PDA

View Full Version : Jean Terrell consistently recording tracks 1969-1973

test

franjoy56
06-18-2013, 09:18 PM
I wonder if Jean Terrell is the leading track recorder of all the Motown artist excluding Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and Diana Ross during the years 1969-1973. If this is so she was the hardest working lead singer in a group other than Michael Jackson, The Four Tops left in 72, so did Gladys and the Pips, The Marvelettes were through in 1970 and Martha & The Vandellas folded in 1972, The Tempts had various lead singers by this time even though Dennis Edwards was their lead . It appears from what was released she has sung on 90 lead tracks all for the Supremes, it would then appear why she was so upset about the promotion or lack of the group was receiving in 1972, and swiftly left Motown in 1973, [[and sued for her money in the millenium)I never played all the tracks from the Magnificient 7 complete duets and when I played "I Had a Dream" i was blown away, her duet with Levi is truly heartfuelt that gal could blow.

kenneth
06-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I still think the Maginificent 7 duets are amazing tracks and really underrated. I love that set so much. I always played the first of the 3 albums quite a bit, didn't play the other 2 that much, but it was wonderful rediscovering them on this set, as well as the previously unreleased cuts.

marv2
06-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Jean was a hardworker and Motown worked her! Here's a photo of Jean in the studio with Berry:

kenneth
06-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Great photo! Reminds me of a photo I saw once of Phil Spector with Ronnie of the Ronettes, really shows the "Svengali" image to full effect.

franjoy56
06-18-2013, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;172344]Jean was a hardworker and Motown worked her! Here's a photo of Jean in the studio with Berry:[/QUOTE
marvin you always seem to amaze me with your treasure trove of photos here it looks like Berry Gordy is intensly inerested in Jean Terrell's singing is this before she was dropped into the Supremes.????

marv2
06-19-2013, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=marv2;172344]Jean was a hardworker and Motown worked her! Here's a photo of Jean in the studio with Berry:[/QUOTE
marvin you always seem to amaze me with your treasure trove of photos here it looks like Berry Gordy is intensly inerested in Jean Terrell's singing is this before she was dropped into the Supremes.????

Thanks Fran! I am this was while Mary and Cindy were still out on the road with Diane.

Kamasu_Jr
06-19-2013, 04:33 AM
It depends on what search engine you use- Google or Bing. Each one has photos/images that others have posted on line.

jaybs
06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
marv2 what a superb photo! of a real special singer and person Jean!

marybrewster
06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
It depends on what search engine you use- Google or Bing. Each one has photos/images that others have posted on line.

Agreed; using "Bing", type in "Jean Terrell"; a treasure trove of photos will come up. LOL. Many with credit due to Hendin Photo.

Kamasu_Jr
06-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Agreed; using "Bing", type in "Jean Terrell"; a treasure trove of photos will come up. LOL. Many with credit due to Hendin Photo. Right you are Marybrewster. Let's give credit where it's due.

marv2
06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Right you are Marybrewster. Let's give credit where it's due.

I was probably 9 years old when that photo was taken. Now we could have sat here and waited for Hendin Photo to come find us and post it here in this thread. Instead, posted it because it related to what we were discussing here. GeeZ.

ejluther
06-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Great pic - thanks for posting. As for credit, it seems to me that with the internet driving everything it's often virtually impossible to even determine who took a photo, let alone give appropriate credit. Here's another great shot [[PS: It appears to be the same photographer):http://www.rockpaperphoto.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/H/e/Hendin_Jim_009_Jean_Terrell_37.jpg

midnightman
06-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Jean was a hardworker and Motown worked her! Here's a photo of Jean in the studio with Berry:

WOW! That speaks a LOT of volumes.

BayouMotownMan
06-19-2013, 01:03 PM
By the time "Right On" was issued, Jean Terrell recorded nearly 50 tracks, enough for several albums. Over the next three years she likely tripled that number. She was constantly recording. She would be on tour with the Supremes and would be summoned into various recording studios nationwide to lay a vocal.

theboyfromxtown
06-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Do I take it that you are suggesting that a deluxe edition of "Right On" might even be a triple CD set!

Bring it on.....

luke
06-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Lol Marv. The pettiness is amazing. Like high school jealousy. Thanks for posting these great pics. I never knew they existed!

jobeterob
06-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Lol Marv. The pettiness is amazing. Like high school jealousy. Thanks for posting these great pics. I never knew they existed!

So, the point here is that this would not be one of the situations Ralph mentioned where the Andantes would have been regarded as better than Mary and Cindy ~ but the Andantes would have been necessary/expedient because Mary and Cindy were 20 feet behind Diane, on tour, propping up her skinny voice? Is that what you are saying?

Or is that petty?

johnjeb
06-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Do I take it that you are suggesting that a deluxe edition of "Right On" might even be a triple CD set!

Bring it on.....

Yes, Bring it on...Bring it "Right On"

blueskies
06-19-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm sitting here with credit card in hand.
Yes, Bring it on...Bring it "Right On"

Kamasu_Jr
06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
All I'm saying is someone took a compliment as if the photo belonged to him and didn't mention that the person paying him the compliment could also find such fantastic photos too on the internet if they knew where to look. It might seem petty for me to bring it up, but it is true and right.

marv2
06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
All I'm saying is someone took a compliment as if the photo belonged to him and didn't mention that the person paying him the compliment could also find such fantastic photos too on the internet if they knew where to look. It might seem petty for me to bring it up, but it is true and right.

I don't recall asking for any compliments. I thought I was being more like a good neighbor and sharing something I'd come across that was pertinent to the discussion here. That is all.

Kamasu_Jr
06-19-2013, 10:46 PM
You were sharing something that someone else has shared with the worldwide internet community.

marv2
06-19-2013, 10:48 PM
You were sharing something that someone else has shared with the worldwide internet community.

Exactly! I've seen photos that belonged to me, some that even have my name on the front of them on Facebook pages! I accepted a long time ago that anything I put on the web is just out there.

franjoy56
06-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Exactly! I've seen photos that belonged to me, some that even have my name on the front of them on Facebook pages! I accepted a long time ago that anything I put on the web is just out there.
Marvin pay these fools no mind, if you had not posted it, I would have never seen it until someone said there are a treasure trove of photos on Ms Terrell on the net, once it is on the inter [[net) there is a free for all, as long as no one is using it for financial gain just for educational purposes you have enlighten us and some people can't stand it. I now believe Jean terrell may be the leading track recorder from 69-73 if she indeed has recorded 50 tracks at the time the Right On album was recorded and those tracks are exclusive of the next four Supremes albums not to mention the tracks she did on the Four Tops and Supremes duets: "I Had A Dream"

marv2
06-19-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm sitting here with credit card in hand.

