PDA

View Full Version : "The Right On Album"

test

franjoy56
06-13-2013, 01:09 AM
The Supremes first post Ross album came rushing out of the gate in June of 1970 and boy was it filled with revealations as to why Jean Terrell was the best choice The Supremes could have ever hoped for for a continuance in their legacy. boy did she jump on those songs every one of them has her stamp of her distinct soulful and pop inflections including "Everybody's got the Right to Love" its a shame Mary and Cindy weren't added to many of those uptempo tracks that could and should have been released as singles: "Take a closer look at Me" "Then We Can Try Again" "Wait a minute before you leave me" wow. and a #25 showing without Motown's promotion the cover was flawless inspite of the rehased Drats gowns on the cover. You go Ms. Terrell.

jobeterob
06-13-2013, 01:58 AM
It was an excellent album, fold out sleeve, trade ads all over ~ there was good promotion. Mary says it didn't sell well, but it sold the best of the albums and it deserved to do better.

captainjames
06-13-2013, 09:43 AM
I do have to admit I did Love this album, I just could not get into "The Loving Country" no matter how many times I played it. I always thought the girls should have ended it with something like Come and Go with me back up the ladder or something like that.

reese
06-13-2013, 09:46 AM
One of my favorite Supremes albums. I kept the poster on my wall [[along with the poster from TOGETHER) for the longest time.

franjoy56
06-13-2013, 10:54 AM
I do have to admit I did Love this album, I just could not get into "The Loving Country" no matter how many times I played it. I always thought the girls should have ended it with something like Come and Go with me back up the ladder or something like that.

But the album did better on the charts than Cream of the Crop ironically but one notch under Let the Sunshine In, but the production on Right On was definelty better than both of the last two Supremes studio albums in 1969, and the cover and back cover shots showing glowing shots of the Supremes.

roger
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
According to TCMS this little gem was considered for the first JMC single at one time rather than "Up The Ladder To The Roof".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkkbb-58Eq4

I would agree that "Ladder" made a better 45 but can anyone explain to be how it didn't even make the L.P.

Roger

luke
06-13-2013, 01:03 PM
A truly smashing debut for Jean and the Supremes. As Frank Wilson loved Mary and Cindy's voices I wonder why he also used the Andantes?- Jean has debunked the story that she was initially signed as a solo act. I always felt You Move Me a great underrated performance by her -she really lets loose at the end.

marybrewster
06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
LOVE the "Right On" LP; what a shame though that the front cover featured JMC in DMC dresses, with ROWS of beads missing from Jean's sleeve.

Clearly there was not Photoshop in 1970.

supremester
06-13-2013, 04:33 PM
I love this album. I think Side 1 is the most cohesive Supremes side 1 since Reflections. The productions are all first rate as are the vocals. Wait a Minute would have been good single choice - I LOVE Then We Can Try Again, but, there's really no hook - I don't know if it would have sold that well. Take A Closer look has the nucleus of a hit single, but needs some work. I don't know why it's a shame that Mary & Cindy are not on some cuts. They sound great - why is it a shame? Side 2 was more album filler-ey but still good. certainly better than the horrid stuff on the previous year's Let The Sun Shine In. One year difference, amazing. I had the poster up immediately but secretly wished they weren't wearing Ross' gold gown as it didn't work on Jean as well and they were in disrepair. And I hated Cindy's hair. I think the problem with the poster is that they should have gone in a newer direction like on New Ways. I know it was difficult to decide how to optimize the biggest lead change in pop history - and it almost worked. The Supremes had always been an AM friendly group - but hadn't had a successful album out since HDH left. Right On was the first in years to present a cohesive collection of good tracks. After decades, I've softened to Let The Sunshine In and love Child, but it took decades and I still don't play the duets with The Tempts straight through.
since as a rule, Motown did not promote albums - what do you wish that they would have done? 2 singles, massive TV and nonstop touring - what else was there to do? I think it didn't do better because Supremes albums weren't good for years and, of course, many didn't like the group after Ross left. Regardless of anyone's love for Jean or hatred of Ross - the fact remains a sizable segment of the population loved her then, and still do. Up The Ladder was a hit, but not huge. Singles sell albums and these singles, though I loved both, weren't that big.

jobeterob
06-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Motown struggled with keeping the Supremes "as they were" and changing them enough to make them new and different and did a pretty good job. In retrospect, I agree with Supremester ~ they should have changed them a little more and a little quicker; the poster looked a little old.

