indeed.

MotownSteve
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Hi Positivesooul,
I have the album [[cd) by Hearts of Stone, 'Stop the World: We Wanna Get On' and it does have some nice stuff. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.
Motown Steve

RossHolloway
10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
So was the Marvelettes performace in Cleveland recorded?
And did I hear correctly? More live recordings from the Velvelettes, GK & The Pips and B. Holloway? Be still my heart.

Another question: What's the status of the Lost & Found Collections? Anything on the horizon? [[hint, hint: B. Holloway)

daviddh
10-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Harry, what about any dvd releases? such as TCB w/ supremes and temptations etc..... Motown 25 ,...and others.

MotownSteve
10-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks to Harry for the explanation.

MotownSteve
10-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi John,
I don't think we will see a Lewis Sisters disc. But I do like a lot of what I've heard by them. As you may recall I do have their CD Way Out Far which has a lot of standards on it.

Motown Andy
10-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Harry and John, thank you for the shout out. I'm actually sitting here on the edge of my seat like a 14 year old, it's very exciting to listen to. My question is for John: When will he come visit us at the studio?

daviddh
10-19-2010, 11:19 PM
hello Andy!

RossHolloway
10-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Any chance to get any of Stevie's unreleased gems released?

daviddh
10-19-2010, 11:23 PM
diana lp was originally released in 1980

pj1
10-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Will Harry & team be giving us any more stripped mixes like those on the SITSOM expanded edition?

MotownSteve
10-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Ross,
If you are interested, http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/ has a lot of Stevie Wonder re-issues. Probably amazon Japan and HMV Japan also.

sophisticated_soul
10-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Thank you Harry. I found your experiences in music fascinating. Thank you for taking the time to share.

PS: Cover to cover the Tammi set is just absolutely wonderful! Everything I hoped for and more. Thank you [[and team) for making it happen.

midnight johnny
10-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Phew!!!!!!!

sophisticated_soul
10-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Phew!!!!!!!
You did good Johnny.

MotownSteve
10-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Hey John,
Another great show. Have a great week.

lovechild
10-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Awesome show JP and Thank You Harry for sharing some of your time with us tonight.

Have a great week all!

RossHolloway
10-19-2010, 11:57 PM
This set is worth the price just from the live tracks alone. WOW What a voice Tammi has live. I could only imagine being in the front row while she performed. Priceless.

sophisticated_soul
10-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Wow, that was something! Fantastic show John. Thank you everybody:-)

midnight johnny
10-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Joseph and Tony and Ross and MotownSteve and Copley and davidh and positive soul...thank you so very much...for being there....for sharing in this very exciting "Motown" experience with Harry...and for offering your questions...all which helped to make this a wonderful show for me to be part of. Thanks so much for your support.

Thanks to you, Harry...for such an exciting, educational and fun time. I am very grateful.
And thanks, Andy, for ALL you do that we know and don't know about. I'd love to come to visit. Thanks for the invite!
John

jobeterob
10-20-2010, 01:12 AM
So are the answers to these questions available anywhere?

I wish I could have listened. Of course, emailing the question was the right thing to do. The marketing issues are brutal for the guys.

hwume
10-20-2010, 01:24 AM
That was fun. Thanks everyone.

As an aside, apologies to John and the listeners for seemingly stepping on some of his comments and questions. It was not intentional; there were times when listening on my phone headset that I simply couldn't hear him.

Till next time...

HW

midnight johnny
10-20-2010, 07:47 AM
That was fun. Thanks everyone.

As an aside, apologies to John and the listeners for seemingly stepping on some of his comments and questions. It was not intentional; there were times when listening on my phone headset that I simply couldn't hear him.

Till next time...