If they ever released a deluxe version of this album, count me in, count me sold~!

marv2
06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Marvin pay these fools no mind, if you had not posted it, I would have never seen it until someone said there are a treasure trove of photos on Ms Terrell on the net, once it is on the inter [[net) there is a free for all, as long as no one is using it for financial gain just for educational purposes you have enlighten us and some people can't stand it. I now believe Jean terrell may be the leading track recorder from 69-73 if she indeed has recorded 50 tracks at the time the Right On album was recorded and those tracks are exclusive of the next four Supremes albums not to mention the tracks she did on the Four Tops and Supremes duets: "I Had A Dream"

Thanks Fran.
The folks at Motown must have realized very quickly that they now had the lady with the Golden Voice" recording for them. There is no other explaination as to why they recorded Jean so much during those years 1969-73. It's been mentioned several times over the years that Syreeta was being considered to replace Jean right after she was chosen as the new lead singer for the Supremes, yet they did not record Syreeta anywhere near as much as they did Jean in her first year with the company alone!

marv2
06-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Here is another great shot of Jean in Detroit recording:

franjoy56
06-20-2013, 12:03 AM
All i could say is that Mary and Cindy had nothing to worry about with Jean singing upfront except her sometimes stubborness, but she was a charm, look at her concentrating on those notes.

detmotownguy
06-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Franjoy thanks for this interesting thread! Marv please keep these interesting pics coming. You have provided many interesting photos over the years. Jean certainly was a solid contributor and had one of the best voices of the Motown roster.

kenneth
06-20-2013, 01:04 AM
A Jean Terrell "Lost and Found" set would be awesome!

I'm also still hoping for a Dennis Edwards Contours-era set made up of some of his solo as well as recordings he made with the Contours.

Kamasu_Jr
06-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Everybody search Bing and other search engines and find your own " treasure trove" of photos put on the net by someone else.Copyright laws do apply to the internet, ya know.

BayouMotownMan
06-20-2013, 04:37 PM
I doubt there is much in the way of Dennis Edwards/Contours material. He was only in the group a short time, as they were becoming an oldies act. When the Temptations hired Dennis he was recording as a soloist

franjoy56
06-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Franjoy thanks for this interesting thread! Marv please keep these interesting pics coming. You have provided many interesting photos over the years. Jean certainly was a solid contributor and had one of the best voices of the Motown roster. You welcome detrotomy. Terrell's singing always made the album track interesting with a lot of spark that had been missing from the Supremes songs in years and that "Right On" album with a few of the other albums spoke volumes on Terrell's talent when she sang with Mary and Cindy she interweaved her voice in and out of their harmony creating a glorious effect "I Wish I were your Mirror" "the Lovin Country" "Together We Can Make Sush Sweet Music" "Up The Ladder to the Roof" as well as a hand fuly of tracks in which the A;s were added "take a closer look at me" " "Then We can Try Again" "Wait a minute before you leave me"

kenneth
06-21-2013, 12:53 AM
I doubt there is much in the way of Dennis Edwards/Contours material. He was only in the group a short time, as they were becoming an oldies act. When the Temptations hired Dennis he was recording as a soloist

Thought I had read as well that some of his solo material was redubbed as Contours material when he was drafted into that group. Hard to believe there wouldn't be enough to fill a CD. Always loved his voice and would love to hear more of that early material.

supremester
06-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Kamasu: Marv posting decades old pics does not, IMHO, mean he is trying to claim credit for taking them, owning them or anything other than being thoughtful enough to share with us pics appropriate for this thread. Personally i wouldn't care if he DID claim he took them. WGAF? As long as we get to see new pics. I know, you're gonna say, "SHUT UP Supremester! You are ALWAYS defending Marv!!!" But I'll say, "Not "ALWAYS" always.......just sometimes

Everybody search Bing and other search engines and find your own " treasure trove" of photos put on the net by someone else.Copyright laws do apply to the internet, ya know.

supremester
06-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Jean probably was the hardest working lead singer of a group from 1969-1973 except Michael Jackson and Gladys and maybe Gladys as well.
As for lack of promotion, are you speaking of the 7 top 20 pop hits or the 4 that didn't go top 40? Two of those three [[Touch and Bad Weather) were horrendous messes, one IGIMTM was a pretty vocal but not top 40 material and the other, YWWSSL was just a so/so record. Of course Jean sounded just as good with The Andantes as she did with Mary & Cindy and even better with Mary & Lynda. Jean left The Supremes for many reasons. She wasn't even speaking to Mary and totally resented Mary taking over the group. She also wanted at least an equal third of the money and it wasn't happening. Jean and Lynda were tired of wearing Diana oss' old gowns and Mary fought them tooth and nail. Jean saw the wriyting on the wall in '71 when they were consistantly hitting and losing fans, but Mary insisted on doing things the old way. Mary was blaming lack of promotion, but her vision was skewed amd eventually ran the group into the ground.
I wonder if Jean Terrell is the leading track recorder of all the Motown artist excluding Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and Diana Ross during the years 1969-1973. If this is so she was the hardest working lead singer in a group other than Michael Jackson, The Four Tops left in 72, so did Gladys and the Pips, The Marvelettes were through in 1970 and Martha & The Vandellas folded in 1972, The Tempts had various lead singers by this time even though Dennis Edwards was their lead . It appears from what was released she has sung on 90 lead tracks all for the Supremes, it would then appear why she was so upset about the promotion or lack of the group was receiving in 1972, and swiftly left Motown in 1973, [[and sued for her money in the millenium)I never played all the tracks from the Magnificient 7 complete duets and when I played "I Had a Dream" i was blown away, her duet with Levi is truly heartfuelt that gal could blow.

paul_nixon
06-21-2013, 04:39 AM

Afraid that they do apply to the internet - take it from a pro photographer people are stealing by publishing other peoples intellectual property without their consent or knowledge.

captainjames
06-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Out of curiosity since we are throwing out numbers does anyone know "titles" or names of songs that Jean Terrell was suppose to have recorded ? Just wondering.

