PDA

View Full Version : Ray Parker Jr to get Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame

test

StuBass1
06-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Further official info to be released by The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce...

marv2
06-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Wow! Yeahhhhh! Congratulations to Ray Parker Jr. [[of Raydio!). Also a former Detroiter.

soulster
06-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Wow! Yeahhhhh! Congratulations to Ray Parker Jr. [[of Raydio!). Also a former Detroiter.
Actually, he WAS Raydio. The band name was Clive Davis's idea.

Anyway, it's about time the man got some respect!

Kamasu_Jr
06-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Just goes to show you that some of these stars can be bought. That's not saying he shouldn't have a star, but I don't think of Ray Parker Jr. as being in the same category as Prince, Stevie Wonder or Lionel Richie.

marv2
06-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Actually, he WAS Raydio. The band name was Clive Davis's idea.

Anyway, it's about time the man got some respect!

Jerry Knight was also Raydio! I enjoyed his solo efforts just as as I enjoyed Ray Parker Jr's. As a group they were a short term favorite of mine.

soulster
06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Jerry Knight was also Raydio! I enjoyed his solo efforts just as as I enjoyed Ray Parker Jr's. As a group they were a short term favorite of mine. According to Parker himself, it was the record company's idea. The two other guys were just helping him out.

At the time in 1978, the feeling was that the public would not accept a single Black artist doing rock music, so, at the insistence of the record company, he went under the name of Raydio. This was kept up until 1980, when the billing on the record label changed to "Ray Parker Jr. & Raydio". That was done to gradually phase out the "Raydio" name as not to confuse the buying public. "Raydio" was dropped in 1981 with the "The Other Woman" album. You see that Jerry Knight and Ollie Brown were still with him at this point.

midnightman
06-21-2013, 10:28 PM
^ Interesting back story but it does make sense. It seemed the band was formed by Clive Davis lol

Anyways congrats to Mr. Parker.

StuBass1
06-21-2013, 11:06 PM
It's been officially announced that Ray will receive his STAR in 2014... date to be determined. Ray Is a phenomenal musician, songwriter, and recording artist and respected throughout the L.A music scene. I'm sure that many in the Los Angeles recording community will turn out to see him receive his honor.

Also receiving STARS on the Walk Of Fame in 2014 representing the recording industry is the fabled Motown songwriting team of Holland, Dozier, Holland...ELO's Jeff Lynne, Mana, Katy Perry, Rick Springfield, and the late Tupac Shakur.

soulster
06-22-2013, 01:25 AM
^ Interesting back story but it does make sense. It seemed the band was formed by Clive Davis lol

Parker was signed as a solo artist. He was already pretty much a one-man band who had his own recording studio and did his own engineering. He honed his chops by being an in-demand L.A. session player, and, especially, working with Stevie Wonder.

Kamasu_Jr
07-09-2013, 06:20 PM
On second listen and evaluation, Ray Parker Jr. knew how to write catchy songs like You Can't Change That and A Woman Needs Love. We played those today. They still sound good.

soulster
07-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Kam, are you somewhat new to Parker's music? Your post sounds like it.

Kamasu_Jr
07-09-2013, 08:57 PM
No. I just didn't give him his props and had not listened to his music in a while.

soulwally
07-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Nice to hear your comments on post 12, Kam. Sometimes you come across as a little acidic in your posts, but credit where credit's due here.

Soul Sister
07-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Kamasu,
I was thinking the same thing. Why?
I too like him as an Artist but how does he qualify over some of the pioneers who paid real dues and paved the way or were bigger influences on other Artist's???
How many movies was his music used in[[?), one "Ghost Busters". Just sayin`. SMH.

So it goes typical of the music industry and playing of politics in Hollywood.

S.S.

