PDA

View Full Version : A song survey

test

timmyfunk
06-15-2013, 10:06 PM
I started a survey on Facebook and I wanted to share it here as well. What are your top five favorite songs that were made before you were born?

robb_k
06-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Do you mean favourite song that was written before we were born, or favourite recording made before we were born?

splanky
06-16-2013, 07:25 AM
I think he means recordings made, robb...
Good Lord, Tim, I could be here all day long listing but since I don't have that kind of time
today I'll leave you with one right now:
He Beeped When He Should Have Bopped- Dizzy Gillespie featuring Alice Roberts.
Incidentally I may be one of the few people in the world who loved Alice's performance
of that tune as over the years I've read hundreds of reviews that attacked it. Literally.
Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington [[with featured vocalists) and Billie Holiday
recorded dozens of favorites of mine, hell I'll even have to throw in Fred Astaire's Slap That Bass!...

timmyfunk
06-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Definitely recordings Robb_k.

timmyfunk
06-16-2013, 08:05 AM
The original post has been edited. I would like your top five.

marv2
06-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Timmy, mine would include:

It' All In the Game - Tommy Edwards
Fever - Little Willie John
Don't Let Go - Roy Hamilton
Lonely Teardrops - Jackie Wilson
There Goes My Baby - The Drifters.

This was harder than I thought it would be. There are so many recordings I like that were around before I was.......

splanky
06-16-2013, 09:32 AM
As always this list is subject to change every hour but I'm going to give it a try...

All That Meat And No Potatoes- Fats Waller
Let's Do It- Ella Fitzgerald
Caldonia- Louis Jordan
Fine And Mellow- Billie Holliday
Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans- Louie Armstrong

then again in my head it's changing right now because my internal radio just started up
Louie Prima's Just A Gigalo....this is too hard, lol....

Kamasu_Jr
06-16-2013, 09:36 AM
There are lots of recordings made before I was born. I'd have to think about it.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
06-16-2013, 10:14 AM
"Stardust" - Hoagy Carmichael
"My Reverie" - varous artists
"Body & Soul" - Louis Armstrong
"All The Things You Are" - Artie Shaw
"Shine" - Louis Armstrong

This was easy for me since I posted these favorites on my Facebook page last week after discussing the early jazz era with Eugene Pitt. :)

~~Mary~~

Soul Sister
06-16-2013, 10:58 AM
"You'll Never Know" ~ Alice Faye
"When Did You Leave Heaven" ~ Bing Crosby
"Stardust" ~ Hoagy Carmichael
"I'm Afraid The Masquerade Is Over" ~ Lil Green
"Good Morning Heartache" ~ Billie Holiday

S.S.

alanh
06-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Could be an interesting list depending on the age of each respondent. 'Thriller' by Michael Jackson, for example, might be 'before they were born' for some people. So far it may be the more mature members replying :) For me [[assuming classical music is allowed):

On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Tommy Dorsey
Choo Choo Ch'boogie - Louis Jordan
Skyliner - Charlie Barnet
Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No 2
Joaquin Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez [[often known as the 'Guitar Concerto')

Jerry Oz
06-16-2013, 12:09 PM
The only song that I am certain would be on my list is "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat". I have to seriously think about the other four. There are an incredible amount of songs to consider.

Nothing But Soul
06-16-2013, 12:58 PM
"If I Didn't Care" - The Ink Spots - 1939. This was a tremendously influential record that set the wheels in motion for a music style that eventually evolved into doo wop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QeOTzExXT8

"Caledonia" - Louis Jordan - 1946. This song has been covered by many artists, including two of the most acclaimed blues artists of all time, Muddy Waters and B.B. King.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxmxVFoyOc

"Stormy Monday" - T-Bone Walker - 1948. This song has been covered by everyone, black or white, who has ever attempted to play the blues during the last 65 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz1sm3emUnQ

"Rocket 88" - Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats- 1951. This song, regarded by many as the first rock and roll record, was the first national hit to come out of Sam Phillips' Sun Studios in Memphis [[several years before Elvis set foot in the place). Although credited to Brenston, this was actually recorded by Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm, of which Brenston was a member.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfnh1oVTk0

"Sixty Minute Man" - Billy Ward and the Dominos - 1951. During a tribute to newsman Ed Bradley after his death, fellow journalist Steve Kroft noted that Bradley liked to sit in with Jimmy Buffett and his band to perform "Sixty Minute Man." Kroft pointed out that the song has nothing to do with journalism. It's also impossible for any mortal man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQuNY3XFI0

soulster
06-16-2013, 01:12 PM
I can't do just five.