I would have gone with Wait A Minute instead of Everybody's Got the Right to Love for the 2nd single. The album was great.

mowest
06-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I think that the songs produced by Frank Wilson had Mary and Cindy only while those with other producers had the Andantes.

marv2
06-13-2013, 07:35 PM
LOVE the "Right On" LP; what a shame though that the front cover featured JMC in DMC dresses, with ROWS of beads missing from Jean's sleeve.

Clearly there was not Photoshop in 1970.

I can promise you, no one noticed that or even cared back when this album was released. They looked spectacular and sounded better as a group than ever!

supremester
06-13-2013, 08:23 PM
This is a great production and the best example of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear that I can think of. The lyric says nothing but you don't realize it cuz the melody of the verse is so mundane and monotonous that you lose track of the message. Yet, it's catchy and the hook is very very well crafted. I don't think, ultimately, it's good enough to be on Right On! But sounded more like New Ways But Love Stays. The album that needed it, Touch, really needed the lift it would have gotten from it. That's the album where JMC began to implode and Motown wisely saw Frank Wilson had run out of ideas and moved them to Smokey.
According to TCMS this little gem was considered for the first JMC single at one time rather than "Up The Ladder To The Roof".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkkbb-58Eq4

I would agree that "Ladder" made a better 45 but can anyone explain to be how it didn't even make the L.P.

Roger

supremester
06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Oh, people noticed. All Supremes fans knew they were wearing "worn/torn dresses that Miss Ross had thrown out, the varying background voices made us live in doubt, that Mary & cindy weren't the only ones that graced the grooves that turntables spun as New Supremes!" [[a recently discovered fourth verse) It is true that most didn't care that much if they were old gowns of it other voices were still being used. We liked the group no matter who was singing on it!
I can promise you, no one noticed that or even cared back when this album was released. They looked spectacular and sounded better as a group than ever!

captainjames
06-13-2013, 09:08 PM
No "we" knew but I am not sure I am the best authority on if "we" cared. Even back then "we were aware that the gowns were out there and came with a pretty $$. "We" were just not sure who would get what. I believe we knew and expected.. I think the question back then was "who was wearing Diana's gown believe it or not.

davidh
06-13-2013, 09:46 PM
great album. think LIFE BEATS was produced by Harvey Fuqua, and not Frank Wilson. Frank was allowed to use the songs he wanted because his song with the Supremes was a hit, UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF sold well at 800,000 copies. a very good start and now I think it's a classic.
I would have issued LIFE BEATS as a single. I love it. there seems to be a lot of extras from this album. maybe one day we will get an expanded version of this album.

supremester
06-13-2013, 09:56 PM
I kind of didn't like seeing those dresses on Jean Terrell & The Supremes. Especially the black Forever came Today gowns. I liked that there were 3 different sizes in the tight ones. Jean kind of homogenized the group visually - hence that crack in Life magazine. I knew they were expensive, but i assumed they were all so rich that money was the last of their concerns - as it should have been. Royalties aside, those vanishing performance fees are heinous. WHY did Diana & Mary sign those new contracts in 1970????????????

franjoy56
06-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Jobete, I completely agree with you for a change. good choice for a 2nd single.

144man
06-14-2013, 06:12 PM
great album. think LIFE BEATS was produced by Harvey Fuqua, and not Frank Wilson. Frank was allowed to use the songs he wanted because his song with the Supremes was a hit, UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF sold well at 800,000 copies. a very good start and now I think it's a classic.
I would have issued LIFE BEATS as a single. I love it. there seems to be a lot of extras from this album. maybe one day we will get an expanded version of this album.

Close! - "Life Beats" was produced by Johnny Bristol.

midnight johnny
06-14-2013, 07:38 PM
I think that the songs produced by Frank Wilson had Mary and Cindy only while those with other producers had the Andantes.

The Andantes are on "Up The Ladder" and a number of others from "Right On".

davidh
06-14-2013, 09:03 PM
thanks 144man. I have senior moments lately

davidh
06-14-2013, 09:04 PM
someone described this album as Elegant Soul. I would agree.

supremester
06-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Yes, and a lovely addition they are! Life Beats is The A's as well. I do think it's just Mary & Cindy on Everybody's got the Right To Love and Stoned Love lyrics [[might be the A's doing the "oooooooooooooo's" whadddya think, Johnny ?

