PDA

View Full Version : Hey Andy and Harry - how about a booklet-style release on Four Tops

test

sup_fan
06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
not exactly a new topic but thought i'd repitch :)

the Jean Terrell, Let Yourself Go and Singles Collections have been great. love the presentation, liner notes and detailed info on each track.

what about doing a Four Tops set focusing on the Frank Wilson years? great way to commemorate a superb producer and package up a series of great lps.

is there much in the way of canned tracks from the Still Water, Changing or Nature periods?

Kamasu_Jr
06-21-2013, 01:26 PM
There already is something like that. The Four Tops 50th Anniversary. It doesn't have many previously unreleased tracks on it, but it is in the format/style of Let Yourself Go with pictures and notes. However, a set compiling the group's work with Frank Wilson might be ideal.

sup_fan
06-21-2013, 03:01 PM
i have the new Four Tops singles set and love it! i never knew that Still Water Peace and Love was one extended track. i found the Fourever set online but it's over $120! no thanks. i found a clip on Youtube of the recording. frankly it's rather odd. doesn't seem to flow very well. not sure if that's the track or the posting on YT.

i'd love to know more about the Frank sessions. his work with the guys was as impressive as his work with the Sups

marv2
06-21-2013, 03:39 PM
I have the Four Tops Box Set ,but i'd love to see several of their albums given the deluxe treatment.

kenneth
06-21-2013, 07:45 PM
I have the Four Tops Box Set ,but i'd love to see several of their albums given the deluxe treatment.

The singles sets were slow for me to warm up to, but I now have the Temptations and The Vandellas. [[Of course the Vandellas has the Lost and Found disk so I would have bought it in any event.)

I think the sets are great, much improved sound quality over previous releases. The Tops' "Fourever" as I mentioned in another thread lately, has really appalling sound on some tracks and should definitely get a remaster. So I think the Singles Hip-O set is now an essential purchase.

marv2
06-21-2013, 07:49 PM
The singles sets were slow for me to warm up to, but I now have the Temptations and The Vandellas. [[Of course the Vandellas has the Lost and Found disk so I would have bought it in any event.)

I think the sets are great, much improved sound quality over previous releases. The Tops' "Fourever" as I mentioned in another thread lately, has really appalling sound on some tracks and should definitely get a remaster. So I think the Singles Hip-O set is now an essential purchase.

You are right. Sound quality of the box set is not great. The main saving factor for me is it contained their last single that I really, really liked and received airplay, "Sexy Ways". I have to vinyl album it was pulled from, but to date, "Four Tops Forever" is the only place I could find it on CD.

kenneth
06-21-2013, 10:57 PM
You are right. Sound quality of the box set is not great. The main saving factor for me is it contained their last single that I really, really liked and received airplay, "Sexy Ways". I have to vinyl album it was pulled from, but to date, "Four Tops Forever" is the only place I could find it on CD.

I do love the track lineup on the set. I really love the "Breaking Away" album as well, so much that I bought two copies of it...what great renditions of those famous songs and how good it was finally released. I've been rediscovering the Tops lately and enjoying it immensely.

marv2
06-21-2013, 11:43 PM
I do love the track lineup on the set. I really love the "Breaking Away" album as well, so much that I bought two copies of it...what great renditions of those famous songs and how good it was finally released. I've been rediscovering the Tops lately and enjoying it immensely.

The very last summer that I experienced a brand new Four Tops song [[thank you WJLB Detroit) on the radio , while driving a brand new car [[a gold New Yorker) around the streets of Detroit was in 1985 and the song was "Sexy Ways"! I would turn that sucker up, blasted it while going around corners and people would be smiling and knodding at me to the music! LOL!!!

kenneth
06-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Ah yes...WJLB. Martha Jean "The Queen"..."Buzz the Fuzz"...ads for Belvedere Construction...such a fun radio station so representative of Detroit.

marv2
06-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Ah yes...WJLB. Martha Jean "The Queen"..."Buzz the Fuzz"...ads for Belvedere Construction...such a fun radio station so representative of Detroit.

Ahhh! What do you know about Martha Jean the Queen? ! LOL! I use to listen to her on my lunch breaks on WCHB! No one ever mentions her here. I am happy that you did. Such great memories of a great lady.

marv2
06-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Remember the Mr. Belvedere commercials? I am sure Ralph and everyone else from Detroit remembers those and the "Mel Farr Superstar" commercials, hehehehehehehe......

kenneth
06-22-2013, 01:25 AM
Of course I remember Mr. Belvedere. Who could forget that face? Actually, he's still around and shops at a grocery store in Bloomfield Hills where my sister works!

I don't remember Mel Farr...but I do remember "Roy O'Brien." "Get on the right track, to 9 Mile and Mack, to get the best deal in town."

Man, what sponges we must be to remember those horrible jingles all these years later!

marv2
06-22-2013, 03:56 AM
Of course I remember Mr. Belvedere. Who could forget that face? Actually, he's still around and shops at a grocery store in Bloomfield Hills where my sister works!

I don't remember Mel Farr...but I do remember "Roy O'Brien." "Get on the right track, to 9 Mile and Mack, to get the best deal in town."

Man, what sponges we must be to remember those horrible jingles all these years later!

Kenneth, sponges or not, it is always a pleasure remembering the good ole days of Detroit ,Detroit Metro with others that remember them as well. Ok, here's one. Remember Rita Bell's Prize Movie? LOL! How about the Faygo Pop commercials?

calvin
06-22-2013, 04:41 AM
Well now that this has become a Detroit nostalgia thread... funny, I don't remember Rita Bell, but I do remember Bill Kennedy at the Movies on Channel 50. And yes, Mr Belvedere [["We - do - good - work").

Now to tie this back to Motown records [[though not to the Four Tops)... Mel Farr was an American football player with the Detroit Lions before selling cars. Apparently [[perhaps someone here can say more about this?) he and Lem Barney [[another Lions player) are two of the voices on Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On":
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/29/sports/la-sp-crowe-20100830

Mel Farr Superstar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YAKLTo6MRA

marv2
06-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Well now that this has become a Detroit nostalgia thread... funny, I don't remember Rita Bell, but I do remember Bill Kennedy at the Movies on Channel 50. And yes, Mr Belvedere [["We - do - good - work").

Now to tie this back to Motown records [[though not to the Four Tops)... Mel Farr was an American football player with the Detroit Lions before selling cars. Apparently [[perhaps someone here can say more about this?) he and Lem Barney [[another Lions player) are two of the voices on Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On":
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/29/sports/la-sp-crowe-20100830

Mel Farr Superstar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YAKLTo6MRA

Calvin, Rita Bell was on in the mornings on WXYZ Channel in the 60's. I use to watch Bill Kennedy at the Movies on channel 50 [[ they had the best cartoons!) and on Windsor 9 CKLW.

Also on Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On?" were Obie Benson of the Four Tops and Bobby Rogers of the Miracles. Here's a real bit of trivia. Martha Reeves was on Marvin's "Let's Get It On".