franjoy56
06-21-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't recall asking for any compliments. I thought I was being more like a good neighbor and sharing something I'd come across that was pertinent to the discussion here. That is all.you don't nneed to apologize you have added to this thread enough said

franjoy56
06-21-2013, 03:04 PM
I never knew Jean was not getting a third of the Supremes earnings she was singing 80% of the songs, that alone would make me want to jump ship, can you imagine going into the studio and singing the songs doing take after take, and most of the times singing alone while the backgrounds get added, and its a shame the communication between Jean and Mary broke down, i am sorry but Mary and Cindy sounded better to me than Mary and Lynda, the sound sounds very raw with the ML sweeter with MC just listen to "Together We can make such sweet music" and now the better now the sweet yes i know th A's are there but listen to Mary and Cindy's voices no contest.

marv2
06-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Out of curiosity since we are throwing out numbers does anyone know "titles" or names of songs that Jean Terrell was suppose to have recorded ? Just wondering.

One that I've wanted to hear forever is the Delfonics' " Didn't I Blow Your Mind".

marv2
06-21-2013, 03:36 PM
I never knew Jean was not getting a third of the Supremes earnings she was singing 80% of the songs, that alone would make me want to jump ship, can you imagine going into the studio and singing the songs doing take after take, and most of the times singing alone while the backgrounds get added, and its a shame the communication between Jean and Mary broke down, i am sorry but Mary and Cindy sounded better to me than Mary and Lynda, the sound sounds very raw with the ML sweeter with MC just listen to "Together We can make such sweet music" and now the better now the sweet yes i know th A's are there but listen to Mary and Cindy's voices no contest.

When Jean joined the group in 1970, she was on salary. Mary and Cindy were not and were receiving royalties ,etc, etc. Mary and Cindy sounded much better to me than Mary with Lynda. Mary and Lynda sounded ok, but nothing like Mary with Cindy. Communication became difficult because Jean withdrew. That's why she never realized she was being replaced until it was too late!

BayouMotownMan
06-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Jean Terrell probably assumed, as BG did, that with her and Lynda leaving, and Mary marrying that she [[Mary) too would let the group die since Motown was showing no interest. She was happy when Mary recruited Scherrie Payne and brought Cindy back; she was withdrawing from the group because she was tired of the hierarchy at Motown working the ladies to death and having no hit records as a result. However, she didn't want to be the cause for the group's demise and prevent Mary from working. This was happening at a time when all three ladies wanted hit records again so they could work a little less and play bigger venues that payed better, as they had done in the past. Lynda was pregnant, Jean soon became pregnant and Mary thought she was as well.

Mary Wilson however had no other real options so she fought hard to re-invent the Supremes with the intention of featuring herself more so that she and Pedro could launch her own solo career from within the framework of the group like Diana did.

Being salaried for the first 18 months did affect Jean as time went on. It was Jean who persuaded Mary to have accountants outside of Motown...and this helped seal the group's fate. By the time Jean was eligible to receive royalties from recordings and concerts, the groups popularity had dried up. She worked long and hard to have had that denied her. As much as I hated seeing Jean leave, one can't blame her. She was indeed carrying the shows and the hits were off her voice and other people were getting the money. Motown gave her a generous salary, with lots of perks, but it just didn't add up. She stayed bitter about this.

luke
06-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Mary and Cindy also helped carry the shows. I saw them. The group's chemistry and shared leads made them even better.

marv2
06-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Jean Terrell probably assumed, as BG did, that with her and Lynda leaving, and Mary marrying that she [[Mary) too would let the group die since Motown was showing no interest. She was happy when Mary recruited Scherrie Payne and brought Cindy back; she was withdrawing from the group because she was tired of the hierarchy at Motown working the ladies to death and having no hit records as a result. However, she didn't want to be the cause for the group's demise and prevent Mary from working.

I love Jean, but that was just plain stupid for her to assume that Mary Wilson would not be continuing the Supremes. As much time as she'd spent with Mary, she should have known her better than that! Berry knew Mary! He also knew that she was not ready to let the group die, he knew she was fighting for ownership of the name!

True, Jean was not happy with the way things were going at Motown. She was not alone at that time.

Jean was also NOT happy that Mary had reformed the Supremes with Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne. Jean Terrell said that she thought the group should have ended when she left! That is from her own mouth~!

She has to take the blame for that one because she had completely shut down! No communicating with Mary or hardly anyone else at Motown. Next thing she looked up, she was "Former Supreme Jean Terrell". Now that is the version of story she tells and it is close to the one that Mary Wilson tells.

She told Berry Gordy that she did not know what happened when Berry asked her "Well, what happened?" LOL!

floyjoy678
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Jean Terrell said that she thought the group should have ended when she left! That is from her own mouth~!

I agree with Jean on that. After she left the Supremes became 3 lead singers trying to out-sing one another on stage. Sure they had some good songs but they became a joke by that time. I felt really embarrassed for them while reading some of those stories in Supreme Faith like playing to nearly empty showrooms at the Holiday Inn, being an opening act at Caesar's Palace and the show going all wrong and being booed offstage at MSG. Then Mary fired Cindy and that's when it was really over for me as a fan. Scherrie and Susaye didn't need the Supremes IMO, they were talented enough to be on their own. I also don't get why people don't like the Jean, Mary and Lynda line-up. I thought Mary and Lynda sounded good together in the background.

BayouMotownMan
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Jean was also NOT happy that Mary had reformed the Supremes with Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne. Jean Terrell said that she thought the group should have ended when she left! That is from her own mouth~!