HW

Harry....no apologies necessary...thank you...much appreciated...

copley
10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi John. Thanks for a very interesting show and for putting a couple of my questions to Harry. Have just finished listening to it and will let Motown Treasures folks know all about it and let them hear the interview upon request.

jobeterob
10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Copley...........can you post it here or a link here so we could listen. Thanks if possible.

midnight johnny
10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi John. Thanks for a very interesting show and for putting a couple of my questions to Harry. Have just finished listening to it and will let Motown Treasures folks know all about it and let them hear the interview upon request.

copley....thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for communicated to other Motown Treasures fans about it and linking it!

daviddh
10-20-2010, 03:22 PM
did i hear Harry say More Hits was the next to get the deluxe treatment?

RossHolloway
10-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Douh!! Why didn't anyone ask HW about the whole Tammi/Valerie mystery? He's heard the stripped down version of all those songs and he strikes me as a very very honest kinda guy. I would love to hear his take on things. My second thought was around the Nic and Val album that they prefer not to have ever released. Could it be because Valerie sounds too much "like Tammi" on those duets? Just my two cents... Thoughts?

RossHolloway
10-20-2010, 08:34 PM
did i hear Harry say More Hits was the next to get the deluxe treatment?

Yea, I head that too, but wouldn't sing CW&P, A Bit of Liverpool or Tribute to Sam Cooke be next logically? Or is there no material outcuts from those albums to include?

daviddh
10-20-2010, 11:05 PM
the 2 out takes from Liverpool lp are on the Lost and Found cd but there could be more? i think there is a few out takes from the We Remember Sam Cook album but i dont know what they are but it would be interesting to find out. i thought the We Remember album was on the list of albums to be reissued but ,hey ,it could show up on the More Hits Deluxe set as it was released just prior to MH. perhaps they are just going to reissiue the studio albums, but i am sure if something is found....we will eventually get to hear it

jobeterob
10-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks Copley for sharing.

RossHolloway
10-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Out takes from We Remember Sam Cooke? This is news to me...does anyone have any ideas what those tracks are? If I remember correctly the album only had 10 tracks on it...

jobeterob
10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
10 cuts on the original; I have a CD with an 11th bonus song: Good News.

jobeterob
10-24-2010, 01:14 AM
Copley...............I've downloaded both and am listening; and I just want to say I've very much enjoyed listening; it was great of you to do that.

jobeterob
10-24-2010, 01:35 AM
I love that interview; what I get out of it [[which might be wrong and might not be other people's view) is that fans, as usual, read so much into things, they think what they want to think, they make up what is blank...........and most of the time, there is just nothing to their musings.

I also picked up a line from Harry about "we'll see how things go"..........it made me think, it might be an idea to BUY some of these; more than just Diana Ross; more than just the Supremes, which sell.

John, some how, you gotta get these shows preserved; like your interviews with Scherrie and Jean; because so many of us are spread out all over the world and can't listen when you are actually "on air".

johnny_raven
10-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Jobeterob:

[[Ain't That) Good News was on the original album [[total of 11 tracks). In 1991, when the album was reissued on cassette, Good News was omitted, and added as a bonus track on the CD version.

JR

jobeterob
10-25-2010, 11:29 AM
So............is Good News originally a Sam Cooke song? Didn't know it might have been.

nomis
10-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Good News was recorded by Cooke in '64..

jobeterob
10-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks Nomis. I don't think I knew that or if I did, the song, for me, is a Florence song and I had forgotten.

I will have to find and post Sam's Good News from Youtube and we'll see who had the definitive version. Kind of hoping for Blondie here............

luke
10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
John--Im a fan of your shows but you were hard on Jim. He said he did understand and have a great show!!

midnight johnny
10-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Luke....thanks...I appreciate that you listen to the show. About my being hard on Jim....what I said is what I felt. I didn't think it was an appropriate question for Harry when our intended focus was Motown/UMe music. However...I did in fact ask Harry prior to the show about Jim's concerns and I posted what he said for Jim to address his issues. And Harry was gracious enough to talk about the issue on the show. And sometimes, Luke, and maybe often, there is more going on than meets the eye.

jobeterob
10-25-2010, 11:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThIiNa_9uCM

jobeterob
10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYnkshAo0eE

The definitive version, for me!

midnight johnny
10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
I love that interview; what I get out of it [[which might be wrong and might not be other people's view) is that fans, as usual, read so much into things, they think what they want to think, they make up what is blank...........and most of the time, there is just nothing to their musings.

