PDA

View Full Version : A Motown Royal Reigns Supreme!

test

marv2
06-14-2013, 10:09 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/a-motown-royal-reigns-supreme-20130614-2o8mp.html

Mary Wilson hits the high notes. Photo: Tony Lewis

It's not a bad job, being Mary Wilson. It may not seem quite as glamorous as being Diana Ross but still, you get to dress up in sequins, travel the world, and there's no apparent retirement age.

At 69, Wilson, one-third of the Supremes, is still making a living from what she started doing at age 13 in a housing project in Detroit. In the annals of music, she will go down as Motown royalty and as such retains an imperious air. After several cancellations, she offers no apology for the flaming hoops I have had to jump through and the piping hot coals I have had to cross for the privilege of spending 20 minutes in her company, albeit by phone, to talk about her upcoming visit to Melbourne.

Still, she comes across as less of a diva than her former colleague, Diana Ross, whose belligerence is legendary. In Wilson's biography, Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme, she reveals that standing behind Ross emitting melodious ''oohs'' and ''ahhs'' was not all it was cracked up to be. Doe-eyed Ross, it seems, was a tiger in false eyelashes; away from the glare of the spotlight there were plenty of tantrums. When asked about her relationship with Ross now, her warm, slightly guarded voice suddenly develops a steel ring.

Wilson [[centre) with the Supremes, Diana Ross [[left) and Cindy Birdsong [[right) in London in 1968.

''It is really good, we are friends. We are sisters,'' Wilson says. ''People ask this question but I really don't get it; you have fights and disagreements with your family members but you don't hate them. People think that but I don't understand it. Perhaps it is because we have not come back together as a career, but in terms of our personal relationship, we are fine.''

Advertisement

The Supremes did in fact attempt a reunion tour in 2000 but a row over money scuppered the project. Both Ross and Wilson have carried on carving out successful individual careers long after going their separate ways in 1970. [[The third original member, Florence Ballard, died of a heart attack six years later when she was 32.)

Wilson is currently starring in Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Project, a tribute to the African-American singer, actor and civil rights activist based on the book of her life by author James Gavin, which headlines at this year's Melbourne Cabaret Festival. [[It is also featured in the Melbourne Recital Centre's American Songbook series.) Video clips, narration and film footage of Horne are interspersed with Wilson's renditions of her songs such as the melancholic Stormy Weather, and Bein' Green - a poignant duet she recorded with Kermit the Frog about skin colour and acceptance.

''Miss Horne was an iconic figure when I was growing up,'' Wilson says from her home in Las Vegas. ''She was very prominent in the black community; all the females in my family adored her because she was so beautiful. In those days you didn't often see black actresses; for a black to become famous was very hard.''

Horne was a trailblazer for the young Wilson at a time when she was trying to navigate her own heady career with the Supremes. In the days when a black woman's future was either as a mammy or maid, she was a beacon of hope for something different. The Supremes went on to become one of the most successful acts of all time; second only to the Beatles for No. 1 hits. Songs such as Baby Love and Where Did Our Love Go have become firmly entrenched in the Western psyche [[surely everyone knows the hand movements to Stop! In the Name of Love).

All this at a time when black leaders such as Martin Luther King were taking a stand against discrimination. The Supremes did their bit by providing a placebo to the civic unrest, using style to challenge racial perceptions. While others went to war with guns and rhetoric they rustled their sequins, buffed their nails and became one of the first groups to cross the cultural divide.

Their look was sugary yet wholesome: oodles of chiffon and sequins, wigs and false eyelashes that bedazzled rather than bewitched. Wilson pays tribute to the likes of Horne, Josephine Baker and Eartha Kitt - black women who knew how to dress. She and her fellow Supremes had started out making their own clothes from patterns bought at the local five-and-dime store, but at the height of their fame they had designers conjuring up beaded creations that weighed up to 16 kilograms.

Wilson, the only member to remain in the group from beginning to end, now owns and curates a travelling costume collection that contains 50 of their most glitzy gowns. It is, she points out, much more than a show about frocks; there's also plenty of memorabilia putting the Supreme story in its historical context. A few years ago it visited the Victoria and Albert Museum in London but will it be coming to Australia? ''It always can,'' she says.

Wilson's now a grandma who performs regularly. After 54 years, does she ever get fed up with singing Baby Love? ''You can get a little tired of it,'' she admits with a small laugh. ''There are some songs I like more than others, and some that I don't like at all!'' What are they? ''Oh, they change. One night I care for Reflections more than You Can't Hurry Love, but they were so well written and produced and I am just so pleased to have been there.''

She has just released her latest album, Life's Been Great to Me, in which she draws on her own experiences rather than just sings what is put in front of her. ''Now that I'm older I would like to explore my own feelings and bring those out. When I started singing I don't remember thinking, 'This going to be forever'. It's wonderful when your career spans your entire life.''

■ Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Project, Melbourne Cabaret Festival Opening Gala, Wednesday, June 26, Palais Theatre, Lower Esplanade, St Kilda. The festival runs June 26-July 7. melbournecabaret.com.

■ The show is also at the Melbourne Recital Centre on Friday, June 28, 7.30pm. melbournerecital.com.au

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/a-motown-royal-reigns-supreme-20130614-2o8mp.html#ixzz2WFLa4G1u

ejluther
06-15-2013, 01:08 PM
When asked about her relationship with Ross now, her warm, slightly guarded voice suddenly develops a steel ring. ''People ask this question but I really don't get it; you have fights and disagreements with your family members but you don't hate them. People think that but I don't understand it.''Oh, come on. I love Mary as much as the next real Supremes fan but this is a bit disingenuous; she can't understand after all her own public displays of dissatisfaction [[and Diana's response to Mary's RTL complaints) why people wonder about their personal relationship? Really, Mary? Regardless, she sounds like she's doing great and that makes me happy although the writer doesn't seem to personally like her much:
In the annals of music, she will go down as Motown royalty and as such retains an imperious air. After several cancellations, she offers no apology for the flaming hoops I have had to jump through and the piping hot coals I have had to cross for the privilege of spending 20 minutes in her company, albeit by phone, to talk about her upcoming visit to Melbourne.