When and where did Jean say this? I've interviewed her and spoken with her many times and she always said she was sorry if her leaving had any bad effect on the group. What she HAS said was that it was obvious to her that Motown was not going to push another group of Supremes, and she was totally supportive of Mary when Mary did finally give up and sued the company

Roberta75
06-21-2013, 06:16 PM
When and where did Jean say this? I've interviewed her and spoken with her many times and she always said she was sorry if her leaving had any bad effect on the group. What she HAS said was that it was obvious to her that Motown was not going to push another group of Supremes, and she was totally supportive of Mary when Mary did finally give up and sued the company

Dont engage him BayouMotownMan hes only looking for attention. Most of us here know marv2 isnt the most credible source.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

marv2
06-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Dont engage him BayouMotownMan hes only looking for attention. Most of us here know marv2 isnt the most credible source.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Stay out of it. He was referring to me . She said it years ago. I don't have the transcript sitting next to me waiting for this issue to come up, but she said it! She must have been mistaken or you are mixing up what Jean Terrell said and what Mary Wilson said in her lawsuit from 1977. That's right, Jean was not even speaking to Mary with any type of regularity until the press caught wind of Mary's lawsuit. Then Jean started calling according to Mary. She was cheering Mary on for filing the suit. Jean has since remained friendly with Mary. She was there after Mary's son died.

marv2
06-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Stay out of it. He was referring to me . She said it years ago. I don't have the transcript sitting next to me waiting for this issue to come up, but she said it! She must have been mistaken or you are mixing up what Jean Terrell said and what Mary Wilson said in her lawsuit from 1977. That's right, Jean was not even speaking to Mary with any type of regularity until the press caught wind of Mary's lawsuit. Then Jean started calling according to Mary. She was cheering Mary on for filing the suit. Jean has since remained friendly with Mary. She was there after Mary's son died.

Yours in the truth and not some phony benevolent bullshit!

dickiemint
06-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Jean's lead vocal with the Supremes was the reason that the Group continued having hits in the UK after Diana Ross left, in fact The Supremes had more consecutive top 10 hits with Jean on lead than Diana solo did in 70 - 72 in the UK. I would love to see the remaining Jean vaulted tracks released.

franjoy56
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Yours in the truth and not some phony benevolent bullshit!

Well thank you guys for an interesting thread regarding Jean Terrell she was an emotional person and it showed in her singing, and when she felt she was working to hard without proper compensation, [[$) it was time to step off. Mary had a business to run and she was caught off guard when faced with the situation of leavng the company and choosing a new name that would not be Supremes she wasn't willing to part with that name that made her career, but to be honest I was quite happy when Mary reinvented the group and the first pic of Scherrie, Cindy and Mary appeared in Soul Magazine in the fall of 1973 in stunning fur coats.

marv2
06-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Well thank you guys for an interesting thread regarding Jean Terrell she was an emotional person and it showed in her singing, and when she felt she was working to hard without proper compensation, [[$) it was time to step off. Mary had a business to run and she was caught off guard when faced with the situation of leavng the company and choosing a new name that would not be Supremes she wasn't willing to part with that name that made her career, but to be honest I was quite happy when Mary reinvented the group and the first pic of Scherrie, Cindy and Mary appeared in Soul Magazine in the fall of 1973 in stunning fur coats.

I remember that picture. The first time I saw it was a color version full page in Right On Magazine. It got my attention immediately hehehehehehehehe! Mary did the right thing overall I believe. Jean would have had a tremendous solo career if she were more pro -active and willing to work with promoting her material more.

luke
06-22-2013, 02:47 PM
You are right Marv. I kind of admire Jean in that she wasnt driven just by ambition. Didnt hers and Lynda's religious beliefs impact this too?

marv2
06-22-2013, 02:51 PM
You are right Marv. I kind of admire Jean in that she wasnt driven just by ambition. Didnt hers and Lynda's religious beliefs impact this too?

Very much so. Both are Jehovah Witnesses. Jean is devout, I don't what Lynda is.........LOL!

SupremeBoy
06-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Not going to get involved in the he-said/she-said b.s. , but I will stand in praise for the remarkably beautiful, gifted and talented woman that Jean Terrell is.

She was the perfect addition to the group as they transitioned in to the more soulful/funky '70s.

I lost interest in the group when she departed. I don't own any Supremes studio albums after FLOY JOY. When Jean left that was it for me.

TheMotownManiac
06-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Ditto SupremeBoy. Some people equate the failure of The 70's Supremes with them not being good or talented - that wasn't the case. They were just not The Supremes anymore than The Velvelettes were. Mary tried to save face by blaming Motown, but you just can't replace two-thirds of a group and expect it to still be accepted as that group. I feel Mary tarnished the legacy by continuing to introduce new members just to keep herself employed. It was a slap in the face to DMF and an insult to Flo's memory to continue with newbies after she passed. The Tempts, Tops, Spinners, J5, all experienced declines in the 70's - vocal groups were dying like honeybees are today. The Supremes lost their lead and most popular bg singer, leaving only one original member. The public just didn't know them anymore - or care - and Motown had nothing to do with that apathy.

BayouMotownMan
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
I must respectfully differ on your opinions in the above post. The Temptations underwent massive personnel changes and remained successful for years, and still are. The Spinners as well.

In the case of the Supremes, Motown was dealing with women. Women typically want to start families and this interferes with touring and such. In the case of the Supremes, it was Diana Ross's comeback in Lady Sings that was quite damaging to the group along with their independence as per getting managers and accountants outside of Motown.

I want to also make it clear that at no time did Jean Terrell ever say anything negative about the Supremes after leaving, and at no time did she ever use Mary Wilson for any kind of press. In fact, she only joined the FLOs after Mary gave her blessings to the group in 1986. One of the reasons she left them was because Mary was beginning to voice her disapproval. When Mary sued Jean in 1994, 2 yrs after Jean left the FLOs, she was quite upset about that. In recent years she and Mary have been back on friendly terms.

marv2
06-25-2013, 01:38 PM
andf of course you know that Mary did not want to sue Jean but in order to file litigation against "The FLOS", she had to include Jean in the suit according the lawyers. None of that would have happened had they not flooded that market with all those CDS by the Flo's labeled "The Supremes"!

BayouMotownMan
06-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Flooded? They released 4 CDs and they were all overseas. Mary's then manager in 1986 after Dreamgirl was issued had Mary convinced that he was going to make her a solo star. So Mary gave her consent to the FLOs, and even jumped up on stage and sang with them at their first LA concert. After the tragic death of her son and the realization that she was not going to be a solo star, then she went after the FLOs. The FLOs rarely work in the States in deference to Mary. After this she went after Sounds of the Supremes, lost that case and was countersued by Kaaren Ragland. [[The FLOs could have countersued by didn't.) Mary Wilson signed away all rights to the name Supremes in 1990.