Kamasu_Jr
06-16-2013, 03:16 PM
I can't do it either. I'm also not certain if Tim meant jazz or standards or rhythm & blues and rock n roll recordings made before my birth year 1977.

splanky
06-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Tim didn't specify a genre or format and even if he had I'm almost sure it wouldn't have
been Rock and Roll unless it was the black roots. As I said prior to listing five off the top of my head favorites ,mine were subject to change every hour [[in fact they already have) but
I participated to keep some interest in the forum active. He did say songs which I assume
meant preferably with vocals, so as much as I too like Rachmaninov as well as Bach, Debussy, Handel,Shubert, Dvorak and epecially Chopin unless one of those cats stepped up
to the front of a stage and let a song go out of the hearts, I wouldn't list them here.
Kam, I keep forgetting how young you are because your online presence is very mature
but if you were born in 1977 there are peak generation soul, R&B and funk acts who had
success before you dropped on the scene. Hell, the roots of hip-hop are older than that!
Dang!:)....

timmyfunk
06-16-2013, 04:02 PM
No need to get that cerebral about it, Kam. Your top five favorite songs regardless of genre. That's all she wrote.

timmyfunk
06-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Maybe I'll do albums next. That would really be a head scratcher.

Kamasu_Jr
06-16-2013, 06:59 PM
I hope my favorites don't seem immature compared to everyone else's. But as Splank said those were peak years for soul & R&B. So here goes. My Guy - Mary Wells , There's Always Something There To Remind Me- Lou Johnson, My One and Only Love- Nancy Wilson or Johnny Hartman, Ain't that Peculiar - Marvin Gaye and Respect- Aretha Franklin. I'll hear some recording and my choices will change.

tmd
06-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Smile- Charlie Chaplin
Iv'e Got You Under My Skin- Cole Porter
Somewhere Over The Rainbow- Judy Garland
Eternally- Theme From Limelight- Charlie Chaplin
Some Enchanted Evening- Rodgers and Hammerstein

robb_k
06-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Timmy, mine would include:

It' All In the Game - Tommy Edwards
Fever - Little Willie John
Don't Let Go - Roy Hamilton
Lonely Teardrops - Jackie Wilson
There Goes My Baby - The Drifters.

This was harder than I thought it would be. There are so many recordings I like that were around before I was.......
Gosh, Marv, I thought you were older than that! You're just a kid! those songs were out in my prime.

I'll have to list mostly pre-War [[WWII) songs to qualify. I can't even use my favourite songs from The '40s!!!

1) Stormy Monday Blues-T-Bone Walker
2) Terraplane Blues-Robert Johnson
3) Junker's Blues-Champion Jack Dupree
4) Baby Please Don't Go-Big Bill Broonzy [[1935 version)
5) Me and My Chauffeur-Memphis Minnie [[1934 version)

It's tough to choose-there's also a lot of Jazz I like an also Gospel from 1930-1945 [[and, of course, a lot more Blues as well)..
2)

Kamasu_Jr
06-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Robb, If Marv was born in 1960 or even 1963, that would make him around 50 years old. Some people do lie about their age. 50 Is considered a senior age in the US. You can get a membership in the AARP at 50. Lol. Nothing wrong with being 50. My dad turns 59 this year.

marv2
06-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Robb, If Marv was born in 1960 or even 1963, that would make him around 50 years old. Some people do lie about their age. 50 Is considered a senior age in the US. You can get a membership in the AARP at 50. Lol. Nothing wrong with being 50. My dad turns 59 this year.

Cut it out Kam! You heard him.........I am just a kid! LOL!!!!

timmyfunk
06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Somehow, I knew this thread would touch upon the subject of age. LOL!

GrtGzu
06-17-2013, 12:20 PM
- Hittin' the Jug - Gene Ammons
- Don't Go To Stangers - Etta JONES [[not James)
- I Love Paris - Billie Holliday
- Minnie the Moocher - Cab Calloway
- Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley and the Comets

Ngroove
06-18-2013, 12:14 PM
1. Temptations - My Girl [[1964) 2. Mary Wells - My Guy [[1964) 3. Martha Reeves & the Vandellas - I'm Ready For Love [[1966) 4. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - If This World Were Mine [[1967) 5. Mary Wilson - Pick Up The Pieces [[1979). Myself, born in 85', meaning I could mention disco, funk, electro, or new wave, but am first and foremost a Motown maniac, and sing along to them often outta nowhere, just because they make me feel good, almost every day.

timmyfunk
11-04-2013, 06:31 PM
It's All In The Game-Tommy Edwards
Tossin' and Turnin-Bobby Lewis
Fever-Little Willie John
What I'd Say-Ray Charles
Harbor Lights-The Platters

JimBagley
11-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters
Lonesome Town - Rick Nelson
You Send Me - Sam Cooke