Methuselah2
06-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Ejluther - Excellent observations. I think you cut right through it and nailed it all to the wall--about Mary and the writer. You're a fan but you can also see what's what. What a great posting--a terrific read. My hat's off to you.

Roberta75
06-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh, come on. I love Mary as much as the next real Supremes fan but this is a bit disingenuous; she can't understand after all her own public displays of dissatisfaction [[and Diana's response to Mary's RTL complaints) why people wonder about their personal relationship? Really, Mary? Regardless, she sounds like she's doing great and that makes me happy although the writer doesn't seem to personally like her much:

You make good points ejluther. Maybe Mary was real tired from flying hence her acting imperious and tardy.

Roberta

luke
06-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Oh come on -its been 13 years. They were together at Motown Musical premiere. Lets just believe Mary. The Berlin wall came down. The Racals reunited.

midnightman
06-16-2013, 06:45 PM
You gotta love the media, huh? LOL Always throw in a so-called beef that doesn't exist lol

TheMotownManiac
06-16-2013, 07:34 PM
This is why so many cannot abide Mary - she's as fake as a 3 dollar bill, but offsets it with her access to fans. Very well played, but I recall her crying outside Spago after Ross refused to see her backstage, she "just happened to go to Spago where Ross was throwing a party" and Mary was denied access. There are news cameras doing interviews outside the restaurant and poor Mary, could not understand why, just 2 years after Dreamgirl, and an hour after being told Ross didn't want to see her, is bawling on TV with no idea why. All that god daughter BS. LOL. The ten year delay of her CD - she knew it wasn't coming out "in a few months, in the fall, in the spring, early next year, very soon" or all the other BS lines about it including, for a few years, that HDH was producing it. Mary looks foolish saying she doesn't know why the press asks her about Ross. She should just say, "we had a rough patch, but we both love each other very much - in fact, we just saw each other" and leave it alone.
Oh, come on. I love Mary as much as the next real Supremes fan but this is a bit disingenuous; she can't understand after all her own public displays of dissatisfaction [[and Diana's response to Mary's RTL complaints) why people wonder about their personal relationship? Really, Mary? Regardless, she sounds like she's doing great and that makes me happy although the writer doesn't seem to personally like her much:

marv2
06-16-2013, 10:29 PM
You gotta love the media, huh? LOL Always throw in a so-called beef that doesn't exist lol

Exactly! There is no beef between Mary Wilson and Diana Ross today.

alexgarret
06-16-2013, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;172012]Exactly! There is no beef between Mary Wilson and Diana Ross today.[/QUOTE

jim aka jtigre99
06-17-2013, 01:26 PM
I wish Miss Wilson the best with her continuing endeavors-she has expanded to include many facets of her talents-the rock show, her Up Close shows, her Lena Horne tribute and acting. Continued success to her and all of the former Supremes.

TheMotownManiac
06-17-2013, 03:18 PM
There's not? What planet are you living on? There's a hundred head of cattle between those two and Diana Ross is riding herd. Do you think SHE'S over the things Mary said publicly during RTL? Assuming everything else is forgiven and forgotten [[which I don't believe) I doubt very much Miss Ross is cool with LaMare. I SAW her reaction to Mary approaching........ she didn't exactly go rushing up to her with open arms, she didn't even have open arms - or ANY arms or even a handshake or a hug or an ANYTHING. All she did was stand there limp and winced as Mary touched her mouth. LOLOL OMG, I will NEVER forget it. if I'm wrong, may I be buried with an undubbed copy Red Hot. In fact, Red Hot was there - he can verify it!
Exactly! There is no beef between Mary Wilson and Diana Ross today.

marv2
06-17-2013, 05:29 PM
People don't show you everything in public, nor will they tell you their true personal business no matter how nice you ask it! Especially the people you are referring to. I bet it would kill you faster if you found out Mary and Diane got together and played cards.......

These women are not fighting, nor do they hate one another, so I guess you'll have to find a new hobby.

luke
06-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Well said Marv. There are people who post here who know the truth but are gracious enough to respect Mary and Diana's privacy. If the rest only knew ...Thats what Mary is referring to.

marv2
06-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Well said Marv. There are people who post here who know the truth but are gracious enough to respect Mary and Diana's privacy. If the rest only knew ...Thats what Mary is referring to.

I know the truth. I also know what Mary told me about how to handle a lot of this........ you just reminded me. Thanks Luke!

jobeterob
06-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Mary shuns you and anyone with any connections here knows that!

You believe a twisted version of the truth and make things what you need to cope.

Mary to Diana is just "someone that she used to know". I don't think she has a beef with her either; she is just irrelevant.

Kelly Rowland deals with this situation much better than Mary ever did; probably, it is a result of higher education or something; her new song is about being jealous of Beyoncé. Anyone in those positions is jealous ~ admit it and forget it.

SupremeBoy
06-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Mary shuns you and anyone with any connections here knows that!

Wow! Hmmm, I did not know this. Funny he exalts her at every given turn and yet for all his praise she wants nothing to do with him.

marv2
06-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Wow! Hmmm, I did not know this. Funny he exalts her at every given turn and yet for all his praise she wants nothing to do with him.

Now what kind of sense does that make? LOL! Jobeterob does not know me at all!

Now try to figure that one out!