Roberta75
06-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Flooded? They released 4 CDs and they were all overseas. Mary's then manager in 1986 after Dreamgirl was issued had Mary convinced that he was going to make her a solo star. So Mary gave her consent to the FLOs, and even jumped up on stage and sang with them at their first LA concert. After the tragic death of her son and the realization that she was not going to be a solo star, then she went after the FLOs. The FLOs rarely work in the States in deference to Mary. After this she went after Sounds of the Supremes, lost that case and was countersued by Kaaren Ragland. [[The FLOs could have countersued by didn't.) Mary Wilson signed away all rights to the name Supremes in 1990.

And those 4 cds that got released didnt take money out of Mary Wilsons pocketbook. marv2 is quick to say nobody is interested in the FLOS yet accuses them of flooding the market with cds. lol

marv2 also constatly write that nobody cares about Diane Ross yet the woman has more than 420,000 facebook followers yet nobody is interested in her. lol

Hed also like us to believe that he and Miss Wilson are real close friends yet its been said here that Mary doesnt really know him that well and doesnt like him around her. lol

Roberta

supremester
06-25-2013, 05:41 PM
My goodness what an active thread! I think The Temptations dodged a bullet with Dennis Edwards: the man who did the impossible: replacing David Ruffin. Jean Terrell, talented as she is, Supremely so in fact, wasn't able to fill Diana Ross' shoes. I do not believe at all the theory about Motown killing JMC as too much occurred to refute that. I DO believe many Supremes fans, just like me, lost interest. I just talked to a woman on the plane my age who "liked" the DR&TS hits, "LOVED" Up The Ladder - but no other JMC cuts. She likes Ross solo best except DoobeDoodnDoobe [["it gives me a back ache") Each time a new Supreme popped up, it was another strange face. I don't even think anyone but a few were even comparing the two acts anymore. JMC had their hits, Miss Ross had Ain't No Mountain and it was over. The Supremes got boing trying to emulate DR&TS years too late and new groups made them look silly. Some of their TV appearances are humiliating to even watch. I don't think Lady Sings The Blues had any effect on JMC cuz by then, it was all over but the shouting. They were playing to half empty rooms in Vegas - bad sign. I love The Flos - and am friendly with Lynda, Scherrie and Joyce but I do not approve of them issuing CDs of DR&TS/JMC hits under the name The Supremes. The Scherrie years is fine by me, however. The interesting thing about Mary vs FLOS is that with The FLOS you got 3 real Motown signed Supremes - including 3 lead singers while with Mary, you got a bg singer taking over the lead. The FLOS were doing a real Supremes show while Mary was doing her solo show with Supremes songs. I don't know what the issue was. I saw Mary live in the 80's and no way was it a Supremes act. I applaud Mary's artistic vision to sing lead in her own show, but don't accept that as "preserving the legacy" or any such silliness. Also, I think it's mean spirited of Mary to fight former lead singers of The Supremes for singing their hits. Also, I applaud Motown for not allowing Mary to perform as The Supremes with her doing the leads in front of two unknowns - that is counter-productive to the legacy. In a perfect world, they'd all be BFFs and out doing their thing together.

supremester
06-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Marv2 is the epitome of the term fan. Mary is lucky to have him although she'd prefer he'd tone it down some, I hear. I can understand her point in that Diana Ross' fans will respond and the losers are Diana and Mary. He is, "selective" about his references ; ) :cool:
And those 4 cds that got released didnt take money out of Mary Wilsons pocketbook. marv2 is quick to say nobody is interested in the FLOS yet accuses them of flooding the market with cds. lol

marv2 also constatly write that nobody cares about Diane Ross yet the woman has more than 420,000 facebook followers yet nobody is interested in her. lol

Hed also like us to believe that he and Miss Wilson are real close friends yet its been said here that Mary doesnt really know him that well and doesnt like him around her. lol

Roberta

marv2
06-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Yeahhh, you could find those things in New York at the supermarket checkouts......."The Supremes......!" LOL!

Her manager? That thug? For the record [[no pun intended). Scherrie asked Mary if she would interested in joining this new group with her and Mary declined because she was already into her solo career for years by then. Sure she gave her blessings to them, Jean and Scherrie were her girls! Yes she did join them onstage when she went to support them in concert in LA. She also was in Detroit with us when the FLO's performed in the MotorCity Revue at the Ponchitrain but did not go onstage. She did visit with them backstage. Alllll of that had NOTHING to do with the releasing of all those CD's labeled "The Supremes" containing re-recordings of Supremes original hits. Some of those CD's even used photos of Mary, Flo & Diane on the covers! Ooooooh this pissed her off! LOL! That is why she went after the "FLOS"

Mary is a solo star by the way.

The reason why the FLOS rarely work in the U.S. is not in deference to Mary. Where'd you come up with that? Lynda Laurence told me, the reason they do not work much in the States is because their name was not big enough, meaning "The Former Ladies of the Supremes" aka "The Flos"! It was nearly 10 years later that she sued Kaaren Ragland's, "the Sound of the Supremes". That was spurred by the fact that Kaaren and company turned up at an awards ceremony in Germany to accept a Lifetime Achievement Award on behalf of "The Supremes"! Talk about having balls! hehehehehehehehe..... and true Kaaren RaggedyAss countersued claiming that she was a member of the Supremes in the 80's [[forget that the group dissolved/disbanded in 1977!)

Yes after years and years and millions of dollars, Mary struck a deal with the devil in 1990 hehehehehehehe bub bah to the "Supremes" name for a good chunk of money.

Now children , those are the facts whether you want to believe it or not. I am sure you will go on discussing this ancient bullshit for years to come and coming up with stuff like what the real players were thinking, what they were feeling at the time, why Diane wears a big weave, etc, etc, etc.......as Yul Brenner would say in the "King and I"! LOL!!!! There is nothing wrong with that as it is your right to discuss anything you like, just try to stick to the facts!

jobeterob
06-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Mary is not a solo star and never was. She has managed to survive with what she learned from Berry and in the Supremes.

Mary wants nothing to do with Marv.

REDHOT
06-25-2013, 06:33 PM
That is TRUE BayouMotownMan,Mary did join Former Ladies Of The Supremes on stage,here in La,more then one time,i was there, I think i'm a bigger Mary Wilson fan then anyone lol,i just tell the truth,no matter what,i think it was wrong for Mary to go after Former Ladies Of The Supremes,one of the reason Mary lost her case against Kaaren Ragland's Sounds Of The Supremes,they are a tribute act,like it or not,Mary Wilson is doing Mary Wilson,and doing a GREAT job at it,MARY MARY MARY MARY LOL,Please stay positive

marv2
06-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Mary is not a solo star and never was. She has managed to survive with what she learned from Berry and in the Supremes.

