PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Robinson Store

test

jobeterob
06-19-2013, 09:36 PM
http://smokeyrobinson.storenvy.com/

His facebook page says everything is 20% off.

thisoldheart
06-20-2013, 05:48 PM
must need money for another facelift!

blueskies
06-20-2013, 06:04 PM
must need money for another facelift!

You can only yank and pull so much.....and, I think we're there!

jobeterob
06-20-2013, 06:20 PM
You can only yank and pull so much.....and, I think we're there!

Ya, he's got things pretty taut.

The stuff for sale was pretty pricey, far more than on the Websites of other Motown singers. Smokey thinks he is high A list still.

RossHolloway
06-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Ouch! Why are folks being so mean to Smokey? Does he owe you all money or something?

jobeterob
06-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Ouch! Why are folks being so mean to Smokey? Does he owe you all money or something?

No, no. Smokey is a good fellow; but the botox and stuff is so obvious with Smokey.

A good man for standing up for Berry and Diana and the truth. And he is trying to stay current.

thomas96
06-20-2013, 07:24 PM
I don't like how he sells his own autographs. At least for me, the cool thing about autographs at all are getting them done in person, seeing the person sign it and that entire moment and memory of the moment. Smokey refuses to sign autographs after his concerts, and according to one of his band members, this is because of people going on ebay and selling them. I went to a Smokey concert this past January, and kid aged around 10 or 11 went up to Smokey with an album and asked for an autograph and he said no I can't sign that. I don't know about everyone else, but that really bothered me, and I may not go see him again.

jobeterob
06-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Perhaps that is taking himself too seriously. Maybe also though, Smokey had a bad time with drugs for a while; maybe he runs himself as a business now and takes everything very seriously.

He certainly spoke out loud and aggressively about the misrepresentation of Berry Gordy in Dreamgirls.

Motown4Ever518
06-25-2013, 09:18 PM
William Robinson is one of the all time greats, a sad story though.
I don't like how he sells his own autographs. At least for me, the cool thing about autographs at all are getting them done in person, seeing the person sign it and that entire moment and memory of the moment. Smokey refuses to sign autographs after his concerts, and according to one of his band members, this is because of people going on ebay and selling them. I went to a Smokey concert this past January, and kid aged around 10 or 11 went up to Smokey with an album and asked for an autograph and he said no I can't sign that. I don't know about everyone else, but that really bothered me, and I may not go see him again.

kenneth
06-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Perhaps that is taking himself too seriously. Maybe also though, Smokey had a bad time with drugs for a while; maybe he runs himself as a business now and takes everything very seriously.

He certainly spoke out loud and aggressively about the misrepresentation of Berry Gordy in Dreamgirls.

I admire Smokey for his talent and love all his music, but he was the quintessential company man through and through. It doesn't surprise me that he sticks up for Berry Gordy, but I don't think he's ever been quoted as sticking up for any of the artists at Motown who were treated badly or overlooked by Gordy. It seems early on he decided to align himself with Gordy, no matter what, and that's what he's done all along.

jobeterob
06-25-2013, 11:28 PM
I think his store is now selling his new CD too.

marybrewster
06-26-2013, 10:01 AM

A few months ago, after a Martha Reeves concert, Martha was gracious enough to pose for photographs and sign items for fans. One "fan" directly in front of me brought no less than 15 items for Martha to sign; CD's, LP's, etc. Martha was gracious enough to sign everything, but on the flipside of Smokey not signing anything, I was bothered that someone would be so bold as to bring so many items. A single CD or LP or picture; I can totally see that. But a whole collection? I'm sure most of it ended up on eBay. I do believe Martha was wise enough to personally inscribe each item; at least she did with mine. I'm sure that takes the value down a bit, but then again, mine was for my personal collection: priceless!

marybrewster
06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
It's sad to see that Smokey has fallen upon hard times; I imagine selling your old suits is some sort of indication that he's reached the bottom of the financial barrel.

