PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Jun 18, 9P-12M ET: Jimmy Webb Tribute Part One!

test

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Howdy there, "Nightflighters"! Please join me tonight for part 1 of a 2 part tribute to my favorite singer/songwriter...[[yup...to me, he beats out Laura Nyro and Joni Mitchell....and that ain't no easy feat!)...Jimmy Webb. I try to do a Jimmy tribute at least once a year, but in checking my records, I missed him last year...so I've been able to find quite a number of Jim's tracks that I've never played [[some I've never even HEARD until preparing for this show). You'll hear a number of interviews and Jimmy's own versions of his songs, as well as countless artists that recorded Jimmy's song...a number of them, as you know, were Motown artists.

So do join me tonight for Jimmy Webb and so much more...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)

Thanks! John

PS...you may ask why is Jimmy Webb my favorite? The TEARS! Joni and Laura don't
take me quite that far. I will try to stay composed tonight!!! See ya on the Radiola!

kenneth
06-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Should be a great show. I love Webb almost as much as Bacharach and David, who are definitely my favorite pop tunesmiths. Speaking of "Tunesmith," I think that's the name of a great Webb double CD retrospective of his songs by many artists. The Supremes and some other Motowners are on that. It's a great set.

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Kenneth...yes...."Tunesmith" is a great set. But I also have much more...rarities and covers that I hadn't heard before. Hope you can make it!

Glenpwood
06-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Looking forward to a night in the "Magic Garden" with you John, our Tuesday night pals, and all those great artists like Johnny Rivers, The Supremes, 5D, Richard Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Glen Campbell, etc. who had the good taste to realize what a great talent Jimmy is.... see everyone there!

sophisticated_soul
06-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Looking forward to going Up-Up And Away in our beautiful NIghtflight balloon!:cool:

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Looking forward to a night in the "Magic Garden" with you John, our Tuesday night pals, and all those great artists like Johnny Rivers, The Supremes, 5D, Richard Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Glen Campbell, etc. who had the good taste to realize what a great talent Jimmy is.... see everyone there!

Glen.....looking forward to seeing you!!!

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Looking forward to going Up-Up And Away in our beautiful NIghtflight balloon!:cool:

Joseph.....yes....the "Nightflight" balloon....yes....I LIKE it.....see you shortly, my friend!

Glenpwood
06-18-2013, 08:41 PM

I know if we need hot air to fill our balloon for trip we can get some of it from whats being blown around in the latest Diana/Mary feud threads and rise above it all.....:D

sophisticated_soul
06-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I know if we need hot air to fill our balloon for trip we can get some of it from whats being blown around in the latest Diana/Mary feud threads and rise above it all.....:D

There's enough hot air there for a fleet of Hindenburgs!;) However, the world's a nicer place in our beautiful balloon. It wears a nicer face in our beautiful balloon. We can hear a song and sail along the Nighflight sky. For we can fly, we can fly. Up, up and away - and rise above the hate.

MotownLover
06-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Howdy, Howdy Howdy, Johnny!

Gonna be a GREAT show tonight, I know!

Howard in Long Beach, CA:o

sophisticated_soul
06-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I didn't realize "All I Know" was a Jimmy Webb tune. Learn something new everyday. I've always really liked that song.

Glenpwood
06-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Nobody better be using their phones while Art is singing or he may storm off the stage again!

Glenpwood
06-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Always liked ITACS.... I first heard it via Amy Grant's cover on her Lead Me On LP. Jimmy version has a bit more emotional depth to it for me though....

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Howdy, Howdy Howdy, Johnny!

Gonna be a GREAT show tonight, I know!

Howard in Long Beach, CA:o

Howard...great that you're here!!!!! John

kenneth
06-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Just tuning in.

I don't think the question is whether "Macarthur Park" will be played...I think the question is which version or versions will be played. I've loved that song by so many different people. Recently in Los Angeles it was performed in the real Macarthur Park as some kind of staged event.

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Welcome in, Kenneth!! I know....so many versions...so little time.....

kenneth
06-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I love that he's correcting the interviewer about the lyrics to "Macarthur Park!"

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 09:52 PM
i love that he's correcting the interviewer about the lyrics to "macarthur park!"

.................................................y es!

sophisticated_soul
06-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Thank You John. "My Christmas Tree" is one of my favorite Diana Ross songs.

kenneth
06-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Never heard the SInatra Xmas song before...very nice.

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Thank You John. "My Christmas Tree" is one of my favorite Diana Ross songs.
My pleasure Joseph.......

Kamasu_Jr
06-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Magic Garden by the 5th Dimension and Dusty! You got 'em?

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Sure do! ??? I'm playing the 5th's complete "Magic Garden" now....

sophisticated_soul
06-18-2013, 11:21 PM
What can brown do for you?

kenneth
06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Wow...Peggy Lipton...never even knew she sang. I guess her Teen Idol status probably started it. If she still married to Quincy Jones?

Glenpwood
06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Such a wonderful playlist tonight John....

midnight johnny
06-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Such a wonderful playlist tonight John....

Thank you so much Glen!!! And thank you all!!!! Have a great week!

sophisticated_soul
06-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Great writer, great songs, great show! Thanks MJ. Thanks everybody. See you all next time.:cool:

kenneth
06-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Can someone tell me what the last Richard Harris track was?

midnight johnny
06-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Great writer, great songs, great show! Thanks MJ. Thanks everybody. See you all next time.:cool:

Thanks, Joseph!!! Glad you enjoyed it!

midnight johnny
06-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Can someone tell me what the last Richard Harris track was?

Kenneth..."The Yard Went On Forever"

kenneth
06-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Thank you Johnny! Great song, very similar to "Macarthur Park." Heard the title before - maybe it was an album title? - but don't recall hearing the song before.

midnight johnny
06-19-2013, 01:33 AM
Thank you Johnny! Great song, very similar to "Macarthur Park." Heard the title before - maybe it was an album title? - but don't recall hearing the song before.

As I remember...it was an album title and it was the follow up to "MacArthur Park"

masterblaster
06-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Four Tops version of "Do What you Gotta Do" is my favourite Jim Webb track. This was featured on the "Now" or "Macarthur Park" albums. How many other Jim Web tracks were on the album? Never been able to get a copy of this album on CD.

midnight johnny
06-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Four Tops version of "Do What you Gotta Do" is my favourite Jim Webb track. This was featured on the "Now" or "Macarthur Park" albums. How many other Jim Web tracks were on the album? Never been able to get a copy of this album on CD.Well...."Do What You Gotta Do" is on "Four Tops-Motown's Greatest Hits", and "Macarthur Park" [[unedited) is on "Four Tops Gold"