Mary Wilson is World famous! and Yeah, right! LOL!!!

marv2
06-25-2013, 07:39 PM
That is TRUE BayouMotownMan,Mary did join Former Ladies Of The Supremes on stage,here in La,more then one time,i was there, I think i'm a bigger Mary Wilson fan then anyone lol,i just tell the truth,no matter what,i think it was wrong for Mary to go after Former Ladies Of The Supremes,one of the reason Mary lost her case against Kaaren Ragland's Sounds Of The Supremes,they are a tribute act,like it or not,Mary Wilson is doing Mary Wilson,and doing a GREAT job at it,MARY MARY MARY MARY LOL,Please stay positive

Thank you Red Hot and always tell the truth and of course please stay positive!!!!!

marv2
06-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Here is one of those illustrious or rather infamous? CD's by "the FLOS"..........hehehehehe,

marv2
06-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Here's another one by "The Supremes" ....... NOT!

marv2
06-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Here's another one. My favorite one though is the rip off the Supremes Greatest Hits [[Blue Cover) album with the painting modified to show Scherrie, Lynda and Sundray's heads on the bodies......LOL!

marv2
06-25-2013, 08:33 PM
That's enough for now. I think you get my point.

jobeterob
06-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Gosh, 6 hidden messages in a row?

jobeterob
06-25-2013, 11:33 PM
With nothing in them?

I am remembering back 8 years when Marv was going to go tell Mary on "us" ~ his bad boys in the Forum.

So he walked to the mirror and ..............

Roberta75
06-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Lynda Laurence told me, the reason they do not work much in the States is because their name was not big enough!

lolololol If Lynda "really" did tell you that why are you and mary lol all worried and real upset about a handful of FLOS Cds? lol

You make me laugh marv2.

Best to you.

Roberta

jobeterob
06-26-2013, 02:08 AM
I don't think many of us like the misrepresentation on those CDS but as we've discussed, it appears the owner of the name Supremes does not care anymore.

But if they were all over grocery stores, then they must have sold oodles and wads and made some money for some Supremes, quasi Supremes and sometime Supremes, both in front and behind curtains. So they won't all have to come to Diane for money.

As my Ukrainian Grandmother would have said "Tanks Gud, for dat".

REDHOT
06-26-2013, 09:09 AM
When who ever released those cd's back in the day,Former Ladies Of The Supremes had no control over it,they made no money on the cd's,i don't even think Motown cared about the people that release the cd's,nothing ever happen,anyway that was a long time ago lol,anyway this is about Jean Terrell,Please stay positive

davidh
06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
this is just my opinion but, Diana is a pop singer and gave the Supremes their POP sound, and when Jean joined the group, ....jean is more of a soul singer and gave the Supremes soulful sound. I think this is why ,at the last minute BG changed his mind and wanted Syrita as lead singer as she sounds more like Diana? pop sounding?
anyway. I do think the Supremes sounded great with Jean and they had some great songs and albums. the first three with Jean are some of their best albums. unfortunately, Frank Wilson stopped producing them. I think had he stayed with them they may have survived longer. by 1973, the supremes were over and became a an oldies but goodies act.i look forward to the SUPREMES 70S LOST AND FOUND

BayouMotownMan
06-26-2013, 01:11 PM
That Marv spoke to Lynda Laurence is laughable. Mary isn't sure who he is but Lynda and Scherrie have photos of him

marv2
06-26-2013, 09:24 PM
That Marv spoke to Lynda Laurence is laughable. Mary isn't sure who he is but Lynda and Scherrie have photos of him

I could say something here in response that would blow this thread and your mind right outta the water, but I have practiced great restraint all these "internet years" that I am not going to give up the goose now! I am amazed that you still do not know who I am! LOL!!!!!

A few words of advice. Focus on the subject of the thread more and less on me. I promise you'll enjoy it more.

BayouMotownMan
06-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Yes Marvin you've been threatening to "blow" for years and never have. Like all hot air

marv2
06-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Yes Marvin you've been threatening to "blow" for years and never have. Like all hot air

I don't need to threaten. We are not stupid. I am content with who I know and what I know. You see we know...........[[ from your comments here, it is abundantly clear to me, that you do not know!)

I am not going to comment on this subject or rather tangent any further here. Sooooooo..... back to Miss Jean Terrell!

Ryon6
06-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Sounds encouraging :confused:

milven
06-26-2013, 11:06 PM
.... I am amazed that you still do not know who i am! Lol!!!!!

berry gordy ? ? ? ? ?

jobeterob
06-26-2013, 11:50 PM
LOL, Marv could blow a thread and his cool and his head. Why stop now? You do it every other thread and time.

He's off to South America to photo Diane.

TheMotownManiac
06-27-2013, 04:18 AM
Oh, WE know..........God bless you, Marv!
I could say something here in response that would blow this thread and your mind right outta the water, but I have practiced great restraint all these "internet years" that I am not going to give up the goose now! I am amazed that you still do not know who I am! LOL!!!!!

A few words of advice. Focus on the subject of the thread more and less on me. I promise you'll enjoy it more.

jobeterob
06-27-2013, 02:17 PM
I love the line............."Mary isn't sure who he is".

The ultimate blow.

BayouMotownMan
06-27-2013, 03:46 PM
I just saw Mary in July. She still isn't sure

supremester
06-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Pia Zadora??? Connie Chung???? Juan Valdez??? Yule Gibbons? Ewart Abner??? Give us a clue-----------PLEASE!!!!!!!!

jobeterob
06-27-2013, 05:41 PM
One of my guesses is Antony Weiner. But he is doing too well now.

There are some pictures of Diana arriving in Rio on another thread.

My other guess is Marv is the guy standing and watching in wonder and saying "I love you, Miss Ross".

jobeterob
06-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Um, Tiger Woods, Michael Steele or Rush Limbaugh.

jobeterob
06-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Maybe here?

supremester
06-27-2013, 06:58 PM
I was gonna suggest Michelle Bachman, but I think you have nailed it! Good job!

Maybe here?

TheMotownManiac
06-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Alec Baldwin, Paula Dean, Bobby Brown?????