The Andantes are on "Up The Ladder" and a number of others from "Right On".

marv2
06-14-2013, 09:32 PM

That is true. I recall Rev. Frank Wilson saying that himself. Jean Terrell said so too.

supremester
06-14-2013, 09:42 PM
I'd love to see Frank saying that since clearly on many Right On cuts Mary & Cindy are not there. Especially where Jackie Hicks is standing out or there are 3 voices. Not that it matters to me - they are great tracks, but Mary & Cindy can't make the sounds on a lot of Right On - especially Up The Ladder. It's just nice to recognize the amazing contributions of The A's - fine ladies with killer voices. Look at Love Child alone - they were fierce.

That is true. I recall Rev. Frank Wilson saying that himself. Jean Terrell said so too.

blueskies
06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Is that Cindy that's so prominent on the background on "Life Beats"?

marv2
06-14-2013, 09:48 PM
I'd love to see Frank saying that since clearly on many Right On cuts Mary & Cindy are not there. Especially where Jackie Hicks is standing out or there are 3 voices. Not that it matters to me - they are great tracks, but Mary & Cindy can't make the sounds on a lot of Right On - especially Up The Ladder. It's just nice to recognize the amazing contributions of The A's - fine ladies with killer voices. Look at Love Child alone - they were fierce.

I would too! That would mean he'd still be alive! Not to worry though, there are enough people left in the World that knows that is what he said and how felt about recording the Supremes. He loved Mary's voice which is why he had her sing part of the lead on Touch.

Anything else anyone says on here other than what Frank said himself, I know is untrue so there is no argument to be had.

Methuselah2
06-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Didn't think any beading was missing. Seemed to me to be deliberate breaks in the beading pattern. But I could well be mistaken.

See what you think about this shot:

http://www.koolkatjazz.com/catalog/images/P1130231.JPG

midnight johnny
06-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Yes, and a lovely addition they are! Life Beats is The A's as well. I do think it's just Mary & Cindy on Everybody's got the Right To Love and Stoned Love lyrics [[might be the A's doing the "oooooooooooooo's" whadddya think, Johnny ?

supremester...I think you are absolutely right. When I first heard "Lifebeats", I was really struck with how the backgrounds sounded so cleanly and clearly Mary and Cindy...and it was such a wonderful background performance.
John

luke
06-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Correct Marv. Frank Wilson quoted in a number of places that he loved their voices and wanted to bring them "up front." Let those who dont agree find where he DIDNT say it. lol silliness,

franjoy56
06-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Correct Marv. Frank Wilson quoted in a number of places that he loved their voices and wanted to bring them "up front." Let those who dont agree find where he DIDNT say it. lol silliness,

All i know is when that album hit the streets in May of 1970 i didn't walk i ran to the record store looking for it when the Motown Office in New York told me that the New Supremes album will be called "Right ON" and i asked what was the date it would be in the stores. and once i put it on the turntable i couldn't turn it off. I loved every track on this album "Then I met you" was my least favorite though it has grown on me over the years. It was strange hearing a new Suprmes album with out Diana fronting it.

luke
06-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Me too Fran. And Ive never liked Everybodys Got RTL. The rest of it is sublime. Maybe the best of all Supremes albums EVER IMO.

detmotownguy
06-15-2013, 12:06 PM
I was living in Detroit when Right On was released; the neighborhood was very excited about the new release. I remember people sitting on their front porch on hot summer nights listening to it. I also remember neighbors sharing the album; but only for a day until they could go buy their own copy. The support for the " new group" was phenomenal. Those were great times in the Motor City. Another major event was their appearance on the Glen Campbell TV show. There was alot of excitement on the sound of the new group.

All i know is when that album hit the streets in May of 1970 i didn't walk i ran to the record store looking for it when the Motown Office in New York told me that the New Supremes album will be called "Right ON" and i asked what was the date it would be in the stores. and once i put it on the turntable i couldn't turn it off. I loved every track on this album "Then I met you" was my least favorite though it has grown on me over the years. It was strange hearing a new Suprmes album with out Diana fronting it.

detmotownguy
06-15-2013, 12:19 PM
You are right Marv. The public took notice of the cohesiveness of the new group, not mention their talent.

rod_rick
06-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Is that Cindy that's so prominent on the background on "Life Beats"?

