PDA

View Full Version : Soul sister

test

Kamasu_Jr
06-13-2013, 02:05 PM
I didn't know Mr. Scott once lived in Youngstown. Does he remember the city? I'm told Youngstown was once quite a city back in the day. There was a loot of niightlife in the black part of town. My grandparents met and married there before moving to Detroit where my dad was born. They all moved back to Youngstown in 1970 when my grandfather retired. My mother went to Ohio State to be closer to my dad. I was born in Youngstown in 1977...the day Elvis died. Smalll world. Mr. Scott having lived there too.

Soul Sister
06-13-2013, 06:06 PM
I'll have to ask him when he wakes up, Kam.
I know his foster mother was Mrs. Eva Wade. She treated him and his two younger brothers really well. Unlike the previous one, lol.

Your family has a great history there.

S.S.

Kamasu_Jr
06-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Glad Mr. Scott was treated well. One thing about Youngstown, folks tended to identify you by your family name back in the day. My dad was a Washington, which was his mother's maiden name. There are probably still some Wades in Youngstown. What side of town or what area did Mr. Scott live in? Was it the south or east side, aka the Sharon Line.

Soul Sister
06-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Yes, he said Mother Wade was a very nice lady.
He said the biggest family/name he remembers was Carpenter, he went to school with the sons. He attended Youngstown High School. The Carpenter boys' father was a Preacher.
Jimmy had a job working at a Barber Shop shining shoes and sweeping the floors, cleaning up after hours so the shop would be ready for the next business day. He said most of the businesses were owned by Italians who were in the rackets. It wasn't until the early 1940's that he played some of the local clubs after he was living back in Cleveland. He did shows in Akron, Youngstown and Canton. There was some black owned clubs back then by numbers runners but most of them were Italian owned.
Sorry Kam, but Jimmy doesn't remember what side of town it was on or if he ever knew, funny he remembers the house number 411 but forgot the street name, that was some 75 years ago. He said he didn't hang out while he lived there he stayed close to home. Not like in his hometown of Cleveland where he wandered all over the place, lol.

S.S.

Soul Sister
06-14-2013, 06:55 PM
You here, kam?

:),
s.s.

Soul Sister
06-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Bumping for Kamasu.