LuvHangOva
06-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Joey Buttafuoco??
Ellie Mae Clampett?? Norma Desmond?? Sponge Bob??? Evilene , The Wicked Witch??

honest man
06-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Hmm THE QUEEN

REDHOT
06-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Really?this is about Jean Terrell,and everyone is making it about other former Supremes,come on,lets stick to Jean Terrell,Please stay positive

jobeterob
06-28-2013, 05:12 PM
LOL, @ Honest Man. That was funny.

The truth is that the likely reality is an unhappy miserable person without enough to do except pick on other people.

marv2
06-28-2013, 07:13 PM

Just for you Jobetty....... hehehehehe!

View of Saban Theatre Marquee at Mary Wilson Original Supreme Children Uniting Nations Benefit Concert December, 16, 2012, at Saban Theatre in Beverly Hills, California.

carole cucumber
06-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Just for you Jobetty....... hehehehehe!

View of Saban Theatre Marquee at Mary Wilson Original Supreme Children Uniting Nations Benefit Concert December, 16, 2012, at Saban Theatre in Beverly Hills, California.

Marv,

Would you be so kind as to honestly answer a question?

I typed the event and venue [[Mary Wilson and Friends Saban Theatre) into a search engine and got several mentions of the fact that the event was taking place and that tickets were available.
I then searched the internet for reviews of the evening- and amazingly found none.
With as big a solo star that Mary is [[your claim) and I love and respect Mary and all the Supremes for what they have done and continue to accomplish- I just don't get it. I would have expected [[from your claim) to read that this was a sold-out/SRO event plastered all over the internet, one that people would still be talking and posting about and at least dozens [[if not hundreds) of bubbly, positive reviews easily accessible.

Even at www.facebook.com/TheSabanTheatre [[http://www.facebook.com/TheSabanTheatre), there seems to be no mention of the event.

What happened??

carole cucumber
06-28-2013, 09:21 PM
I finally came upon the names of 3 of the performers, but still nary a review of the event - 1) Aanysa 2) Tori & Troi

https://twitter.com/toriandtroi/status/280848399643836416
When I looked at this photo, my first thought was Jean Terrell and Scherrie Payne

carole cucumber
06-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Marv will probably reply to your question at the same time that he replies to how he heard 5th Dimension's Love Hangover before it was recorded.

I did a search too. This may be an event that was cancelled 'cause I couldn't finad anything either. According to Mary's posted schedule, on Friday, December 16th, she was at the Wichita Art Museum in Wichita, Kansas.

Look again, the date you quote is from 2011.
Because the 3 young performers have posted photos on facebook and/or twitter, the event did take place- but ... funny.... Mary Wilson is not in a single picture with or mentioned by the girls. If she was lending her name to this project in order to sell seats, one might expect that someone would remark about a renowned solo star's presence/absence. Or did no-one notice or care?
Why would such an in-demand solo star not be mentioned further or pictured?
I wonder if ticket sales were underwhelming and the girls performed before family, friends and a few curious others.

milven
06-28-2013, 09:57 PM
I did look again. You are right. I was wrong. I deleted my post. I can admit my mistakes.

carole cucumber
06-28-2013, 10:07 PM
No need to wait for Marv... it appears he's now avoiding this thread because he's been challenged to admit again that he is off the mark.
Here's the info about the show you mention [[mentioned before you edited your post) , but please note the date ....

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?7372-Darlene-Love-In-Concert-with-Mary-Wilson-Cissy-Houston-As-Guest-Performers&highlight=darlene+Love+friends

And again, Luke and Marv indicate that they'll likely be there... but no reviews or remarks about the event posted here by either of them after the fact. Hmmh... interesting...

franjoy56
06-28-2013, 11:12 PM
My goodness what an active thread! I think The Temptations dodged a bullet with Dennis Edwards: the man who did the impossible: replacing David Ruffin. Jean Terrell, talented as she is, Supremely so in fact, wasn't able to fill Diana Ross' shoes. I do not believe at all the theory about Motown killing JMC as too much occurred to refute that. I DO believe many Supremes fans, just like me, lost interest. I just talked to a woman on the plane my age who "liked" the DR&TS hits, "LOVED" Up The Ladder - but no other JMC cuts. She likes Ross solo best except DoobeDoodnDoobe [["it gives me a back ache") Each time a new Supreme popped up, it was another strange face. I don't even think anyone but a few were even comparing the two acts anymore. JMC had their hits, Miss Ross had Ain't No Mountain and it was over. The Supremes got boing trying to emulate DR&TS years too late and new groups made them look silly. Some of their TV appearances are humiliating to even watch. I don't think Lady Sings The Blues had any effect on JMC cuz by then, it was all over but the shouting. They were playing to half empty rooms in Vegas - bad sign. I love The Flos - and am friendly with Lynda, Scherrie and Joyce but I do not approve of them issuing CDs of DR&TS/JMC hits under the name The Supremes. The Scherrie years is fine by me, however. The interesting thing about Mary vs FLOS is that with The FLOS you got 3 real Motown signed Supremes - including 3 lead singers while with Mary, you got a bg singer taking over the lead. The FLOS were doing a real Supremes show while Mary was doing her solo show with Supremes songs. I don't know what the issue was. I saw Mary live in the 80's and no way was it a Supremes act. I applaud Mary's artistic vision to sing lead in her own show, but don't accept that as "preserving the legacy" or any such silliness. Also, I think it's mean spirited of Mary to fight former lead singers of The Supremes for singing their hits. Also, I applaud Motown for not allowing Mary to perform as The Supremes with her doing the leads in front of two unknowns - that is counter-productive to the legacy. In a perfect world, they'd all be BFFs and out doing their thing together.

Well if the lady you are speaking of never heard Stoned Love, River Deep [[with my baby Levi, Floy JOy and Nathan Jones) she really didn't know the new Supremes at all, but there they were all in the top 20 regardless of the chart numbers.

franjoy56
06-28-2013, 11:33 PM
and to add to this on each of the albums where Terrell was featured there is at least 1-2 album tracks on each album that could have and should have been released as hit single examples:

Right On: "Take A Closer Look At me, or "Wait A minute before you leave"[[dub in Mary and Cindy) The Lovin Country [[edit for single release. right behind "Up the Ladder to the Roof
Instead of "Everybodys Got the right To love"

New Ways: "I Wish I were your Mirror" "Together We can make such sweet music
which would have followed up "Stoned Love"

Touch "Here comes the Sunrise" instead of "Touch" and released right as "Nathan Jones" fell off the top 20.