Yes that's Cindy :)

rod_rick
06-15-2013, 04:18 PM
It's possible that the A's are on the recording with Mary and Cindy but not instead of. It's fine to get help but to replace them is another story imo. When the A's recorded it was three of them in the background, Mary & Cindy had to duplicate three voices

TheMotownManiac
06-15-2013, 04:22 PM
well, considering you said that you and Mary talk, that she visits MWOS regularly and then changed it to "from time to time" and then banned the MWOS member who contacted Mary who denied knowing you or ever being to the group and that Ross was broke having given all her money to Bernie Madoff, please for me if I, and others might like to see the link to the interview where he said this. I'm sure he loved JMC and their voices and used them whenever he could as needed, but those with sensitive ears hear others [[as well as session notes etc) until then, respectfully, I say to three: I hum-bu-ly must dis-a-gree with you and those others in the World.
I would too! That would mean he'd still be alive! Not to worry though, there are enough people left in the World that knows that is what he said and how felt about recording the Supremes. He loved Mary's voice which is why he had her sing part of the lead on Touch.

Anything else anyone says on here other than what Frank said himself, I know is untrue so there is no argument to be had.

TheMotownManiac
06-15-2013, 04:56 PM
I never noticed it before but there are missing lines of beads on both Mary & Jeans arms. You can see where one line on Jean's arm breaks off. Must have been expensive to fix. I saw Diana Ross lose a bunch on stage in Oklahoma.
Didn't think any beading was missing. Seemed to me to be deliberate breaks in the beading pattern. But I could well be mistaken.

See what you think about this shot:

http://www.koolkatjazz.com/catalog/images/P1130231.JPG

captainjames
06-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Cindy's gown may be in take because it has not been changed that much but Mary had to fit in Diana's and Jean had to go into Mary's .........................BOM !!!!! any questions ?

TheMotownManiac
06-15-2013, 05:38 PM
I still don't care for Then I Met You but The loving Country has grown on me some, but I still think it's corny. the rest of Right On is stellar and the greatest vocal debut on Motown I can think of. Motown should have rebranded the group as Jean Terrell & The Supremes to give them distinction and avoid the conflagration of members that would soon make The Supremes mean "who are they today?" To me, they weren't The Supremes. DMF were and still are. Jean was good enough to have her name out front.

davidh
06-15-2013, 08:45 PM
was it that Mary and Cindy couldn't make the correct sound or they just weren't used. the A's were used on all the groups including the 4tops etc. not just the Supremes.
I think it was just the Motown practice to use the A's on the demo's and then they just kept the vocals as is to save money and time. there are plenty of songs where the Supremes sound just fine to me

ejluther
06-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Jean kind of homogenized the group visually - hence that crack in Life magazine.What crack was that?

marv2
06-16-2013, 11:11 AM
What crack was that?

First of all it was in Time Magazine and not Life where the silly reporter made the comment that you need to memorize the Supremes wigs in order to tell who is whom.

TheMotownManiac
06-16-2013, 07:15 PM
What's second of all??? I don't think it was silly at all - that is how most of the world viewed the revolving door that The 70's Supremes became known as. There was never a question of talent as all Supremes were very talented vocally. Cindy being the least, IMHO. However, as pop vocal groups began to fade away in the 70's, The Supremes needed more than Jean Terrell and a scapegoat of no promotion [[program directors play records they think their audience will like) The comment was made because there was no standout individuality in the group and is why there was a steady erosion of public interest in the group. Hit singles don't mean anything - Band Of Gold didn't hit because the public loved Freda Payne - no one knew her. JT&TS albums and ticket sales tanked because they were boring - except to the Supremes fans who held on and the very few who joined. in 1971, despite all their JT&TS hits, they failed to sell out The Frontier - Diana, with only 1 hit [[albeit HUGE) didn't always sell it out either - but was close. The Frontier dropped JMC in '72 but tried to re-sign Ross who moved up to the #1 club in the world - Caesars Palace. It would have been wise to dub them Jean Terrell & The Supremes and draw attention to her high degree of talent - she eventually grew into star material, but it was too late as the public had split and neither Jean nor Lynda could stand Mary. When I saw them at Mill Run in '72, they were sharing the bill and not, I repeat, not, sold out. I was sorry Jean didn't do Bridge Over Troubled Water again as it was a standout from the previous year. Their hits medley's were unlistenable. Lynda had the best personality by far while Mary was the prettiest and Jean, the voice. Even with 6 top 20 hits in 2 years, It wasn't enough to save them
First of all it was in Time Magazine and not Life where the silly reporter made the comment that you need to memorize the Supremes wigs in order to tell who is whom.

