PDA

View Full Version : New birth

test

glencro
06-12-2013, 05:11 AM
"Wild Flower" was their big hit but ran across this great song . I don't much about this group. I could google them but I'm sure my fellow SD Family is more knowledgeable than google. Enlighten me great people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sERWBTS-zpo

Soul Sister
06-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Fabulous group put together by Harvey Fuqua, they are from Louisville. Great male & female lead voices, made some great tracks. "Until It's Time For You To Go" is killer! Of course, "Wildflower", "The Imposible Dream", etc....Check out their first album.

S.S.

daddyacey
06-14-2013, 02:42 AM
"MONSTER " Fabulous ........................

One of the primer "Big Funk Bands" of the era. 'THE NEW BIRTH' , originally in 1970 was made up of "The Nite-Liters" , "The Mint Juleps " ,"The New Sounds" and a singer named Alan Frye.
N.B. was a concept group produced by Harvey Fuqua. The "concept" being in fact the fusion of 5 live acts into one , as one stage entity. [[Pre- ParlimentFunkadelic).

You must study them in chronological order to really understand the history of this group and it's music. There is a lot of music behind The New Birth story. They are truly in need of a serious box set.

The first 4 albums are available as reissued vinyl. Start there.

daddyacey
06-14-2013, 02:44 AM
http://www.thenewbirth.com/

splanky
06-14-2013, 09:01 AM
You must study them in chronological order to really understand the history of this group and it's music. There is a lot of music behind The New Birth story. They are truly in need of a serious box set.
said daddyacey...which is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw this thread. It would
take more time than I have to talk about how much this group, or maybe I should say grouping of groups and musicians has meant to me over the years and while I respect the
Wilson brothers right to carry on using the name New Birth I really never recovered from
the departure of Londee Wiggins. I listened to this woman grow up on record literally! From
the playful young lady on their early cover of Ooo Child to the full voiced woman on I'd Spend My Whole Life Loving You, from her tenure as a Mint Julep to her becoming the group's sole female vocalist...I'll have to get back to this thread...

splanky
06-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Some New Birth trivia: Their backing band The Niteliters pre-dated the Ohio Players in the
use of the term Jive Turkey in a song title.
They recorded the cult classic Got To Get A Knutt which featured simulated sex on a record
before Donna Summer's Love To Love You Baby.
They were one of the few acts to share friendships with both EWF and P-funk especially
their guitarist and drummers
They used former Supreme Susan Greene as lead vocalist, though uncredited at the time
on their big hit Until It's Time For You To Go
Their album cover for their release Love Potion featured a B&W shot of the group entirely
nude. On a sad note they first disbanded shortly after it's release.
In addition to a last Supreme, their early incarnation included a former Marvelette, Ann Bogan via The Wilson Brothers earlier group Love Peace and Happiness.
Anyway a group fans of real soul music would do good to hear more of, not just their "hits"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVHM_BRCJk

Kamasu_Jr
06-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Writer A. Scott Galloway did attempt to tackle the band's origins in the CD release of The New Birth. It was quite complex. There is also a Love Peace and Happiness disc that I play all of the time. Ann Bogan and the Wilson Brothers were not to be played with. My parents didn't like them in the Seventies. They were still into Motown and pop. But they like them now, New Birth that is.