I also picked up a line from Harry about "we'll see how things go"..........it made me think, it might be an idea to BUY some of these; more than just Diana Ross; more than just the Supremes, which sell.

John, some how, you gotta get these shows preserved; like your interviews with Scherrie and Jean; because so many of us are spread out all over the world and can't listen when you are actually "on air".

Rob...thanks...glad you enjoyed it! I have all the interviews...I'd list them but I'm afraid of missing someone. These chats are really some of the high points of my life as a Motown fan. I'm hoping that at some point WOMR will have a way to store them and make them available on the WOMR site.

dba
10-26-2010, 12:41 PM
MJ:

Was working and listening last week and missed the comment about More Hits By The Supremes. Did Harry in fact say this was to be the new DRATS release? Thanks for confirming. This was another great interview.

jobeterob
10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
To me it kinda sorta sounded like it was "a" release coming, not necessarily "the" new release.

I also got the "drift" that Diana Ross sells and the Supremes sell but underlying several comments, I believe they need the fans support by buying the product. And I'm not sure it is there for much of the product which does compromise certain releases.

That being said, I will be semi controversial and say that in my business, I am facing the same issues Universal has; but I am a little bit surprised at how "hands off" and a little bit "nonchalant" they want to be with marketing. You can't say to your customers, "we want you to buy" and then for years and years on end, have continuing issues with marketing. And the fact is "they've never got over those marketing issues".

RossHolloway
10-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Jobeterob- I didn't think HW was being hands off or nonchalant about marketing at all. If the fans don' buy these cd then UM will simply stop putting them out. But HW is involved with more that just Motown. But he took the time [[twice now) to be a part of Midnight's show. That is a form of marketing. For a six hour time frame he talked about the Tammi release and his experience in the music industry. It got me to order a copy instead of waiting a few weeks or a couple of months. I hope he comes back on with other releases in the future.

jobeterob
10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
I totally agree with that part of it Ross.

But also someone at Universal has to someday say that the "buck stops here" and they start to fix Hip O and IT'S marketing practices.

I've been on here 5 years plus and the refrain has been constant, steady. It's been people of every nature, kind, character, gender, ethnic background, sexual orientation. Shipping costs to Canada were $55 for ONE CD. I think they are down to $27. And you want to sell CDS? Seriously? And they still don't ship to the UK. And they obviously still had problems with Jim Bagley and I believe he's in Pennsylvania or New York.

It's great to provide an email address for one off problems. But how about getting a new marketer? How about revising the contract? How about terminating the contract? It's been a long time with Hip O and things haven't been great.

The question needs to be addressed: Are we serious about wanting to sell more? If the answer is Yes.............there are some fairly easy fixes.

midnight johnny
10-26-2010, 03:57 PM
MJ:

Was working and listening last week and missed the comment about More Hits By The Supremes. Did Harry in fact say this was to be the new DRATS release? Thanks for confirming. This was another great interview.

Thanks, dba! Yes...Harry did in fact say that "More Hits...Supremes" is forthcoming....not sure when though....

midnight johnny
10-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I totally agree with that part of it Ross.

But also someone at Universal has to someday say that the "buck stops here" and they start to fix Hip O and IT'S marketing practices.

I've been on here 5 years plus and the refrain has been constant, steady. It's been people of every nature, kind, character, gender, ethnic background, sexual orientation. Shipping costs to Canada were $55 for ONE CD. I think they are down to $27. And you want to sell CDS? Seriously? And they still don't ship to the UK. And they obviously still had problems with Jim Bagley and I believe he's in Pennsylvania or New York.

It's great to provide an email address for one off problems. But how about getting a new marketer? How about revising the contract? How about terminating the contract? It's been a long time with Hip O and things haven't been great.

The question needs to be addressed: Are we serious about wanting to sell more? If the answer is Yes.............there are some fairly easy fixes.

So Rob....why don't you send an email to Harry about your thoughts.....he said that email address gets emails directly to him.