franjoy56
06-18-2013, 01:02 AM
"Right ON" was a great album and I think had Mary and Cindy been put on some of those upbeat songs like "Take A Closer Look At Me" "Then We Can Try Again" and "Baby Baby" they would have sounded just fine, when you hear Mary and Cindy singing Livin In Shame on the Hollywood Palace live they sound just as good if not better than the single . I swear I hear Mary and Cindy on "I Got Hurt Trying to be the only girl in your LIfe" When the second post Ross album came out New Ways the only track I think i hear the A;s on is "Shine On Me" all the others are JMC.

jobeterob
06-18-2013, 01:49 AM
The reasons cited for using Andantes over group members are:

~ they were often better than the group members
~ they were what the producer wanted for sound
~ the group members were sometimes away
~ other than the lead singer, it didn't matter that much.

REDHOT
06-18-2013, 08:09 AM
I still love THE SUPREMES RIGHT ON album today,no matter what,Mary Cindy and Jean had a great start,i love Berry Gordy,but he was NEVER gonna let THE SUPREMES out shine his star Diana Ross,NEVER,no matter how great they were,how sad.Please stay positive

kenneth
06-18-2013, 09:04 AM
I do love the "Right On" album though I think none of the tracks is equal to the leadoff single, "Up the Ladder to the Roof." I think the album suffers a bit from having too many original songs which blend together a bit much, similar though not ending up as bland sounding as the "Floy Joy" album. Still, I love Frank Wilson's work and think he only improved in time with the "New Ways" and "Touch" albums, the latter which is still my favorite Jean Terrell-led Supremes album. A few popular songs or even Motown covers would have helped "Right On," I think, though overall I still consider it a very good album.

davidh
06-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I also think that some of these tracks were recorded with Jean before she became a supreme. wasn't some of these tracks demos from earlier in the year and used here. from what I read there r many out takes from this album including covers such as ALL I NEED originally recorded by the Tempts. I think there was a cover of a Miracles track called STANDING OVATION

Jimi LaLumia
06-18-2013, 04:31 PM
I still love THE SUPREMES RIGHT ON album today,no matter what,Mary Cindy and Jean had a great start,i love Berry Gordy,but he was NEVER gonna let THE SUPREMES out shine his star Diana Ross,NEVER,no matter how great they were,how sad.Please stay positive
..and he admits it, in MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, when he hears "Up The Ladder..." in the background while Ross is rehearsing her solo show, and "Reach Out And Touch" had stopped at #20 in the Billboard Pop Singles Chart...at least now he admits it!..it signals what was really in his head..he also tried to pull the plug on "Stoned Love"..

franjoy56
06-18-2013, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=Jimi LaLumia;172279]..and he admits it, in MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, when he hears "Up The Ladder..." in the background while Ross is rehearsing her solo show, and "Reach Out And Touch" had stopped at #20 in the Billboard Pop Singles Chart...at least now he admits it!..it signals what was really in his head..he also tried to pull the plug on "Stoned Love"..[/QUOTE)
Well thank god he didn't because all hell would have broken loose "Stoned Love" was considered the Supremes' shinning star, its bad enough it didn't get the title on the Album which probably would have made it a number one record, Mary was upset about that and so on and so forth.

kenneth
06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
..and he admits it, in MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, when he hears "Up The Ladder..." in the background while Ross is rehearsing her solo show, and "Reach Out And Touch" had stopped at #20 in the Billboard Pop Singles Chart...at least now he admits it!..it signals what was really in his head..he also tried to pull the plug on "Stoned Love"..

@Jimi,

You may have posted elsewhere but what was your impression of the musical? I'm anxious to hear your opinion.

Jimi LaLumia
06-18-2013, 10:31 PM
haven't made it into town yet to see it.. hopefully in the next week or so.. but I've read numerous accounts of the Gordy character reacting to "Up The Ladder To The Roof" in the show..which tied for #1 last week with "KInky Boots" , even though "Kinky Boots" won all the Tony Awards, and MOTOWN was shut out..it was still tied for #1 show on Broadway after the Awards show..

kenneth
06-18-2013, 11:20 PM
@Jimi,

Please let us know what you think of the show after you see it. Always like to hear your open and unvarnished opinions!

