PDA

View Full Version : band of gold

test

thisoldheart
06-13-2013, 05:33 PM
although h/d/h's "band of gold" came out in 1970, it has always been the song that sounds as if it was written at motown in 1968 and that the writers held on to it. i think if this were true, it would have gone to the supremes, though it sounds better for martha and the vandellas. does anyone know if h/d/h held back songs to record later? jeez, i wish someone would write a detailed book about them. they never seem to have much to say ... but what a story they could tell!

thomas96
06-13-2013, 06:17 PM
I agree it really does sound like a '68 Motown tune. And yes, HDH really needs to tell more they'd have so damn much to say!

antceleb12
06-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Honestly, I think the Supremes would have sounded terrible on it, assuming Diana is singing lead [[Mary might sound better). But the way Freda sings it, I can't imagine anyone else singing it! Martha Reeves would have sounded great, no doubt. It's interesting that it's an HDH tune. It's a totally different sound, in my opinion, from their previous work at Motown.

roger
06-13-2013, 07:27 PM
"Give Me Just a Little More Time" always sounds to me like it was intended to be a FOUR TOPS single in 1968 ... :)

Love the CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD version of it anyway ...

Roger

captainjames
06-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Honestly even though she may have come later it sounds better suited for Thelma Houston or someone in that vein.

ralpht
06-13-2013, 11:12 PM
I can't tell you guys about the genesis of the song, but I can tell you about the night the rhythm track was recorded. Done in the evening at Tera Shirma Studio B. Man, the guys[[various Funk Brothers) were cooking on the track. I was standing in the control room with HDH and everyone was grooving on the sound and the energy of the take. When the take ended we were greeted with a high frequency hum coming out of the console. Things were new in the studio and a bug appeared that shouldn't have. I was mortified. The hum went to tape. So, the track we finally did get was not quite as hot as the track that got scrubbed. Didn't stop a hit record though.

franjoy56
06-13-2013, 11:14 PM
when I heard "Band of Gold" in 1970 i thought it was Martha and the Vandellas, and when I heard Give me jUst a little more time, I thought it was the Four Tops.

supremester
06-13-2013, 11:23 PM
I think Diana Ross would have hit #1 with it. I'll bet it was written with her in mind.

Honestly, I think the Supremes would have sounded terrible on it, assuming Diana is singing lead [[Mary might sound better). But the way Freda sings it, I can't imagine anyone else singing it! Martha Reeves would have sounded great, no doubt. It's interesting that it's an HDH tune. It's a totally different sound, in my opinion, from their previous work at Motown.

antceleb12
06-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I think Diana Ross would have hit #1 with it. I'll bet it was written with her in mind.

I can definitely see it during the post-Supremes years - like around "Upside Down" and "The Boss" when her voice really grew and matured. Yes, she could have made a killer dance track with it.

I can't tell you guys about the genesis of the song, but I can tell you about the night the rhythm track was recorded. Done in the evening at Tera Shirma Studio B. Man, the guys[[various Funk Brothers) were cooking on the track. I was standing in the control room with HDH and everyone was grooving on the sound and the energy of the take. When the take ended we were greeted with a high frequency hum coming out of the console. Things were new in the studio and a bug appeared that shouldn't have. I was mortified. The hum went to tape. So, the track we finally did get was not quite as hot as the track that got scrubbed. Didn't stop a hit record though.

That's amazing. The vibe must have been intense. How many takes did it take to get the final product, do you remember?

roger
06-14-2013, 04:27 AM
Actually folks ..

Of all the Invictus/Hot Wax hits the one that to me sounds most tailored for a Motown act [[in this case the FOUR TOPS) is this one ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQizt8o6gU

I can almost hear Levi singing it ... :)

Roger

Methuselah2
06-14-2013, 06:43 AM

Wonderful insider story, Ralph. Thank you.

Sotosound
06-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Actually folks ..

Of all the Invictus/Hot Wax hits the one that to me sounds most tailored for a Motown act [[in this case the FOUR TOPS) is this one ..

Roger

It might have suited Levi's voice, but I'm not so sure that he would have sung a song about demanding sex because he'd taken a girl out to dinner and footed the bill.

For the same reason, I bet he was never asked to sing "First I Look At The Purse". The main character in that song is seriously despicable.

motown01
06-14-2013, 03:15 PM

Hey Ralph,

Too bad that track hasn't been released. I think that I could handle a little hum - call it the 'bootleg' version.

ralpht
06-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Motown,
It was a little more than a hum. more like a higher pitched tone.
It was ugly, believe me.

ralpht
06-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Anticeleb,
I would almost bet that there were only two takes on that song. but don't take that to the bank.

Glad you liked the story Methuselah.

Sotosound
06-15-2013, 02:24 AM
I know of two versions of this track.

We have the hit version, and we have the longer version that tells the full story about why her new husband is sleeping separately - which was her call, not his.

I can also understand why the longer version was dropped. It's a little ponderous in places and doesn't maintain the relentless drive of the hit version.

Although the two tracks have some similarities, the arrangements are actually different and they clearly come from separate takes.

Ralph. Do you have any recollections about this?

theboyfromxtown
06-15-2013, 03:34 AM
http://soulfuldetroit.com/archive/index.php/t-4561.html

theboyfromxtown
06-15-2013, 03:35 AM
http://faac.us/adf/messages/165088/171186.html?1210524788

Jimi LaLumia
06-15-2013, 07:47 AM
I always thought, when it was released,that it would have wound up with The Supremes if H D H stayed at Motown: adjust the key, and Miss Ross would have owned that record!...but I also thought that Tammi Terrell would have owned that track if she had been in good enough health at the time...

ralpht
06-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Not really, Soto.

thomas96
06-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Ralph, were Invictus/Hot Wax tracks always recorded at Tera Shirma, or did they record somewhere else typically? And were various Funks typically on them or not?

Sotosound
06-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Not really, Soto.

No probs. If only H-D-H would join this wonderful forum!

ralpht
06-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Thomas,
HDH were using Tera Shirma exclusively until the put together their own facility.

ralpht
06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Actually, HDH wanted to purchase TS, but we couldn't agree on price etc...In reality, Studio B was new and I wasn't all that keen on selling it anyway.

marv2
06-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Actually folks ..

Roger

That was definitely a Detroit hit! It was played all the time when it came out.

Jimi LaLumia
06-15-2013, 01:41 PM
"..Piper" was a big NY hit as well, Music Radio 77WABC AM played it to death... Fabulous record..

thomas96
06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Actually, HDH wanted to purchase TS, but we couldn't agree on price etc...In reality, Studio B was new and I wasn't all that keen on selling it anyway.

Interesting... Is Tera Shirma still there in Detroit?

ralpht
06-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Just the building, Thomas.

Kamasu_Jr
06-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Was Freda there when the first track was attempted. Lord she was a fine woman, still is. They would have barred me from the studio because I would have been trying to get next to her. There's an article in one of Freda's hits collections asking if she was the new Diana Ross. I can only see Freda singing that song.

thomas96
06-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Just the building, Thomas.

Oh, too bad. Do you think it'd be worth seeing when I go to Detroit this summer? Or should I not bother as it's just the outside? Thanks, Ralph.

ralpht
06-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Just the outside, Thomas.

ralpht
06-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Kam, Freda wasn't present for the tracking session.

Kamasu_Jr
06-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Bummer Ralph. My dad remembers Freda Payne literally stopping traffic, crossing that street near the GM Building. She almost caused several accidents. Detroit used to have some fine women there, as Shorty Long said: "Some breath taking, devastating beauties."

ralpht
06-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Freda was and IS all of that Kam.