Floy Joy "Over and Over" in addition to all of the singles released or intead of one of them.they were all excellent choices esp. Automatically Sunshine.

Produced by Jimmy Webb "All I Want" instead of I Guess I'll miss the Man"

and a better spin edit/promotion on "Bad Weather" hands up!!!!

midnightman
06-29-2013, 02:39 AM
The story that BG would "wipe his hands" off the Supremes is just a fable, like other questionable Motown stories [[especially the bogus PR stories surrounding the Jackson 5 around the same time). Jean, Mary & Cindy were able to successfully carry on until 1972 when Jean got tired of it. After that, the group never really recovered despite the presence of Cindy, Scherrie and Susaye. Wished Linda stayed longer than she did too. I think if Jean had stayed, it likely would've continued the success of the Supremes but I think other groups in other labels [[Three Degrees, Pointer Sisters, Labelle) destroyed the Supremes better than Motown could and Motown was not focusing much on music in the latter half of the 1970s after Marvin Gaye almost single handedly changed the rules so I guess the Supremes were doomed anyway.

TheMotownManiac
06-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Awesome thoughts! I will put my 2 cents worth in:
and to add to this on each of the albums where Terrell was featured there is at least 1-2 album tracks on each album that could have and should have been released as hit single examples:

Right On: "Take A Closer Look At me, or "Wait A minute before you leave"[[dub in Mary and Cindy) The Lovin Country [[edit for single release. right behind "Up the Ladder to the Roof
Instead of "Everybodys Got the right To love" "Take A Closer Look" has a mundane verse and Loving Country is pure album cut material and would not get played. . Both are great productions. I would have followed Up The Ladder immediately with Wait a Minute, then at it's peak, release Then we Can Try Again or You Move Me. Singles need a strong verse AND chorus with a hook. These three have all. and I would keep The Andantes on all three. I would have delayed Stoned Love until Right On's third single had dropped.

which would have followed up "Stoned Love" I feel "Together" is too sappy lyrically and melodically it's only slightly better. There is no hook. Radio would not have touched it. "Mirror" was a strong possibility but needed some work and crisper vocals from all in the last half of the song. My choice: a radio edit of "It's Time To Break Down" because it has a cool jam vibe to it and unusual feel. It's what POP radio wants.

Touch "Here comes the Sunrise" instead of "Touch" and released right as "Nathan Jones" fell off the top 20. There isn't a sure shot to follow up Nathan Jones. My picks: Time And Love or a reworked Life Beats. Sunrise?? No way would that hit top 40. This is a weak album for radio. The Supremes were a singles act and Frank Wilson was dry. Touch was proof of that. It works on the album but is an absurd choice for radio.

Floy Joy "Over and Over" in addition to all of the singles released or intead of one of them.they were all excellent choices esp. Automatically Sunshine. I disagree about Over and Over and would have requested a smoother jean vocal for YWSSL and added Andantes to that as well as Sunshine for a sweeter, fuller sound.

Produced by Jimmy Webb "All I Want" instead of I Guess I'll miss the Man" I would have released both - but with stronger backgrounds on them. IGIMTM needed a fuller sound for radio.

and a better spin edit/promotion on "Bad Weather" hands up!!!! Nothing could save this except, maybe, Mary leading.

Instead of "Everybodys Got the right To love"

which would have followed up "Stoned Love"

Touch "Here comes the Sunrise" instead of "Touch" and released right as "Nathan Jones" fell off the top 20.

Floy Joy "Over and Over" in addition to all of the singles released or intead of one of them.they were all excellent choices esp. Automatically Sunshine.

Produced by Jimmy Webb "All I Want" instead of I Guess I'll miss the Man"

and a better spin edit/promotion on "Bad Weather" hands up!!!!

REDHOT
06-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Jean had a great run with The Supremes,but her heart just wasn't into it,like Mary Diana Lynda Scherrie or Susaye,they are still singing today,these ladies love singing,and entertaining,I really think Jean wanted out,no matter what,Please stay positive

blueskies
06-29-2013, 11:43 AM
I'd have to agree with Red Hot. Even with Jean's solo LP....not sure her heart was really in it. She seems to have run hot and cold at times. Jean was a fantastic singer and did great things with the Supremes...only wish it had lasted longer.

BayouMotownMan
06-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Very astute observation RedHot. Jean's heart was in it in the beginning but is a practical and very down to earth lady. She hated the fans gushing on her and felt that singing was her job but her personal life was no one's business. She is still a very private person. Also, other things began to wear her down. After working so hard to re-establish the group with her at the helm she had to watch it all come tumbling down when Motown yanked promotion. She also reasoned that most of the group's success was off her voice, she did most of the work. Whereas Diana went along with this Jean felt she wasn't being compensated appropriately. Tensions between herself and Mary increased as Mary continually took non-combative views with Motown and wouldn't speak up about their treatment, at least until it was too late. Then she met the man she would marry and wanted to come off the road and have a family. I agree that even if Bad Weather had been a hit, Jean still woud have left

franjoy56
06-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Very astute observation RedHot. Jean's heart was in it in the beginning but is a practical and very down to earth lady. She hated the fans gushing on her and felt that singing was her job but her personal life was no one's business. She is still a very private person. Also, other things began to wear her down. After working so hard to re-establish the group with her at the helm she had to watch it all come tumbling down when Motown yanked promotion. She also reasoned that most of the group's success was off her voice, she did most of the work. Whereas Diana went along with this Jean felt she wasn't being compensated appropriately. Tensions between herself and Mary increased as Mary continually took non-combative views with Motown and wouldn't speak up about their treatment, at least until it was too late. Then she met the man she would marry and wanted to come off the road and have a family. I agree that even if Bad Weather had been a hit, Jean still woud have left

Baymountainman. You said it all this is a very accurate and stunning observation of what happened with the Supremes while Jean Terrell was the lead singer, but we are very thankful the Supremes had a run after Diana Ross left the group, it was something Florence Ballard had been complaining about before she was fired.

franjoy56
06-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Awesome thoughts! I will put my 2 cents worth in: Nothing could save this except, maybe, Mary leading.

Great observations: I think you are right about "Its time to Break Down" that is a great track. But i still have some sentiment for "Here Comes the Sunrise" everything else you said I agree with but I still think "Over and Over" would have made some noise too.