Perhaps Mr. Gordy could help him out, as he has generously done to many other Motown artists over the years.

reese
06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
A few months ago, after a Martha Reeves concert, Martha was gracious enough to pose for photographs and sign items for fans. One "fan" directly in front of me brought no less than 15 items for Martha to sign; CD's, LP's, etc. Martha was gracious enough to sign everything, but on the flipside of Smokey not signing anything, I was bothered that someone would be so bold as to bring so many items. A single CD or LP or picture; I can totally see that. But a whole collection? I'm sure most of it ended up on eBay. I do believe Martha was wise enough to personally inscribe each item; at least she did with mine. I'm sure that takes the value down a bit, but then again, mine was for my personal collection: priceless!

When I'm lucky enough to meet an artist, I try to have respect for both them and my fellow fans. I have every album Martha has ever made, but I wouldn't dare take the whole collection. I bring a few at a time. It took years, but I finally have an entire set of her albums personally autographed. But some fans don't care. I have been behind people who wanted to tell the artist their entire life story while the rest of us stood waiting for our turn.

Re Smokey, the prices at his store are very high. Might the money be going to a charity?

jobeterob
06-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Smokey Robinson - Food For The Spirit [[CD)

$8.00

Availability

Description

God's really got a hold on the soul legend floating over the digitized grooves of producer Michael Stokes, Smokey Robinson's unmistakable alto sounds as angelic as ever on this, his first religious album. He teases out "Let Your Light Shine on Me" as if it were one of his trademark romantic ballads, and he dollies back from "problems with my woman" to counsel with his god in "I Have Prayed on It." Elsewhere, Food for the Spirit is dragged down by by-the-Book expressions of belief and heavy-handed social commentary, but Robinson hasn't sounded this into it since his heyday, and that in itself is reason to rejoice.

-Bud Scoppa [[Rolling Stone)

jobeterob
06-26-2013, 11:18 AM
You can buy it on his Facebook page.

kenneth
06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I think it's fine that he's selling his CDs there, but the autographs, etc., to me is really cheesy.

Interesting, that gospel album is $25 on Amazon but only $8 on his web site. Wonder why. I'd love to hear it. The Miracles must have had a track on the "In Loving Memory" LP but other than that, don't think I've ever heard them or Smokey do a gospel song.

motony
06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
that does bother me that Smokey would not sign the LP for that kid & also that he is selling his autograph & won't sign after concerts....that just seems so out of character to me.Smokey is my fave writer & producer.

jobeterob
06-26-2013, 01:46 PM
I've always heard that Smokey is fighting the "oldies" tag.

He has appeared in Vancouver at an upscale venue that the Temptations and Diana Ross appeared at. He only came once.

I would have thought he was one of the people that came out of Motown with some money and should not need to be skinny with his autographs. He also was perhaps known as a writer as much or more than a singer and there should be money coming out of that.

Seems a bit strange. But he had a tough stretch and appearances are not always what they seem.

captainjames
06-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Smokey has always been gracious enough to sign anything I put in front of him but he has has not always wanted his picture taken. I will leave you with that.

thomas96
06-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Smokey has always been gracious enough to sign anything I put in front of him but he has has not always wanted his picture taken. I will leave you with that.

When was the last time he signed something for you?

jobeterob
07-11-2013, 02:47 AM
He's flogging more stuff on Facebook:

The Official Smokey Robinson Page

Today only! Receive a CD copy of "Now And Then" FREE with a purchase of $25 or more! Only in the Smokey Robinson store. http://smokeyrobinson.storenvy.com/

Kamasu_Jr
07-13-2013, 08:46 PM
When I'm lucky enough to meet an artist, I try to have respect for both them and my fellow fans. I have every album Martha has ever made, but I wouldn't dare take the whole collection. I bring a few at a time. It took years, but I finally have an entire set of her albums personally autographed. But some fans don't care. I have been behind people who wanted to tell the artist their entire life story while the rest of us stood waiting for our turn.

Re Smokey, the prices at his store are very high. Might the money be going to a charity?
Very true Reese. Some fans do behave like fans. I 've gotten only two acts to sign more than one item, Nancy Wilson and Dionne Warwick. I choose three albums for each that meant something to me personally and they both wanted to hear why. I can see why Smokey is selling his own stuff because the hustlers do sell the stuff on Ebay, etc. Smokey probably figures he should have some of that money too. Smokey did sign something for a friend at the opening of the Motown museum in Detroit, which my friend gave to me. Diana Ross also signed a photo for me when she was here in 2010. But my mother asked her I didn't.