Kamasu_Jr
07-12-2013, 11:10 AM
I had those same thoughts. He did compose Ghostbusters for the hit film and was Oscar nominated. He was also sued for it. He has appeared in a few films, but they were mostly forgettable. Ray Parker Jr. is not as important as Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye or Barry White, but he is a good musician. He supplied those licks on Love's Theme and he had a knack for writing catchy songs. Stars on the Walk Of Fame are paid for/bought, so I prefer to believe he's getting one because of his musicianship.

StuBass1
07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Just FYI...Ray was nominated for his star by Quincy Jones...a guy who knows a little bit about music and what goes on and who is who in the L.A. music scene. Walk of Fame recognition is not "bought", but the result of an official nomination. Once a STAR is awarded, it is ultimately the nominators responsibility to fund the tribute. Some honorees [[and/or sponsors) never submit the funds within the five year period allowed to bring the honor to fruition and the nomination is quashed . I'm sure that will not be the case for Mr. Parker.

Kamasu_Jr
07-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Oh, an individual has to be nominated for a star. Stu, what you've stated is that Quincy Jones nominated Ray Parker Jr. and will pay for Parker's star. Anyone can nominate a celebrity and a star on the Walk costs $30,000. Much of that fee goes towards maintaining the Walk Of Fame, paying for the awards ceremony, and goes to something called the Hollywood Historical Society, which is supoed to fund the cleaning of awarded stars, etc. Parker is the nominee and Jones the nominator/sponsor. If that's the case, then it explains the why factor. Jones has some clout in Hollywood and I'm sure he has $30,000 to pay for Parker's star..

Soul Sister
07-12-2013, 12:17 PM
LOL..............we and most of Hollywoood knows how Q works.

Politics, money, & fame is all that matters not neccesarily the best quality or best qualified.
Those in the know, know exactly what I mean. If not, there's no explaining it period!

Movin` on down the road.................................

S.S.

StuBass1
07-12-2013, 12:24 PM
It really doesn't matter who writes the check Kam. In the case of The Funk Brothers, myself and a lady named Jeanne Bonfilio were the nominator/sponsors. While I incurred significant costs personally [[including expenses not directly associated with the actual check written to the Hollywood Chamber Of Commerce), we raised the funds over a period of several years thanks to the generosity of several individuals and organizations, including Ray Parker Jr. It is ultimately the responsibility of the sponsor to submit the funds, although the actual dollars can come from several sources..friends, business associates, fans, sponsors, or in some cases the honoree themselves. Guarantee of funding is not a requirement of the actual nomination to be submitted or the awarding of the star, although it is clearly stated that for an actual ceremony to take place, the funds must be submitted within a certain period of time.

StuBass1
07-12-2013, 12:27 PM
True Soul Sister...Honorees are not required to audition :rolleyes: lol

Kamasu_Jr
07-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Sis, did you know Denzel Washington doesn't have a star? He was awarded one, but didn't set a time for his awards ceremony, which also indicates the Chamber of Commerce did not get his $30,000.

Soul Sister
07-12-2013, 01:00 PM
:rolleyes: Stu. The Funk Brothers deserve recognition.

Kam, Denzel, and a lot others should come first but money & politics always win out.
I have this same issue with the way the Rock Hall nominates Artists. The most qualified of the earliest Artists should be first in line for induction, not the later Artists or poor imitations of earlier Artists which is true in some cases. JMHO. :p

S.S.

Soul Sister
07-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Anyway..................

CONGRATULATIONS to Ray Parker, Jr.

S.S.

MIKEW-UK
07-13-2013, 11:53 AM
I would say it is a superb recognition of someone who has been ever present and made significant contributions to the evolution and standing of soul music for decades.... in fact from his first appearances at The Twenty Grand behind Motown artists, through his Motown and Invictus contributions as a guitarist, a session player and backing player for superstars such as Stevie Wonder and Barry White, as an artist in his won right, and as a soul music ambassador... I absolutely agree he is being honoured for his musicianship first and foremost...

http://www.urbannetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=547:ray-parker-jr-a-wah-wah-watson&catid=101:headlines