PDA

View Full Version : Stop in the name of Love--Mary and Human Nature

test

luke
06-18-2013, 07:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tI2a71Dsfc Great performance-got chills! How the crowd loves Mary!

marv2
06-18-2013, 07:50 PM
I love that clip, how Mary comes out of the audience and onto stage to show them how it is really done!

luke
06-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Mary looks like shes lost weight.

marv2
06-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Mary looks like shes lost weight.

She has been looking slim and trim especially this year. She was very slim when I saw her last.

floyjoy678
06-25-2013, 01:05 AM
I get really annoyed that Mary doesn't do the original choreography for the song....stop and finger snap....its a very minor and stupid detail I know but it bugs me to no end lol. At least Diana still does the original choreography for the song.
All that aside Mary is still living up to her title as the sexy one [[though Florence was sexiest to me)

TheMotownManiac
06-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Well Diana was on the single, and thus has more invested in the tune than the others, so it makes sense she would honor the legacy and carry the torch for The Supremes by presenting the original, iconic moves. Mary looks great - even in that horrid outfit. Her insistence on showing more tit than anyone other than Lil Kim is harmful to the legacy, but she still is in fine shape - physically and vocally. She's thinner here than at the premiere and her love of being on stage and on camera is in full evidence. There are some pics of her at the premiere when not being photographed or interviewed and she was not "on" - was an interesting transformation.
I get really annoyed that Mary doesn't do the original choreography for the song....stop and finger snap....its a very minor and stupid detail I know but it bugs me to no end lol. At least Diana still does the original choreography for the song.
All that aside Mary is still living up to her title as the sexy one [[though Florence was sexiest to me)

floyjoy678
06-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Well Diana was on the single, and thus has more invested in the tune than the others, so it makes sense she would honor the legacy and carry the torch for The Supremes by presenting the original, iconic moves. Mary looks great - even in that horrid outfit. Her insistence on showing more tit than anyone other than Lil Kim is harmful to the legacy, but she still is in fine shape - physically and vocally. She's thinner here than at the premiere and her love of being on stage and on camera is in full evidence. There are some pics of her at the premiere when not being photographed or interviewed and she was not "on" - was an interesting transformation.
Well I know not a lot of people agree with my theory but I think both mary and flo AND the andantes are on the song, Louvain herself said she hears the andantes and Flo on the song. Either way Mary performed that song night after night the least she could do is show the real choreography cholly showed them and not the mess remake they did in '76 and '77. Again I love mary [[And Diana, Flo and the rest) and am not trying to turn this into another bashing thread but damn don't say you know the original dance steps when you really don't.

TheMotownManiac
06-25-2013, 06:11 AM
I agree, this is not about bashing the great Mary Wilson, no reason to ever, actually. I do disagree with you as I don't hear Mary or Soint Flo on the single - perhaps louvaine isn't listening to the single mix. Louvaine also says she is on TCB and Ed Sullivan. As for the chorepography, you're right it IS a small thing, but they had one iconic trademark move why mess it up???? -
Well I know not a lot of people agree with my theory but I think both mary and flo AND the andantes are on the song, Louvain herself said she hears the andantes and Flo on the song. Either way Mary performed that song night after night the least she could do is show the real choreography cholly showed them and not the mess remake they did in '76 and '77. Again I love mary [[And Diana, Flo and the rest) and am not trying to turn this into another bashing thread but damn don't say you know the original dance steps when you really don't.

marv2
06-25-2013, 09:27 AM

Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard and Diana Ross are all on the released version of "Stop In the Name of Love". Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

luke
06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Correct of course. More attempts to discredit.

TheMotownManiac
06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Respectfully, I say to three: I believe George and Andy. One of the many many many things I love about you is your ability to use or discredit source material at will to support your opinions. Usually, you dismiss anything Berry Gordy says, unless it's pro Mary - then it's word. Ditto Smokey and everyone else - including Andy & George. I don't see why a few Mary fanatics think it's an attempt to discredit her by stating that she's not on certain records. I think it's fascinating that The Andantes are SO amazingly talented that they could sound like Vandellas, Marvelettes, Supremes or whatever - also that producers are so creative as to adjust the sound as they feel they need to achieve their vision of their work of art and not just settle for the voices given to any one act. For heaven's sake, you don't see global icon Diana Ross' fans needing Valium enemas because they have double tracked, stripped down, echoed, non echoed her voice on certain songs. It's art. The sound is their paint. it's a creative vision. If it is important to you to believe Mary is on whatever you want her to be on - go for it! Life is what we make it and your world is your world - enjoy it!
Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard and Diana Ross are all on the released version of "Stop In the Name of Love". Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

marv2
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I reiterate:

rod_rick
06-25-2013, 06:50 PM

I'm not going to touch who's in the background, but for the choreography, it was changed in the 70's so I believe Mary is doing the 70's choreography instead of the 60's dance moves. Diana didn't fully do the stepps because she was singing the lead so she would fall into the choreography on occasion but not all the time.

jobeterob
06-26-2013, 02:16 AM
Correct of course. More attempts to discredit.

There is no need to discredit Marv or try to; he's done his own job in super Supreme fashion.

Trying to disregard Andy and George is more tomfoolery.

As Franjoy has said several times, the girls performed the song together many times and became iconic doing so. There is no need to rewrite history on what happened when they released the single. The Complete Singles tells the story.

A bigger question is how many other cuts and flip sides are there around with Andantes and no Supremes? Now that is a story and not one Marv will want to be credible about.

marv2
06-26-2013, 06:32 AM
There is no need to discredit Marv or try to; he's done his own job in super Supreme fashion.

Trying to disregard Andy and George is more tomfoolery.

As Franjoy has said several times, the girls performed the song together many times and became iconic doing so. There is no need to rewrite history on what happened when they released the single. The Complete Singles tells the story.

A bigger question is how many other cuts and flip sides are there around with Andantes and no Supremes? Now that is a story and not one Marv will want to be credible about.

....and once again, I must reiterate:

jobeterob
06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Well, I don't know for sure.

But neither do you Marv; despite your demeanor. As Susaye Greene once told you, "you weren't there either".

However, the reason I say the Supremes did not sing on the single version of SITNOL is because Andy and George said so in the Complete Singles. So I at least have some independent evidence. Marv has nothing.

There were other versions with the Supremes on and they sang it live with Diana Ross for several years.

I also have seen it written that more was coming about who sings on these songs in the limited edition of I Hear A Symphony but a request was made to not raise the issue further due to the high degree of distress it caused certain fans.

marv2
06-26-2013, 09:27 PM
One mo' time!

luke
06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Marv-correct me if Im wrong but I believe Harry and Andy agree with you. I guess u r all wrong and it's really Shantel, Karen R and Sundray back there. Crowded room.