PDA

View Full Version : Berry Gordy Almost walked out on The Supremes after Diana & He Disagree On Song

test

milven
06-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Motown boss almost walked out on The Supremes after Ross row

June 12th, 2013 8:40pm EDT | By: WENN
Motown founder Berry Gordy came close to giving up on managing The Supremes before the trio made it big because singer Diana Ross was so stubborn.

In a new Master Class interview with Oprah Winfrey, which will air in America on Sunday [[16Jun13), the music mogul reveals he and Ross had a huge argument in Manchester, England when she refused to sing a standard he wanted her to perform live - and the diva only saved her relationship with Gordy by giving in at the last minute, after her manager had already vowed to walk away.

He recalls, "We had agreed that the first song that they would do would be You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You in order to prepare themselves to come back and do it on national TV in America... She had done it once and refused to do it the second time because the audience didn't like it, and she didn't like it either.

"I said, 'I want you to do this, because I want to get you in places like The Copacabana in New York... They want Sammy Davis, Jr., this and that and so forth. But they can only do standards. You can do standards and R&B and other stuff and blues, and everything... I want to expose you to these people.' I had this whole master plan for when we got back; we would just take it and sweep the world.

"I could not explain anything to her [[Ross) that made sense to her. She refused to do it completely. I even told her, 'Look, you're doing it here for a few hundred people; you're going to do it back home for millions. You got to do it.' She said, 'I'm not'. So I walk out and then my life... left. I mean, 'cause if she didn't do it, I knew I could not manage them again. And my life was over."

But his star had a change of mind just before she hit the stage and performed the track.

Gordy adds, "I couldn't believe that it was happening because I was so down and after I realised that she was really doing the song, it was like the happiest day of my life. And I realised how much I really did love this woman... When I told her how happy I was, she just said, 'I did it for you'."

jobeterob
06-13-2013, 01:56 AM
Diana was right; the song bites.

smark21
06-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Diana was right…You’re Nobody is a corny song. I wonder if she had any suggestions of what standard to perform instead? Very telling of Berry that he realizes he loves her when she complies with one of his dictates.

reese
06-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Berry told this story in his book as well as in the new musical. I wonder if Berry is just being dramatic. I find it hard to believe that he would give up on managing an act that had just given him three consecutive #1 pop hits.

motony
06-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Berry Gordy was right. The Supremes gained a big audiance with the Supper Club, Vegas crowds where R& B/Rock artists were looked down on for the most part.

antceleb12
06-13-2013, 10:16 AM
This was in J. Randy Taraborrelli's book, except I don't think he talked about Berry walking out [[I'd have to double check). There's a recording of it from the Motortown Revue [[one of the first time they sang the song), and Diana seems a little uncomfortable with it. I like the song, but I think the uptempo version they later performed is much better.

Methuselah2
06-13-2013, 12:12 PM
"Suddenly, my world stood still
My life was then fulfilled."

"All the love I never knew
I found in you."

"When you came into my life
And made my lonely life a paradise."

"Hello Happiness.
Thanks to you my search has ended."

"And I want the world to see
how gently love has shined on me."

"For it came today.
[[It - the creature from outer space . . . oops, I mean)
Forever Came Today."

Musically--complex, beautiful, fascinating.

Lyric-wise--pure corn.
Corn on the cob. Creamed corn. Candy-corn. Popcorn kernels that refuse to open. A corn on the toe. Somebody call Dr. Scholl--these lyrics need medical attention.

Now there's some lyrics worth refusing, worth walking out on.

And I don't mean its writers, HDH, who--unrelatedly--did.

marybrewster
06-13-2013, 01:16 PM
I agree with reese; there's NO WAY Gordy would have "walked out" on the Supremes.

History once again being rewritten.

Kamasu_Jr
06-13-2013, 02:18 PM
How many times is he gonna tell that story? The Supremes doing standards did seem like they were selling out to some. But Berry Gordy did have a plan.

smark21
06-13-2013, 07:54 PM
From a business standpoint, yes, absolutely, Berry was right. But from an artistry standpoint, Diana Ross was correct to resist adding that song to the Supremes’ show.

LuvHangOva
06-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I didn't mind their version of this when I heard it on "At The Copa". Is it possible it was re worked and re arranged between the time of the spat and their appearance at the Copa??

I was already familiar with Dean Martin's hit version of it before I heard The Supremes do it. Like theirs much better. Had also heard old records of the Mills Brothers' version and probably 50 other versions by various people on Ed Sullivan. So I didn't freak out when I heard this version. Everybody did this song back then: Connie Frances, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Nat King Cole, Pearl Bailey.

I guess it could have been an unadulterated "Stank Fest" before Motown re worked it and polished it but what I heard was okay for me.

LuvHangOva
06-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I didn't mind their version of this when I heard it on "At The Copa". Is it possible it was re worked and re arranged between the time of the spat and their appearance at the Copa??

I was already familiar with Dean Martin's hit version of it before I heard The Supremes do it. Like theirs much better. Had also heard old records of the Mills Brothers' version and probably 50 other versions by various people on Ed Sullivan. So I didn't freak out when I heard this version. Everybody did this song back then: Connie Frances, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Nat King Cole, Pearl Bailey.

I guess the first performances of it could have been an unadulterated "Stank Fest" before Motown re worked it and polished it but what I heard was okay for me.

captainjames
06-13-2013, 09:13 PM
I grew to love it after Mary and Flo started to spice it up a bit with laughter.

midnightman
06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Was he really going to walk out? LOL I think that was overly dramatic...

RossHolloway
06-17-2013, 12:20 PM
I kinda enjoy listening to their live version of this song. There is one tv performance, I think from Hullabaloo, that is outstanding. And you really appreciate the group's vocal skills.

ejluther
06-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Here you go, Ross - one of my favorite TV performances from The Supremes:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m6mx_you-re-nobody-til-somebody-loves-yo_music#.Ub83-DbD-1s

RossHolloway
06-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Ejluther- Yes! That's the clip. What a great performance that is. Man you're quick! Thanks for posting.

REDHOT
06-17-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm a BIG FAN of Berry Gordy,and I LOVE Oprah,but I didn't like the interview,at all,SORRY,Please stay positive

RossHolloway
06-17-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm a BIG FAN of Berry Gordy,and I LOVE Oprah,but I didn't like the interview,at all,SORRY,Please stay positive

I haven't watched the interview. Can you shed some light on it and why you didn't care for it?

skooldem1
06-17-2013, 05:11 PM
For those not familiar with the Master Class series, it is not an interview. It is a person who has excelled in their field. They speak on their life and lessons learned. I thought it was an insightful hour. His life could fill up 2 hours easy.

ejluther
06-17-2013, 05:27 PM
I thought the Master Class was great; he's a very likable guy who tells engaging and good stories...

marv2
06-17-2013, 06:23 PM

The interview was boring and self-serving in my opinion. I much more enjoyed the one with Diahann Carroll.

captainjames
06-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Naw ...that song did not send the girls to the top of the stairs and it did not break them. Berry would have come back later and said he had another song~~~~~~~~