Kenneth

ejluther
06-19-2013, 10:38 AM
I saw the show and I don't think it's Gordy himself reacting to "Up The Ladder..."; the way I remember it they're trying to get Diana's first solo show filled up and "Up The Ladder..." is heard playing and someone says something like, "Get that off - we don't need to remind them that The Supremes have a big hit without Diana"...something like that. Of course, I could be wrong but, either way, I took it as acknowledgment of two things; that The Supremes continued quite well without Diana and that everyone knew Berry wouldn't like it if they eclipsed her. I was just happy to hear the song itself [[the original recording, I believe). As for "Stoned Love", I always understood Berry thought it was a "drug song" and that's why he didn't like it - he felt the same way about "Cloud Nine" by The Temptations [[another classic Motown track)...

kenneth
06-19-2013, 10:53 AM
As for "Stoned Love", I always understood Berry thought it was a "drug song" and that's why he didn't like it - he felt the same way about "Cloud Nine" by The Temptations [[another classic Motown track)...

I never thought "Stoned Love" was referring to drugs, but definitely I think "Cloud 9" absolutely does. Has it ever been disputed? I can't imagine how. Such a powerful song and the imagery is so vivid. A great Whitfield-Strong composition.

thommg
06-19-2013, 12:45 PM
I never thought "Stoned Love" was referring to drugs, but definitely I think "Cloud 9" absolutely does. Has it ever been disputed? I can't imagine how. Such a powerful song and the imagery is so vivid. A great Whitfield-Strong composition.

I know the song was labeled Stoned Love but Jean clearly sings Stone Love during the song. I never thought it was about drugs, just a strong and heavy love. Cloud 9 has to be about drugs, hands down. I mean, what else could it be.

davidh
06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
i think the first three Jean led supremes albums r great. Touch being my fav with the exception of TIME AND LOVE. but my question is do you all feel that RIGHT ON would be one of the Supremes all time best albums....top 10 lets say???

luke
06-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Jean has said she was never signed as a solo, only as a Supreme.

kenneth
06-19-2013, 06:26 PM
i think the first three Jean led supremes albums r great. Touch being my fav with the exception of TIME AND LOVE. but my question is do you all feel that RIGHT ON would be one of the Supremes all time best albums....top 10 lets say???

I love "Touch" the best of the Jean-led albums also, but my favorite post-Diane LP is "High Energy." I know it didn't sell well but it is so beautifully orchestrated and sung throughout. Of the Ross LPs, I think "Love Child" is by far the best of the later albums, and probably "Where Did Our Love Go" or "More Hits" the best of the early ones.

smark21
06-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Yes, it's one of their finest albums.

davidh
06-19-2013, 09:10 PM
i would agree that LOVE CHILD is really good album along with WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO. I would also say NEW WAYS LOVE STAYS but I am not crazy about Come Together , no matter who sings it.

Ryon6
06-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Dang Davidh, I too love the "Touch" album, my favorite of that era. I don't like "Time and Love" either as well as "Come Together".

Kenneth, "High Energy" is my favorite Scherrie-led Supremes album, too. I like the original mix as well as the released album. I love the "Only You" version of original mix album much better than the released version. Scherrie throws down!!!

marv2
06-19-2013, 10:44 PM

I never related anything in "Stoned Love" to drugs. That mistake in the title is what brought all that on. It was a pure soulful hymn in my opinion. Cloud Nine, on the other had was about escapism via drugs. Funny as a kid when that song was released, we thought they were singing about actually being on a cloud, in heaven. LOL!

"I'm doing fine, up here on Cloud 9......"

marv2
06-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Jean has said she was never signed as a solo, only as a Supreme.

That was the reason Berry Gordy invited her to sign with Motown as a member of the Supremes, never as a solo artist.

franjoy56
06-19-2013, 11:58 PM
That was the reason Berry Gordy invited her to sign with Motown as a member of the Supremes, never as a solo artist.

Right On, High Energy, The Supremes.....in that order.

Where Did Our Love, Supremes Sing Holland Dozier, Supremes A Go Go
Love Child. in that order

kenneth
06-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Dang Davidh, I too love the "Touch" album, my favorite of that era. I don't like "Time and Love" either as well as "Come Together".

Kenneth, "High Energy" is my favorite Scherrie-led Supremes album, too. I like the original mix as well as the released album. I love the "Only You" version of original mix album much better than the released version. Scherrie throws down!!!

Hey, what can I say? Great minds think alike!!!